Author Topic: Have you ever wanted to work on cosplay so bad.....  (Read 11486 times)

Offline nikkiolie

• It's over nine THOUSAND!!!!!
    • Facebook
Have you ever wanted to work on cosplay so bad.....
« on: March 02, 2011, 11:25:06 am »
but you can't because of lack of time (aka need to sleep and work/school), and/or lack of money? I am there right now. I have very little money to take the next steps for my costumes and the stuff that I can do I can't work on till the resin dries. I am going insane. I really want to work on my stuff but I can't DX

How do you cope with it if you are in that stage? I think I would look at other peoples version of the costume and see what they did well and what they did poorly and try to make mine the best possible.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2011, 11:25:32 am by nikkiolie »

Offline EveofAbyss

• Bunnygirl
    • Facebook
Re: Have you ever wanted to work on cosplay so bad.....
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2011, 11:36:37 am »
Right now I am really itching to work on cosplay, but am not physically where I need to be for my costumes, so I can't really make any clothing or anything yet. So, I know what you mean, it's an unscratchable itch.

What I tend to do while in the meantime, though, is a lot like what you said. I look at costumes on CosCom, and really think about what I want to do, how to do it, and just take in as much cosplay-related stuff as possible. That tends to satisfy the hunger, if only a little bit.

Buy my book of poems!
Lord Otaku commands you!

Offline ~boogiepop~

• Bunnygirl
    • Glorious Me
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2011, 01:37:24 pm »
This is me.

10 months of the year.

Screw school, aojsdfoajsdfoas.

I just suck it up and deal with it usually.
WHY DO THE FORUMS SUCK SO BAD?

~2012 cosplay mofos~
Ramona Flowers- Scott Pilgrim, Miria Harvent- Baccano!, Filia- Skullgirls, Milk- Pop'n Music

Offline meep

• Bunnygirl
    • blog
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2011, 03:15:32 pm »
I ALWAYS want to work on cosplay but I am usually exhausted after school...I get too tired to work on it..@A@

Offline sandrobotticelli

• Bunnygirl
    • Facebook
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2011, 03:22:12 pm »
Same! Right now I have no money but I would love to work on my cosplays. :/
Kumoricon 2013:
Neophyte Redglare- Homestuck
Madame de Pompadour- Le Chevalier D'Eon

Offline DaemonForce

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2011, 04:54:39 pm »
but you can't because of lack of time (aka need to sleep and work/school), and/or lack of money?
Forcing through ensures that crappy cosplay will be crappy. Don't do it unless you want me to dissect you at the next con. >.>'

It's a sign to work on other areas of your life. Put plainly, I ignore cosplay entirely so I can work myself to death and improve my life. Money is never an issue but my time is so damn valuable to me and it's hard to make good decisions on limited perspective of the unknown. I can't stick to what I know all the time or I begin to stagnate. It's impossible to instill that knowledge into others when they're too stupid to understand how I live. They're always the same people that have no future and I sometimes question why I attract friends that are like that. Sometimes I have to cut communication just to improve.

So in best case: I work myself to death and keep everyone happy.
Worst case: I completely alienate myself from everyone, amputate my emotions, worry and sleep then proceed to completely work myself into the ground.

So far I'm doing pretty good.
{Death mode} D3 Started 17.May.2011 02:20
Magi: What are you doing?
Me: I'm putting a stop to this. Now.
Magi: You'll die.
Me: I don't believe that.

Offline Mew*Haruko

• Chibi
    • My YouTube. Subscribe! <3
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2011, 08:36:11 pm »
When I work on cosplay, it ends up looking like a pile of poo. ; ^ ; i dont like piles of poo in my sewing room

Offline CLAP_attack

• Bunnygirl
    • Deviant Art
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2011, 09:26:49 pm »
yeah. I lack money for a new cosplay ..
But I want make a big  awesome one ; A;
kcon plans 2013 ' plans ;

Minato Arisato - P3 ( 50% )
Renzou Shima - AnE ( 0% )
Finny in wonderland - Kuroshitsuji ( 0% )

