Author Topic: Anime sugguestions please?  (Read 6332 times)

Offline Rai180990648

• Sailor Scout
Anime sugguestions please?
« on: April 22, 2009, 06:38:08 pm »
After hours of watching, I finally finished Lucky Star.

I would love sugguestions on what anime I should watch next, since I usually don't keep up with what's popular in anime and animated movies most of the time.

To get an idea, here's what anime/animated movies I have watched so far:

Lucky Star (Of course)

The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya

The Cat Returns and Whisper of the Heart

Loveless (I watched a little of it. I like yaoi and yuri, but Loveless didn't really get me hooked on the show that much)

Perfect Blue (BEST. SATOSHI KON MOVIE. EVER!*In my opinion anyway*)

Gravitation

Howl's Moving Castle

Tokyo Godfathers (Another great movie by Satoshi Kon)

.....and Fushigi Yūgi

That's all I can remember......

So please! If you have any recomendations, let me know! :)
« Last Edit: April 22, 2009, 06:38:47 pm by Rai180990648 »

Offline Hazuza

• Bunnygirl
    • DeviantArt
Re: Anime sugguestions please?
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2009, 07:00:59 pm »
Used this on another forum, and I'm copying it since I'm too lazy to retype another one personalized for ya *-* This person already watched some popular shounen that I left out, so... sorry that I leave out important ones xD
Hope it helps though.

If you're into action, Katekyo Hitman Reborn! is a good shounen that's pretty long... Gurren Lagann is a shorter series, but also good and popular. I haven't watched it, but it includes mechas...
Darker than black is a lesser known series, but also pretty action-y. Watch the opening of it and you might fall in love oUo
Wolf's Rain is kind of long, lots of unneeded episodes, but again, ACKSHUNNNN and a lot of philosophical crap too. If you like wolves, you might like it.
Code Geass is somewhat popular, and also really good. So many plot twists, expected and not. It's sort of like Deathnote, but more 'colorful' and actiony, and with a bit of comedy every few eps to lessen the drama. The ending is so amazing though, I cry every time I see it ;u; (DON'T LOOK UP ANY SPOILERS FOR THIS SERIES IF YOU DECIDE TO WATCH IT!! OR IT'LL RUIN THE END DDD: )

Higurashi no Naku Koro ni (aka Higurashi: When They Cry) Is kind of a good horror one, though a lot of comedy and filler-like episodes. It might seem kind of girly, but there's also lots of gore :D Paranoia Agent is also good if you want something creepy.

If you're interested in shoujo  Ouran High School Host Club and Haruhi Suzumiya no Yuutsu (The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya) are pretty well known. Ouran has a lot of comedy, and a wonderful ending! Tsubasa Chronicles is really cool so far, though it's not strictly shojo, there's a love element to it. It hasn't had me screaming at the television yet like some awesome anime, but it's pretty decent~

Haibane Renmei is lesser-known, kinda old, but if you want something more philosophical it's good. Not so much action in it, but it's a pretty sad and also symbolic.

For Comedy, Axis Powers Hetalia's awesome, but episodes are only 5 minutes ^-^; There are 50 total, but I can only find a few online... Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei's fun if you like things random, and it's... very random. No storyline. At all. But half of the episodes are really entertaining xD You could probably watch an ep between episodes of others. Bokusatsu Tenshi Dokuro-Chan is only 4 or 6 episodes long, extremely funny, but also really perverted xD

AAAAAAAnd that's all I've got :D

--

Oh wait, some other good older action ones are Cowboy Bebop and Trigun. They're both kind of a combination of 'Old West' with shootouts and stuff, and also Sci-fi. ... Well, Trigun not so much Sci-fi. I forgot most of it.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2009, 07:01:37 pm by Hazuza »

Offline nikkiolie

• It's over nine THOUSAND!!!!!
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2009, 07:17:36 pm »
There have been at least two or three topics about this already. Maybe you should try searching for them

Just by searching "suggestions" I found four
http://www.kumoricon.org/forums/index.php?topic=5652.0
http://www.kumoricon.org/forums/index.php?topic=6154.0
http://www.kumoricon.org/forums/index.php?topic=4906.0
http://www.kumoricon.org/forums/index.php?topic=3467.0

wait one more
http://www.kumoricon.org/forums/index.php?topic=4385.0

wow I just keep finding them
http://www.kumoricon.org/forums/index.php?topic=4987.0

I stopped looking for new ones because I think you get the point.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2009, 07:27:17 pm by nikkiolie »

Offline Mr Silmero

• Catgirl
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2009, 08:13:44 pm »
Note to poster: all posts that will most likely be posted here will sound a bit irritated, do not take them personally just know that the "suggestions" topic happens at least once a month and they have been done to death.

tl;dr- don't be hurt/offended if anyone here gives you some flack for bringing up this topic.

