Author Topic: Official Wig Help Thread  (Read 650369 times)

Offline Gryffinclaw Princess

• Bunnygirl
    • Facebook - Just tell me your Screenname
Re: Official Wig Help Thread
« Reply #600 on: October 27, 2010, 11:26:25 pm »
Nothing I am doing for my Misty wig is working...
No matter what, it goes darker than the base wig. :/

I guess I really am going to have to spray the whole wig (Which I really wanted to avoid) with hair spray to make it all one color.

That is...unless anyone else has any ideas...?

Wit Beyond Measure is Man's Greatest Treasure

Offline fleur_fraise

• Bunnygirl
    • ka-san
« Reply #601 on: October 31, 2010, 10:20:59 am »
Isn't Misty's hair spiky? Hairspraying the whole thing will look a lot better.
Current Kcon Plans:
-Ringo Oginome
-Anarchy Stocking
-Roxy Richter

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #602 on: October 31, 2010, 12:19:23 pm »
We already went over that... -.-
I want to avoid having to spray the whole thing because I dont like how hard and immobile the wig becomes. I would like to be able to avoid doing any spraying on the base so I can still have it flow like normal hair.

Plus, since I tried to redo the pony tail like I was recommended to not change the color, I cant get it back to the original style I had it and it is pissing me off to no end.
You guys might want it perfect but you all might have to deal because I am about ready to throw this thing out a window.

Offline Washougal_Otaku

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #603 on: October 31, 2010, 08:20:36 pm »
Hey, I've got an interesting question regarding one of my cosplay goals...

I'm about 5' 7", looking at going as Lina Inverse from The Slayers.  How long of a wig should I look for?  I'm thinking a 36" would be about right, but a 48" might also work, especially if the style I go with is more OVA based.

What do you guys think?
My cosplay plans for 2022 (thus far): Vanir from Konosuba
My son's plans this year (thus far): Penguin Chiyo-chan from Azumanga Daioh

Offline fleur_fraise

• Bunnygirl
    • ka-san
« Reply #604 on: November 01, 2010, 05:51:51 pm »
I want to avoid having to spray the whole thing because I dont like how hard and immobile the wig becomes. I would like to be able to avoid doing any spraying on the base so I can still have it flow like normal hair.

Plus, since I tried to redo the pony tail like I was recommended to not change the color, I cant get it back to the original style I had it and it is pissing me off to no end.
You guys might want it perfect but you all might have to deal because I am about ready to throw this thing out a window.
Well I'm sorry that you don't want to be accurate |:

If you're having this much trouble I'd suggest you sell the wig and buy another one and use what you've learned on it. I know Arda Wigs has wigs that are excellent for styling and are heat resistant. They're also fairly inexpensive.
Current Kcon Plans:
-Ringo Oginome
-Anarchy Stocking
-Roxy Richter

Offline Washougal_Otaku

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #605 on: November 01, 2010, 09:49:26 pm »

I'm about 5' 7", looking at going as Lina Inverse from The Slayers.  How long of a wig should I look for?  I'm thinking a 36" would be about right, but a 48" might also work, especially if the style I go with is more OVA based.

What do you guys think?

...anyone?

Offline nyahaha

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #606 on: November 01, 2010, 09:59:32 pm »

What do you guys think?

...anyone?
you should give it some more time. There has been one other post since your question. patience is key
check out my facebook page!! www.facebook.com/macnleecosplay

Offline Washougal_Otaku

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #607 on: November 01, 2010, 10:03:12 pm »
Patience?  But I'm not a doctor...

« Last Edit: November 01, 2010, 10:07:30 pm by Washougal_Otaku »

Offline nyahaha

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #608 on: November 01, 2010, 10:07:18 pm »
so very funny...I'm serious. People arent gonna like you if you are posting every other post askin the same question.

Offline Washougal_Otaku

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #609 on: November 01, 2010, 10:20:42 pm »
People aren't going to like you if you're going out of your way just to be obnoxious, either.  Simply put, contribute, or shut up.  You have no place to talk down to people here, so I'd advise you to play nice.