Offline fleur_fraise

• Bunnygirl
    • ka-san
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2011, 09:35:13 pm »
but you can't because of lack of time (aka need to sleep and work/school), and/or lack of money?
Forcing through ensures that crappy cosplay will be crappy. Don't do it unless you want me to dissect you at the next con. >.>'
...Are you serious?
Current Kcon Plans:
-Ringo Oginome
-Anarchy Stocking
-Roxy Richter

Offline tofutakeout

• Bunnygirl
    • Deviantart
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2011, 10:00:57 pm »
I'm sort of at that stage. I'm at the point where I have certain things I want to do with the cosplay(usually sewing, since I love that) but I have to do something else to obtain it. Like cutting the pattern, gluing something, or pinning it. And I just wish it could all be ready to go for me to sew it. Have it be perfectly cut and everything. But there's steps and when there's tons of step it drives me nuts!

Time is also one of my big things. I try to bring little bits and pieces of a costume I can sew on the bus or at a friends house that also has cosplay to work on.
da/tumblr
Pull the trigger, pull the trigger, pull the trigger. BOOM

Offline DaemonForce

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2011, 10:06:44 pm »
...Are you serious?
I'm always serious. :/

If you tell me the reason your cosplay looks shoddy isn't because of funding but because you forced yourself to rush through everything without looking over your details or thinking straight, I will laugh at you.

No one likes terrible work and if you force yourself through something that you're incapable of handling, it will only cause you serious problems.
Time is also one of my big things. I try to bring little bits and pieces of a costume I can sew on the bus or at a friends house that also has cosplay to work on.
You are not at that stage at all. You have a plan that works for you, even though you despise the lengthy chain of steps.

Offline LtCommanderRichie

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2011, 10:14:22 pm »

It's a sign to work on other areas of your life. Put plainly, I ignore cosplay entirely so I can work myself to death and improve my life. Money is never an issue but my time is so damn valuable to me and it's hard to make good decisions on limited perspective of the unknown. I can't stick to what I know all the time or I begin to stagnate. It's impossible to instill that knowledge into others when they're too stupid to understand how I live. They're always the same people that have no future and I sometimes question why I attract friends that are like that. Sometimes I have to cut communication just to improve.

Worst case: I completely alienate myself from everyone, amputate my emotions, worry and sleep then proceed to completely work myself into the ground.

...Are you serious?
I'm always serious. :/

If you tell me the reason your cosplay looks shoddy isn't because of funding but because you forced yourself to rush through everything without looking over your details or thinking straight, I will laugh at you.

No one likes terrible work and if you force yourself through something that you're incapable of handling, it will only cause you serious problems.

Calm yo'self. Tact is like glitter- a little goes a long way.

But yeah, Nikki, I get that problem sometimes. Money isn't an issue, but when making props Oregon weather absolutely kills me. If I can't paint or be crafty in my garage I go into withdrawals.

Offline fleur_fraise

• Bunnygirl
    • ka-san
« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2011, 10:21:32 pm »
So from what I understand you're saying is basically "if you can't do it right, don't do it at all," correct?
Current Kcon Plans:
-Ringo Oginome
-Anarchy Stocking
-Roxy Richter

Offline DaemonForce

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #13 on: March 02, 2011, 10:31:50 pm »
So from what I understand you're saying is basically "if you can't do it right, don't do it at all," correct?
That's the advice that everyone has given me my entire life and things have always ended really badly when I ignore it.

Same goes for my friends too. All of the drama, disappointment and crap stems from when they try instead of do. It's also what gets them in the most trouble.

I'm the type of person that looks forward to cosplays that are done exceptionally well because people have spent a bunch of time and effort to look amazing. Besides the above sense, there's other motivators like my cosplay photography hobby(the only thing I can seem to do without being judged constantly) and to network with people that know what they're doing.

I've seen quite a few poorly done cosplays that managed to make me laugh even though they weren't done for comedy relief(yay box gundam!<3). One of them made me cry too. Most cosplays I see are usually really good or somewhere in the middle and that's okay with me. It's what holds my interest. :)

Offline tofutakeout

• Bunnygirl
    • Deviantart
« Reply #14 on: March 02, 2011, 10:44:41 pm »
You are not at that stage at all. You have a plan that works for you, even though you despise the lengthy chain of steps.
But it doesn't always work. Because I don't always have a small enough project to carry around with me to work on. Or where I'm going I can't bring something like that with me.

