Author Topic: Official Wig Help Thread  (Read 650317 times)

Offline LtCommanderRichie

• Bunnygirl
Re: Official Wig Help Thread
« Reply #900 on: July 23, 2011, 12:49:49 pm »
Guys, if you're looking for a good quality wig for a low price I recommend this site: http://www.wig-supplier.com/
Their wigs are cheap and really good quality and the shipping is pretty can go from $3 to $10 if you're only buying one wig.

They're a scam. They are, among other things, image thieves for their products. Don't trust anyone who doesn't have their own stock photos.

Offline Washougal_Otaku

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #901 on: July 23, 2011, 01:58:42 pm »
I'm planning on going to Wig Land to see if they have a suitable Sailor Neptune wig.  SteeleyChan gave me one, but it looks more like Mercury dyed her hair.  (Sorry, Steeley...)

So I got this really nice long silver wig for my cosplay as Anju Maaka (see picture <----- for reference), but it needs some styling. I'm am scared to death of ruining the wig and was wondering if anyone could point me in the direction of someone who knows what their doing when it comes to wig styling. Preferably someone who doesn't charge too much for their services.

Thanks ♥

:o

I LOVE KARIN!!!  I look forward to seeing your cosplay!!!
My cosplay plans for 2022 (thus far): Vanir from Konosuba
My son's plans this year (thus far): Penguin Chiyo-chan from Azumanga Daioh

Offline RozenMaiden_Girl

• Bunnygirl
    • My Deviantart
« Reply #902 on: July 23, 2011, 05:43:09 pm »
So I just got a wig with hair drills For teto, and I am scared they will get ruined. How can I make sure that they stay nice?
Lolita and "lolita cosplay" are not the same thing, and ever will be. Period.

Offline OokamiYami

• Catgirl
    • Facebook
« Reply #903 on: July 29, 2011, 12:40:41 am »
Anyone know how to properly cut a wig so it looks good?

It kind of really depends on how you want it to look. Layers, choppy, bowl cut, etc. o.o I cut people's hair and wigs a lot, so I have the experience in cutting wigs and hair.

Offline Kagome219

• Bunnygirl
    • Bloggin' lolol~
« Reply #905 on: July 30, 2011, 11:10:58 pm »
How would one turn this: http://tinyurl.com/3qy8hwe
into this: http://tinyurl.com/3scdb7r ?
I have a feeling my first mistake was not buying wig extensions...
Help would be greatly appreciated!
K-con '11 Cosplays:
NO, Thank You!!Mio (K-ON!!) - 100%
Haruhi Suzumiya (TMoHS) - 100%
Sollux (Homestuck) - 100%
Crystal (Pokemon Crystal Version) - 100%
Don't say "lazy"!Mio (K-ON!) - 100%
Alice (Pandora Hearts) - 100%
Haruhi Fujioka (OHSHC) - 100%

Offline Tobis A Good Boy

• Sailor Scout
    • My Deviantart
« Reply #906 on: July 31, 2011, 12:47:19 am »
@Vampire-Kameko: I was ganna say I like the deep pink it seems to be sold out.

http://www.cosplaywigsusa.com/gothic-lolita-wigs/wavy-deep-pink-lolita-sold-out/
Kumoricon 2011:
Harley - Pokemon
Lobelia Haruhi - Ouran
Lyoko Yumi {First season} - Code Lyoko

Kumoricon 2012:
Secret x3

Offline Blender

• Chibi
« Reply #907 on: July 31, 2011, 02:39:15 pm »
How would one turn this: http://tinyurl.com/3qy8hwe
into this: http://tinyurl.com/3scdb7r ?
I have a feeling my first mistake was not buying wig extensions...
Help would be greatly appreciated!
Your best bet would be to take some wire and form it into the shape you need and attach it to the wig and form the hair around it. But you may need a longer wig...

Offline Coconutty93

• Bunnygirl
    • I will reject your reality and substitute it with my own...here.
« Reply #908 on: July 31, 2011, 04:59:59 pm »
Hmmm...yeah, I like it too. I've always wanted to try ponytails but I guess I can save that for the next time. :) Besides, a natural color seems best for now.