Also

Trouble Chocolate- it is a unknown high school love/comedy series.

Offline nikkiolie

• It's over nine THOUSAND!!!!!
    • Facebook
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2009, 08:19:03 pm »
Sorry that was a little rude ^_^;

One of my pet peeves is repeating myself. Or listening to others repeat themselves.

Offline Trumby

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2009, 11:18:39 pm »

Howl's Moving Castle

If you liked these three, I would suggest other Studio Ghibli/Hayao Miyazaki movies:

Laputa: Castle in the Sky
Spirited Away
Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind
Kiki's Delivery Service
My Neighbor Totoro
Grave of the Fireflies (this is a sad one)
Princess Mononoke
Gedo Senki - Tales from Earthsea
Porco Rosso
2011 New Cosplay Plans: Boba Fett, Hoshi (Arakawa Under the Bridge), Malcolm Reynolds

Offline Wuntvor

• Catgirl
    • http://wuntvor.home.comcast.net/anime_list.htm
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2009, 11:27:35 pm »
After hours of watching, I finally finished Lucky Star.

I would love sugguestions on what anime I should watch next, since I usually don't keep up with what's popular in anime and animated movies most of the time.

To get an idea, here's what anime/animated movies I have watched so far:

Lucky Star (Of course)
The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya
Loveless (I watched a little of it. I like yaoi and yuri, but Loveless didn't really get me hooked on the show that much)
Perfect Blue (BEST. SATOSHI KON MOVIE. EVER!*In my opinion anyway*)
Gravitation
Howl's Moving Castle
Tokyo Godfathers (Another great movie by Satoshi Kon)
.....and Fushigi Yūgi

That's all I can remember......

So please! If you have any recomendations, let me know! :)

I have also posted numerous times to these type of posts, but I find that people all prefer different styles of anime, so I end up recommending different shows each time.

If you liked Lucky Star and The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya you may want to try Combat Butler Hayate, Zettai Karen ChildrenKannagi, Toradora, Azumanga Daioh, and School Rumble.  They all are similar in content and style.

I see three of Studio Ghibli's works listed.  Have you also seen Kiki's Delivery Service, Porco Roso, Castle in the Sky, Spirited Away, Princess Mononoke, My Neighbor Totoro, Naussica and the Valley of the Wind, and Grave of the Fireflies?  Of these I like Kiki best.

Hmm.  Loveless and Gravitation.  I am not a major fan of either, but you might like Kyo Kara Maoh.

SATOSHI KON huh.  I prefered Tokyo Godfathers, but Millenium Actress and Paprika are pretty good as well.  Perfect Blue is a psycological thriller.  Not my favorite type of anime.  May try Serial Experiment Lain.

Fushigi Yūgi.  Hmm... May try The Twelve Kingdoms, or better yet Saiunkoku Monogatari, this is an exceptional anime. and extends for 39 episodes the first season and another 39 episodes for the second for 78 episodes in total.  Even with all that the story kept evolving and throwing in twists, so you never grew tired of watching.  You may also try watching Seirei no Moribito ~Guardian of the Sacred Spirit.  It is an extremely beautiful anime with a good plot.  After watching the first few minutes I always think of Xena Warrior Princess for some reason.

That aught to get you started.  Enjoy!

« Last Edit: April 22, 2009, 11:30:18 pm by Wuntvor »
(\,@/)  Quote from -  Rock & Rule
(=','=)  Stretch: MOK! Don't let him get us!  He'll put a heck on me!
 //_\\   Dizzy:    Hexx, Stretch.  Hexx.
  d b    Stretch: Aw!  Two of them!  That's even worse!

Offline Silence

• Sailor Scout
    • Silence's Gaia
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2009, 06:58:26 pm »
You shoud watch K-on!! :D its super cute ^_^ its new though, so currently there's only 3 eps out XD but u can watch them here : http://www.animeseason.com/k-on-episode-2/

@Hazuza: I watched a little of Darker than black cuz of An cafe opening XDD!! and I looooooove Higurashi!! I'm gona be takano in the angel mort cafe outfit next year for k con XD once i get the dang costume done lawl ;p

@ Rai: Tokyo Godfathers PWNS ;p
Who died and made you L?