Just because someone can't do something well doesn't mean they shouldn't do it. With enough practice they could become amazing. Everyone starts out with a bad cosplay. You should give them a chance.
da/tumblr
Pull the trigger, pull the trigger, pull the trigger. BOOM

Offline DaemonForce

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #15 on: March 02, 2011, 11:04:29 pm »
But it doesn't always work. Because I don't always have a small enough project to carry around with me to work on. Or where I'm going I can't bring something like that with me.
Just because your routine has a few rough spots doesn't mean it's not working. How about instead of thinking about the times it doesn't work, consider the amount of progress you've made compared to not having your plan in the first place.
Just because someone can't do something well doesn't mean they shouldn't do it. With enough practice they could become amazing. Everyone starts out with a bad cosplay. You should give them a chance.
I'm not saying that if someone can't do something very well they should stop. Though I doubt I would be tempted to take a picture of them. Not everyone starts out with a bad cosplay either. They start with what they can manage. Whether it becomes great or goes sour is entirely up to them.

(Redacted unproductive commentary, and a reference to a removed comment.  ~randompvg)
« Last Edit: March 03, 2011, 02:37:41 am by randompvg »

Offline sandrobotticelli

• Bunnygirl
    • Facebook
« Reply #16 on: March 02, 2011, 11:29:34 pm »
Contrary to popular belief, this hobby is about having fun.

: ]
Kumoricon 2013:

Offline Shi_no_Akuma

• Chibi
    • I'm not here I'm on Tumblr
« Reply #17 on: March 02, 2011, 11:57:31 pm »
/lurking
On Topic: Yes. I usually end up going through tons of reference images to try to figure out how to do the next step that needs to be done, and mess around on CosCom going through threads and costumes. c:

(Removed possible ad hominem per forum code of conduct. Please bring concerns like these to us, and we'll look into them.  ~randompvg)
« Last Edit: March 03, 2011, 02:22:35 am by randompvg »
Tumblr | Next Con: Fanime
.:As:.
☆ Porrim Maryam ☆ Mami Tomoe ☆
☆ Roxy Lalonde ☆ Jade Harley ☆
☆ The Disciple ☆ Aradia Megido ☆
☆ Maggie Lacivi ☆

Offline Saki-the-cat

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #18 on: March 03, 2011, 12:17:44 am »
Well i've been wanting to work on my Prussia cosplay lately. The problem is, is that i don't have the money for the actual costume (uniform, pants, shirt, tie, belt, etc), so i'm a little stressed out by the fact that i have to make 120 dollars before June this year. Hopefully i'll be able to though ^^; I just need to do a crap-ton of chores.

Offline @random

• Bunnygirl
    • Google+
    • Cosplay.com account, dreadfully outdated
« Reply #19 on: March 03, 2011, 02:54:25 am »
Please remember that per the forum code of conduct, disagreements need to be about the topic - not each other.

For that matter, please be mindful of how your words can be perceived by others; the difference between constructive and destructive criticism is often more in the perception than the words themselves.

Be courteous to other users
Keep discussion friendly and civil, and keep discussion focused on the issue rather than the person.
This is my serious voice. Otherwise, I'm just another anime fan, not a moderator.

Offline K-Rock-InC

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #20 on: March 03, 2011, 04:03:56 am »
I'm pretty much there.

I have been itching to work on cosplay the last couple of days, but every time I step into JoAnn's to get the fabric I need I end up just feeling really lost and dazed and confused and I have just completely lost my train of thought upon entering so I wander around and end up not getting much of anything I need to do anything productive, so I come home and stare at my wig thinking to myself that I should work on that, but then I get distracted by other things in my apartment and end up not doing anything and wishing I'd bought some fabric so I could work on at least cutting out the pieces or something (since my mother owns the only sewing machine I have available).

Needless to say, it's not a very pleasant experience... :/
This is my life. These are my choices.

