Author Topic: Mewcon?  (Read 97602 times)

Offline HatakeGirlX

• Catgirl
Re: Mewcon?
« Reply #400 on: January 02, 2009, 10:57:32 pm »
Eve, you're so intimidating in person. ;-;

About the karaoke... We were supposed to have it, but stuff happened. >__>

omg >.< I saw him at the con and even tho I have spoken to him plenty of times I just couldn't approach O_O
lol Sorry eve Im shy outside of cons too but Im not good at walking up and saying hi...

Offline nikkiolie

• It's over nine THOUSAND!!!!!
    • Facebook
« Reply #401 on: January 02, 2009, 10:59:04 pm »
I was a shy person though I grew out of it this past Kumoricon. I think the cons have really helped me become more of an outgoing person. I think everyone needs a little con to help branch out :D

If it weren't for the con I wouldn't have meet so many cool people. But I do know what you mean Hatake ^_^

Offline DancingTofu

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #402 on: January 02, 2009, 11:11:14 pm »
DancingTofu, Cassiopeia, yukimizu, kylite, nikkiolie and 0 Guests are viewing this topic.

We're hardcore :D
moderators gonna moderate </shrug>

Offline yukimizu

• Chibi
« Reply #403 on: January 02, 2009, 11:15:24 pm »
DancingTofu, Cassiopeia, yukimizu, kylite, nikkiolie and 0 Guests are viewing this topic.

We're hardcore :D

I lurk more than I post. lol.

I had a lot of fun at Mewcon. Did a lot of running around with Nate. The chaos of it all was frustrating, but it was worth it, getting to see everyone and going to the concerts.
We tried to set up a karaoke room, but we were kicked out for the A-Key Kyo concert.
Overall, I really hope that Mewcon can come back next year. I had tons of fun!
« Last Edit: January 02, 2009, 11:16:13 pm by yukimizu »

Offline SachiNoDa

• Cabbit
    • http://sachibelle.digital-dreamworld.net
« Reply #404 on: January 02, 2009, 11:20:10 pm »
Dugtrio would be epic xD High price might've been the reason why there were so few people. I adored Sachibelle though! I can't wait to see her at Kcon <3

Thank you so much!  I'm really glad there was such a big attendance to my concert.  I was actually pretty surprised at the turnout! 

You can definitely count on me to try to get into Kumo this year.  <3<3<3

Through most of the con, I was cooped up in the room trying to go over my songs and as a result ended up catching a minor cold before my concert, but it was all worth it.  ESPECIALLY because of Neko Pan's Pangalactic Garbleblaster Cupcake.  UGHHHHH YESSSSS~~~ <3  Hitchhiker's Guide reference FTW~ <3

Rachael (Scarecrow) and I both had an awesome time.  : D If there is a MEWcon next year, I would be more than happy to perform again.
Kumoricon '08
Resident Evil - Annette Birkin
Okage: Shadow King - Linda
Silent Hill 2 - Mary

Offline DancingTofu

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #405 on: January 02, 2009, 11:27:14 pm »
Sorry the Rock Band kind of drowned out the concert; we were expecting you to have a volume closer to that of The Slants the night before, so we cranked it.  Main Events and Gaming probably won't be right beside each other next year though. :P

Offline Teepet

• Cabbit
« Reply #406 on: January 02, 2009, 11:40:16 pm »
Mewcon was fun >w<
 I totally told you your concert would go well Sachi!  I was sitting at the reg desk when you wandered up singing and then you were fretting about whether your concert would be any good.  You've got a lot of potential, I look forward to attending your future concerts and watching you grow performance-wise  ;D
Ga, my abs hurt from Caramelldansen xP

Offline SachiNoDa

• Cabbit
« Reply #407 on: January 03, 2009, 12:02:22 am »
Oh, don't worry about the volume of Rock Band!  Honestly, I hadn't even noticed it at all~  *A*;; I was getting way too into the songs and having way too much fun with my audience to even pay any attention to anything else around me. 

Oh, Teepet, thank you so much!  Before this, I'd never really done ANYTHING like that before.  In fact, the last concert that I went to was probably back in 2004, and it was a sit-down concert all the way at the back.  This whole thing was so new to me!  Regardless, it was seriously the most fun I've had in ages, and I would give anything to do it again.