'09 cosplays:
Day 1: Waloli (pink)
Day 2: Allen from D. Gray-Man (my first crossplay :3)
Day 3: Maid outfit from Higurashi no naku koro ni

See you there!~

Offline Coconutty93

• Bunnygirl
    • I will reject your reality and substitute it with my own...here.
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2009, 07:20:42 pm »
K-On! FOR THE WIN!!! I'm cosplaying Yui!!! And oslapedo is cosplaying Ritsu! 8D

Offline Silence

• Sailor Scout
    • Silence's Gaia
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2009, 08:04:40 pm »
Yeaa!!!!!! OMG i wanna take ur pics :DDDD how fun!!! i suppose if i cosplayed anyone from k-on, it'd be mugi chan ;p since i already have blonde hair XD i'd just have to get crazy eyebrows lol ;p are you coming to the sakura festival? if so u should wear ur k on XDD
Who died and made you L?

'09 cosplays:

See you there!~

Offline Namazzi

• Sailor Scout
    • My DeviantART
« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2009, 08:08:49 pm »
if you like lucky star and The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya, you might like Azumanga Daioh and Excel Saga..

Relating to the myazaki films you've watched. There are many others you can watch that are all wonderful (others have already suggested them). I think Castle in the Sky and Princess Mononoke are my two favorites out of them all (that i've seen so far.. still need to watch some of them myself!). Even though they are all great. <3  There is also a series I love that sort of reminds me of myazaki films. Though it's not related to him or his films. Just the feel of it. Might just be me.. haha. But you might want to give Utawarerumono a try. It's an action/drama/fantasy anime. And yes, that's what it's called.. I've had someone think I was spamming a forum once because I posted a thread about this anime, and the subject was of course the anime name.. LOL.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2009, 08:25:51 pm by Namazzi »

Offline Wuntvor

• Catgirl
« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2009, 09:41:40 pm »
You shoud watch K-on!! :D its super cute ^_^ its new though, so currently there's only 3 eps out XD but u can watch them here : http://www.animeseason.com/k-on-episode-2/

@Hazuza: I watched a little of Darker than black cuz of An cafe opening XDD!! and I looooooove Higurashi!! I'm gona be takano in the angel mort cafe outfit next year for k con XD once i get the dang costume done lawl ;p

@ Rai: Tokyo Godfathers PWNS ;p

GAHH!! How did I forget to mention K-On!  YES!  A must see for current anime.

Offline Silence

• Sailor Scout
    • Silence's Gaia
« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2009, 09:44:54 pm »
heheehheh!! ^_^ yosh, actually, from all this mentioning, i decided to watch teh 3 eps all over again XD and now i wan cakes XD and i want the 4th ep ;; nyaa. I'm glad so many people are watching it ^^
Who died and made you L?

'09 cosplays:

See you there!~

Offline Wuntvor

• Catgirl
« Reply #13 on: April 23, 2009, 10:03:24 pm »
heheehheh!! ^_^ yosh, actually, from all this mentioning, i decided to watch teh 3 eps all over again XD and now i wan cakes XD and i want the 4th ep ;; nyaa. I'm glad so many people are watching it ^^

Waiting for the WideScreen releases.  I hate how they release the WS version a good month later.  At least I get them.  Just means I end up watching it all over again (sigh)  Did you watch the first episode of Cross Game?  Did you cry?

Offline EveofAbyss

• Bunnygirl
    • Facebook
« Reply #14 on: April 24, 2009, 06:16:54 am »
if you like lucky star and The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya, you might like Azumanga Daioh and Excel Saga..

Relating to the myazaki films you've watched. There are many others you can watch that are all wonderful (others have already suggested them). I think Castle in the Sky and Princess Mononoke are my two favorites out of them all (that i've seen so far.. still need to watch some of them myself!). Even though they are all great. <3  There is also a series I love that sort of reminds me of myazaki films. Though it's not related to him or his films. Just the feel of it. Might just be me.. haha. But you might want to give Utawarerumono a try. It's an action/drama/fantasy anime. And yes, that's what it's called.. I've had someone think I was spamming a forum once because I posted a thread about this anime, and the subject was of course the anime name.. LOL.

Yay, Utawarerumono, haha. I'm watching through that right now. Love it, love it, love it! I would definitely recommend it for fans of Princess Mononoke, as it definitely bore some similarities in my eyes.

Also, I can't believe nobody has suggested this yet, but if you like Satoshi Kon, I would suggest Paranoia Agent. Amazingly dark and twisted, amazingly...amazing, lol. I haven't even finished it myself, but hopefully I am able to soon. What I have seen (about a third) has blown my mind visually and conceptually.

Buy my book of poems!
Lord Otaku commands you!

Offline Wuntvor

• Catgirl
« Reply #15 on: April 24, 2009, 01:40:07 pm »

Yay, Utawarerumono, haha. I'm watching through that right now. Love it, love it, love it! I would definitely recommend it for fans of Princess Mononoke, as it definitely bore some similarities in my eyes.

