Author Topic: meeting new people  (Read 6561 times)

Offline HelloJJ

• Oni
meeting new people
« on: August 27, 2006, 11:17:23 pm »
Hey, me and a friend were heading to the Con for the first time, wondering if we could get into a group of people who know the program fairly well. We’re in our early 20’s so we’d like folks that are around the same age. Any takers drop a line here or on my myspace. Thanks a lot.

http://www.myspace.com/jubbsp
"When you're at the vending machine, wait until you hear the quarter hit the bottom before you put the next one in"
—My Dad

Offline BlackjackGabbiani

• Bunnygirl
meeting new people
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2006, 11:41:02 pm »
Well, what do you need help with?

Offline HelloJJ

• Oni
meeting new people
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2006, 09:22:27 am »
Oh, sorry I guess I shoulda made it more clear. We’d like to get into a group of people who know more about Kumoricon than we do. Cuz we know nothing, really. But we’d like to make the most of the weekend and take in as much as possible. We just don’t wanna end up wandering around the place not knowing where we should go next. Plus, we’d just like to meet new people with the same hobby as us.
"When you're at the vending machine, wait until you hear the quarter hit the bottom before you put the next one in"
—My Dad

Offline Kouta

• Sailor Scout
    • http://www.myspace.com/yukasumire
meeting new people
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2006, 11:14:23 am »
Most people are pretty willing to talk and stuff...
I dunno my first 2 years of sakuracon I went to, i didn't talk to anyone and still had a blast...
last year's sakuracon i went to a dinner that a buncha people from the message boards setup/went to...
this year's kumoricon has something similar, i'd highly suggest going to that if ya can, is a little bit less hectic at those kinda gatherings and can usually find some cool people to hang around with during the con.
edit: if ya see me walking around feel free to say hi :3 there are actually alot of people our age that go to these kind of things :D

Offline SephiChan

• Sailor Scout
meeting new people
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2006, 06:31:26 pm »
Hey! I'm always looking to meet new people at cons, too. I haven't been to Kumoricon before, but I've been attending other conventions for 6 years, so I know how to get around a con pretty well. I'm 20, and my brother who'll be going with me is 17--I often find I have a hard time meeting people my age at conventions.

If you want to meet up sometime and hang out a bit at the con, let me know! I'd be more than happy.

Offline HelloJJ

• Oni
meeting up
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2006, 01:16:39 am »
Thank you Sephi, that sounds great. I live in Portland so I’ll prolly be at the Con fairly early, tho I’m not even sure what time that should be. Anyway my AIM is listed on my profile if you wanna touch bases that way. So, yeah I guess that’ll about cover it. Thanks again and hope to see you there.
—My Dad

Offline SephiChan

• Sailor Scout
meeting new people
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2006, 01:22:43 am »
Great! I'll add you and IM you when I see you around.
I'm getting to the con when it opens, which I think is 8 or 9, though I'll be at the hotel Friday night too, since I'm coming from out of town. You can pick up your badge at 7:30 Friday night, so I plan on doing that, and would recommend it for you, too. That way you don't have to wait to get in in the morning.

Offline ofbraindoiLack

• Oni
Re: meeting new people
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2007, 04:18:53 pm »
I'm going for my first time to Kumoricon in September...actually, I've never been to a convention before, so I'm kinda nervous, especially since none of my friends are going.

I hope to meet up with a group from a anime/manga/game I like and follow them around >,<''

Offline EveofAbyss

• Bunnygirl
    • Facebook
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2007, 06:10:37 pm »
Well, greetings and welcome! I hope you have a blast. Do you like Final Fantasy? Cause there will be lots of us/cosplayers from that, you'll be sure to find a niche and fall right in. ^_^

Buy my book of poems!
Lord Otaku commands you!

Offline melchizedek

• Bunnygirl
    • Don't play with fire
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2007, 06:28:45 pm »
yeah it is real easy to just dress up as your fav anime character then someone else who likes that anime will be drawn to you.  Also, if they are dressed as a character from the same it'll be like mutual and stuff. 

If it reaches critical mass than maybe a photoshoot will happen ;)
Yaoi crossplay... is actually Yuri.

Offline leashy

• Catgirl
    • http://www.myspace.com/leashychan
« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2007, 08:46:50 pm »
Welcome guys!! It's great that you are here and coming to Kumoricon whoo!! Really your best bet for meeting people and getting to know different aspects of the con is by searching around on the forums.  There is just so much information about things to do at the con, the different panels being planned, gaming contests, etc. 

The con itself is great, you will not be lost or without things to do because there are always people there providing you with resources and information.  Plus you will have your pocket guide to tell you what is happening at all times!

Anyway, welcome again ^^ I am always up for chatting and meeting new people!

Offline TomtheFanboy

• Bunnygirl
    • Twitter
    • Kumoricon Archives
« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2007, 01:42:24 pm »
The forum meet up is going to be late in the day on Saturday (after the lolitas are done with the panel room). That's a perfect time to meet the people you see on these forums!