Offline steelychan

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #610 on: November 01, 2010, 10:23:56 pm »
alrighty, im actually going to answer the question. it really depends on how long your torso is and how long the wig is supposed to go on your body. im assuming its supposed to go to your midback or to your butt? a picture of the character would be helpful.
Kumoricon 2011 cosplays:
Day0: Hunny (Ouran Host Club) COMPLETE
Day1 (possibly late night panels): Ran Mao (Black Butler) 50%
Day2: Kaoru Hitachin (Ouran Host Club) 90%
Ball/Rave: May (pokemon)
Day3: pirate

Offline nyahaha

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #611 on: November 01, 2010, 10:24:19 pm »
oh I do play nice. I never directly hurt anyone. Anything that anyone says can be taken in any way. I don't go out of my way, but I really wish others wouldn't.

And as for contributing to this thread. I do plenty. You sure didn't help on that post you did with the picture.

I'm sorry i don't know what character that is, but if you are going for a longer wig, make sure is is a good quality one so its easier to brush out and wont get as tangled.

there happy?

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #612 on: November 01, 2010, 10:44:04 pm »

If you're having this much trouble I'd suggest you sell the wig and buy another one and use what you've learned on it. I know Arda Wigs has wigs that are excellent for styling and are heat resistant. They're also fairly inexpensive.

Well, I'm sorry you seem to expect to want everyone to be a perfectionist.
If you are so keen on accuracy then why don't you go round up all the fat people and tell them they can't cosplay cause anime characters are mostly skinny?
Cosplay isn't all about accuracy and pleasing others on how well they expect you to have something done. It's about having fun and portraying a character to the best of your ability in the area of which you are comfortable and willing.

I asked people hoping for some feedback on how to be accurate and keep the base wig color, the reason I bought that specific wig. People gave me feedback and I tried it but it didn't work so I was looking for more, new ideas. I didn't come here to be attacked for not being perfect in someone else's eyes.

Offline nyahaha

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #613 on: November 01, 2010, 10:47:28 pm »
we just felt hurt that you called us perfectionists when we tried to help you. thats all

Offline Washougal_Otaku

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #614 on: November 01, 2010, 10:49:29 pm »
@nyahaha - Not really, but I your efforts.

@steely - Well, if I go with how her hair was primarily in the series rather than the anime, it can be anywhere from half-way down her back to about her butt.

In the OVA's, it can be anywhere from her very-lower-back/upper-butt area.  (Can't find a really good image).
As for my torso, how would I measure that?

Offline nyahaha

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #615 on: November 01, 2010, 10:51:08 pm »
I think torsos are measured from the base of your neck till about where you would wear low rise jeans (at least thats where I would measure. not totally sure though)

Offline Washougal_Otaku

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #616 on: November 01, 2010, 10:58:00 pm »
Okay, base of neck to,... what?  Where would one wear low rise jeans?

Offline nyahaha

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #617 on: November 01, 2010, 11:04:42 pm »
its like where the underwear line is. ummm...oh! here i found an example.
http://www.moontrail.com/details/clipart/meausre-iliac-backtape.jpg

Offline Washougal_Otaku

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #618 on: November 01, 2010, 11:23:55 pm »
Ah, okay.  That helps mucho!!!  Arigato gozaimasu, nyahaha-chan!!!

Offline nyahaha

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #619 on: November 01, 2010, 11:43:39 pm »
No prob~

Offline fleur_fraise

• Bunnygirl
    • ka-san
« Reply #620 on: November 02, 2010, 06:29:46 am »

Well, I'm sorry you seem to expect to want everyone to be a perfectionist.
If you are so keen on accuracy then why don't you go round up all the fat people and tell them they can't cosplay cause anime characters are mostly skinny?
Cosplay isn't all about accuracy and pleasing others on how well they expect you to have something done. It's about having fun and portraying a character to the best of your ability in the area of which you are comfortable and willing.