Also, I can't believe nobody has suggested this yet, but if you like Satoshi Kon, I would suggest Paranoia Agent. Amazingly dark and twisted, amazingly...amazing, lol. I haven't even finished it myself, but hopefully I am able to soon. What I have seen (about a third) has blown my mind visually and conceptually.

Yeah,  Utawarerumono is an AWESOME show.  The Guin Saga looks like it may follow a similar path.  I still say try watching Saiunkoku Monogatari first though.  I liked it better than any of the others.

I didn't mention Paranoia Agent because it was mentioned in the second post.  As I stated, not my kind of anime, but I do know who "Little Slugger" is.

Yea, CoalGuys released episode 4 of K-On!.  Time to watch!

Offline EveofAbyss

• Bunnygirl
    • Facebook
« Reply #16 on: April 24, 2009, 01:42:59 pm »
 :'( My ability to overlook things is beginning to worry me, lol. Sorry about repeating somebody else's suggestion. I honestly did not see Paranoia Agent mentioned.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2009, 01:43:10 pm by EveofAbyss »

Buy my book of poems!
Lord Otaku commands you!

Offline Kawaii Punkd

• Catgirl
    • My Cosplay Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 26, 2009, 01:23:19 am »
Paprikaif you love Satoshi Kon, you'll love this movie~

I happen to own it, so if you like, I can send a copy it to you~
MAX'in it from Beaverton all 3 days~

Offline Coconutty93

• Bunnygirl
    • I will reject your reality and substitute it with my own...here.
« Reply #18 on: April 27, 2009, 06:45:32 am »
Yeaa!!!!!! OMG i wanna take ur pics :DDDD how fun!!! i suppose if i cosplayed anyone from k-on, it'd be mugi chan ;p since i already have blonde hair XD i'd just have to get crazy eyebrows lol ;p are you coming to the sakura festival? if so u should wear ur k on XDD

Um, idk. When is it?

Offline seshetaxhikaru

• Sailor Scout
    • my random blog- Life Affairs
« Reply #19 on: May 01, 2009, 01:26:47 am »
miyazaki is awesome! You have to see his films, if you havent.

On that note, I saw someone mention gedo senki-tales from earthsea. Is this available stateside yet? I havent been able to find it anywhere.

Also, I didnt see these mentioned but they're some of my favorites:
Ouran High School Host Club
Ranma 1/2
Inuyasha
Vampire knight
Special A
Boys over flowers (Hana Yori Dango)-
This is a live action-didnt care for the anime
Full metal panic!
Full metal panic! fumofu!
Desert Punk - more of an adult manner
Fruits basket
inukami

Hope you find something that interests you.
I'd rather be a first rate me, than a second rate someone else.

Offline Wuntvor

• Catgirl
« Reply #20 on: May 07, 2009, 05:08:46 pm »
miyazaki is awesome! You have to see his films, if you havent.

On that note, I saw someone mention gedo senki-tales from earthsea. Is this available stateside yet? I havent been able to find it anywhere.

Also, I didnt see these mentioned but they're some of my favorites:
Ouran High School Host Club
Ranma 1/2
Inuyasha
Vampire knight
Special A
Boys over flowers (Hana Yori Dango)-
This is a live action-didnt care for the anime
Full metal panic!
Full metal panic! fumofu!
Desert Punk - more of an adult manner
Fruits basket
inukami

Hope you find something that interests you.

Thought I would mention that Ponyo - On the Cliff by the Sea the latest film by Hayao Miyazaki and Studio Ghibli should be available soon.  I think Disney is dubbing it for US audiences right now.  May be available this Summer.   ;D

Unfortunately Ged Senki-Tales from Earthsea can't be licensed in the States until the Sci Fi channels distribution rights on the Tales of Earthsea mini series they ran expire.  That wont be for another couple of years.    >:(

Also there is a third season of Full Metal Panic.  FMP - The Second Raid. Much more serious than Fumoffu, but it does have some great comedy scenes.   :P

Offline lightbeam911

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #21 on: May 12, 2009, 04:51:39 pm »
Given you just finished Lucky Star, I'm sure K-ON! has been suggested enough times XD

I've never been that great at grabbing anime out of what people say they like, but heres some that I'm fairly sure are no-fail:

Gurren Lagann (My spelling is probably wrong; watched it twice and the spelling still confuses me LOL)
Ouran High School Host Club (Even my friend, who swears she hates anime, cried when she learned the series was ending)
Rurouni Kenshin (Yes, its popular, but theres a reason for that ;D )
D Gray Man (Truly, it started to wear on me as it went into the 40's. But you can always read the manga from there on out, though its on haitus for who knows how long ;___;)
CardCaptor Sakura (You just CAN'T beat it)
Tetsuwan Birdy (A fairly unknown name thats REALLY worth watching. Heading into its second season)
Revolutionary Girl Untena