Author Topic: Official Wig Help Thread  (Read 564218 times)

oslapedo

Re: Official Wig Help Thread
« Reply #300 on: September 14, 2009, 04:19:37 pm »
Hohoho, well I had to at least try it. Lesson learned :D

And yeah Shay, Halloween store wigs are a no-no.

Offline xxxchihiroxxx

• Bunnygirl
    • My deviantart
« Reply #301 on: September 14, 2009, 04:21:43 pm »
ok, peach wig. the things getting a bit messy...

any advice on combing a wavy/curly wig with out ruining its shape? D:
returning with a vengeance to K con~

Offline LtCommanderRichie

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #302 on: September 14, 2009, 05:06:05 pm »
You can comb it all you want and the curls won't come out since the fibers are pressed to stay that shape. You'll only have a problem if you pour boiling water over the wig first.

And don't pull too hard or you'll pull fibers out.

Offline nikkiolie

• It's over nine THOUSAND!!!!!
    • Facebook
« Reply #303 on: September 14, 2009, 05:08:20 pm »
So people think I should keep it more silvery instead of dying it more purple again?

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #304 on: September 14, 2009, 05:18:09 pm »
From what I've seen, isn't Kuja's hair supposed to be silver anyway?

Offline nikkiolie

• Facebook
« Reply #305 on: September 14, 2009, 05:21:26 pm »
Well there is a purple tint, I think I got it too much when I first dyed it. I think I will keep it like this.

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #306 on: September 14, 2009, 05:31:16 pm »
Cool!

Now, my fellow DOGS readers/watchers, I have a conundrum. My Bishop wig.

I know I'm getting an Ivy, because those are amazingly awesome wigs and I have yet to have a problem with one. My question is, Bleach Blond (613) or Butterscotch Blond (24B/25) for a color? I'm leaning towards Butterscotch Blond.

D: I'm too lazy to find references that include his hair because all my references are for his coat.

Edit: The color swatch page for the Ivy
« Last Edit: September 14, 2009, 05:34:21 pm by LtCommanderRichie »

Offline xxxchihiroxxx

• Bunnygirl
    • My deviantart
« Reply #307 on: September 14, 2009, 08:59:11 pm »
for reference, DO NOT BUY FROM ONLYWIG

they scam by using pics from professional only and instead give you crap rip offs that look like you got them at the Halloween store.

Offline nikkiolie

• Facebook
« Reply #308 on: September 14, 2009, 09:57:45 pm »
can I see a picture of the wig you ordered and the one you got?

Offline camname21

• Bunnygirl
    • Deviantart
« Reply #309 on: September 16, 2009, 12:47:10 am »
lol @ people who are calling Envy a girl.

Wait not a girl?  I only heard the dub'd shows so no sound reference but I thought he was just a flat chested, angry at everything girl XD 

And nikkiolie, the wig looks okay as is, any further and it wont have enough purple in it imo.

Offline nikkiolie

• Facebook
« Reply #310 on: September 16, 2009, 11:18:26 am »
Yeah Envy is totally a male >_>

And good to know. I am going to leave it the way it is. Now I just want my red wig so I can put the feathers in that one and try it out :3

oslapedo

« Reply #311 on: September 16, 2009, 11:25:50 am »
@ Richie, Both of those colors look pretty good for Bishop but I think I'm leaning towards Bleach Blonde. His hair is really light~

Offline nikkiolie

• Facebook
« Reply #312 on: September 16, 2009, 02:51:32 pm »
Oh there is some spray that you can keep a wig straighten. This was something I found on cosplay.com Here is the spray.

http://www.hardwareworld.com/3-IN-1-Silicone-Spray-Lubricant-11-Oz-Spray-p9W79PM.aspx

And the instructions here http://www.cosplay.com/showthread.php?t=185958 It looks like the wig stays slick and might not be able to hold hair spray after that but if you have a long straight wig it should work great! I am going to try it out on both my Kuja wigs.

Offline nekovamp13

• DeviantART
« Reply #313 on: September 16, 2009, 04:06:24 pm »
Yeah Envy is totally a male >_>
Course, that's what they said about Kuja too...