I asked people hoping for some feedback on how to be accurate and keep the base wig color, the reason I bought that specific wig. People gave me feedback and I tried it but it didn't work so I was looking for more, new ideas. I didn't come here to be attacked for not being perfect in someone else's eyes.
People don't ask for advice and then bitch when you get it. Having an accurate wig =/= being fat, trust me. I am fat, too fat for pretty much all of the characters I cosplay. So I try to make my costumes extra amazing to make up for me being too lazy/busy to lose weight, but I know that even a poorly made costume on a skinny person will look better than a highly accurate costume on me.

Trust me when I say the wig can make the costume. When you ask "how do I make this accurate," don't complain when people try to help you be accurate.

I don't know what the deal with your wig is, but I don't know how you want us to help if you complain every time we help you. There's no magic answer, there's only these options:
-Leave it
-Hairspray it all
-Buy a new wig
-Don't cosplay Misty

Take your pick, beggars can't be choosers.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2010, 06:48:41 am by fleur_fraise »
Current Kcon Plans:
-Ringo Oginome
-Anarchy Stocking
-Roxy Richter

Offline Wrath-Chan19

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #621 on: November 02, 2010, 11:26:25 am »
Ok so I have a Gakupo Kamui wig and I've only worn it tree times but it's really tangely and I've tried combing it out but it isn't helping. Is there other way to help my poor wig?
I rarely get on here anymore, if you want to chat hit me up on Cosplay.com. I my username is Loveable-Eve

Offline Washougal_Otaku

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #622 on: November 02, 2010, 11:53:07 am »
http://www.smarter.com/se--qq-wig%2Bdetangler.html

I typed in "wig detangler" at yahoo.com and went to the first link.  The price range here is from $3.49 to $12.95.  This will at least give you an idea on what to look for, if you'd prefer going to stores.

You might also want to ask around at a nearby beauty salon.  They use wigs for beginning students, so I'm sure that some of them would have recommendations on what to look for.

(I need to get some for my wigs, too).

Offline nyahaha

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #623 on: November 02, 2010, 03:44:59 pm »
I've heard that Mane 'n Tail works on wigs for detangling (its a horse grooming product xD) but I have never tried it and I saw it mentioned like twice.

Offline fleur_fraise

• Bunnygirl
    • ka-san
« Reply #624 on: November 02, 2010, 03:47:25 pm »
Ok so I have a Gakupo Kamui wig and I've only worn it tree times but it's really tangely and I've tried combing it out but it isn't helping. Is there other way to help my poor wig?
Like I mentioned in another post, I've heard ethnic hairspray works. I think Rite Aid has it? Also try washing it first. The tutorial I had saved has been deleted, but basically you comb out your wig in lukewarm water and rub baby shampoo into bad knots.

And I have my own question:
I'm going to be cosplaying Mugi soon, and I have two wig options.
one two
The first one is from cosplaywig. I'd buy it in a heartbeat, since it's a better color and a better price, even if I have to add the waves to it myself. However, I have a huge head. Does anyone know how stretchy their wigs are? Also, do the fibers tangle too easily? Long wigs annoy me a lot of the time.
See, the second one, from EpicCosplay, I know will not tangle. However, it's a bit too curly, too light, and it's expensive. I'm also curious of this one fits big heads.

With shipping added, the cosplaywig one is only slightly cheaper, but hnnng dat color... Suggestions?
Current Kcon Plans:
-Ringo Oginome
-Anarchy Stocking
-Roxy Richter

Offline meep

• Bunnygirl
    • blog
« Reply #625 on: November 02, 2010, 04:02:27 pm »
Like I mentioned in another post, I've heard ethnic hairspray works. I think Rite Aid has it? Also try washing it first. The tutorial I had saved has been deleted, but basically you comb out your wig in lukewarm water and rub baby shampoo into bad knots.