Offline nikkiolie

• Facebook
« Reply #21 on: March 03, 2011, 11:20:47 am »

Just because I don't have time or money right now doesn't mean I wont make a good cosplay. Right now I have a lot I can work on that will make my costume amazing but I can only work on tiny bits at a time rather than doing a full days work. That is because of work. And currently the position I am in is waiting for things to dry. I still have the artistic desire to work on things but at the moments I am not. I have to wait till things dry before I can take the next step.

This topic is about ways to cope with that desire. Lets give you an example. Say you really want to work right this second but for some reason you are unable to (doesn't mean you cant work tomorrow you just aren't able to this second) my question is what would you do to sooth that urge to work. And please don't give me the line "that will never happen or I am always working" just humor me. I am trying to give you an idea what this topic is all about.

Also everyone that I have meet that has posted in here makes great costumes. Granted no one makes fantastic one but they are great. And there will NEVER be anyone who makes a perfect costume because these characters are fictional based off someones idea of what they should look like.

Oh and Caitlin I am going to use you as an example (http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4086/5033923864_eaab5d5c9e.jpg) she made this costume and I promise you she was probably low on money a lot and had very little time to work on it. I think it looks wonderful so here is an example that completely blows your theory out of the water.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2011, 11:28:16 am by nikkiolie »

Offline nyahaha

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #22 on: March 03, 2011, 12:29:13 pm »
I know this feeling of wanting to work on cosplay so badly but can't.

When I really want to work on cosplay, but can't at the moment because of funding or I am doing something else, I like to plan stuff out in notebooks. I estimate costs, decide what can be left out in case I don't have enough money, and plan on where and when I can get stuff for the lowest price possible.

I also think of stuff in my room that I honestly don't need and can sell to get money for the cosplays.

A problem that I have is that I think about cosplay when I'm not supposed to (like when I'm supposed to be taking notes in class).
check out my facebook page!! www.facebook.com/macnleecosplay

Offline CLAP_attack

• Bunnygirl
    • Deviant Art
« Reply #23 on: March 03, 2011, 12:44:11 pm »
I can agree to this all .. i mean just because you dont have the riches to make the most godly prop or costume ever . But not having a lot of effort can affect it. sorta.
Cosplay is time consuming too , I had to huury up on one of my props but it came out actually well for my first ever prop.And all I spent on it was about 15 dollars because i had wood in my garage.

I think people should be praised for trying their best on it , even if you've seen ' better ' .
 but yeah ;; i know the feeling . specially when your life is on the line at school and you NEEEDD to graduate ;;

Offline DaemonForce

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #24 on: March 03, 2011, 03:09:09 pm »
This topic is about ways to cope with that desire. Lets give you an example. Say you really want to work right this second but for some reason you are unable to (doesn't mean you cant work tomorrow you just aren't able to this second) my question is what would you do to sooth that urge to work.
Oh, well that's different.

When I don't have the time to work on my stuff it's usually a period where I'm waiting on materials and reference data. If it's enough time to do something but not enough to functionally mend/fix/create parts of a costume it's usually going into planning stage. Sizing, dimensions, extras, bill of materials, estimated costs...That's if I'm genuinely focused. I haven't been like that for years but for some reason I've been so focused this week that my body is rejecting more than 4 hours sleep and I'm always looking for something to do(even if it's wrong). I have a tendency to act a bit bureaucratic when I'm lacking the man hours to physically work on something but I keep a note of what needs to be done. I guess some habits just won't die.
Oh and Caitlin I am going to use you as an example (http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4086/5033923864_eaab5d5c9e.jpg) she made this costume and I promise you she was probably low on money a lot and had very little time to work on it.
How much time did that take? It looks like it could have been done in 40-50 combined hours minus planning stages if machine assisted at my incredibly slow uneducated pace. It's hard to guess without seeing the back but I like it. :)
I think people should be praised for trying their best on it
Wow you seem to be the only person that got any of what I was saying. :-\
I don't care for contests or who looks the most like the character but I do want to see everything done extraordinarily well. I just want everyone to do something impressive. It's not asking much. Everything where I am is flooded with such vast amounts of mediocrity and banality that it makes me sick. I pretty much have to go to a con and take pictures just to ease the pain. My idea of what's fun is really skewed because of this so it's often hard to convey what I like about someone's costume and why.

