Author Topic: Reflections on the Idea of SakuraCon (A Brief Rant)  (Read 14403 times)

Offline EveofAbyss

• Bunnygirl
    • Facebook
Reflections on the Idea of SakuraCon (A Brief Rant)
« on: April 18, 2009, 02:34:02 am »
The fact that I have to attend SakuraCon to get any exposure as a cosplayer pisses me off.

EBK shoots at SakuraCon. Has he ever come to Kumoricon? To my knowledge he has not.

It just seems really ridiculous to me that Kumoricon and SakuraCon are in such close proximity to each other and yet Kumoricon is dwarfed to the point of being ignored by many of the people, organizations, and artists who (to be frank) make the difference for cosplayers.

Yup, pretty frustrating in my opinion.

Buy my book of poems!
Lord Otaku commands you!

Offline Cassiopeia

• Bunnygirl
    • Cake on a Plane!~
Re: Reflections on the Idea of SakuraCon (A Brief Rant)
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2009, 02:40:40 am »
I ♥ Kumoricon and Sakura-Con for different reasons.

Also, I don't think that's true. What kind of exposure are you looking for anyway? Cosplaying shouldn't be about that.
I HAVE SUCCUMBED AND GIVEN MYSELF A SIGNATURE! :000
Kumoricon 2010 Cosplays: Kyouya Ootori, Spain, Yoru

Offline EveofAbyss

• Bunnygirl
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2009, 02:57:58 am »
When I say exposure I mean recognition. I actually would like to be known for a couple of my costumes (as many cosplayers become known for their well-done costumes/characters). So much of that hinges on meeting up with the right photographer at the right con, but if no pro. photographers come to Kumoricon, it tends to limit the possibilities without venturing out further.

And I don't think wanting recognition for a well-done cosplay is by any means too much to ask.

Basically, my argument is that SakuraCon is all over the internet, photos all over Cosplay.com and the like, but even at Kumoricon's peak, there isn't that much of a response. Or maybe I've just never been looking in the right places.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2009, 03:00:15 am by EveofAbyss »

Buy my book of poems!
Lord Otaku commands you!

Offline Trumby

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2009, 03:06:16 am »
What people, organizations, and artists are you talking about, other than photographers?

As for pro photographers..honestly, EBK's photos actually aren't all that amazing when you look at it. I've seen just random folks posting pictures from Sakura-con that take way better pictures. If you want good photos (which will get you recognition), set up private shoots with people that do go to Kumoricon. I know there's quite a few great photographers that do go.

I've been to 6 cons (Sakura-con 2006-2009, AUSA 2007, Fanime 2008) that EBK has been at and the first time he took my picture was at this year's Sakura-con (I don't count a photoshoot my girlfriend and I did with him, because she requested it) :P As far as I know he's never been to Kumoricon, as he does Dragon*Con that weekend.

But me personally, I don't really care either way whether I get any exposure..as can be seen by my cosplay.com gallery that hasn't been updated since 2006 <.< I'm already known by quite a few of the regulars at both Kumoricon and Sakura-con for my Greed, because I have worn it for four years in a row at both cons at least once throughout the weekend.

I think the biggest thing with being known for a costume is either wearing it to the same con a lot like I have, or going to a lot of different conventions and wear it to each of them.
2011 New Cosplay Plans: Boba Fett, Hoshi (Arakawa Under the Bridge), Malcolm Reynolds

Offline EveofAbyss

• Bunnygirl
    • Facebook
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2009, 03:07:40 am »
Alright, good points. Thanks, Trumby.

Yeah, basically...I just want to "break in", so to speak, and I will put more effort towards finding the photographers who do attend to Kumoricon.

Also, when I mentioned artists, I meant musical acts and bands, but I guess a lot of that could be attributed to SakuraCon's size. I'm sure once Kumoricon grows it will get more nationwide recognition and more bands will want to come and play here.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2009, 03:09:12 am by EveofAbyss »

Buy my book of poems!
Lord Otaku commands you!

Offline Cassiopeia

• Bunnygirl
    • Cake on a Plane!~
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2009, 03:11:11 am »
Well then we just have to make it so! Haul a photographer friend with you if you've got one. Set up a shoot if you want one from a photographer that already comes. Also take as many pics as you can and post them places to garner attention. If you bring it to others, it'll help bring it to you.

You already know that Sakura-Con is way bigger and has been going longer than Kumoricon. They also have more big name industry guests that people go for. I dare say our forums are better though.. ;D

If it's any consolation, I think your cosplay is awesome. But whenever I see you irl (which has been a couple times) I get intimidated and don't speak up. >__________>`
I HAVE SUCCUMBED AND GIVEN MYSELF A SIGNATURE! :000
Kumoricon 2010 Cosplays: Kyouya Ootori, Spain, Yoru

Offline EveofAbyss

• Bunnygirl
    • Facebook
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2009, 03:15:41 am »
haha, thanks, Cassiopeia (And I am working on the approachability aspect. ^_^) But yes, I am aiming to make this year count. I do have a photographer friend who I am trying to convince to come out, but yeah, thanks for the advice and help, heh. It is one big process, as the con grows, everything else will as well.

And I do plan to go to SakuraCon at some point. I realize it is kind of inevitable, haha. Every year I just think it is so inconvenient for my schedule, but I will make it work sooner or later. The photos from it this year make it look like a massive blast (more so than it has looked in previous years, to me anyway).

Buy my book of poems!
Lord Otaku commands you!

Offline DancingTofu

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2009, 04:34:53 am »
I dare say our forums are better though.. ;D
This is truth. :]

Anyway, Sakuracon's selling point is the fact that it's so established.  That's also it's biggest problem.  New ideas and changes tend to be avoided.  Everything at Sakuracon is about being the biggest an the most elaborate convention around rather than being the most enjoyable experience possible.  That's why Kumoricon has been so strong for the last few years.  Our convention is built around what works in practice whereas Sakuracon is built on what works in theory.  This means they do tend to go out and get celebrity guests and more widespread attention, but it also means it's not really as fun as it could be.
moderators gonna moderate </shrug>

Offline nikkiolie

• It's over nine THOUSAND!!!!!
    • Facebook
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2009, 08:17:02 am »
I would say track down Cosplay Hunter during Kumoricon (he does go after all) and get some pictures with him. He takes some amazing action shots. However, he does take some time to upload his pictures, but that could be due to the fact that his site went down.

I'm still waiting on Kumoricon pictures x.x

http://www.cosplayhunter.com/gallery?g2_itemId=5226

Offline dshwshr55

• Chibi
« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2009, 08:19:53 am »
Fun is relative to what you're looking for at an anime/gaming con. Sakuracon didn't exactly slack on the gaming variety or competition. I think there was a wider range of TTRPGs/LARP going on last time I was there. Of course, I wasn't too impressed by the panel selection either. The best time I had was spent taking pictures of the cosplayers rather than any sponsored event they were holding. I have to agree that Kcon people know how to have fun, though ^^

@ Eve
On the other hand, when you talk about 'professional photographers', you have to think in terms of what's most profitable or attention worthy to THEM. They want to make it just as much as you, I'll bet, and bigger cons bring more cosplayers. That's the truth. In a perfect world, you'd be free from the constraints of finances and schedules, and you'd be able to go to any con, anytime, anywhere. But if you can't go to them at Otakon, ACen, or Fanime, you can't expect them to come to you here instead.
You have some awesome, awesome costumes, and I'm sure there will be some people at Kcon who are just as passionate about photography as you are about cosplaying. You just have to find them. That's why there's a con pic thread - for both cosplayers AND picture-takers to show off their skills.

Offline EveofAbyss

• Bunnygirl
    • Facebook
« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2009, 09:28:18 am »
@ Eve
On the other hand, when you talk about 'professional photographers', you have to think in terms of what's most profitable or attention worthy to THEM. They want to make it just as much as you, I'll bet, and bigger cons bring more cosplayers. That's the truth. In a perfect world, you'd be free from the constraints of finances and schedules, and you'd be able to go to any con, anytime, anywhere. But if you can't go to them at Otakon, ACen, or Fanime, you can't expect them to come to you here instead.
You have some awesome, awesome costumes, and I'm sure there will be some people at Kcon who are just as passionate about photography as you are about cosplaying. You just have to find them. That's why there's a con pic thread - for both cosplayers AND picture-takers to show off their skills.

I am enlightened. ^_^ That makes a lot of sense. Thanks, dshwsher55.

I would say track down Cosplay Hunter during Kumoricon (he does go after all) and get some pictures with him. He takes some amazing action shots. However, he does take some time to upload his pictures, but that could be due to the fact that his site went down.

I'm still waiting on Kumoricon pictures x.x

http://www.cosplayhunter.com/gallery?g2_itemId=5226

Thanks for the suggestion, definitely will keep that tabbed.

Buy my book of poems!
Lord Otaku commands you!

Offline tofutakeout

• Bunnygirl
    • Deviantart
« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2009, 09:56:19 am »
I know what you mean. I always tend to cosplay characters from non-mainstream series. so I don't get recognized easily or even at all. :/ It's nice to be shown some love and asked for a photo of your costume you put a lot of thought and work into.
da/tumblr
Pull the trigger, pull the trigger, pull the trigger. BOOM

Offline nikkiolie

• Facebook
« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2009, 11:14:54 am »
And actually I think some of the best pictures of me from Sakuracon haven't been posted yet and they are from the Yuffie that was hanging out with me. She is a photography major and took some beautiful pictures. I just wish she would up load them. So she isn't a pro....yet. You just have to find people you know. Patrick for example has a nice camera and I bet he can take really good pictures. I think I remember him saying he was thinking about majoring in photography. So you could always get him to take your picture. Also my original Albel pictures were all taken by Devin. So you really don't need a pro to get recognition.

Though it helps if you get one that is well known and they post the photo shoot somewhere ^_^;

Offline EveofAbyss

• Bunnygirl
    • Facebook
« Reply #13 on: April 19, 2009, 07:46:54 am »
Though it helps if you get one that is well known and they post the photo shoot somewhere ^_^;

haha, typical con-shoot syndrome, where 9 out of 10 people who take your picture will never post their picture online anywhere, lol.

Buy my book of poems!
Lord Otaku commands you!

Offline BigGuy

• Catgirl
« Reply #14 on: April 19, 2009, 09:30:33 am »
Also on the topic of EBK specifically, if your a guy he generally won't take your picture unless your costume is amazing, if your a girl however he'll take bunches.

And now I'm a catgirl?

The voice of the one I love
was all I could hear as I lay broken in the darkness
My own voice faltered
My wings no longer had the strength to fly
 -Lagoon Engine Einsatz-

Offline EveofAbyss

• Bunnygirl
    • Facebook
« Reply #15 on: April 19, 2009, 10:57:39 am »
Also on the topic of EBK specifically, if your a guy he generally won't take your picture unless your costume is amazing, if your a girl however he'll take bunches.

ha, didn't take that into consideration, but women do make up the majority of photos I've seen from him. Good point.

Also, I just wanted to clarify and say I mentioned EBK as an example, I didn't want to make it look like he was the only photographer I considered "influential", you know?

Buy my book of poems!
Lord Otaku commands you!

Offline xxxchihiroxxx

• Bunnygirl
    • My deviantart
« Reply #16 on: April 19, 2009, 11:05:41 am »
I know there are a few other photographers coming to the con, its just a matter of getting to know them. Sad thing is a few dont post their pictures r their not much for online posting so its hard to get in contact with them.

and acttualy, most of the time when you noticed "famous" cosplayers because of photos those are most likley private shoots : o Its genearly very difficult to get good pictures in a con environment and if they are its ussualy a private shoot within the con itself which usualy requires reservation of said photographer.

my best sugestion is to make friends with photographers! Dont be friends with them just because they know how to use a camera but know that its a nice pluss if they attend cons : ) My friend Magali is in photography classes this year so we have a deal as far as cosplay goes, I make the costumes, she takes the pictures.

best of luck finding a good photographer Eve
returning with a vengeance to K con~

Offline KogaRyu

• Catgirl
« Reply #17 on: April 19, 2009, 03:47:52 pm »

It just seems really ridiculous to me that Kumoricon and SakuraCon are in such close proximity to each other and yet Kumoricon is dwarfed to the point of being ignored by many of the people, organizations, and artists who (to be frank) make the difference for cosplayers.

Im sure I've said this before but I think Kumoricon would get slightly better attendance if it wasn't held the exact same weekend as PAX. Even though PAX is Gaming and not Anime there are always abunch of cosplayers there and in terms of convention size it is much bigger. Im sure there are people that regularly attend PAX that would also love to go to Kumoricon but don't due to the fact that its the same weekend.
Team Koga

Offline shanime_panda

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #18 on: April 19, 2009, 04:47:21 pm »
I was thinking the same thing when I saw that bothe KoiCosplay AND FightingDreamersPro went to Sakura-Con, but they didn't go to Kumoricon =[
OH well, at least we had Joey XD
too bad I didn't see her

Offline xxxchihiroxxx

• Bunnygirl
    • My deviantart
« Reply #19 on: April 19, 2009, 05:37:24 pm »
dana: well its ussualy because of lack of exposure : / they have to draw attention to themselfs and know the right places to post their pictures and ussualy have good pictures as well

Offline nikkiolie

• Facebook
« Reply #20 on: April 19, 2009, 06:06:51 pm »
A lot of the popular cosplays activly seek out photographers. They go out looking for ways to get their picture taken. Another way to get well known is to ost your pictures everywhere. I have an account with ACP, cosplay.com, cosplaylab.com, and cossworks. I have also started posting my pictures on deviant art. Lots of people have seen my pictures so that is another thing to take into consideration.

Also, all those cosplay websites have forums too. I try to post quite a bit in the cosplay.com forums and there is even a board where it makes a game out of commenting on pictures. Its very simple, you comment on a picture from the last posters profile.

Offline Trumby

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #21 on: April 19, 2009, 06:40:08 pm »

Im sure I've said this before but I think Kumoricon would get slightly better attendance if it wasn't held the exact same weekend as PAX. Even though PAX is Gaming and not Anime there are always abunch of cosplayers there and in terms of convention size it is much bigger. Im sure there are people that regularly attend PAX that would also love to go to Kumoricon but don't due to the fact that its the same weekend.
That was PAX's doing, not ours ;)
2011 New Cosplay Plans: Boba Fett, Hoshi (Arakawa Under the Bridge), Malcolm Reynolds

Offline Mr Silmero

• Catgirl
« Reply #22 on: April 19, 2009, 11:03:04 pm »
ok I have to ask the dumb question

who is EBK? I've never heard of him.

Offline KogaRyu

• Catgirl
« Reply #23 on: April 19, 2009, 11:22:44 pm »
I think they're talking bout Erobeat King, or something like that.

Yup that would be the one.
 Eurobeat King = EBK
Team Koga

Offline Mr Silmero

• Catgirl
« Reply #24 on: April 19, 2009, 11:24:23 pm »
Cosplay.com is down for me but I see the stats

Photos:247863

if those are all con photos I can see why he is well known.

Offline Trumby

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #25 on: April 19, 2009, 11:39:51 pm »
Yeah, he takes a good 3000-ish pictures usually at each con. He'll usually take like up to 10 of one cosplayer, though different angles and such.

Offline Mr Silmero

• Catgirl
« Reply #26 on: April 19, 2009, 11:48:18 pm »
impressive, wonder what equipment he uses... (is a big photo nerd)

But I digress I am going off topic, sorry.

Offline shanime_panda

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #27 on: April 20, 2009, 06:50:01 am »
well,the two groups I mentioned mostly got 'popular' through the power of youtube.
They are ordinary cosplayers like everyone else, but they have groups that make tons of videos and they perform skits at cons and go to cons very actively.

I think it's mostly the youtube thing though. lol. and they are really funny.

Offline xxxchihiroxxx

• Bunnygirl
    • My deviantart
« Reply #28 on: April 20, 2009, 07:17:40 am »
well,the two groups I mentioned mostly got 'popular' through the power of youtube.
They are ordinary cosplayers like everyone else, but they have groups that make tons of videos and they perform skits at cons and go to cons very actively.

I think it's mostly the youtube thing though. lol. and they are really funny.

charisma : P thats what does it.

Offline Sutie

• Chibi
« Reply #29 on: April 20, 2009, 12:23:25 pm »
^haha, that is very true!

I used a 35mm SLR at Sakura con though the problem I was worried about did take effect. Still got quite a few great shots. A lot of photographers stopped to talk to me because I was using a 35mm. Pretty much eveyone has switched to digital to keep up with the times but 35mm will captue people like a digital cannot.
I'll be bringing my equipment to Kumoricon with me and be taking lots of pictures! I love to do mini-photo shoots with people. I'm doing so with everyone comming to the Cosplay Beach Trip. (found in "plan your own adventure")

Great anime review site! http://www.otakureview.net/

Offline nikkiolie

• Facebook
« Reply #30 on: April 20, 2009, 03:09:34 pm »
Alright sweetness. I am looking forward to the beach trip ;D

But yeah that is how it is done. So far the best picture I have (in my opinion) is by an amateur not by a professional.

This picture was taken by one of the two twins that I was hanging out with at Sakuracon. Not only do good pictures require someone who can take the pictures but also a good pose.

Offline BlackjackGabbiani

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #31 on: April 26, 2009, 03:24:56 am »
Huh, when did Fansview go down? Is that a recent development? I just tried it and couldn't get on it.
Anyway, I was going to say that the guy who ran it told me once that he wouldn't go to Kcon because it was on Labor Day weekend, and he always saw a car race then. So it wasn't the size, but the timing.

Offline EveofAbyss

• Bunnygirl
    • Facebook
« Reply #32 on: April 26, 2009, 03:37:03 am »
That does make sense. It seems there are actually quite a few competing events going on that weekend. One I just learned about is Dragon Con. I knew about it by name but didn't know it was on the same weekend until recently. Seems like a lot of people plan to head down there on that weekend, even though they are from this area.

Buy my book of poems!
Lord Otaku commands you!

Offline AnimeMatrix

• Chibi
« Reply #33 on: April 28, 2009, 12:06:54 am »
One reason why Sakura Con is so well known is PUBLICITY! I'm not saying that Jeff Tyrill doesn't do an awsome job, but Sakura Con also has an awsome Director of Publicity that makes sure that Sakura Con is well-advertised and plenty of people know about it. That's why if people ever attend the general meetings- take fliers! Take posters! Talk about it, mention it, and post about on any other forums you go to including social-networking sites! Plaster your neck of the woods blue and white and tell your friends/family/dog/random neighbor about it! Jeff can make all the add deals he can but it'll have no substance if our attendees don't also spread the word.

I personally kinda like that Kumori Con isn't a huge and major convention. It's like a hidden gem of the convention world which is really reflective of Portland's (and Oregon in general) alternative spirit. Portland (and Oregon) is just filled with those small, only-locals-know and independently-owned businesses and stores that are all like hidden secrets that only Oregonians know. So it's kinda like Kumori Con, even if it isn't like the biggest con in the Northwest much less the country, it's a great and awsome con that only us Portlanders and Oregonians know is awsome and it's great to share the awsome with out-of-staters.

And for the record, I also staff for Sakura Con and I think Sakura Con is awsome. I never think one con is better than another- they're all just different. Kinda like people.

Offline nikkiolie

• Facebook
« Reply #34 on: April 28, 2009, 04:37:07 pm »
all good photos require a creative mind ^_^ So if you think of some original shots then get someone to take the picture.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2009, 05:25:27 pm by nikkiolie »

Offline nikkiolie

• Facebook
« Reply #35 on: April 28, 2009, 05:26:14 pm »
alright I fixed the slight problem with my other post.

Yeah I know what you mean though, my mom isn't that great at taking pictures x.x

Offline shanime_panda

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #36 on: April 28, 2009, 06:43:53 pm »
well, I'm in California but I heard about it from my friends XD

we also mustn't forget that Kumoricon is growing every year.
after getting back from last year, we told ALL our other anime friends how amazing it was and now there's like 3 or 4 groups from our school going this year 0.o
as well as other little kiddies who heard from older siblings, it's crazy!!