Author Topic: Just got a PS3- few questions  (Read 4384 times)

Offline xxxchihiroxxx

• Bunnygirl
    • My deviantart
Just got a PS3- few questions
« on: April 11, 2009, 12:43:22 pm »
Alright so yesterday while at the Sony store my mom and I were just sitting watching the TV's when suddenly when the guy asked "You wanna buy it?" My mom just nodded and signed the paper work, this is with no thinking about it before hand or anything. then when asked "The total is $2000, you also get a special deal with the PS3 $200 off, interested?" and mom just randomly signed the papers again and we ended walking out with a 46 inch flat screen tv, and a brand new PS3.

Ive never had a PS3 before, I was just loving my old PS2 and playing it constantly. We just got it hooked up thanks to my cousins help but I gotta say I have a few questions.

1) any of you know how backwards compatible this system is? The research I could dig up it apears it only plays some games from PS2 and I cant tell if it plays PS games yet.

2) does it hook up to the internet like xBox live?

3) Any game recommendations? Soul caliber is first on my list but any others beyond that? I like RPG games a lot but Im not so sure which ones are the best right now.

thanks for your time <3

Chihiro
returning with a vengeance to K con~

Offline Serika

• Catgirl
Re: Just got a PS3- few questions
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2009, 01:45:54 am »
It actually depends on the size of the PS3 and I'm pretty sure when it was made.  I'm not an expert thought, my dad did basically the same thing... Midlife crisis and all.  As a result, I'm not sure of the size of my PS3, but I do know that is IS backwards compatible. 

However, some models ARE NOT backwards compatible... I think newer ones aren't. 

I'm pretty sure it connects to the internet, like 99% sure, but my dad keeps messing with the internet so we can get it OMG!faster, and so any attempts I make to connect to the internet with ANY of our consoles result in DURRP GOTTA RESTART AND ENTER PASSWORDS THAT ARE KEPT COMPLETELY SECRET but yes, there is an internet browser option. 

ETERNAL SONATA.  IS AN AMAZING GAME.  It has bonus content not on the 360 version, it is a BEAUTIFUL RPG with amazing music... Sometimes the dialogue is a little weird and there is one scene in the game that is just plain awful, but regardless, I love it.  Ending made me cry.  Please support the company, please buy this game.  Also, it has a fantastic battle system in my opinion.  It's also fairly easy, which I like.  Only one real side quest that I'm aware of, and fairly short, but I'd say well worth it. 
Valkyria Chronicles is also a great strategy game.  It's during a war but it doesn't give off that sort of "war game" vibe.  This one's also pretty and fun.  Battles can take up to an hour or so, but in between each battle is a good chunk of plot/general character antics.  It's a very character driven game, which is always nice I think. 8D Battles are, however, very difficult at the beginning and do require a bit of strategy and exploration.  If you're impatient, it might not be so awesome for you, but there are a lot of extras and other fun things.  I haven't beaten it yet but it's pretty fun.  It's become kind of a cult classic. 

Sadly, those are the only two PS3 games I've played... My library is rather unimpressive... But I'm really looking forward to White Knight Chronicles, and I've heard good things about Disgaea 3, but I'm not too big on Disgaea's battle system and I spoiled the ending for myself, so I couldn't tell you personally.  Oh, and Tales of Vesperia is being ported to the PS3 with new content, but we're not positive that it's going to be localized. 
lol peer pressure

Plans:
Kumoricon '11: Catherine (Catherine), Nanami (Revolutionary Girl Utena)
Sakuracon '12: Ryfia (Arc Rise Fantasia), other things

Offline dshwshr55

• Chibi
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2009, 02:02:49 am »
Eternal Sonata is at the top of my recommended list of RPGs, too. Lost Odyssey has a good story, but very difficult in some parts.
I'm a big fan of racing games, and the Wipeout series has been my favorite since the PS1. I decided to buy a PS3 just for Wipeout HD and haven't been disappointed at all!
And of course no matter what genre of games you like, you are GUARANTEED to enjoy Little Big Planet.

Offline Brendan2

• Cabbit
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2009, 07:31:22 am »
First off ps3 does have Internetz called the Playstation network its free.
You can even browse the internet on your ps3.
You can download Home for free!! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M1EWBldjKQQ
Naruto storm: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YE8ywlRmHtw
Ps3 doesnt have to many rpgs yet but theres.
White Knight Chronicles http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ItHOTqmrurA
Last Remnant http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ARz6fPLmSPo
Disgaia 3 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Iq--ujcKAs
Tales of Vesperia http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mzO_HHbO0EA&feature=related
star ocean 4 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SfsWd9KqxDE&feature=related
Theres prob more and some of those are not out yet  for the ps3 but that will prob change l8er.

Offline dshwshr55

• Chibi
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2009, 07:55:11 am »
One RPG I'm really looking forward to is called Cross Edge. It's a compilation of 5 different companies' games from Capcom, Bandai, Gust, Nippon Ichi, and Compile Heart. It'll have characters from Disgaea, Darkstalkers, Ar Tonelico, and others. It comes out May 19 I think.
http://nisamerica.com/games/crossedge/

And another game I'm ecstatic about is BlazBlue - a fighting game made by the same people who made Guilty Gear. Even if you aren't into fighting games, I recommend just checking out this trailer!
http://www.gametrailers.com/player/41265.html
It'll finally be hitting these western shores this summer ^^

Offline Seluecos

• Bunnygirl
    • My Myspace Page ^_^
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2009, 01:09:07 pm »
Eternal Sonata is a REALLY REALLY good RPG for the PS3
Naruto Ultimate Ninja: Storm is a lot of fun too
Go Soul Cal IV! I got it on the release day and love it a ton XD
As for backwards compatibility...if it's not a 60 GB one (Which I doubt cuz they stopped those a while ago) it'll only play PS1 games and not PS2 games.

I'm tracking Tales of Vesperia, White Knight Chronicles and just about anything Square Enix will release

Oh, this is a nice trick I learned recently...
If you turn the PS3 on by holding down the eject button/thing/place for 5 seconds, the fan kicks on to ultra-high-super mode and blows all the dust outta the PS3. It's a really nice trick, buuut, keep in mind that whilst the dust won't be in the PS3, it WILL however, be all over your house XD
THE POWER OF COMMUNISM!

Offline xxxchihiroxxx

• Bunnygirl
    • My deviantart
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2009, 07:30:16 pm »
Serika: xD mines the latest model so I dont know how backwards compatible it is, just in case I saved  my PS2 and PS1.

everyone else: Eternal Sonata? Hmm I'll have to check it out : ) Thanks for the tips!

Seluecos: I'll have to remeber that xD
returning with a vengeance to K con~

Offline allstarsniper32

• Chibi
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2009, 06:56:12 pm »
Have you played any of the Metal Gear Solid games? the last one, Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots, is for the PS3 only.

I also concur with Disgaea 3, if you want the first two games they are on PS2 and I have over 200 hours clocked on both of them.

I wish I got a PS3 instead of a 360 myself.

Offline NeonFoxRocks

• Catgirl
    • Faceroll
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2009, 11:01:15 pm »
Burnout Paradise is fun if you like racing games a little (cause of crazy crashes) blended with a RPG actualy it's quite fun! Street fighter 4 is awesome even if you're not a hard core person most of the moves are easy =). Little big planet is very fun and kinda cutesy.
http://www.gamespot.com/ps3/index.html is a good index of new games that are coming out and popular games that you might like, feel free to invite me to be friends my ID is KangarooSoap I don't play much but having more friends makes you feel popular =)
++Wooper++Wooper++Wooper++

方囲!定礎!結!

Offline dshwshr55

• Chibi
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2009, 06:49:34 am »
I got Burnout: Paradise when it first came out for the 360 (I had that before the PS3). I wish the consoles could mix networks...
If you're into racing games, get Wipeout HD on the PS3. I will absolutely DIE of joy!! It can only be bought at the PS Store.

Offline Blue Leader

• Chibi
    • Blue Banshees Productions
« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2009, 08:58:48 pm »
I can't believe no one's mentioned this game yet... Valkyria Chronicles. It's a great PS3 game. It's an RPG with a slight mix of FPS.

Some other games I've enjoyed are Dynasty Warriors: Gundam (the second one comes out Tuesday-- yay!), Resistance: Fall of Man, Mirror's Edge, Star Wars: The Force Unleashed, Mercenaries 2, Wheelman, Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots (amazing game), Uncharted: Drake's Fortune, The Darkness (should be pretty cheap now), Farycry 2.
And while I haven't played it for on the PS3 yet, I've played it on pretty much every other system (and own it for the PS2, PC and DS): LEGO Star Wars.

And while these weren't very popular, I still enjoyed them...
-Dark Sector
-X-Blades (rent it first)
-Mobile Suit Gundam: Crossfire

I'm looking forward to Red Faction: Guerrilla; and some day there's supposedly another Twisted Metal game hitting the PS3...
Steambot Chronicles/Bumpy Trot 2 is coming out for the PS3 as well. Though I'm not sure if it's going to be released outside of Japan or not...
« Last Edit: April 19, 2009, 09:00:33 pm by Blue Leader »

This Year's Cosplay:
Jedi Knight, Heat Guy J(?)

Offline KogaRyu

• Catgirl
« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2009, 10:52:07 am »
Valkyria Chronicles is also a great strategy game.  It's during a war but it doesn't give off that sort of "war game" vibe.  This one's also pretty and fun.  Battles can take up to an hour or so, but in between each battle is a good chunk of plot/general character antics.  It's a very character driven game, which is always nice I think. 8D Battles are, however, very difficult at the beginning and do require a bit of strategy and exploration.  If you're impatient, it might not be so awesome for you, but there are a lot of extras and other fun things.  I haven't beaten it yet but it's pretty fun.  It's become kind of a cult classic. 

I can't believe no one's mentioned this game yet... Valkyria Chronicles. It's a great PS3 game. It's an RPG with a slight mix of FPS.

LooOooL
Team Koga