And I have my own question:
I'm going to be cosplaying Mugi soon, and I have two wig options.
one two
The first one is from cosplaywig. I'd buy it in a heartbeat, since it's a better color and a better price, even if I have to add the waves to it myself. However, I have a huge head. Does anyone know how stretchy their wigs are? Also, do the fibers tangle too easily? Long wigs annoy me a lot of the time.
See, the second one, from EpicCosplay, I know will not tangle. However, it's a bit too curly, too light, and it's expensive. I'm also curious of this one fits big heads.

With shipping added, the cosplaywig one is only slightly cheaper, but hnnng dat color... Suggestions?

I was VERY satisfied with my epiccosplay wigs. TOTALLY WORTH THE MONEY.
Although I think the best bet is to get a straight wig in the same color then style it with a curling iron :> Then you can achieve exactly what you want.

Offline fleur_fraise

• Bunnygirl
    • ka-san
« Reply #626 on: November 02, 2010, 04:05:47 pm »
Hey Cristina how much was shipping for you?

Because I found a wig that I think will work, but $55 oh god
Current Kcon Plans:
-Ringo Oginome
-Anarchy Stocking
-Roxy Richter

Offline Malaria

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #627 on: November 02, 2010, 04:08:46 pm »
I dunno about the size of the wig net for cosplaywig, but I do know Arda Wigs uses extra large wig caps. The wig closest to what you need looks like the Le Tigre, though that might be a little shorter than you want, since it's only 35".
Kumoricon 2012:
Who even knows, man

Offline Washougal_Otaku

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #628 on: November 02, 2010, 05:10:21 pm »
I've heard that Mane 'n Tail works on wigs for detangling (its a horse grooming product xD) but I have never tried it and I saw it mentioned like twice.

I've never heard that before, but I could see it working.  I've heard one of my aunts talk praises about that stuff for her horses.

Offline meep

• Bunnygirl
    • blog
« Reply #629 on: November 02, 2010, 05:11:29 pm »
Hey Cristina how much was shipping for you?

Because I found a wig that I think will work, but $55 oh god
shipping was only around 3 bucks... which isnt that bad owo

Offline nyahaha

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #630 on: November 02, 2010, 05:19:41 pm »

I've never heard that before, but I could see it working.  I've heard one of my aunts talk praises about that stuff for her horses.
yeah that stuff is amazing on horses, and people hair too. Also I saw a tutorial somewhere about something you can do to your wig to help prevent tangles, but I can't find it. D: But it does exist! somewhere xD

@Katie. I can't see the wigs cause my computer is being stupid, but i agree that if you got a straight wig then styled it it would be better. Also, you should tell me before you order from there. I need a DWC miku wig from them.

Offline Washougal_Otaku

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #631 on: November 02, 2010, 05:26:54 pm »

yeah that stuff is amazing on horses, and people hair too. Also I saw a tutorial somewhere about something you can do to your wig to help prevent tangles, but I can't find it. D: But it does exist! somewhere xD

@Katie. I can't see the wigs cause my computer is being stupid, but i agree that if you got a straight wig then styled it it would be better. Also, you should tell me before you order from there. I need a DWC miku wig from them.

You know?  I live about 6 blocks away from a feed store.  I wonder if they have any Mane & Tail...

Offline nyahaha

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #632 on: November 02, 2010, 06:08:19 pm »
^they probably would. I'm pretty sure the feed stores around my area carry grooming supplies as well. So you have a good chance of it being there. And if not, the workers there would know where to get some.

Offline Washougal_Otaku

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #633 on: November 02, 2010, 06:35:13 pm »
^ I suppose they'd possibly have a way to order it, too.  If all else fails with them, I know of another one that I'm sure would have it; they're a lot bigger at this other one.  I could also ask my aunt to get some for me.  There's a place that's in Clark County that she goes to, but is nowhere near a busline.  I has mucho options... mwahahahaha :D

Offline fleur_fraise

• Bunnygirl
    • ka-san
« Reply #634 on: November 02, 2010, 06:43:18 pm »
I dunno about the size of the wig net for cosplaywig, but I do know Arda Wigs uses extra large wig caps. The wig closest to what you need looks like the Le Tigre, though that might be a little shorter than you want, since it's only 35".
Hahaha Arda is my go-to wig place, but oh my god their long wigs tangle SO badly. I have a shoulder-length one that was impossibly tangled after a day of wear. I also have a Le Tigre in their old fiber, it tangles any time I move and the fibers come out everywhere.
...Also idk if they have the right color.
Current Kcon Plans:
-Ringo Oginome
-Anarchy Stocking
-Roxy Richter

Offline kit2kit

• Catgirl
    • Tumblr
« Reply #635 on: November 03, 2010, 07:21:22 am »
Has anyone been to Wigland in Portland?
What is it like there?
'16 Cosplay
Suzuya (Tokyo Ghoul) // Magic!Betty (Adventure Time)

Offline fleur_fraise

• Bunnygirl
    • ka-san
« Reply #636 on: November 03, 2010, 07:24:46 am »
Wigland is pretty cool, but they have almost entirely normal-colored wigs. I think there's like one rack in the back corner of unnaturally colored wigs.
Also, Skylar, here's the Bernkastel wig I was telling you about:
here
Current Kcon Plans:
-Ringo Oginome
-Anarchy Stocking
-Roxy Richter

Offline Washougal_Otaku

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #637 on: November 03, 2010, 12:39:17 pm »
They had a few in the front the few times I went there, too.

Oh, also, if you specify that your wig is for cosplay purposes, they'll give you a 10% discount!

Offline Wrath-Chan19

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #638 on: November 03, 2010, 01:47:38 pm »
http://www.smarter.com/se--qq-wig%2Bdetangler.html

I typed in "wig detangler" at yahoo.com and went to the first link.  The price range here is from $3.49 to $12.95.  This will at least give you an idea on what to look for, if you'd prefer going to stores.

You might also want to ask around at a nearby beauty salon.  They use wigs for beginning students, so I'm sure that some of them would have recommendations on what to look for.

(I need to get some for my wigs, too).
Ok I'll go see what is available  around me!
I rarely get on here anymore, if you want to chat hit me up on Cosplay.com. I my username is Loveable-Eve

Offline kit2kit

• Catgirl
    • Tumblr
« Reply #639 on: November 03, 2010, 05:29:35 pm »
Wigland is pretty cool, but they have almost entirely normal-colored wigs. I think there's like one rack in the back corner of unnaturally colored wigs.
here

Oh ok. Maybe Ill take a trip down there to check it out. Do you know about the prices. The internet gives me no information other than "affordable"

bsjcbalij. That wig is so gorgeous. I want it DDD:

@Washougal_Otaku: I heard about that. How do you specify that though?
« Last Edit: November 03, 2010, 05:34:15 pm by kit2kit »
'16 Cosplay
Suzuya (Tokyo Ghoul) // Magic!Betty (Adventure Time)

Offline fleur_fraise

• Bunnygirl
    • ka-san
« Reply #640 on: November 03, 2010, 05:45:09 pm »
here

Oh ok. Maybe Ill take a trip down there to check it out. Do you know about the prices. The internet gives me no information other than "affordable"

bsjcbalij. That wig is so gorgeous. I want it DDD:

@Washougal_Otaku: I heard about that. How do you specify that though?
Isn't it? If it's too expensive I'm sure Haley and I can help pitch in for your birthday ;D

Also for Wigland I assume you just tell them you're a cosplayer, although they probably ask why you're buying the wig anyways.
Current Kcon Plans:
-Ringo Oginome
-Anarchy Stocking
-Roxy Richter

Offline tofutakeout

• Bunnygirl
    • Deviantart
« Reply #641 on: November 03, 2010, 06:20:55 pm »
I'm having major wig troubles.

http://i94.photobucket.com/albums/l103/tiasheng/cosplay/Ruffnut.jpg
http://images.allmoviephoto.com/2010_How_to_Train_Your_Dragon/2010_how_to_train_your_dragon_031.jpg
http://www.poptower.com/pic-23533/how-to-train-your-dragon-movie.jpg?w=600&h=600

The secret about this girls hair is that she has a third braid in the back. @_@ (So. Much. Hair.) You can kind of see it in the last two pics. I need to know how to thicken a wig or a good way to attach an extra piece in the back but keep it looking natural(because the helmet doesn't cover it completely).