I NEVER EXPECTED THAT MANY PEOPLE WOULD GO UP ON STAGE FOR CARAMELLDANSEN! *A* My goodness you guys!  You were awesome!  Thank you, thank you, and thank you SO much again for everything, everyone who showed up!
Kumoricon '08
Silent Hill 2 - Mary

Offline Cassiopeia

• Bunnygirl
    • Cake on a Plane!~
« Reply #408 on: January 03, 2009, 12:05:49 am »
You were awesome, Sachi.  :D
I HAVE SUCCUMBED AND GIVEN MYSELF A SIGNATURE! :000
Kumoricon 2010 Cosplays: Kyouya Ootori, Spain, Yoru

Offline Mr Silmero

• Catgirl
« Reply #409 on: January 03, 2009, 12:07:38 am »
I agree it was an awesome performance, loved the Guitar Hero jamming.

« Last Edit: January 03, 2009, 12:08:32 am by Mr Silmero »

oslapedo

« Reply #410 on: January 03, 2009, 12:23:58 am »
Sachi I loved you and your Scarecrow! I was the red spiky haired chick :D

Offline StarryShay

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #411 on: January 03, 2009, 12:25:21 am »
Oh, I was the pink haired girl with the bunny. :3 I can't wait to see your Kumoricon performance. <3

Offline modab

• Founder
  • Sailor Scout
« Reply #412 on: January 03, 2009, 01:06:43 am »
I'm glad to hear that a lot of people enjoyed Mewcon, even though it sounds like the turnout was low. I hope they have enough funds to pull through until the next year. I remember the first year of Kumoricon in Eugene. We didn't get more than a few hundred people, so in many ways it was more like an extended party than a full on con. There were so many things that went wrong, but fortunately, a lot that went right! I still can't believe we survived and that it turned into what it is now.
Some things that were lucky for us that first year:
A dirt cheap hotel rate, because the hotel was going to go out of business literally a week or two after our con.
An AMAZING Kumoricon staff of 20-30 that worked themselves to the bone before and during the con, most working/preparing 48 hours straight during the con.
Being the first con in Oregon, so for a bunch of people that came, it was their first con ever, and we didn't have to compare ourselves to the monstrously larger and more-entertaining Sakuracon.
Some things that didn't work so well:
Only a dozen vendors could come, similar to Mewcon
Having it in november: Mewcon may have similarly discovered that getting people to attend a con in winter is difficult!
missing a LOT of stuff to do: you guys have it so lucky you can get a rock band to play at the con, among other things!
no money for real equipment: a friend of a friend loaned us a real DDR machine, and we got some basic sound equipment for a dance, and just about everything else we borrowed/begged for from friends!
I  cried several times at nights before the con because I thought I was going to lose all my savings because noone would show up. Thankfully, we made enough money to break even and fund a bit of the next convention, mostly because we borrowed so much from friends or the university. For most staffers, it was their first time doing anything con-related. We sort of made everything up from scratch, based on what we'd seen as attendees to other cons. I'm sure if a lot of you went to Kumoricon's first year, you might have been unhappy attending that as well! Our solution was that if people were unhappy about the lack of stuff to do, we begged and pleaded with them to become staff for next year's con!
I think it's unfortunate for Mewcon that Kumoricon has already been established in Portland for so many years. It can lead to some unfair assumptions as to what it will be like. Because we moved Kumoricon from Eugene to Portland after the first year, we were able to shrug off any negative image we may have acquired of being a too-small con. Many people attending kumoricon the second year didn't even realize that there was one in Eugene the year before! Hopefully Mewcon's first year will have strengthened the bonds of the people who attended, and hopefully many will consider becoming staff next year, and next year's Mewcon will have a large and strong team. The most important thing for a convention (besides having enough money to rent a location) is maintaining a strong team of staff. Everything else you can reconsider. New Years may not have been the best of dates. Maybe consider changing the name (too close to Mucus!) :-) Seek out new methods of advertising.
I wish all the best to the Mewcon team for 2009, and if any of you feel it wasn't up to snuff compared to Kumoricon, just remember how far Kumoricon had to grow to get where it is today. And if you aren't staffing or volunteering your time, why not consider it? (this goes for staffing Kumoricon too of course :-))
Happy new year, everybody!
-Peter

Peter Verrey, Founder

Offline Mr Silmero

• Catgirl
« Reply #413 on: January 03, 2009, 01:10:02 am »
Wow- nicely worded, I hope everyone involved with MEWcon reads that.

oslapedo

« Reply #414 on: January 03, 2009, 01:22:38 am »
I mostly agree with what you said but I don't think Mewcon should change it's name because you think it sounds like "mucus" o.O To me it sounds like Mew the Poke'mon, mew as in the sound a cat makes, and I'm pretty sure there's an acronym somewhere in there.

Offline SachiNoDa

• Cabbit
« Reply #415 on: January 03, 2009, 01:23:37 am »
Late response, woo!  *A*;

: D Thank you all SO much~  <333 I'm definitely trying to get to Kumo, and even if I don't make it there, I will be more than happy to do another performance at the next MEWcon.  

The funny thing about the Guitar Hero guitar!  It was actually suggested as a joke, and I don't remember at which point we decided to take it seriously.  I wasn't even sure if we were going to even get one, but seriously you guys in the Rock Band room uh...rock!  for letting me borrow it.  
Kumoricon '08
Silent Hill 2 - Mary

Offline Cassiopeia

• Bunnygirl
    • Cake on a Plane!~
« Reply #416 on: January 03, 2009, 01:49:46 am »
I mostly agree with what you said but I don't think Mewcon should change it's name because you think it sounds like "mucus" o.O To me it sounds like Mew the Poke'mon, mew as in the sound a cat makes, and I'm pretty sure there's an acronym somewhere in there.

M.E.W. = Manga and Exotic Worlds. "Exotic Worlds" being the part of the name that includes sci-fi and fantasy and such.

I don't think it should change the date, either. Sure, people have stuff to do on New Year's, seeing family and such. But a lot of people also do not have what to do. MEWcon was the best New Year's party I've ever been to, for sure.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2009, 01:50:55 am by Cassiopeia »
I HAVE SUCCUMBED AND GIVEN MYSELF A SIGNATURE! :000
Kumoricon 2010 Cosplays: Kyouya Ootori, Spain, Yoru

oslapedo

« Reply #417 on: January 03, 2009, 01:52:35 am »
I agree! One of my non-nerdy friends called me during the hardcore Slants concert and he was just chilling at home. If there was an actual countdown next year it'd be amazing *_*

Offline Kadaj

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #418 on: January 03, 2009, 01:55:30 am »
Oh my gosh! I had a blast at MEW and I'm glad to see so many other people enjoyed it as well!

I thank all of you that came to my panels {Shonen-ai/Vampire/Harry Potter} and I hope you all enjoyed them in some way or another. I really enjoyed all of your company and I hope to see you all in my panels again next year! I will be improving on the panels and changing things up as well. If anyone has a suggestion to brighten open my panels, please PM me. All suggestion are welcome and I will try to work them into next years panels.

I also noticed many of the issues MEW had this year, but this is MEW's first year and It will surly be better next year. I really hope to see you guys at MEW '09 if I get accepted as a Panelist and Security again. I really enjoyed hanging out with ever one and I liked the fact that I got to get to know so many people. I personally believe this would have been much harder if MEW was much bigger, but I would love to see and meet new people! xD

I absolutely loved all the guests that showed up. Spike Spencer was a very amusing guy and, though he was late for a couple of his panels, he was a very enjoyable person to be around.

A-Key-Kyo and The Slants personally aren't my favorite bands, but I think they did amazingly well. In fact, I actually started to joy them after awhile. Sachi was amazing! I totally love her voice, she is very sweet, and she had a great stage presents. I really hope to see her on stage again.

Chris Hazelton was a completely new person for me, but that didn't stop me from coming into one of his panels and saying hello. I must say I enjoyed chatting with him and that he actually got me interested in reading Misfiles. He explained his manga and showed off his art in ways that almost instantly caught my attention. I personally think I will enjoy his mangas.

Robert Axelrod was a really sweet guy and he was really easy to get along with as well. I hung out with him for awhile the day after con ended and I ran into him a couple of times. I couldn't believe that such a nice guy actually played Lord Zed! Then I reminded myself that he was just playing the part of his character. I do wish I could have had more time to hang out with him though... -pouts-

Though I really wanted to go to Michael HopCroft's panels, I sadly was unable to make it to them do to the fact that I had security work. Yes, I know... Very sad that I wasn't able to meet him. I do hope that I will be able to meet him next time though! Don't think you will get away from me that easily Mr. HopCroft!

Anyways, I'm going to stop right there before I get a little carried away. If anyone recognizes who I am, just send me a message if you want to chat. I do love a good chat every now and again and I made quite a few friends that I was unable to get information from.

-Yurri {Cosplay: Quatre from Gundam Wing and Nunchaku Turn from FF7. I was also confused for Gilderoy Lockhart every now and again, but I just found that amusing.}

Offline Mr Silmero

• Catgirl
« Reply #419 on: January 03, 2009, 01:59:07 am »
MEW was easily the best New Years party i've ever had, counting down with The Slants (caught on video mind you) was completely awesome and a great way to rock into the new years.

oslapedo

« Reply #420 on: January 03, 2009, 01:59:56 am »
Sachi I definitely think you should do Kumoricon! Me and some of your other hard core mosh girls were thinking of starting a Sachi fanclub <3

Offline DancingTofu

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #421 on: January 03, 2009, 04:12:56 am »
We did a countdown in gaming.  AKA five of us stood there yelling numbers and then I took a monster bite of my sandwich, and then Washu took a monster bite of my sandwich, then we realised we had been 12 seconds early because my watch was 12 seconds faster than I thought it was. :P

Modab, thank you very much for saying all of that.
When I talked to Steve about it, my understanding was that, other than attendance and earnings, MEW Con had a very good first year.  Our game room was awesome, and couldn't have been that way without the fantastic work of amaZMent, SDWashu, LegoMan60, GuitarHero32, MonsterGaming, and Blaze, as well as many others who provided small things that turned out to be absolute necessities.

Sachi, I was the zombie (not cosplay; the actual zombie) with long hair and scruffy face who played the piano a little before your concert.  I tried to play quietly when your phone started ringing; hopefully I wasn't too much of a disturbance or anything.  That piano was a lifesaver though.  I can't go more than a day or two without playing or I start tweakin'. :P

Offline Bundyangel

• Sailor Scout
    • Bundyangel15's Deviantart
« Reply #422 on: January 03, 2009, 05:01:55 am »
mewcon appeased my inner otaku fangirl soul so much. I slept for 13 hours afterward. i dont know what day it is XDD

Im so happy i got to hug and meet so many people from the forums at con. <33
Cosplay of Kcon '07:
Naminé - KHII
Cosplay for Kcon '08:
Cosplay for Kcon '09

Didn't Happen

Cosplay for Kcon '10
Sakura Kinomoto - 10%
Pokemon Gijinka - 0%

Offline SachiNoDa

• Cabbit
« Reply #423 on: January 03, 2009, 06:24:55 am »
Sachi, I was the zombie (not cosplay; the actual zombie) with long hair and scruffy face who played the piano a little before your concert.  I tried to play quietly when your phone started ringing; hopefully I wasn't too much of a disturbance or anything.  That piano was a lifesaver though.  I can't go more than a day or two without playing or I start tweakin'. :P

Oh, haha!  ^^;;  The phone ringing wasn't any big deal.  I actually was more worried about disrupting your playing, so that's why I left during it.  I'm still really sorry about that...orz

I seriously know what you mean though, oh man.   Seriously, if I lose my voice and have no access to a piano, I become ferocious.  It's actually pretty frightening.  orz

Kadaj, thank you very much for coming to see the show!  : D I'm really really glad that you had a good time, and you can be SURE that I'll be back on stage again! <3<3<3

Oh, osla!!  *A* I'm contacting Tanis ASAP to get it all set up.  The moment that my voice is back and he and I are both available, some serious Kumo-talk is going to go down.  WOOO~!!! : D 

orz I...i...Uguu...I'm so flattered...;////;!  I don't know what to say...!  Th-thank you so much...!

« Last Edit: January 03, 2009, 06:27:21 am by SachiNoDa »
Kumoricon '08
Silent Hill 2 - Mary

Offline StarryShay

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #424 on: January 03, 2009, 09:19:47 am »
Well, I hope your voice gets better soon.~ :3

Offline xkuroxhanax

• Chibi
    • LJ, gaiz.
« Reply #425 on: January 03, 2009, 10:09:21 am »
/general message

i definitely had a really awesome time at MEW. A lot of people I know complained about the venue and the lack of good food in the area(which i have to say, was a problem) but really, besides that it was fun. Small cons are the best places to make con friends, you know? And it's really a nice break between Kcon and Scon. I'm really glad I went.

xD I'd been craving a con for a good month and a half, so MEWcon came at a good time, for me. What a way to spend a New Years.
2009 Cons:
~Sakura-con 09
~Anime Evolution 09
~Kumoricon 09

Current cosplays:
~Axel (KH2)
~Kanda (DGM)

oslapedo

« Reply #426 on: January 03, 2009, 10:29:04 am »
@ Sachi, yay for Kumo-talking! Your currently nonexistant fan club is behind you all the way! @ Bad food, for me I had to stay at the hotel and the only semblance to a real meal was that overpriced rice stuff. The veggies were rather icky I must say.

Offline StarryShay

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #427 on: January 03, 2009, 10:37:57 am »
The rice I had wasnt even cooked. ;_; Besides the food though, I thought the Con was amazing. <3

Offline SachiNoDa

• Cabbit
« Reply #428 on: January 03, 2009, 11:15:11 am »
Thank you.  I've gotta get it back in shape to use my awesome new mic for more VA work.  <3<3

The one thing I was confused about was seriously...

$2 for a tiny bottle of soda?  I can get a 1 liter for the same price down at 7-11!  D: Bwaaahhh...

orz I don't know if I could've lived only on those noodles...  So...much...sodium...!!!
Kumoricon '08
Silent Hill 2 - Mary

Offline xkuroxhanax

• Chibi
    • LJ, gaiz.
« Reply #429 on: January 03, 2009, 11:21:59 am »
yeah. see, that was my only real problem with the con. to get decent food, i had to walk all the way to subway, but on new years day, it was closed. i ate almost no solid food that day because of it. DD: but that was the only issue. so yeah. over priced, not so delicious food was overpriced and not so delicious.

2009 Cons:
~Sakura-con 09
~Anime Evolution 09
~Kumoricon 09

Current cosplays:
~Axel (KH2)
~Kanda (DGM)

Offline StarryShay

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #430 on: January 03, 2009, 11:24:30 am »
Oh noes. Stupid Subway. >.>;

Offline TanisNikana

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #431 on: January 03, 2009, 12:03:13 pm »
Holy crap, that was awesome. We had the Slants, we had Sachi, we had A-Key Kyo and they were decent this year, and we had some pretty fun times! Only thing that bothered me in the end was how my Go panel was only 28 minutes long. Mostly cause my panel supplies are in Kumo's shed, but still.

oslapedo

« Reply #432 on: January 03, 2009, 12:32:36 pm »
I enjoyed your epic 28 minute long panel just as much as I enjoyed our 37 second long Vocaloid dance! Mewcon was very fun for its first year, I miss it x3

Offline SachiNoDa

• Cabbit
« Reply #433 on: January 03, 2009, 12:33:21 pm »
Holy crap, that was awesome. We had the Slants, we had Sachi, we had A-Key Kyo and they were decent this year, and we had some pretty fun times! Only thing that bothered me in the end was how my Go panel was only 28 minutes long. Mostly cause my panel supplies are in Kumo's shed, but still.