Offline Coconutty93

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #910 on: August 03, 2011, 09:48:48 am »
Teddy: I like the style of the first one but the color of the second one but if I had to choose I would say get the second one and trim it a teeny bit. :)

Offline Teddy_Bearxx

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #911 on: August 03, 2011, 09:56:25 am »
Alrighty, awesome :)

Offline kaylakamikaze

• Cabbit
« Reply #912 on: August 04, 2011, 11:47:17 am »
OK so I am going to cosplay Eruka from soul eater I have the outfit finished and everything the only thing I cant find is a wig. I check ebay and they are all way too short and its almost impossible to find a wig that length with bangs im about to slam my head on my keyboard out of frustration.
kumoricon 2012

day 1 Ash - black butler 0 percent
day 2 Will of the Abyss - pandora hearts 0 percent
day 3 Eruka - soul eater - 95 percent

Offline bunny_jean

• Catgirl
« Reply #913 on: August 04, 2011, 12:08:10 pm »
This one looks pretty fab to me: http://cgi.ebay.com/Wig-wigs-Cosplay-Party-Silver-White-1M-40-Straight-/270792810795?pt=US_CSA_MWA_Wigs_Extensions&hash=item3f0c82612b#ht_1068wt_1018
Try searching eBay for just "silver wig" look for one with bangs, but it's easy to trim them to be blunt at eyebrow level. And fairly easy to trim the rest of the wig to be the right length and the same blunt edge.
Line up:
-Kageyama (Haikyuu)
-Cordelia (Fire Emblem Awakening)
-Marauder Ashe (League of Legends)
-??? Who knows what else. Probably a cosplay I can wear my glasses with.

Offline Coconutty93

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #914 on: August 04, 2011, 08:02:03 pm »
This one looks pretty fab to me: http://cgi.ebay.com/Wig-wigs-Cosplay-Party-Silver-White-1M-40-Straight-/270792810795?pt=US_CSA_MWA_Wigs_Extensions&hash=item3f0c82612b#ht_1068wt_1018
Try searching eBay for just "silver wig" look for one with bangs, but it's easy to trim them to be blunt at eyebrow level. And fairly easy to trim the rest of the wig to be the right length and the same blunt edge.

THAT ONE IS SO BEAUTIFUL. <3 <3 <3

Offline bunny_jean

• Catgirl
« Reply #915 on: August 04, 2011, 08:22:57 pm »

It is pretty gorgie. :) <3
Line up:
-Kageyama (Haikyuu)

Offline kaylakamikaze

• Cabbit
« Reply #916 on: August 05, 2011, 07:48:04 am »

Wow that wig is amazing!! And not only that its cheap. there was one I was going to get and it was 50 bucks before shipping and it was going to be Plantinum Blonde because of my inability to use a search engine buahahaha
kumoricon 2012

Offline bunny_jean

• Catgirl
« Reply #917 on: August 05, 2011, 08:06:43 am »
Yeah, wig searching skills~ Like I said, that wig would probably need some styling, but it looks amazing. *w*
Line up:
-Kageyama (Haikyuu)

Offline Coconutty93

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #918 on: August 05, 2011, 02:16:35 pm »

Aw man, I wish I was doing Eruka this year, I would buy the heck outta that! But sadly, I must wait until next year. :T

Offline bunny_jean

• Catgirl
« Reply #919 on: August 05, 2011, 02:55:01 pm »

Aw man, I wish I was doing Eruka this year, I would buy the heck outta that! But sadly, I must wait until next year. :T
It's never too early to buy wigs for cosplays you know you will do! ^_^ Otherwise the same wig you saw now might not be available.
Line up:
-Kageyama (Haikyuu)

Offline Coconutty93

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #920 on: August 05, 2011, 03:19:01 pm »

It's never too early to buy wigs for cosplays you know you will do! ^_^ Otherwise the same wig you saw now might not be available.