Offline meep

• Bunnygirl
    • blog
« Reply #25 on: March 03, 2011, 04:14:31 pm »
Dear Daemon. Its really rude to say these things to these amazing cosplayers.
I really think encouraging and being positive is the way to go. Especially on a public forum like this. :<

And sometimes I rush cosplays and they turn out amazing :DDDD
Like my Maril and Miku ones :D
http://fc05.deviantart.net/fs71/i/2010/251/2/5/water_type_maid_by_bramblehomie-d2ybz3i.jpg
http://fc09.deviantart.net/fs70/f/2011/022/6/b/return_to_zero_by_bramblehomie-d37tt7j.jpg

Anyways Im having trouble with Ranka and I'm getting scared to work on it >A< ALSO I'M DYING TO GO TO THE FABRIC STORE ;n;

-grabs food and watched animu for comfort-

« Last Edit: March 03, 2011, 04:17:32 pm by meep »

Offline CLAP_attack

• Bunnygirl
    • Deviant Art
« Reply #26 on: March 03, 2011, 04:42:17 pm »
I agree with you meep :<

Also mr. Or miss ..Daemon , everyone wants to do things impressive ' but its really hard to if your not rich and have plenty of time. I think we have a different definition on ' praising ' ;;

And not trying to upset the forum and stuff' , imma behave

Offline CLAP_attack

• Bunnygirl
    • Deviant Art
« Reply #27 on: March 03, 2011, 08:42:06 pm »
is this was facebook - i'd totally like that.

and I agree with you 1000000000000000000000000000%

Offline fleur_fraise

• Bunnygirl
    • ka-san
« Reply #28 on: March 03, 2011, 08:47:50 pm »
is this was facebook - i'd totally like that.

and I agree with you 1000000000000000000000000000%
This and that
Current Kcon Plans:
-Ringo Oginome
-Anarchy Stocking
-Roxy Richter

Offline LtCommanderRichie

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #29 on: March 03, 2011, 09:19:53 pm »
Oh and Caitlin I am going to use you as an example (http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4086/5033923864_eaab5d5c9e.jpg) she made this costume and I promise you she was probably low on money a lot and had very little time to work on it.
How much time did that take? It looks like it could have been done in 40-50 combined hours minus planning stages if machine assisted at my incredibly slow uneducated pace. It's hard to guess without seeing the back but I like it. :)

Offline @random

• Bunnygirl
    • Google+
    • Cosplay.com account, dreadfully outdated
« Reply #30 on: March 03, 2011, 10:10:16 pm »
If it wasn't clear before, the personal attacks need to stop. Now.
This is my serious voice. Otherwise, I'm just another anime fan, not a moderator.

Offline EveofAbyss

• Bunnygirl
    • Facebook
« Reply #31 on: March 03, 2011, 10:34:39 pm »
The thread train got derailed more violently than in 'Unstoppable', so....

Cosplay! I love working on it, but when I can't, I think about working on it. I like thinking about cosplay as much as I like working on cosplay. Don't you, fellow Kumoriconsters?  ;D Yes yes, how I love to work on cosplay and think about working on cosplay when not working on cosplay.

In all seriousness, though, the extra time is great because it forces you to reconsider your work and make absolutely sure that everything is at its best.

I share many previously mentioned sentiments. I love to see top-quality cosplay, and I love making sure mine are as faithful as possible (in personality and representation, not just appearance). So, when I see others who clearly put that kind of commitment to their work, it is an encouraging and exciting thing.

I won't deride those cosplayers whose work isn't as faithful as it could be (for whatever reason), though, and as long as they are happy with it, good for them. Like Danayoki said, this is a hobby above all things and, while quality is a standard all cosplayers are held to, appreciation and enjoyment are not limited to that on the same universal level. I can enjoy cosplay for its quality and authenticity, but that does not mean everyone must share my reasons for loving it, no? Let those who love it love it, plain and simple. Let us encourage without crushing, inspire without spiting. ^_^

If we were all professional cosplayers, or claiming to be professional cosplayers endorsed by RightStuf or Bandai or Gonzo...that'd be one thing. But we're not, so let's leave all the beaurocratic professionalism at the door. This is what we love and are passionate about, so enjoy cosplay to the fullest, in whatever way you feel satisfied with.

