Author Topic: Why do you cosplay?  (Read 1478 times)

Offline TurboSaiyanJason

• Bunnygirl
Why do you cosplay?
« on: March 04, 2010, 03:49:24 pm »
I know this may be a topic already covered, but it's always good to remind oneself.
Just as Shinji Ikari asked "Why do you pilot Eva?"

What is your personal reason to cosplay and why?
Do you do it for personal satisfaction, for the praise of others, or to follow the crowd? Or are there other reasons?

Go...
Cosplays for Kumoricon 2014
Day 1 Fix-it Felix Jr. (w/ gold sledge)
Day 2 Hitmonchan and Kenny
Day 3 SS Future Trunks (DBZ)
Day 4 Jason Silverheart Pirate OC
Sonic The Hedgehog Kigurumi

Offline Felix

• Bunnygirl
Re: Why do you cosplay?
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2010, 06:02:41 pm »
It gives me an excuse to make costumes. 8D
Done: Blue Spirit (A:tLA), Sollux Captor (HS)
will do: Yukio (AnE), Robin (YJ), genderbent Nilus (MAOH), Dave and Signless (Homestuck); other things I'm forgetting

Offline steelychan

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2010, 06:13:24 pm »
well, im new to cosplaying but i enjoy people coming up to me and saying "wow! thats an amazing cosplay." Its all in the compliments. That and I can be any anime character I wanna be. I could be a guy or a girl. I've never tried to be a guy before so it'll be interesting to be a gender I'm not.
Kumoricon 2011 cosplays:
Day0: Hunny (Ouran Host Club) COMPLETE
Day1 (possibly late night panels): Ran Mao (Black Butler) 50%
Day2: Kaoru Hitachin (Ouran Host Club) 90%
Ball/Rave: May (pokemon)
Day3: pirate

Offline NARUNIK

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2010, 06:15:13 pm »
1. TO WIN A MANGA CONTEST!
2. To be a ninja.
3. To hide in a box.
4. To have a big sword.
5. To have a devil arm...sorta..

But seriously after these cosplays im just going to do like one per year. I really want to be a manga-ka. So Im going to work hard! ( even all the teachers are pissed theres drawings all over my work)

Offline soundninja12

• Bunnygirl
    • ILOVEYOUGUYSSOMUCH
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2010, 06:28:23 pm »
To escape.
'nuff said
Next con: Kumoricon
Make sure to pop in to the Tiptoe Through the TARDIS panel this year.
It is going to be...

oslapedo

« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2010, 06:31:37 pm »
^ Pretty much. People that think that cosplay isn't escapism are more disillusioned than those who fess up to it.

And it's funnn.

Offline Konan-ChanX3

• Bunnygirl
    • My Deviant Art
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2010, 06:38:53 pm »
to escape reality for a weekend, and to meet new friends and see old friends.
*All puns to be taken literaly, and not towards any one individual.
Kumo '11
Ventus - KH BBS
Ciel Phantomhive - Kuroshitsuji
Ezio Auditore - Assassin's Creed II

Offline The_Geek

• Chibi
    • My Deviant Art
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2010, 06:41:21 pm »
To celebrate and honor a character.
All depression has its roots in self-pity, and all self-pity is rooted in people taking themselves too seriously.
                                + Tom Robbins

Offline VampireFangs103

• Catgirl
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2010, 06:42:27 pm »
Pretty much what a lot of other people said. It's a great way to escape reality. Nobody expects much from you. It doesn't matter if you're a guy or a girl. Personally, for me, I'm able to feel extremely comfortable and confident in my cosplay, the complete opposite of me in everyday life. It's also easier and fun to find people who are interested in the same manga/anime/etc. as yourself by seeing someone in cosplay. You get excited when you cross paths with someone like that. It's a great conversation starter, and a great way to make friends.

Offline fleur_fraise

• Bunnygirl
    • ka-san
« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2010, 06:49:00 pm »
The challenge, and also getting to excite fans of the character. I know I freak out when I see someone doing a really good cosplay of a character I love, and I want to give people the same feeling :D And I always feel proud of myself when I finish sewing something difficult. I recently made a full sailor uniform with cuffed long sleeves and a pleated skirt, and I didn't use a pattern and I haven't been sewing for an entire year yet.

Also, the attention. In middle school I got little attention and had few good friends, and the attention I got was usually negative, like people calling me fat or ugly. But for some reason at cons, I get people telling me I'm cute. It's really weird. Sometimes I think they're lying, but I like the attention anyways, I guess.
But yeah cosplayers are attention whores. You wouldn't dress up like an anime character if you didn't want recognition.
Current Kcon Plans:
-Ringo Oginome
-Anarchy Stocking
-Roxy Richter

Offline tofutakeout

• Bunnygirl
    • Deviantart
« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2010, 07:49:27 pm »
Stress relief, I get to do something fun, pretending to be someone else, and being different.

That's basically it. And also the want to pursue being this character and doing them justice with making the perfect replication of them in real life. :3 I like to share my love of a series or character with anyone else that feels the same.
da/tumblr
Pull the trigger, pull the trigger, pull the trigger. BOOM

Offline Man of the Public

• Catgirl
« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2010, 08:14:37 pm »
One part escapism, One Part challenge, One part Self esteem building.

Seriously it's mostly the self esteem bit. I have major image issues and if people will compliment me if I'm wearing a crazy costume, then by god I'm going to wear a crazy costume.

@Fleur
Dont pay attention to any who brings you down, cause I'll be here to bring you right back up.

Offline LtCommanderRichie

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2010, 08:30:38 pm »
Because it gets me positive attention for a skill that I am constantly perfecting, and I'm an attention whore.

Offline paprika

• Chibi
« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2010, 11:23:02 pm »
Ohjeez.
Honestly, in the beginning of my journey into the 'anime world', it just sort of seemed like..it was something I felt just sort of came with the ..'lifestyle'. Like I thought all anime fans cosplayed, which was stupid, but I was like 11 so excuse that. DX Anyways, I only did a few (really bad) cosplays at home; luckily no photos still exist. @^@'' Mrr..
Then for a few years I wasn't really interested.. Like, I went on and off between, "eh it's cool, maybe sometime" or "pff not for me". I was REDIC. But I'd seen some less-than-quality costumes and it made me worry I'd look bad. ;^; Also stupid, I know, but...meh.

Then suddenly, I don't know what it was, but cosplay actually became really a fun idea for me near the end of last year. C: I think maybe it's certain friends I've gotten closer with/met, I dunno, but now the idea excites me and I want to do the best possible job I can pulling off the characters I cosplay. <333 It's something fun I can work on and participate in with friends, and a tribute (if done well/right) to the creator of said character. c':

TL;DR: Friends inspired me and it's just really fun! >U<