A method that I had maybe thought of was stuffing the braids with packing peanuts to make them look fuller, but really I have no idea. I'd reeeaaally love some help. ;AAAA;
da/tumblr
Pull the trigger, pull the trigger, pull the trigger. BOOM

Offline meep

• Bunnygirl
    • blog
« Reply #642 on: November 03, 2010, 07:47:49 pm »
I'm having major wig troubles.

http://i94.photobucket.com/albums/l103/tiasheng/cosplay/Ruffnut.jpg
http://images.allmoviephoto.com/2010_How_to_Train_Your_Dragon/2010_how_to_train_your_dragon_031.jpg
http://www.poptower.com/pic-23533/how-to-train-your-dragon-movie.jpg?w=600&h=600

The secret about this girls hair is that she has a third braid in the back. @_@ (So. Much. Hair.) You can kind of see it in the last two pics. I need to know how to thicken a wig or a good way to attach an extra piece in the back but keep it looking natural(because the helmet doesn't cover it completely).

A method that I had maybe thought of was stuffing the braids with packing peanuts to make them look fuller, but really I have no idea. I'd reeeaaally love some help. ;AAAA;
BUY AN EPICCOSPLAY WIG. SO VOLUME-OUS. THE ANSWER TO ALL FO YOUR PROBLEMOS..

Offline soundninja12

• Bunnygirl
    • ILOVEYOUGUYSSOMUCH
« Reply #643 on: November 03, 2010, 07:56:25 pm »
^ meep actually has a good point :D

GUYS.
FANG.
HELP.
PLEASE. D':
Next con: Kumoricon
Make sure to pop in to the Tiptoe Through the TARDIS panel this year.
It is going to be...

Offline tofutakeout

• Bunnygirl
    • Deviantart
« Reply #644 on: November 03, 2010, 08:10:20 pm »
epiccosplay....is a brand/store?

If so I just tried looking it up but I'm not getting very good results. And I don't know where to look either for thick wigs. ;A;
da/tumblr

Offline fleur_fraise

• Bunnygirl
    • ka-san
« Reply #645 on: November 03, 2010, 08:20:23 pm »
Current Kcon Plans:
-Ringo Oginome
-Anarchy Stocking
-Roxy Richter

Offline LtCommanderRichie

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #646 on: November 03, 2010, 08:24:26 pm »
If your wig isn't voluminous enough, figure out the wig color number and buy wefts hardcore. Sew them in, then maybe make the braids around pieces of foamcore. That would give you both volume and form for the admittedly very odd hair she has.

Offline Washougal_Otaku

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #647 on: November 03, 2010, 08:25:59 pm »
^ meep actually has a good point :D

GUYS.
FANG.
HELP.
PLEASE. D':

...um, what kind of help are you asking for?

Offline camname21

• Bunnygirl
    • Deviantart
« Reply #648 on: November 03, 2010, 08:27:56 pm »
If your wig isn't voluminous enough, figure out the wig color number and buy wefts hardcore. Sew them in, then maybe make the braids around pieces of foamcore. That would give you both volume and form for the admittedly very odd hair she has.
O.O that's good wig advice  ^^

Offline tofutakeout

• Bunnygirl
    • Deviantart
« Reply #649 on: November 04, 2010, 12:46:07 am »
Thanks so much guys. I'll buy a wig from them, they have a pretty nice selection. I'm a little afraid to sew in wefts though. @_@ Thanks again though.
da/tumblr