That turned into a bit of a speech, didn't it? Sorry.  :D
« Last Edit: March 03, 2011, 10:36:10 pm by EveofAbyss »

Buy my book of poems!
Lord Otaku commands you!

Offline Titus_Love_Doll

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #32 on: March 04, 2011, 12:32:40 am »
omg i know how you feel it took 2 months for the fabric for my peter white cosplay to come in >< i did everythign els but the jacket

Offline K-Rock-InC

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #33 on: March 04, 2011, 12:48:29 am »
So, even though I want to be working on my wig, I'm working on my friend's instead because his is more evil than mine. I just have to make the wing things for Kokonoe's wig, and mess with the bangs and BAM, she's done. :P

I guess, when I want to work on cosplay and can't I tend to moon over pictures of said character I want to work on and mentally go through how I'm going to do each part. Or if I'm out and about and can't, like when I was working, I usually get a pen and some scrape paper and write my ideas down so I don't forget. It's pretty much just accepting that I want to and can't, and dealing with the annoying unfulfilled feeling it leaves. T^T

Offline Venusgate

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #34 on: March 04, 2011, 10:35:34 pm »
I am privileged enough to have enough cash to afford all the materials I need. I do run into the similar trouble of lack of time due to a work/school schedule that would make a 1900s forge worker cringe, but I still have full hours each day.

The problem is, my cosplays are at the BOTTOM of a pile of other crafts projects D:< I have no way(room) of setting aside those projects until i finish them. How did this happen?!
...NEVER KNOWS BEST

Offline Drauska

• Catgirl
« Reply #35 on: March 05, 2011, 11:43:17 am »
I hear all you pain brothers and sisters!  Im trying to loose a few pounds before i get my cosplay.  I've just been working on props right now.  But with the cold weather I've been reluctant to work outside with the sanding and painting.  But the good thing about not rushing into it...you can plan your attack and think it through before you begin.  Im glad i didn't rush and I think my cosplay will be better for it.

Offline Titus_Love_Doll

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #36 on: March 05, 2011, 05:36:48 pm »
rigth know i really wannah finish my OC cosplay T_T but sadly she wont be done becuse =.= she dosent like me no more and is giveing me issues

Offline camname21

• Bunnygirl
    • Deviantart
« Reply #37 on: March 08, 2011, 07:18:56 pm »
Oregon weather: garage + portable heater and a de/humidifier.  This solves all heat and moisture problems oregon throws at you 6 months out of the year.  You'll want a workbench too.

Offline Drauska

• Catgirl
« Reply #38 on: March 09, 2011, 07:10:01 am »
Oregon weather: garage + portable heater and a de/humidifier.  This solves all heat and moisture problems oregon throws at you 6 months out of the year.  You'll want a workbench too.

Thanks for the obvious advice...JK ;D

Next summer moving out of my apartment into a house.  It must have a garage or a shed, or I don't want it.  my reality company better deliver.

Offline camname21

• Bunnygirl
    • Deviantart
« Reply #39 on: March 10, 2011, 03:21:22 am »
I didn't think it was that obvious *tears of shame*  Some people just don't think about portable heat sources so the paint can actually cure correctly.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2011, 03:21:59 am by camname21 »

Offline Drauska

• Catgirl
« Reply #40 on: March 10, 2011, 10:32:12 am »
I didn't think it was that obvious *tears of shame*  Some people just don't think about portable heat sources so the paint can actually cure correctly.

True.  I really hope I do get a garage this summer.  It would be soooo sweet!  Right now I can't paint or mod podge my props cause of the humidity.  :-\
« Last Edit: March 10, 2011, 10:33:12 am by Drauska »

Offline Titus_Love_Doll

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #41 on: March 10, 2011, 04:41:21 pm »
is sad two wigs i been waiting for has not got here so

my gorillaz cosplay =.= wotn be done and my moon phase.

-waits for wigs in mail

Offline nikkiolie

• Facebook
« Reply #42 on: March 10, 2011, 07:37:31 pm »
You see I have this problem that when I want to work on cosplays I tend to start even when I really don't have a whole lot of money. Like right now. I have three cosplays I am working on one I just decided I was going to do today. But two of the three are casual cosplays.