Anywho, still wanting some ideas for Styling Envy's hair...Please!
~Sakuracon/Kumoricon 2014~
King Candy (Sugar Rush)
Dot (Animaniacs)
Ice King (Adventure Time)
Beetlejuice (Animated Series)
Cosmo (FOP)
Octodad (Octodad)

https://www.facebook.com/smilingmooncosplay

Offline xxxchihiroxxx

• Bunnygirl
    • My deviantart
« Reply #314 on: September 19, 2009, 06:16:26 pm »
Nikki: I 'll try to get some pics of the wig soon, my cameras being bitchy.

Offline RozenMaiden_Girl

• Bunnygirl
    • My Deviantart
« Reply #315 on: September 19, 2009, 06:33:39 pm »
Any one know were I can get a wig like this?
Lolita and "lolita cosplay" are not the same thing, and ever will be. Period.

Offline xxxchihiroxxx

• Bunnygirl
    • My deviantart
« Reply #316 on: September 19, 2009, 06:38:02 pm »
that sa pretty easy wig, youll have to braid it yourself but thats not to hard. I suggest ebay. Get one thats longer than what you want it to be when you braid it though, since braiding takes a few inchs of the length.

Offline Felix

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #317 on: September 19, 2009, 07:05:34 pm »
How do you transport/store wigs without messing them up?
Done: Blue Spirit (A:tLA), Sollux Captor (HS)
will do: Yukio (AnE), Robin (YJ), genderbent Nilus (MAOH), Dave and Signless (Homestuck); other things I'm forgetting

Offline xxxchihiroxxx

• Bunnygirl
    • My deviantart
« Reply #318 on: September 19, 2009, 07:22:33 pm »
depends.

if their styled, then wig head, put a pin in the middle so it will stay there. put them on a shelf or something where their out of reach of little siblings/pets . for transport i would recomend taping the heads to a board or something flat and putting them on top of any other luggage so their not squished.

if their flat ish and dont really have much that you would  need to re style if it got hurt, then if you still have the net they come in put it back in there, or a baggy works to. when you take them out again just fluff em up and finger comb a bit.

Offline nyahaha

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #319 on: September 19, 2009, 08:08:20 pm »
I store my styled ones on a wig head on a shelf in my closet. The not so styled ones are folded up, and curently on my floor, but I try to keep them in my closet. Long haired ones, I think you are supposed to put them on a wig head, then wrap it around the neck or something like that.

As for transport, I had mine on the wigheads, inside of paper bags. Each one got their own, and I set them ontop of everything in the car so they don't get squished.
check out my facebook page!! www.facebook.com/macnleecosplay

Offline RozenMaiden_Girl

• Bunnygirl
    • My Deviantart
« Reply #320 on: September 19, 2009, 08:24:18 pm »
that sa pretty easy wig, youll have to braid it yourself but thats not to hard. I suggest ebay. Get one thats longer than what you want it to be when you braid it though, since braiding takes a few inchs of the length.
Thats what I thought, but its like liered in the front. Or something like that.

see what I meen?
Lolita and "lolita cosplay" are not the same thing, and ever will be. Period.

Offline AllyKat

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #321 on: September 19, 2009, 08:31:42 pm »
Alright I already saw someone post about this but I'm wondering if anyone has any insight for
me as well on the topic of Sakura Kinomoto (Card Captor Sakura)

I'll be cosplaying this version:

So what I need to know is, what length of wig should I start with or are there
wigs that might have that kind of dual bang length I need for the ones that are
a tad longer... or should I just mold it from a short brown wig with bangs and
find some type of hair glue/sculptor to mold the sides up enough to work as that
depth of hair to frame the face.

Also, I have bellow the shoulder blade long THICK brown hair, which I do not wish
to cut... I may be getting a perm and dying my hair red in the comming months
and my question is: With the GREAT DEAL of hair I have, will a wig cap be enough to
keep it from causing bumps and wig sliding off my head? Are there any tricks for
gals with lots of hair besides lopping it off?