I know but I've spent all the money I can spend this year on this Kumoricon. I NEED A JOB. JKGSKDJGSKDFJGSKF. >:O

Offline bunny_jean

• Catgirl
« Reply #921 on: August 05, 2011, 03:23:05 pm »
Yeah, having a job is nice. XD
Line up:
-Kageyama (Haikyuu)

Offline pixiepepistar

• Oni
« Reply #922 on: August 05, 2011, 08:46:45 pm »
I have long (almost down to my lower back), dark brown, incredibly thick, curly hair and i need to be able to hide it under a shoulder-length, thin, light pink wig and i have no idea how to do that. And on top of that, it seems to me that it is to small (but i could be wrong). If someone could direct me to perhaps a youtube video showing me how to braid/style my hair so that it will fit under a wig, that would be a huge help c: And also where i could purchase a wig cap would be helpful ^-^
Cosplay for Kumoricon '11:
-FFXIII Lightning
-TWEWY Shiki
-

Offline kaylakamikaze

• Cabbit
« Reply #923 on: August 05, 2011, 09:48:40 pm »
I have long (almost down to my lower back), dark brown, incredibly thick, curly hair and i need to be able to hide it under a shoulder-length, thin, light pink wig and i have no idea how to do that. And on top of that, it seems to me that it is to small (but i could be wrong). If someone could direct me to perhaps a youtube video showing me how to braid/style my hair so that it will fit under a wig, that would be a huge help c: And also where i could purchase a wig cap would be helpful ^-^

http://www.amphigory.com/wig-caps.html

for wig caps ^

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mT72XVvkVE8&feature=related
kumoricon 2012

Offline Tanuki19

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #924 on: August 05, 2011, 11:29:49 pm »
I'm going to be cosplaying Heather Mason next year and I need help finding a good wig for her.
ref pic: http://i1123.photobucket.com/albums/l541/lisztomini/Heather2z.jpg

i found this wig and i was thinking it might work in the light blond color. but i'm not sure :/
http://kingdom-arts.org/Jett.html

Offline VampireFangs103

• Catgirl
« Reply #925 on: August 11, 2011, 02:04:39 pm »
Ok guys~ So I finally got my Edgeworth wig. Here's the problem. I can't style, especially those damn bangs of his. I was thinking of styling it a bit to just give it a more....natural look. So the bangs really wouldn't be sticking up. What do you guys think? Do you think it'd look ok with the costume if the wig looks more "natural", or will I eat **** for it? XD

Offline camname21

• Bunnygirl
    • Deviantart
« Reply #927 on: August 14, 2011, 07:27:32 pm »
Ok guys~ So I finally got my Edgeworth wig. Here's the problem. I can't style, especially those damn bangs of his. I was thinking of styling it a bit to just give it a more....natural look. So the bangs really wouldn't be sticking up. What do you guys think? Do you think it'd look ok with the costume if the wig looks more "natural", or will I eat **** for it? XD

I would much rather you attempt to style it a little bit more.  If it isn't perfect who cares, it will still look more like the character and you will still be loved.  The picture doesn't look like unnatural hair, it has more volume then most people's, but I've seen people do their hair like that with hair products.  I don't know too much about styling but you can try hair spray with something holding it up and it should stay fairly well.

Offline nikkiolie

• It's over nine THOUSAND!!!!!
    • Facebook
« Reply #928 on: August 15, 2011, 12:34:22 am »
I need some advice on my Rikku wig. I got a pony tail clip for it today to finish it up but the color is pretty far off. HOWEVER, in pictures it appears to be the same color (I am going to take some pictures of it in natual light tomorrow to check that as well). I'm not sure if I should use this one or not. I plan on going to a wig shop tomorrow to see if I can find one a little closer but I might not be able to before the con.

Here is the wig from what would be considered a close up shot at con.

I actually tried very hard to get a picture where you could easily see the difference in colors between the base wig and the pony tail and this was the best I got.

The wig is a golden blond where the pony tail is a pale blond with lowlights and highlights through out it. I am going to try to find one that matches better but if I am unable to my question is how does it look? I could dye the ponytail but again I don't think I could get the dye in time for con.

Offline xxxchihiroxxx

• Bunnygirl
    • My deviantart
« Reply #929 on: August 15, 2011, 12:38:47 am »
I think it looks just fine Nikki, I couldnt tell until the close up shot of it. I cant tell since well computers and colors and all that junk. But I cant see a difference of huge magnitude here. It should be fine.
returning with a vengeance to K con~

Offline nikkiolie

• Facebook
« Reply #930 on: August 15, 2011, 12:43:10 am »
Its really nice that in the pictures there isn't a huge difference but seeing it in person it is much easier to see. Though it isn't like it is brown and blond or anything its just different hues.

Offline xxxchihiroxxx

• Bunnygirl
    • My deviantart
« Reply #931 on: August 15, 2011, 12:51:20 am »
I hate to suggest it since I'm not a fan of doing this myself, but sharpie dye it?

Offline nikkiolie

• Facebook
« Reply #932 on: August 15, 2011, 01:19:22 am »
There isn't a sharpie in the shade that I need. However, Katie Blair makes a dye that is perfect I just don't think I would get it in time.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2011, 01:20:49 am by nikkiolie »

Offline xxxchihiroxxx

• Bunnygirl
    • My deviantart
« Reply #933 on: August 15, 2011, 01:49:23 am »
You can mix sharpies and use that as dye... man I cant remember where I put that tutorial... I saw it on 4chan and it seemed to have good results.

maybe go to wigland and make your own clip if you cant find clips in the right shade?

Offline bunny_jean

• Catgirl
« Reply #934 on: August 15, 2011, 08:44:16 am »
I mean, you could try RIT dying it, since RIT really only gives a light tint since it's not made for synthetic fibers. You could get an orange and do a test strand before you do the whole thing. Just be careful not to melt the wig. lol.
Line up:
-Kageyama (Haikyuu)

Offline nikkiolie

• Facebook
« Reply #935 on: August 15, 2011, 11:34:00 pm »
I think I solved the issue. Lizzie showed me a site that has a lot of pony tail clips and there is one that looks like the color will match really well so I ordered it. I should have it at the latest mid week next week but I did get 2-3 days shipping so it just depends on how long processing takes.

Offline xxxchihiroxxx

• Bunnygirl
    • My deviantart
« Reply #936 on: August 15, 2011, 11:35:21 pm »
Nice! Glad that you got things figured out : )

Offline nikkiolie

• Facebook
« Reply #937 on: August 15, 2011, 11:39:47 pm »
I'm hoping it will work at least. It looked like it was the same color on the computer but as you said the colors may appear different and what not. Even if it is off I don't think it will be as far off as the one I have now is.

Offline damselle-xo

• Cabbit
« Reply #938 on: August 19, 2011, 03:24:15 am »
My Euphemia wig needs de-tangling and a good wash, but I'm afraid I'll wreck it because of its waves/curls.
I tried to use de-tangler and comb it out a bit, but it made it worse on the one side so I stopped TT__TT
I believe it's Kanekalon fibers >.<
Best way to go about this?

Here's some  pics of me wearing the wig

Most recent. As you can see, the right side (my left) is more ratty looking and the fail side I worked on *sobs forever*

Back shot ^^

Kumoricon 2011
~Rapunzel - Tangled
~Lolidragon - 1/2 Prince
~Princess Zelda - Ocarina of Time

Maybes
~Euphemia Li Britannia (white artbook gown) - Code Geass
~Winry Rockbell - Full Metal Alchemist
~Misa Amane - Death Note

Offline chelseahavoc

• Bunnygirl
    • Chelseahavoc's DA
« Reply #939 on: August 19, 2011, 12:16:23 pm »
if you take one curl/wave at a time and carefully comb it then qrap that in a curler and heat it up with a curling method (ive used a hair dryer before) it should work, granted it wont look exactly as it did the da you got it but it will look mush better (make sure to look up curing methods first)
kumoicon 2013:
day 0: ANIMAL CROSSING Mayor
day 1: morning- Guu (hare + guu)
day 1: afternoon- Terra (ff6)
day 2: chibi moon (sailor moon)
day 3: Princess Zelda (loz:oot)

Offline jam112383

• Chibi
    • Facebook
« Reply #940 on: August 20, 2011, 11:02:31 pm »
Does anyone know a good cheap site to get wigs? I was in a trade for my two con wigs and sent out my itmes for the trade but never recieved my wigs so now I am scrambling to get my wigs :(
Day Zero - Gothic Lolita
Day One - Maka (Soul Eater) With Scythe and soul eater group
Day Two - Konan with Naruto group
Day Three - To be decided
Day four - Slants groupie

Order of costumes subject to change.

Offline Titus_Love_Doll

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #941 on: August 21, 2011, 01:31:52 pm »
Does anyone know a good cheap site to get wigs? I was in a trade for my two con wigs and sent out my itmes for the trade but never recieved my wigs so now I am scrambling to get my wigs :(

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Popular-Long-Brown-Layered-Wigs-Hair-cosplay-wigs-wig-/290601694242?pt=US_CSA_MWA_Wigs_Extensions&hash=item43a935f422

Offline jam112383

• Chibi
    • Facebook
« Reply #942 on: August 21, 2011, 05:25:38 pm »
Thank you so much!?!!!!
Day Zero - Gothic Lolita

Offline Titus_Love_Doll

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #943 on: August 21, 2011, 07:26:06 pm »
I think that will work for you hun

Offline jam112383

• Chibi
    • Facebook
« Reply #944 on: August 21, 2011, 07:42:46 pm »
It will totally work and I won the bid and it is on its way! YAY!!!!!!
Day Zero - Gothic Lolita

Offline Titus_Love_Doll

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #945 on: August 21, 2011, 07:46:23 pm »
woot

Offline jam112383

• Chibi
    • Facebook
« Reply #946 on: August 21, 2011, 11:12:17 pm »
Ok so two wigs on the way. One will be early enough I can do some minor modifications... How would you recommend I do styling/brushing without ruining it? Second is going to be here day zero so close not enough time lol
Day Zero - Gothic Lolita

Offline Titus_Love_Doll

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #947 on: August 21, 2011, 11:51:03 pm »
Cheepest thing i bought a dog brush the two sided one for my wigs and I LOVE IT. make sure the wigs are handel in their bags if you dont have a wig head thing. brush them atlest once a week and wash them as well. I use alittle soap.. if they are heat risennt witch sometime their not always use very down heat to a point you can touch it. i now laot of other people have others ways but i have a friend who was really bla into her wigs and got mad at me by the way i treated mine so this is how she dose it. trust me i gave me sister 2 wigs and 2 hair pices like clip on pig tails and their runied becuse she dosent keep them in their bags or brush them

Offline Drauska

• Catgirl
« Reply #948 on: August 23, 2011, 01:16:48 pm »
Titus (or anyone)...you mentioned washing the wigs.  I got my wig a couple months ago and I've kept it on a wig styrofoam head under a plastic bag.  I've noticed that it has gone flat.  Would you recommend washing it so soon or can I just fluff it up some.  It's my first wig and i tossed the bag it came in.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2011, 01:23:38 pm by Drauska »

Offline backtoblue

• Cabbit
« Reply #949 on: August 23, 2011, 10:10:04 pm »
So...I'm considering doing Kida from Durarara now, and I have a wig I used last time, but I'm starting to wonder if it's alright.
http://memorys-angel.deviantart.com/art/greco-cato-210353899

Is this too dark for Kida?  if so, what's an easy way to lighten it?  I can't afford a new wig.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2011, 10:11:24 pm by backtoblue »
Con plans-
Sat: Okumura Rin(Ao no Exorcist)
Sun: Teuton Prussia(Hetalia)
Mon: Greece(Hetalia) or Rin(AnE)