Also, there's Pocky Club! Pocky Club is a group that's been with Kumoricon for 2 years now (our first meeting was in July of 2005) and we try and keep up with every aspect of the convention because we care about everyone! The Club's purpose is to spread happiness through Pocky and cosplay. We deliver pockygrams for attendees who want to cheer up their friends or thank a staff member for being cool. It's a donation based service that has been very popular every year. Pocky club is a great way to meet people and learn all sorts of stuff about the convention that you won't hear just by going to panels and shows.

Oh, and did I mention I'm the President and Founder and that I am always on the lookout for talented new cosplayers?

Well I guess I have now. My work is done.
Tom the Fanboy
Passion over Pedantry!
Pocky Club President 2005-2010

Offline MongolSamurai

• Oni
« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2007, 02:20:54 pm »
Hey guys, I'm gonna be a new attendee to Kumoricon in September '07, and as of a week ago I'm also new to the portland area, having just moved up from Santa Cruz in CA.

If I can get some repairs done on my costume, I'll be in attendance as Lord Yupa, from Nausicaa. Please take pictures and post them, if you have a camera handy, I didn't get a single one from my last cosplay at Fanime, though about 14 people took snaps of me. :(

I'm interested in finding groups to hook up with so I can get to know people, both con attendees and residents of the portland area. On a side note, I'm also looking for other Miyazaki character cosplayers, and anyone in the area who can do stage prosthetics. My moustache pretty much fell apart, and I need a new one! :(

If anyone knows anything about any of that, please let me know! Contact via IM is fine too.

Thanks!

Offline Antares

• Catgirl
    • http://bellethecat.com
« Reply #13 on: July 28, 2007, 03:05:42 pm »
Welcome! I may be attending as Satsuki from Totoro. If you want to meet people, come to the last two pre-con meetings! I moved to the area last March and was sucked into the fold pretty quickly. Also, Mini-con is being held August 11th! Should be lots of fun and a chance to get to meet people and see the convention site.

My Photos KCON08: http://s165.photobucket.com/albums/u66/wanderergone/Kcon08/

2008 Industry Manager :: 2007 Publicity and Relations Staff :: 2006 Publicity and Relations

Offline Antares

• Catgirl
    • http://bellethecat.com
« Reply #14 on: July 28, 2007, 03:07:35 pm »
The forum meet up is going to be late in the day on Saturday (after the lolitas are done with the panel room). That's a perfect time to meet the people you see on these forums!

Oh good -- I was hoping for a Forum Meet Up! Yay!

My Photos KCON08: http://s165.photobucket.com/albums/u66/wanderergone/Kcon08/

2008 Industry Manager :: 2007 Publicity and Relations Staff :: 2006 Publicity and Relations

Offline Runa

• Catgirl
« Reply #15 on: July 28, 2007, 04:03:42 pm »

Oh good -- I was hoping for a Forum Meet Up! Yay!

I just HOPE it's not during cosplay's scheduled time... as cosplay manager, I'll be totally tied up until it's over..  :D

I've been going to conventions since 1986 and one thing that I've noticed is that attendees are infinitely approachable (and the Guests too!!)... so don't worry: you can meet as many people as you run into - just start up a random conversation. People are always happy to talk about their costumes, the game they're playing or the series they're watching.   See you there   :D

Offline Vondan

• Bunnygirl
    • http://vondan.com
« Reply #16 on: July 28, 2007, 06:26:39 pm »
and most important dont forget to bring those single nerdy girls between 30 and 40.  Bring your  aunt or your older sisiter 
Field Marshall Von Dan

Comander and Chef:  The One Seventy Second Division
President:  DanCo Intergalactic Studios
CEO:  DanCo Interactive
Editor:  DanCo Press LTD
Chancellor:  The Project N.E.R.D.Y. foundation

http://vondan.com

Offline chibiroth

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #17 on: July 28, 2007, 11:51:30 pm »
i am super excited to meet new ppl it is what cons are there for!
Kumoricon 2008 cosplay:

Princess Tutu
Riku- KH
Hunny-Ouran Host Club
Cooking Mama
Alita- Apollo Justice

And a Secret Cosplay hehe :D

Offline TomtheFanboy

• Bunnygirl
    • Twitter
    • Kumoricon Archives
« Reply #18 on: July 30, 2007, 06:33:44 am »
I am currently fighting to keep the Forum meet up and Pocky club panel out of the AMV contest.  :-\
Tom the Fanboy
Passion over Pedantry!
Pocky Club President 2005-2010

Offline superjaz

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #19 on: July 30, 2007, 09:30:59 am »
I am currently fighting to keep the Forum meet up and Pocky club panel out of the AMV contest.  :-\

fighto!!! fighto!!! wheres fighter when you need him?
superjaz, that is jaz with one z count'um ONE z!
Proud mom of 2 awesome kids