Also... my first year at K-con was this last year (2009) and on short notice I came
up with a Heather Mason costume including wig... the wig was HIDEOUS but it
did the job... I'm trying to figure out what kind of styling I'd have to do to a short
(think bob length) wig to give it that feathered, scraggly chop look that was popular
in the early 00's? Look to my avatar for a guide on how Heather's hair should look.
It is WAY multi layered and I'm just not sure how to pull that off without either making
the wig too thin or trial by error botching several wigs.... has anyone ever found a
wig that looked quite like that?

~Allykat

2009 - Attendee
2010 - Facilities Liaison
2011 - Director of Publicity
2012 - Director of Publicity
2013 - Facilities Liaison
2014 - Vice Chair

Offline xxxchihiroxxx

• Bunnygirl
    • My deviantart
« Reply #322 on: September 19, 2009, 08:52:21 pm »
rozen: i see what you mean to a degree, but with that type of layering you could probably cut it yourself, it wouldnt be that hard, cut the front parts then part it so that the long part of the wig goes in the back.

allykat: oh yeah your gonna have to go with a longer wig then cut it.

with the way sakuras hair goes your not going to get it to look like in that pic where it kinda goes up really hi for the bangs xD but you can get pretty close : o i recommend a shoulder length light brown wig, and get some good wig scissors and cut it till you get about the right length you want. or what you might be able to do is get a short wig, and get some extensions to clip in.

and as to if your hair should get in the way it probably wont. i have a friend with really long hair and she gets it in a wig cap no problem. if you dont have a cap i recommend getting one. wig stores have them or you can cut your own out of panty hose. just remember that bobby pins are your friends <3

and finnaly as to your last wig question, just a generraly short blonde wig should do, their on ebay, your again not going to get that exact look but thats because anime/video game physics dont translate completley into real life.

Offline AllyKat

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #323 on: September 19, 2009, 09:04:19 pm »
allykat: oh yeah your gonna have to go with a longer wig then cut it.

with the way sakuras hair goes your not going to get it to look like in that pic where it kinda goes up really hi for the bangs xD but you can get pretty close : o i recommend a shoulder length light brown wig, and get some good wig scissors and cut it till you get about the right length you want. or what you might be able to do is get a short wig, and get some extensions to clip in.

and as to if your hair should get in the way it probably wont. i have a friend with really long hair and she gets it in a wig cap no problem. if you dont have a cap i recommend getting one. wig stores have them or you can cut your own out of panty hose. just remember that bobby pins are your friends <3

and finnaly as to your last wig question, just a generraly short blonde wig should do, their on ebay, your again not going to get that exact look but thats because anime/video game physics dont translate completley into real life.

Thank you thank you thank you soooo much! I really appreciate the insight! It really helps to have people who have
worked with wigs before guiding you through the proccess... honestly I would prolly end up looking wretched this
year if this thread weren't here! Thank you! I'll prolly check back in with progress reports on my wigs (I'll actually have
about 5 wigs I'll be doing for the Convention... each requiring a different bit of finess... but I want to get these
basic cosplay costumes set up and ready so that I have a good starting wardrobe for many years to come!

~Allykat
2009 - Attendee
2014 - Vice Chair

Offline xxxchihiroxxx

• Bunnygirl
    • My deviantart
« Reply #324 on: September 19, 2009, 09:48:54 pm »
xD im not the greatist with wigs but ive picked a bit of info up after a year or so browsing the net for advice myself :3

where do you buy your wigs? Ebay is always your best bet. Its FILLED with diffrent sellers. a few may try to gip you but if you ask about a sellers name on here or something im pretty sure some one will be able to give you feed back on said wig.

Offline AllyKat

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #325 on: September 19, 2009, 09:54:31 pm »
xD im not the greatist with wigs but ive picked a bit of info up after a year or so browsing the net for advice myself :3

where do you buy your wigs? Ebay is always your best bet. Its FILLED with diffrent sellers. a few may try to gip you but if you ask about a sellers name on here or something im pretty sure some one will be able to give you feed back on said wig.

Due to my suspicious nature and my Theater background, I have to by my wigs in person at a wig shop...
even if it costs more I prefer it to buying online where I have no clue the condition, plus the ladies at the wig
shop in salem over by Mcgraffs Fish-house tend to be VERY helpful when it comes to wig care and mait.

They let me try everything on in person and give me tips on style and care and I am hopeful that if I bring in
a picture for these wigs they may be able to help me, though, since they normally due wigs for theater and not
specific gravity defying cosplay... I felt regular cosplayers might have the know-how for that kind of thing.

~Allykat
2009 - Attendee
2014 - Vice Chair

Offline Felix

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #326 on: September 19, 2009, 10:03:52 pm »
Thanks!

Personally, I wouldn't trust the internet, either - I would only use it as a last resort.
Done: Blue Spirit (A:tLA), Sollux Captor (HS)
will do: Yukio (AnE), Robin (YJ), genderbent Nilus (MAOH), Dave and Signless (Homestuck); other things I'm forgetting

Offline xxxchihiroxxx

• Bunnygirl
    • My deviantart
« Reply #327 on: September 19, 2009, 10:07:52 pm »
ah I see xD I get where your coming from I'm usually pretty cautions :3 i try to only buy from places that friends have bought from.

though sometimes if your going for that really odd color (like a dark pink or a green or maybe teal) ebay is your only choice... x_x theres only one wig store here in portland that i know of, and they sell all natrual color wigs except for a small selection of bob like wigs that come in five abnormal colors...

Felix: the interents not all bad : o one of my best wigs is from the net, ive only bought real life twice. and i dont really wear either of those wigs anymore because well their actually not the greatest but it was all the store had.

honestly even if you dont trust ebay there are a few sellers like cosworkx that sell wigs meant just for cosplay, and I know enough people that have bought from them to trust them (a lot of the cosplay.com community)

i usually go to the net first when wig shopping. but again thats probably due to not the greatest wig stores in portland.

Offline AllyKat

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #328 on: September 19, 2009, 10:20:11 pm »

honestly even if you dont trust ebay there are a few sellers like cosworkx that sell wigs meant just for cosplay, and I know enough people that have bought from them to trust them (a lot of the cosplay.com community)

Thats probably what I'll have to do for my Shuichi Wig (Gravitation) and I'm okay with that. Most of my wigs however
will be natural color wigs and working with a wig-maker is my first choice. These ladies have custom ordered
wigs for me before (when I had shorter hair though.... highschool was great!) so I trust them with my head
over anything else.

For instance; playing alice in highschool was an expedition in the limits of hair dye and bleach. Apparently once your
hair has been dyed any color red it must be grown out and chopped off if you plan on dying your hair blonde because
RED dye specifically does not really come out of hair. You might get close to blonde but only if your lucky it wont
come out PINK! life lesson learned, fortunately my Hair stylist only did it to a small little section on the underside of
my head but none-the less... The wig ladies however were able to mat and fit a wig to my hairline and help me
get it set and maintained perfectly with the picture-esque Alice bow so that all of it would stay even through the
tumbles and rough play of our production!

~Allykat
2009 - Attendee
2014 - Vice Chair

Offline xxxchihiroxxx

• Bunnygirl
    • My deviantart
« Reply #329 on: September 19, 2009, 10:55:52 pm »
xD dang thats quiet the story there!

and shuichi? dunno if cosworks has a great wig for him but i know i could find you one from a reliable buyer that ive bought from before.

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #330 on: September 19, 2009, 11:03:19 pm »
For Shuichi, I can tell you right now that you'll probably want the Cosworx Wisp in Dark Pink. I have gotten all but three of my wigs from them, and can tell you right now that their wigs are always very high-quality and come very fast. Also, the wig orders have never been messed up in my experience. I am a repeat customer to their business, and for good reason.

I really only go to eBay for specific character wigs, like my Lenalee Lee pigtails and my duo-toned Sheryl Nome wig.

Offline AllyKat

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #331 on: September 20, 2009, 12:33:12 am »
Awesome! That is exactly what I'm looking for, now, in terms of durability, have you found their wigs to withstand
lots of styling and cosplaying? I have to be careful with what I buy because I can be rather rough on a wig when
I wear it. If I forget I'm wearing a wig I have been known to accidentally run my fingers through it, scratch my
head and make a mess out of it entirely so it requires brushing, which is always a strain on the wig mat. You guys
sound like you do extensive styling to your wigs so, how do they hold up when you do have to straighten, flatten,
curl or sculpt the wigs? Are they comparable or do you have to buy new wigs every year for the same costume?

~allykat
2009 - Attendee
2014 - Vice Chair

Offline xxxchihiroxxx

• Bunnygirl
    • My deviantart
« Reply #332 on: September 20, 2009, 12:36:37 am »
uhhh well if your going to put heat source to it i havent worked with cosworks before, but their MEANT for cosplaying so i would believe them to withstand some wear and tear and styling. one of their wigs is made so you can part it anywhere i believe

most wigs hold up well to styling, unless well their halloween store wigs.

but honestly? the wigs ive had usually hold up to me cutting, spraying, molding into funky shapes.

Offline CLAP_attack

• Bunnygirl
    • Deviant Art
« Reply #333 on: September 20, 2009, 12:54:33 am »
Hrm , I need a good wig for Gakupo~
kcon plans 2013 ' plans ;

Minato Arisato - P3 ( 50% )
Renzou Shima - AnE ( 0% )
Finny in wonderland - Kuroshitsuji ( 0% )

Offline AllyKat

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #334 on: September 20, 2009, 12:54:55 am »
uhhh well if your going to put heat source to it i havent worked with cosworks before, but their MEANT for cosplaying so i would believe them to withstand some wear and tear and styling. one of their wigs is made so you can part it anywhere i believe

most wigs hold up well to styling, unless well their halloween store wigs.

but honestly? the wigs ive had usually hold up to me cutting, spraying, molding into funky shapes.

Great, thats exactly what I needed to know. I was a little worried buying from a online store, especially if I'm unsure of the
quality... but the wig they have here... especially for Shuichi, looks great and I can trim it up to be exactly what I need!

Tell me what you think of these wigs ( in terms of starting point for each character):

Heather Mason - Silent hill 3 (in blonde):

Sakura - Card Captor Sakura (in light brown):

Shuichi - Gravitation (in Dark Pink):

Ristuka - Loveless (in Black):

Ryoko - Real Bout Highschool (in Bright Red Auburn):

The Ritsuka and Ryoko wigs are the only ones I'm really reallyu unsure about.
the loveless wig would take some serious styling to get to the right part and
style and also has to account for major cat ear overhaul. The Ryoko wig just
isn't long enough as a high ponytail in a yellow ribbon is required for this character
plus the two level (perhaps 3?) bangs she has!

Otherwise... am I on the right track?

~Allykat

EDIT: the pics aren't showing up for me... if no one else can see them sorry...
I'll fix the bad links in the morning... I'm tired now and I must sleep.

~Allykat
« Last Edit: September 20, 2009, 01:00:00 am by AllyKat »
2009 - Attendee
2014 - Vice Chair

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #335 on: September 20, 2009, 09:24:40 am »
Cosworx stands up to styling just fine. There's absolutely nothing wrong with a single one of my Cosworx wigs, and I've never had to buy multiple wigs for a costume outside of my own stupid choices for color or base wig. The wigs all stand up to very heavy styling and I have yet to find a single one that will fall apart in your hands after one wearing or being sprayed with hairspray.

A Wisp in 1 (black) would be fine for Ritsuka, and you're really overthinking the whole cat ears thing. It isn't that hard to part some hair on the wig and glue or sew on some cat ears is it?

For Heather, I'm wondering if a Scruffy in 24/25 (they're the same color but listed funny) wouldn't be fine. It's a nice butterscotch blond.

For Sakura, the Tricia wig in 6 (Brown) would probably work pretty well as a base wig and you could style it without any problems. All of these wigs easily have bangs cut into them, as I've done it myself on several occasions.

Shuichi and Ritsuka I've already given you wig ideas for, which only leaves Ryoko.

That one I don't have a cosworx recommendation for. However, I have a recommendation for a wig from a completely different seller that I have bought multiple wigs from before over eBay, which is cosplaywig. Their ponytail wigs come with a base wig and a clip-on ponytail in the same color, and I can attest to how high-quality they are as I own one myself. You could use their Yoko wig, which even has the bangs at the side of the face on the base wig but might be a bit too red for your taste. beyond that they also have a few selections in a reddish brown that can crop up, but for cosplaywig it's pretty much first-come-first-serve until they list the wig again.

Hope that helped~

Offline Tinkeu

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #336 on: September 22, 2009, 09:56:22 pm »
I don't know if this has been mentioned in this thread... but... I came back from the con with a bald spot XD... right on my hairline where the wig cap/and wig were. Has anyone experienced this before? Any way to prevent it... I did make sure to stretch the wigcaps before wearing them...
K-con 05-Zidane Tribal, Final Fantasy IX
K-con 06-Vincent Valentine, Final Fantasy VII
k-con 07/08-Papparazi!
K-con 09-Tsukasa Amou, Juvenile Orion
             Turk Vincent, Final Fantasy VII
             OroKabuto, Naruto?

Offline StarryShay

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #337 on: September 23, 2009, 08:42:24 pm »
I need to spike my Len wig. o3o
Halp?

Offline xxxchihiroxxx

• Bunnygirl
    • My deviantart
« Reply #338 on: September 23, 2009, 08:46:27 pm »
xD but shay your len wig is like perfect

Offline StarryShay

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #339 on: September 23, 2009, 08:47:20 pm »
It got flat though! D':

Offline danayoki

• Bunnygirl
    • DeviantART
« Reply #340 on: September 23, 2009, 08:47:42 pm »
xD but shay your len wig is like perfect

It got killed at Kumori xD;
?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

Offline xxxchihiroxxx

• Bunnygirl
    • My deviantart
« Reply #341 on: September 23, 2009, 08:48:50 pm »
D: thats not good!

Offline StarryShay

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #342 on: September 23, 2009, 08:49:54 pm »
Yeah, it's just been on the wig head with my headphones on, and it got flatterrrr.

Offline xxxchihiroxxx

• Bunnygirl
    • My deviantart
« Reply #343 on: September 23, 2009, 08:51:51 pm »
xP WELL IN THAT CASE

G2b styling glue, hairspray and products 8D stuff works magic.

if your wig has any at all of its previous shape then just follow that as a guide

Offline StarryShay

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #344 on: September 23, 2009, 08:53:24 pm »
Thank youu~!
I remember Monica telling me a while ago that hairspray is good, so I'll just get some of that in it before Mewcon or whatever. ;3

Offline xxxchihiroxxx

• Bunnygirl
    • My deviantart
« Reply #345 on: September 23, 2009, 08:54:11 pm »
just make sure its g2b xP that stuff works the best with the fibers

Offline danayoki

• Bunnygirl
    • DeviantART
« Reply #346 on: September 25, 2009, 08:50:54 pm »
just make sure its g2b xP that stuff works the best with the fibers

Regular "drugstore" hairspray works fine too xPP I've got nothing but regular hairspray on my Sora wig.
?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

Offline StarryShay

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #347 on: September 25, 2009, 08:52:19 pm »
Hairspray hairspray. :333
I have another question:
Will Sharpy'ing a purple wig with a blue sharpie make it blue? :'33

Offline Roddy Manic

• Catgirl
    • Want-To-Be-Optimist
« Reply #348 on: September 25, 2009, 09:02:37 pm »
Can you go to a hair salon with a wig? *points to avi.* I can't find one for her but was thinking just buying a brown long one and showing the pick to the person and say "cut it to look like that."  *tried cutting her own wig once and killed it.*

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #349 on: September 25, 2009, 09:38:11 pm »
@ Shay: Maybe. Depends on the shade of purple and the shade of blue.