Just for all the hard work you put into MEW, you deserved a super long panel.  Seriously, this whole thing was incredible for a first con.  : D And I will definitely DEFINITELY be back to perform again next year. <3
Kumoricon '08
Silent Hill 2 - Mary

Offline RemSaverem

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #434 on: January 03, 2009, 12:39:28 pm »
Peter: Great post.
Tofu: I noticed your sig; congrats on being Prog Coord for Mew 2 (couldn't resist).
All: The main interest I had in MEW was the non-anime content. Perhaps emphasizing that angle will draw in bigger and more diverse crowds?
The main reason I didn't go was to be with my partner for the holiday. Likely there were many in that situation. There's pros and cons to the holiday timing.
Ellen. 2003: Fanfic panelist & contest judge.
2004: Beta Station Coord. 2005: Fan Creation Station Coord.;pre-event assistant to the con chair.2006: Fanfic Mgr/C.S. Coord.
2007, 8, 9, 10: Fan Creation Manager. 2011: Writing & Editing Coord (Publicity).

Offline nikkiolie

• Facebook
« Reply #435 on: January 03, 2009, 01:29:01 pm »
$2 for a tiny bottle of soda?  I can get a 1 liter for the same price down at 7-11!  D: Bwaaahhh...

Thats why I went down the hall to the vending machine.

as for the food situation I was good. We went to subway once, ate lots of cupcakes, and had pizza for one night. I think on the 1st all I had to eat was cupcakes >_> Could explain why I was so hyper @_@

Offline xkuroxhanax

• Chibi
    • LJ, gaiz.
« Reply #436 on: January 03, 2009, 01:33:01 pm »
xD mmm cupcakes.
2009 Cons:
~Sakura-con 09
~Anime Evolution 09
~Kumoricon 09

Current cosplays:
~Axel (KH2)
~Kanda (DGM)

oslapedo

« Reply #437 on: January 03, 2009, 01:33:50 pm »
I ate a bunch of cupcakes too, so good! I bet Nekopan got the most buisiness of all the vendors xD

Offline nikkiolie

• Facebook
« Reply #438 on: January 03, 2009, 01:40:14 pm »
I think so too. I had at least 12 cupcakes the whole con XD

Offline TanisNikana

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #439 on: January 03, 2009, 01:55:47 pm »
I think I had a few, two garble-blasters and a portal cake.

And three cupcakes with Haley and Bella at Lloyd Center.

oslapedo

« Reply #440 on: January 03, 2009, 02:00:54 pm »
12 cupcakes beats me I only had 3 :D

Offline nikkiolie

• Facebook
« Reply #441 on: January 03, 2009, 02:15:25 pm »
I think cupcakes are my favorite food ;D

Offline TanisNikana

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #442 on: January 03, 2009, 02:22:07 pm »
Blasphemy and heresy!

Bacon is everyone's favorite food.

Offline xkuroxhanax

• Chibi
    • LJ, gaiz.
« Reply #443 on: January 03, 2009, 03:13:39 pm »
i'm quite partial to pie, really.
2009 Cons:
~Sakura-con 09
~Anime Evolution 09
~Kumoricon 09

Current cosplays:
~Axel (KH2)
~Kanda (DGM)

Offline HatakeGirlX

• Catgirl
« Reply #444 on: January 03, 2009, 03:33:23 pm »
lol oh god not the Bacon thing again ;)
I actually didn't have any of the cup cakes this con :O
but I bought sooo much stuff xD

Offline Sayda

• Bunnygirl
    • Deviant Art.
« Reply #445 on: January 03, 2009, 03:35:29 pm »
I had a bite of a cupcake. But other then that, I brought 1$ to the convention. And I bought a beverage with it.
AX :
- Seras Victoria (Hellsing)
- Axel (Kingdom Hearts II)
- Debut Cosplay

oslapedo

« Reply #446 on: January 03, 2009, 03:40:47 pm »
All I bought was a NANA bag and an adorable lolita/maid headdress thing. And cupcakes :D

Offline nikkiolie

• Facebook
« Reply #447 on: January 03, 2009, 03:47:26 pm »
I like sweet food over savory food so cupcake are my favorite :P

Offline Kahlan4

• Catgirl
    • myspace
« Reply #448 on: January 03, 2009, 03:50:57 pm »
I like sweet food over savory food so cupcake are my favorite :P

i second the sweet over savory. that's why it's so hard for me to lose weight >.< *is fighting the temptation to eat loads of the truffles left over from christmas...* gahhhh

let's all meet at icicle inn!

Offline nikkiolie

• Facebook
« Reply #449 on: January 03, 2009, 04:09:07 pm »
I'm eating jelly bellys right now :P