Offline ainekatt

• Chibi
« Reply #43 on: March 10, 2011, 09:58:07 pm »
God. Money. I'd have so much done already if I had more money to work with.

I mean, I can't very well make a coat out of nonexistent green wool, now can I? Nor does an orange jumpsuit, corset, several wigs, dress fabric or any of the multitudes of other things I need, just APPEAR.

Ugh.

I want to work on stuff, but I'm so low on funding. :/

Currently working on: Toni Ipres - Hanna is Not a Boy's Name

Offline K-Rock-InC

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #44 on: March 11, 2011, 07:26:13 pm »
Yeah money is my big problem right now too.

I'm supposed to have my other tax refund check coming in the mail and it hasn't arrived yet, so I'm running low and still have so much I want to do, not to mention daily life things like getting food and such. :/

Offline DaemonForce

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #45 on: March 11, 2011, 09:46:49 pm »
I want to work on stuff, but I'm so low on funding. :/
Does your life consume so much money that your job doesn't give you any leverage whatsoever?

That's what I get from half the posts that are like this and I just think...Wow. :/

Offline sandrobotticelli

• Bunnygirl
    • Facebook
« Reply #46 on: March 11, 2011, 10:20:27 pm »
^It can when you have to pay for tuition. I'm able to save up during the summer, but any other time it all barely pays for college and even during the summer I'm frugal since that's saving up for fall term. That's just my reason though, I know a lot of people who are unable to find work and thus can't get any money to help with cosplays and other such activities.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2011, 10:27:57 pm by sandrobotticelli »
Kumoricon 2013:

Offline K-Rock-InC

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #47 on: March 12, 2011, 12:13:18 am »
I don't currently have a job that's giving me new funding, so I'm trying to make due with what I have. I am lucky in that my roommate's husband being in the military pays for our rent, but I still have bills to pay and wanting to have fun, so it gets tight.

Offline DaemonForce

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #48 on: March 12, 2011, 01:54:25 am »
^It can when you have to pay for tuition. I'm able to save up during the summer, but any other time it all barely pays for college and even during the summer I'm frugal since that's saving up for fall term. That's just my reason though
How does it feel knowing that the amount of time you waste on a degree for a semi-decent paying job has a strong chance of never seeing light because of job evolution and human greed? Ever since I finished high school I wanted to go to a technical school but mom immediately got in the way and refused to submit any financial data for FAFSA. Now that I'm 24, she doesn't matter anymore but the school I want to go to is $1.6M in the hole and doesn't want any students. Whatever you do, get things done while you still can or you're going to be in serious pain. I'm still trying to figure out what I need to do but I'm pretty sure I'm doing better right now than any crappy office job I'll ever get with a stupid degree.
I don't currently have a job that's giving me new funding
Find a job that does? o.O

EDIT: Nearby?
« Last Edit: March 12, 2011, 01:55:07 am by DaemonForce »

Offline sandrobotticelli

• Bunnygirl
    • Facebook
« Reply #49 on: March 12, 2011, 12:10:06 pm »
How does it feel knowing that the amount of time you waste on a degree for a semi-decent paying job has a strong chance of never seeing light because of job evolution and human greed?  
Actually, I'm working ahead of a lot of people and have a lot of connections with my professors, even if I'm unable to do my number one choice, which may be to exercise my abilities in a teaching environment and/or a museum, I'll still be able to work on the field doing something I love, despite "job evolution and human greed." It may limit me with any teaching abilities, but there's always room to do work abroad and on the field, even for those less experienced, in my line of work they're always looking for a helping hand and don't turn the majority of people down. With the amount of work I've been doing it's not going to be hard to get a management title with the field work. I already got a job doing fieldwork in Ireland which I'll be working on next summer and with my knowledge of Turkish I'm very close to getting a field opportunity in Turkey.

Anyway, on topic, yeah, I've been wanting to work on cosplay all week. I've managed to find some spare fabric from last summer and might be able to at least get a minimal amount done, maybe even in time for Sakuracon!
« Last Edit: March 12, 2011, 12:31:34 pm by sandrobotticelli »
Kumoricon 2013: