Author Topic: Geek/Nerd Bashing in Modern Media  (Read 15754 times)

Offline Romo

• Bunnygirl
Geek/Nerd Bashing in Modern Media
« on: March 22, 2011, 12:43:24 pm »
What kinds of things have you seen? For me, I've seen a few but none too big until yesterday.

I was watching the Disney Channel (don't judge ._.) and then a preview for a new episode of 'Good Luck Charlie!' came on. It's going to revolve around the main girl getting a crush on this guy and then finding out he's a larper, and suddenly he's a big weirdo loser. That kind ticked me off, I don't LARP (or at least haven't yet) but why do that? It's just attacking people that aren't doing anything wrong.

Disney referenced anime once I remember, but it wasn't bashing. It was on Hannah Montana and Lily was wearing a purple wig and someone said "Oh stop it you stuff anime character" or something like that. Anyway, what do you guys think about this? And what have you seen on other channels that are offensive to the geek/nerd community?
Cosplays for 2014:
Day 3
- Billy Joe Cobra (Dude, That's My Ghost!)

Offline DaemonForce

• Sailor Scout
Re: Geek/Nerd Bashing in Modern Media
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2011, 01:36:12 pm »
What do I think about it? I don't.

I saw enough of this kind of thing in school and I don't need media inflating this sort of topic to some dumb fantasy of Hollywood writers that have never experienced any of it in their younger years. These are the type of guys that should be OCd. This is also why I don't watch TV anymore. The idea is that if someone is "different" in some technical way, they are instantly classed a nerd or loser. The bullying from kids about being nerdy is about the same as gay bashing if not just as vicious.

Don't believe me? Then you're probably not alive anyway.

I remember some kind of belief that the nerds are going to be the ones that run the world. This stupid belief is what made everything into such a big deal to the kids that struggle with a correct answer. It creates havoc for those that just want to get through their day with as little drama as possible. I know some parents that adopt the passions and talents of these "nerds" as some kind of unacceptable social condition and they even try to control their kids on this subject. It's really stupid and I guess some people just have nothing better to do since they can't value precision in life. At least they can have fun serving me coffee and biscuits every morning. I'm so forgiving like that. <3

The sheep mentality is that it's okay to pick on talented people because they'll be compensated in the future. This to me, makes no sense. If you want to get something done right, do it right. If not, figure out how. Classing people as geek/nerd makes no sense to me as it shouldn't.
{Death mode} D3 Started 17.May.2011 02:20
Magi: What are you doing?
Me: I'm putting a stop to this. Now.
Magi: You'll die.
Me: I don't believe that.

Offline Romo

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2011, 01:56:03 pm »
I agree about how the bullying thing works, it's just not noticed because 'kids will be kids', the same excuse for why a lot of bullying towards gays is ignored. My school is no different in regards to how they treat different kids, they actually called the local Gaming shop (D&D, Magic, Munchkin, etc.) a place to never go since it's 'run down, old, and full of weirdos' which isn't really true. It is old but that's not a big deal, they talk like it'll collapse but it's stable and fine.

I don't really have a problem with the words 'nerd/geek' because for me, and for people I know, it no longer constitutes as an insult even if that's what it was intended to be. Though I agree, media shouldn't even touch on topics like this because not only does it make the already looked down on population of gamers get even more mockery but it is also unprovoked attack.

Society has reached a point, though it probably reached it decades upon decades upon decades ago, where if you're not acting like a 'normal' person should prepare to be mocked for the slightest differences. Way to promote diversity world!
Cosplays for 2014:
Day 3
- Billy Joe Cobra (Dude, That's My Ghost!)

Offline Washougal_Otaku

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2011, 02:31:55 pm »
Going back to what Romo said, the only episode of Hannah Montana that I watched all the way through was just one long insult to RPG fans (mostly LARPers).  They took it to such a level that the LARPers absolutely refused to acknowledge reality because their game is reality, at least that's the way I saw it.  I know plenty of LARPers, and none of them act like this.  This is just one of MANY examples in the media that geeks ought to be bullied and despised.

However, there's been some examples that geeks can be really cool.  Going back to a Disney show, Recess had a few episodes in which the geeky kids were portrayed as being awesome.  I remember the episode in which they were introduced; they befriended the "leader" of the show's main group of friends.  He sees that they're really fun and pretty cool, especially since one of them was a kid who was once labeled as the cool kid in his grade.  (I think his name was Sedgewick...).

Point is, even though there's a lot of examples of geek bashing (as well as male bashing), there's also some examples (but nowhere near as many, to my knowledge) of how cool geeks can be.

Extra note: The word "nerd" was originally created by Dr. Seuss!  (I think it was the book about running a zoo...)
My cosplay plans for 2022 (thus far): Vanir from Konosuba
My son's plans this year (thus far): Penguin Chiyo-chan from Azumanga Daioh

Offline @random

• Bunnygirl
    • Google+
    • Cosplay.com account, dreadfully outdated
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2011, 02:40:37 pm »
^^ I'm told the 50s were just as bad if not worse in a lot of ways. But it seems like during this decade, we've gone on an extremely rapid slide back toward considering nonconformity reprehensible.

One thing I just don't get... mockery of people for being socially awkward, while wrong, is at least understandable. But how the heck can you rationalize making it an insult to be intelligent or academically successful? That's what modern usage of "nerd" started out as, and IMO that's what drives a lot of the political bluster such as "intellectual elitists".

^ If you really want to get your blood boiling, watch the episode of Quantum Leap where he jumps into a woman's body to save her son from the D&D players.
This is my serious voice. Otherwise, I'm just another anime fan, not a moderator.

Offline Washougal_Otaku

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2011, 02:43:41 pm »
^ If you really want to get your blood boiling, watch the episode of Quantum Leap where he jumps into a woman's body to save her son from the D&D players.

I think I've seen that one, but it's been so long since I've seen that show.  I don't remember too many of those, to be honest...

Offline Saki-the-cat

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2011, 03:17:07 pm »
This is actually a main reason why i don't watch TV anymore. I remember back in the 90's and early 2000's when networks like Nickelodeon actually encouraged kids to be themselves, and that's what i grew up on. I shouldn't let people get me down because i like something and have a hobby, right? Now days it seems that if you don't like what's popular, you're just a dumb loser. If you're different and trying not to be like all of these 11-year-old 18-year-old wannabes(a.k.a. young kids growing up WAY too fast), you're just stupid.
What the Hell?
What happened to "be yourself"? Where did that go? What happened to all of these TV ads telling kids to not let you down if people are being bullys? The media now days is basically corrupting kids minds into thinking that "as long as you're popular, you'll be just fine".
That's just not cool, man.

Offline Man of the Public

• Catgirl
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2011, 04:15:20 pm »
I can kinda excuse that one since Leap was airing when DnD was being demonized in the media as a whole.

And the portrayal of geeks in media wont be changing unless geekdom loses the stigma of being social awkward basement dwellers that eat cheetos all day and rarely bathes. While the majority of geeks are not basement dwellers, that is what people stereotypical think of when they hear the word geek/nerd.

As for personal stories I never really got teased for my geeky habits, partly due to how small my school was, my very large gambit of friends, and my inability to give a damn what other people think. Sure sometimes when I played DnD after school some stupid kids would laugh and yell at us but we never payed them much mind besides calling them names that would have PVG on my ass if I repeated them here.

Offline Washougal_Otaku

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2011, 04:31:04 pm »
In my case, none of us geeks were picked on for doing any RPG games or anything; if we were picked on, it'd be for other reasons that rarely involved "geekdom."  It'd be stuff like laughing at videos we'd watch in class that were morbid, talking about funny theories for world demonstration, being the only people in our chemistry class to get A's on a tough test, (okay, I guess that one was sort of in the "geekdom" realm).

Offline jaybug

• Catgirl
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2011, 05:29:27 pm »
The ABC sitcom Happy Days is credited with popularizing the word "nerd".
Have Fun

Jay

Offline Classy Viking

• Chibi
    • My Random the Thoughts through the Days
« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2011, 05:47:20 pm »
Overall, I don't tend to get upset when mainstream medias use the negative Geek Stereotypes in whatever shows. Because the characters are fictional and thus don't represent me or my hobbies as a whole. Also it helps that most the writers on those shows probably are nerds themselves. Sure sometimes there are examples that are really Narmful  but I tend to forget about them.

One of the reasons that the stereotypes are still around in the media, is that not many shows are showing off Nerd characters that aren't those stereotypes. But overall it's whatever.
BUNCH OF BABY DUCKS
SEEND THEM TO THE MOON~

Junior Cadet of the TD BRO CHAD

My [Censored] belong to Nikki J

Offline reppy

• Bunnygirl
    • http://www.animemsn.com
« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2011, 06:03:27 pm »
There was some kid who was in 5th grade, while I was in 6th, that would always call me a "nerd" for some reason.  Not really sure why.  At that time, a lot of my classmates thought I was "evil" because I had long hair, wore band t-shirts, and liked Marilyn Manson.  XD

How he'll know I was a nerd . . I'll never know!

Clark Anime: http://clarkanime.com
Facebook: http://facebook.com/reppy
Kumoricon 2005-10 galleries: http://dunpeal.net/gallery

Offline MiriaRose

• Bunnygirl
    • The Kingdom of Heaven
« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2011, 06:14:57 pm »
I laugh whenever I see nerd/geek stereotypes in the media, because they're so different than the stereotype that I would use.

I don't really watch television anymore, though. It'd probably bug me a lot more if I did.
"Would you kindly. ."

Offline DancingTofu

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2011, 08:02:22 pm »
I've seen a lot more shows that glorify nerdiness than criticize it--Phineas and Ferb, Dexter's Lab, and Powerpuff Girls are all examples of childrens' shows where main protagonists are extremely nerdy/intellectual and those characters are generally respected for their intellectual qualities.
moderators gonna moderate </shrug>

Offline ~boogiepop~

• Bunnygirl
    • Glorious Me
« Reply #14 on: March 23, 2011, 10:50:49 am »
Should all the hipsters, jocks, preps, goths, and all the people that are different races and come from different places and more be mad too?

No every nerd isn't like that, I don't think most people think that. I don't think all Italians are in gangs, I don't think every person on the football field is retarded, I don't think all people who smoke pot have no goals in life, and I don't think that all popular blond cheerleaders are sluts and are terrible people.

They are all stereotypes taken to an extreme to be amusing. Would it be as funny if someone was just the average person that just lays on their bed and reads comic books and they got flack because of that? No. And I've seen just as many cartoons/television shows building up the popular girl to be some evil bitch that backstabs everyone, and I've met plenty of them who were really nice and pleasant and wouldn't say anything bad about anyone.

It's like a bunch of people here getting pissed off when Portlandia came out because "It didn't properly represent Portland, everyone will think we act like AND WE DON'T. That and all the young children will come here because they think they don't have to work." Aalkfdksaf I raged forever, people need to stop taking things so seriously and learn to laugh at themselves while they laugh at all the other stereotypes, hurrr.

Just my two cents.

EDIT: Also I'm not condoning this **** going on irl, I've gotten bullied before and I've watched people from every click in school get bullied before (Even football players and popular girls!). It happens to every type of person. Just stating that I think people should loosen up a bit about the tv thing.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2011, 10:54:00 am by ~boogiepop~ »
WHY DO THE FORUMS SUCK SO BAD?

~2012 cosplay mofos~
Ramona Flowers- Scott Pilgrim, Miria Harvent- Baccano!, Filia- Skullgirls, Milk- Pop'n Music

Offline jaybug

• Catgirl
« Reply #15 on: March 23, 2011, 03:40:04 pm »
Nerds may be respected for their intellectual abilities, but they are still laughed at for all their other peccadilloes.

Can I throw in that all dad's on TV are idiots. How many since the Cosby show featured the dad as not some moron?

It's like Hollywood is double reinforcing the dumbing down of America, with people that used to be admired, to now be ridiculed, and laughed at.
Have Fun

Jay

Offline Washougal_Otaku

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #16 on: March 23, 2011, 03:52:08 pm »
Can I throw in that all dad's on TV are idiots. How many since the Cosby show featured the dad as not some moron?

Home Improvement. ;D

The father in Two & A Half Men seems to be a non-moron (though he does seem like a doofus); I've only seen a few episodes, though.

John Kent in Smallville was an awesome father!

My brain has fallen apart, because these are the only examples I can think of at the moment...

Offline Saki-the-cat

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #17 on: March 24, 2011, 12:33:24 am »
@Washougal_Otaku
Just about every show on Nick at night.

Offline MiriaRose

• Bunnygirl
    • The Kingdom of Heaven
« Reply #18 on: March 24, 2011, 12:55:27 pm »
Should all the hipsters, jocks, preps, goths, and all the people that are different races and come from different places and more be mad too?

No every nerd isn't like that, I don't think most people think that. I don't think all Italians are in gangs, I don't think every person on the football field is retarded, I don't think all people who smoke pot have no goals in life, and I don't think that all popular blond cheerleaders are sluts and are terrible people.

They are all stereotypes taken to an extreme to be amusing. Would it be as funny if someone was just the average person that just lays on their bed and reads comic books and they got flack because of that? No. And I've seen just as many cartoons/television shows building up the popular girl to be some evil bitch that backstabs everyone, and I've met plenty of them who were really nice and pleasant and wouldn't say anything bad about anyone.

It's like a bunch of people here getting pissed off when Portlandia came out because "It didn't properly represent Portland, everyone will think we act like AND WE DON'T. That and all the young children will come here because they think they don't have to work." Aalkfdksaf I raged forever, people need to stop taking things so seriously and learn to laugh at themselves while they laugh at all the other stereotypes, hurrr.

Just my two cents.

EDIT: Also I'm not condoning this **** going on irl, I've gotten bullied before and I've watched people from every click in school get bullied before (Even football players and popular girls!). It happens to every type of person. Just stating that I think people should loosen up a bit about the tv thing.
Yes. Yes they should be. It isn't about laughing yourself and all of the other stereotypes. People honest-to-god believe this sort of thing, especially when it's propagated by the media.

It's annoying to see Depraved Bisexuals in the media for me, unless they're done really well (and they often aren't). It's annoying to see "stereotypical" women. It's annoying to see all of the goths be whiny kids who cut themselves and who bring guns to school.

It isn't annoying if there are other characters who are bisexual, female, or goth, for example, who are normal, but when that's the ONLY character or even worse, when ALL of the characters are like that, it's frustrating.

It's really discussion-killing to just tell people, "hurr hurr don't take everything so seriously it's not offensive," and really rude.
"Would you kindly. ."

Offline DaemonForce

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #19 on: March 24, 2011, 01:28:42 pm »
It's annoying to see "stereotypical" women.
Wtf does this mean? o_o
It's annoying to see all of the goths be whiny kids who cut themselves and who bring guns to school.
I hate to say it but that's not goth. That sounds more like emo and we all know it's full of suck. Do not want! >.>'

*hides*

Offline ~boogiepop~

• Bunnygirl
    • Glorious Me
« Reply #20 on: March 24, 2011, 01:49:16 pm »
Yes. Yes they should be. It isn't about laughing yourself and all of the other stereotypes. People honest-to-god believe this sort of thing, especially when it's propagated by the media.It's annoying to see Depraved Bisexuals in the media for me, unless they're done really well (and they often aren't). It's annoying to see "stereotypical" women. It's annoying to see all of the goths be whiny kids who cut themselves and who bring guns to school.
It isn't annoying if there are other characters who are bisexual, female, or goth, for example, who are normal, but when that's the ONLY character or even worse, when ALL of the characters are like that, it's frustrating.
Though I have met some people who do, I haven't run across a plethora of people who actually believe everyone is like their said stereotypes so I just don't feel like it's a big deal to take offense to it. If that is something you have to deal with a lot, I dunno, I just wouldn't associate with those people so I don't have to hear that [Mod edit by JeffT: removed inappropriate language]. AGAIN, that's just how I feel. I was raised in a family based around humor and finding something funny in pretty much everything ranging from something silly someone did to a death in the family. I find that life is a lot more fun with laughter. That and I'm not easily offended at all.

And I, personally, get annoyed when I'm chilling with my bros, watching a show or a comedy routine, and something they associate with gets made fun of with a stereotype, and they flip out. Especially when they were laughing at everything else. I highly doubt anyone on this forum hasn't found SOME sort of extreme stereotype funny. The nicest people I know who wouldn't say anything bad about anyone and have the purest souls, I've seen laugh at stereotypes. So I just find it silly and hypocritical to get mad at one part and not it as a whole, which is why I usually stress people to "Just not take things so seriously."

It's really discussion-killing to just tell people, "hurr hurr don't take everything so seriously it's not offensive," and really rude.
It's my opinion, that's how I feel about the situation. I said it was my two cents, and you had something to say back about what I said so it's not really discussion killing and the only part of it I can see being taken as rude is the "hurr" I added at the end of it. Which I apologize as that's just the way I talk (anyone who knows me irl can vouch for that) and didn't mean it to offend people.

[Mod edit by JeffT: Removed inappropriate language]
« Last Edit: March 24, 2011, 06:25:28 pm by JeffT »

~2012 cosplay mofos~
Ramona Flowers- Scott Pilgrim, Miria Harvent- Baccano!, Filia- Skullgirls, Milk- Pop'n Music

Offline kalark

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #21 on: March 24, 2011, 01:59:21 pm »

Yes. Yes they should be. It isn't about laughing yourself and all of the other stereotypes. People honest-to-god believe this sort of thing, especially when it's propagated by the media.

It's annoying to see Depraved Bisexuals in the media for me, unless they're done really well (and they often aren't). It's annoying to see "stereotypical" women. It's annoying to see all of the goths be whiny kids who cut themselves and who bring guns to school.

BAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHA

But I guess to actually add something to this post. It's the media, they blow stuff up to make it more interesting. Deal with it :]

« Last Edit: March 24, 2011, 02:00:45 pm by kalark »

Offline Washougal_Otaku

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #22 on: March 25, 2011, 11:10:03 am »
@Washougal_Otaku
Just about every show on Nick at night.

Are those shows after the Bill Cosby Show?  I haven't watched Nick at Nite in a long time, and I don't have TV at the moment.

Offline @random

• Bunnygirl
    • Google+
« Reply #23 on: March 25, 2011, 07:40:34 pm »

Just my two cents.

There are a lot of reasons I just don't bother paying attention to American popular culture anymore; this is one of them. There are two ways it usually gets played off: Some permutation of "it's okay because it's just a different opinion", or "it's okay because it's funny". IMO, they both fail on the same grounds - the fact that crap like this gets repeated over and over and over.

If something is "just a joke haha", then constant repetition quickly makes it not funny. If you're going to tell the same joke over and over, at least be clever about it. It's not funny to see the 738th straight portrayal of Depraved Bisexual, Psycho Lesbian, Fly Token Nonwhite Character, Clueless Dad, etc - subvert the audience's expectations once in a while, for Pete's sake. (TV Tropes lists a lot of ways to do that.)

And if it's "just an opinion geez", then constant repetition begs the question of "Why?" If I know what someone's opinion is, I don't need or want to hear it over and over - I want to hear a logical rationale defending it. Without that, constant repetition is no more than "Four legs good, two legs better", i.e. trying to make people change their minds by creating the (usually false) impression that "Everyone else believes it, so you're just a weirdo if you don't agree."  Propaganda.

"Jokes" or "opinions" that denigrate people could be compared to poking someone... once or twice, only an ill-tempered old codger like me would get peeved about it. But when you do it over and over, it's going to get on just about anyone's nerves.
This is my serious voice. Otherwise, I'm just another anime fan, not a moderator.

Offline MiriaRose

• Bunnygirl
    • The Kingdom of Heaven
« Reply #24 on: March 25, 2011, 08:28:33 pm »
It's annoying to see "stereotypical" women.
Wtf does this mean? o_o
Insane mood swings, getting mad over petty things, spends too much money, gets mad at husband for silly things, etc. Basically, every sitcom wife you've ever seen.

It's annoying to see all of the goths be whiny kids who cut themselves and who bring guns to school.
I hate to say it but that's not goth. That sounds more like emo and we all know it's full of suck. Do not want! >.>'

*hides*
That's not even emo, it's a stereotype of emo.

Yes. Yes they should be. It isn't about laughing yourself and all of the other stereotypes. People honest-to-god believe this sort of thing, especially when it's propagated by the media.It's annoying to see Depraved Bisexuals in the media for me, unless they're done really well (and they often aren't). It's annoying to see "stereotypical" women. It's annoying to see all of the goths be whiny kids who cut themselves and who bring guns to school.
Though I have met some people who do, I haven't run across a plethora of people who actually believe everyone is like their said stereotypes so I just don't feel like it's a big deal to take offense to it. If that is something you have to deal with a lot, I dunno, I just wouldn't associate with those people so I don't have to hear that [Mod edit by JeffT: removed inappropriate language]. AGAIN, that's just how I feel. I was raised in a family based around humor and finding something funny in pretty much everything ranging from something silly someone did to a death in the family. I find that life is a lot more fun with laughter. That and I'm not easily offended at all.

And I, personally, get annoyed when I'm chilling with my bros, watching a show or a comedy routine, and something they associate with gets made fun of with a stereotype, and they flip out. Especially when they were laughing at everything else. I highly doubt anyone on this forum hasn't found SOME sort of extreme stereotype funny. The nicest people I know who wouldn't say anything bad about anyone and have the purest souls, I've seen laugh at stereotypes. So I just find it silly and hypocritical to get mad at one part and not it as a whole, which is why I usually stress people to "Just not take things so seriously."
I don't associate myself with those people. That doesn't mean I don't hear it. Honestly? I've got a sense of humour, too, even for things that could be considered offensive, but when people get offended I don't tell them "don't take it seriously." It's a discussion-killer, and it's just insulting.

As for stereotypes in the media, again, people seriously believe this stuff. I wish I was kidding, but I'm not. The media has a large influence over people. It sucks, but it's true.

It's my opinion, that's how I feel about the situation. I said it was my two cents, and you had something to say back about what I said so it's not really discussion killing and the only part of it I can see being taken as rude is the "hurr" I added at the end of it. Which I apologize as that's just the way I talk (anyone who knows me irl can vouch for that) and didn't mean it to offend people.

[Mod edit by JeffT: Removed inappropriate language]
I've noticed when people are offended and someone tells them not to take it so seriously, they have a right to be offended. When the media goes and basically says, "All x are like this," it is offensive, because again, people believe it. When there's so few positive examples of whatever group you are a part of on television, it's frustrating.

BAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHA

But I guess to actually add something to this post. It's the media, they blow stuff up to make it more interesting. Deal with it :]

Which of course makes it all more boring, killing their original intention, and just makes it all frustrating. Deal with it. :]

Randompvg, thank you for saying what I attempted to say in a much better fashion. Also, subversions of stereotypes are amazing, as are deconstructions.
"Would you kindly. ."

Offline DaemonForce

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #25 on: March 25, 2011, 09:05:14 pm »
Insane mood swings, getting mad over petty things, spends too much money, gets mad at husband for silly things, etc. Basically, every sitcom wife you've ever seen.
So 90% of the insane girls that make it a point to always talk to me when working?
And it still sucks. >.>'
I was raised in a family based around humor and finding something funny in pretty much everything ranging from something silly someone did to a death in the family. I find that life is a lot more fun with laughter. That and I'm not easily offended at all.
*pulls up a slide of the most tasteless 9/11 humor ever imagined starring Tom Petty...*
How about now? :3
I've noticed when people are offended and someone tells them not to take it so seriously, they have a right to be offended.
This isn't the case with me. Everyone immediately jumps on what I say to tell me I have no right to be offended. These are the same people that aren't worthy of carrying my bags. I should just make a robot but my previous experiences with them prove that they're just as liable to screw things up worse than people can. Also, my last job pretty much put that final nail in the coffin. Good help is so hard to come by these days. (;ω;)

Offline Washougal_Otaku

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #26 on: March 25, 2011, 09:30:15 pm »
I should just make a robot but my previous experiences with them prove that they're just as liable to screw things up worse than people can. Also, my last job pretty much put that final nail in the coffin. Good help is so hard to come by these days. (;ω;)

My respect for you has just been quadrupledcubed+2.

Offline MiriaRose

• Bunnygirl
    • The Kingdom of Heaven
« Reply #27 on: March 25, 2011, 09:40:44 pm »
So 90% of the insane girls that make it a point to always talk to me when working?
Where do you work, out of curiosity? If they're random girls you don't know, then you really can't judge that.

And it still sucks. >.>'
Never denied that.

I was raised in a family based around humor and finding something funny in pretty much everything ranging from something silly someone did to a death in the family. I find that life is a lot more fun with laughter. That and I'm not easily offended at all.
*pulls up a slide of the most tasteless 9/11 humor ever imagined starring Tom Petty...*
That was Boogiepop, not me, who typed that.  ;)

I've noticed when people are offended and someone tells them not to take it so seriously, they have a right to be offended.
This isn't the case with me. Everyone immediately jumps on what I say to tell me I have no right to be offended. These are the same people that aren't worthy of carrying my bags. I should just make a robot but my previous experiences with them prove that they're just as liable to screw things up worse than people can. Also, my last job pretty much put that final nail in the coffin. Good help is so hard to come by these days. (;ω;)
I'm not talking about what other people think here. What have people said you have no right to be offended about?
"Would you kindly. ."

Offline DaemonForce

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #28 on: March 25, 2011, 10:05:58 pm »
Where do you work, out of curiosity? If they're random girls you don't know, then you really can't judge that.
That's a topic for a new thread. Lets just say I finally made McDonalds start to buckle. Random is one thing I can count on but I can accurately crunch the numbers when it comes to people that work with me. Either way, I don't really know any of them. I don't let myself get attached to people anymore. Any actions of mine that make me seem at all interested are blatantly forced in order to hide this fact. People give me too much trouble when they think I'm heartless.
That was Boogiepop, not me, who typed that.  ;)
K. :)
What have people said you have no right to be offended about?
I don't want to mention specific situations because they sucked that badly. It's something that often happens when certain people discover I have a very powerful skill and they take advantage of that and my broken emotions. When I finally decline to let someone use me, they either rage at me when I tell them I need space or they lie to my face to keep the abuse going. Some people's actions are simply unacceptable and completely offensive to me. It gets exponentially worse when I have to mimic this horrible behavior just to get them to leave me the hell alone. God forbid I ever tell them that I'm offended by what they're doing since they always blow up in my face to say that I have no right. **** that noise. >.>'

I hope the last guy learned his lesson. I know the girl before him still hasn't.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2011, 10:07:52 pm by DaemonForce »

Offline MiriaRose

• Bunnygirl
    • The Kingdom of Heaven
« Reply #29 on: March 25, 2011, 10:11:50 pm »
That's a topic for a new thread. Lets just say I finally made McDonalds start to buckle. Random is one thing I can count on but I can accurately crunch the numbers when it comes to people that work with me. Either way, I don't really know any of them. I don't let myself get attached to people anymore. Any actions of mine that make me seem at all interested are blatantly forced in order to hide this fact. People give me too much trouble when they think I'm heartless.
Considering where you work, it's likely 90% of the people you'd see are crazy. I've seen some weird people in McDonald's restaurants.

What have people said you have no right to be offended about?
I don't want to mention specific situations because they sucked that badly. It's something that often happens when certain people discover I have a very powerful skill and they take advantage of that and my broken emotions. When I finally decline to let someone use me, they either rage at me when I tell them I need space or they lie to my face to keep the abuse going. Some people's actions are simply unacceptable and completely offensive to me. It gets exponentially worse when I have to mimic this horrible behavior just to get them to leave me the hell alone. God forbid I ever tell them that I'm offended by what they're doing since they always blow up in my face to say that I have no right. **** that noise. >.>'

I hope the last guy learned his lesson. I know the girl before him still hasn't.
And you have every right to be offended.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2011, 11:04:07 pm by MiriaRose »
"Would you kindly. ."

Offline ~boogiepop~

• Bunnygirl
    • Glorious Me
« Reply #30 on: March 25, 2011, 10:57:57 pm »
I don't associate myself with those people. That doesn't mean I don't hear it. Honestly? I've got a sense of humour, too, even for things that could be considered offensive, but when people get offended I don't tell them "don't take it seriously." It's a discussion-killer, and it's just insulting.

Well I'm sorry that I've insulted you or anyone else then. I have said that to many people before and I cannot think of one time that offended anyone, I've only ever gotten "Hey man, I needed someone to say that because I'm taking the situation so hard, thanks."

Hell, I've needed it said to myself before and I was grateful that someone pointed it out.

And again, topic of discussion, I felt like sharing my opinions. No one needs to take what I say to heart at all.

Free Falling?

Seen it. Chuckled. I'm well aware that I'm a terrible person. I'm de-sensitized to the max because of the stuff my family would joke about (I would give examples but I'm sure people more people would hate me on here then they already do, hahaha). Doesn't mean I wish for terrible things to befall people like mass deaths and the such and I'm not compassionate though.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2011, 11:01:49 pm by ~boogiepop~ »

~2012 cosplay mofos~

Offline DaemonForce

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #31 on: March 26, 2011, 12:05:20 am »
And again, topic of discussion, I felt like sharing my opinions. No one needs to take what I say to heart at all.

Free Falling?
Ahahahaah! You tickle my heart strings and that makes you awesome. :3

Offline Chibachi Nero

• Catgirl
« Reply #32 on: March 26, 2011, 03:32:26 pm »
Most of the media I consume is pretty geeky itself, so there's not really any bashing there. But I have noticed, watching things like Disney Channel or Nickelodeon with my little sister, that the whole message of 'be yourself, you don't have to conform to be liked, don't let other people change you' that I grew up watching is pretty much gone. It hasn't necessarily been replaced with 'be popular or no one will liek you!', but it seems to me that in a lot of popular media for younger kids, the idea of teaching them something through the story has been dropped entirely in favor of goofy plots and stereotyped, one-dimensional characters who only exist to deliver punchlines. /rant

Regarding stereotypes, I think they're only really 'bad' when they're presented as being an accurate representation of an entire population. I wouldn't take offense to a geeky character who was a stereotypical basement-dwelling antisocial loser if in the same show/book/whatever there were other characters with similar interests who were portrayed as normal people. I agree with the people earlier who said that they could laugh at stereotypes, but I think they get offensive really fast when nobody isn't a stereotype. It's totally cool with me if a character is a Depraved Bisexual, as long as the doesn't make it look like every bisexual person is depraved.

tl;dr version: stereotypes are fun as long as we remember that they're not actually what everyone's like.

Offline Dubaby

• Catgirl
    • My Cosplay.com account
« Reply #33 on: March 26, 2011, 11:08:38 pm »
Kind of skimmed though this, didn't read everything since everyone seems to be writing mini tomes on the subject....

Stereotypes have always been around for as long as media has played a role in our society, it is not a sudden dark mark on television or movies. YES there are times where the depictions of geeks/nerds is a little over the top, but most of what you see in fictional media is supposed to be exaggerated. The only time I've honestly seen the concepts of a tv show really change the perceptions of a person is in younger individuals, at which point it is up to the parents to monitor what their kids are watching if they think it's a problem.

IT'S JUST TELEVISION! I know it seems blasphemous to say that, but honestly I feel like there is a pretty equal gambit of negative and positive 'nerd' depictions on todays television.... in fact in the past 5 years or so there seems to have been a huge increase in the viewpoint of nerdy being 'cool.'

So yeah I do see where ~boogie~ is coming from in saying not to take it too seriously.... I also tend to get irritated in this issue because for as much as people generally complain about stereotypes, they will encourage and nourish stereotypes of other groups without even realizing it. That's the sucky truth of our society, you can try and make a difference amongst the people you know, but it's going to be a VERY long time before media does anything similar.
Junior Cadet of TD BRO CHAD

Offline MiriaRose

• Bunnygirl
    • The Kingdom of Heaven
« Reply #34 on: March 26, 2011, 11:20:12 pm »
Most of the media I consume is pretty geeky itself, so there's not really any bashing there. But I have noticed, watching things like Disney Channel or Nickelodeon with my little sister, that the whole message of 'be yourself, you don't have to conform to be liked, don't let other people change you' that I grew up watching is pretty much gone. It hasn't necessarily been replaced with 'be popular or no one will liek you!', but it seems to me that in a lot of popular media for younger kids, the idea of teaching them something through the story has been dropped entirely in favor of goofy plots and stereotyped, one-dimensional characters who only exist to deliver punchlines. /rant

Regarding stereotypes, I think they're only really 'bad' when they're presented as being an accurate representation of an entire population. I wouldn't take offense to a geeky character who was a stereotypical basement-dwelling antisocial loser if in the same show/book/whatever there were other characters with similar interests who were portrayed as normal people. I agree with the people earlier who said that they could laugh at stereotypes, but I think they get offensive really fast when nobody isn't a stereotype. It's totally cool with me if a character is a Depraved Bisexual, as long as the doesn't make it look like every bisexual person is depraved.

tl;dr version: stereotypes are fun as long as we remember that they're not actually what everyone's like.
Which is exactly what I was trying to say. :3
"Would you kindly. ."

Offline Ikuy

• Oni
« Reply #35 on: March 27, 2011, 12:14:44 am »
Considering where you work, it's likely 90% of the people you'd see are crazy. I've seen some weird people in McDonald's restaurants.

That's an awful and judgmental stereotype. As someone who has frequented McDonald's, I am highly offended by your comment.

Offline DaemonForce

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #36 on: March 27, 2011, 12:25:53 am »
That's an awful and judgmental stereotype. As someone who has frequented McDonald's, I am highly offended by your comment.
Get back in line or come to Subway. You will not be disappoint! :3

Offline Prinz Eugen

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #37 on: August 24, 2011, 01:35:43 am »
I can't remember the exact day or month, but sometime in 1999 or 2000 I stopped watching TV also.
There was just nothing on that I could find that engaged me, and there were no characters I could relate to.
After discovering anime shows I haven't had a need to go back, and I'm certainly not going to BUY or PAY FOR anything like cable stations unless something RIGHT UP MY ALLEY comes along. But that becomes ever more remote, because since I'm not "in the system" i.e, ("why do you think the call it programming,") then my own preferecnes and values remain on their own course, which means each passing week, TV shows and pop culture gets less and less relatable to me...

One thing that I felt was really cool in anime was that when the teacher calls on a BRIGHT KID in class, gives him or her a tough question and the pupil GETS IT RIGHT, the class lets out a "huzzah" of wonderment and approval. Here in the US, if you're the brainy kid in class you get laughed at in the classroom and probably beat up behind the gym.

Offline Venusgate

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #38 on: August 24, 2011, 04:16:03 am »
Rise, zombie thread, RIIIIISE!

Anyway, to make my joke on topic, i suppose:
You're only a victim of a stereotype if you don't accept who you are.
If I see a news story about someone who is doing something nerdy on purpose, I think, good for them!
...NEVER KNOWS BEST

Offline Saki-the-cat

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #39 on: August 24, 2011, 09:07:04 am »
This would probably be a bad time to bring up that ComicCon news report.

Or Fanboy and Chumchum.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2011, 09:09:12 am by Saki-the-cat »

Offline Chibachi Nero

• Catgirl
« Reply #40 on: August 24, 2011, 11:19:19 am »
Oh god, that news report. And then she did that followup where she completely backtracked. I mean, I do kind of agree with what she said in her followup, but absolutely none of that was even implied in her original report. I also liked how she completely cut off the woman she was interviewing once she started to prove her wrong. That was so classy, really.

Offline Washougal_Otaku

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #41 on: August 24, 2011, 10:24:53 pm »

I used to work at a McDonald's.  Aside from me, there were maybe 5% of those that came in that were "crazy."

Offline MiriaRose

• Bunnygirl
    • The Kingdom of Heaven
« Reply #42 on: August 25, 2011, 12:25:29 am »

I used to work at a McDonald's.  Aside from me, there were maybe 5% of those that came in that were "crazy."
holy necromancing batman

That was from five months ago.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2011, 12:39:07 am by MiriaRose »
"Would you kindly. ."

Offline maydrock

• Chibi
« Reply #43 on: August 25, 2011, 01:11:44 am »
srry for sounding stupid but whats a larper

Offline sushisoap

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #44 on: August 25, 2011, 01:18:20 am »
Not a stupid question at all :3 LARPer = Live Action Role Player

So kind of like cosplayers. But more along the lines of actually acting out fights/scenes.
2012 cosplays:

0% done // 5% done // 0% done

Offline Washougal_Otaku

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #45 on: August 25, 2011, 01:29:05 am »

I used to work at a McDonald's.  Aside from me, there were maybe 5% of those that came in that were "crazy."
holy necromancing batman

That was from five months ago.

Yeah, but it was one of the last posts made in this thread, and I haven't been in here for quite some time, so it's new to me.

Offline @random

• Bunnygirl
    • Google+
« Reply #46 on: September 24, 2011, 08:11:53 am »
Not a stupid question at all :3 LARPer = Live Action Role Player

So kind of like cosplayers. But more along the lines of actually acting out fights/scenes.

So kind of like cosplayers at a photo shoot?  ;)