Author Topic: Official Wig Help Thread  (Read 649422 times)

Offline LtCommanderRichie

• Bunnygirl
Re: Official Wig Help Thread
« Reply #100 on: May 02, 2009, 09:28:52 pm »
@anime_gurl: if you want real hair extensions be prepared to pay out the nose for them. They're excessively expensive. Instead, I would suggest a wig. Not too sure which one, but it would most certainly be better.

And as;kdjfhaklsjdfhkh I got my pigtail wig today and I love it so hard right now OMG.

Offline nekovamp13

• It's over nine THOUSAND!!!!!
    • DeviantART
« Reply #101 on: May 02, 2009, 10:00:17 pm »
Well, I fully styled my Sven wig, but because it was my very first time actually styling a wig, I made some mistakes and need to redo it.....
So, what's the best (and cheapest) way of washing a wig? BTW, I used spray and spiking glue on it.
~Sakuracon/Kumoricon 2014~
King Candy (Sugar Rush)
Dot (Animaniacs)
Ice King (Adventure Time)
Beetlejuice (Animated Series)
Cosmo (FOP)
Octodad (Octodad)

https://www.facebook.com/smilingmooncosplay

Offline ichigoxcupcakes

• Bunnygirl
    • Website
« Reply #102 on: May 02, 2009, 10:42:27 pm »
@anime_gurl: if you want real hair extensions be prepared to pay out the nose for them. They're excessively expensive. Instead, I would suggest a wig. Not too sure which one, but it would most certainly be better.

And as;kdjfhaklsjdfhkh I got my pigtail wig today and I love it so hard right now OMG.

I thought so DX snickers~~~~

I was trying not to do a wig because they are so expensive DX [dies a little inside]
thank you <333

Offline Sutie

• Chibi
« Reply #103 on: May 02, 2009, 10:59:13 pm »
nekovamp13 - Yes, yes. Just like danayoki said. A small bit of shampoo and hot water should do the trick.  It's amazing what hot water can get out of wigs.

Great anime review site! http://www.otakureview.net/

Offline Sutie

• Chibi
« Reply #104 on: May 02, 2009, 11:34:45 pm »
^ alrighty, sounds good Dana. ^^

Offline nekovamp13

• DeviantART
« Reply #105 on: May 03, 2009, 01:35:51 am »
Okay, thanks!
King Candy (Sugar Rush)
Dot (Animaniacs)
Cosmo (FOP)
Octodad (Octodad)

Offline Miyuyuuhi

• Cabbit
« Reply #106 on: May 04, 2009, 12:25:44 pm »
So my friend gave me a wig that I plan on using for cosplay, however after we both looked at it we relized, "WOW IT"S REALLY POOFY!"
Anyone know any easy simple ways to depoof a wig? I know I'm already gonna try some of the advice about getting curls undone in earlier posts since I need it to be a lot straighter.
Basically the wig is gonna be used for a combination of Kairi and Namine's hair.
I would very much appreciate the help and advice.
Kumoricon cosplay(May Change)
 Shiki Misaki-Twewy (The World Ends With You)
 Kaimine-KH2 (Poor Love child of namine & Kairi)

Offline nikkiolie

• Facebook
« Reply #107 on: May 04, 2009, 12:35:22 pm »
Something that might work but could damage the wig is using a flat iron. Some wigs are a good enough quality that you can use a flat iron on them at A VERY VERY LOW TEMPERATURE! If you have one I would suggest trying it out on a small section of hair to see if it will destroy the strands or not. Maybe try it on the hair that will rest against the back of your neck and is not shown.

Offline Miyuyuuhi

• Cabbit
« Reply #108 on: May 04, 2009, 12:37:18 pm »
Something that might work but could damage the wig is using a flat iron. Some wigs are a good enough quality that you can use a flat iron on them at A VERY VERY LOW TEMPERATURE! If you have one I would suggest trying it out on a small section of hair to see if it will destroy the strands or not. Maybe try it on the hair that will rest against the back of your neck and is not shown.

That might just work. Looks like I'm gonna be really busy as soon as i get home :D
Thanks for responding so quickly.

Offline nikkiolie

• Facebook
« Reply #109 on: May 04, 2009, 04:20:02 pm »
I mean give it a shot. I have a few wigs that can be straightened and some that can not >_> Actually all the ones that can I ordered from the same place XD

Offline Sutie

• Chibi
« Reply #110 on: May 04, 2009, 05:39:13 pm »
What also might work is to steam it a bit. Put a damp rag over the wig then use the flat iron ontop of the rag. Try that if other things don't work.

Offline ~boogiepop~

• Bunnygirl
    • Glorious Me
« Reply #111 on: May 04, 2009, 05:58:46 pm »
Wouldn't the hot water technique work on Miyuyuuhi's wig? I think that's the safest way to do things. I've used to straighten and detangle wigs before.
http://www.pettingzoowigs.com/wigtutorial_straightening.html
You can also put SOME conditioner in the wig so see if that weighs down the poof too I suppose. Plus it makes wigs smell all nice and pretty~
WHY DO THE FORUMS SUCK SO BAD?

~2012 cosplay mofos~
Ramona Flowers- Scott Pilgrim, Miria Harvent- Baccano!, Filia- Skullgirls, Milk- Pop'n Music

Offline nikkiolie

• Facebook
« Reply #112 on: May 04, 2009, 06:17:09 pm »
the hot water technique would work but I just don't think it would get as straight as a flat iron could get it.

Offline Miyuyuuhi

• Cabbit
« Reply #113 on: May 05, 2009, 07:22:22 am »
Alrighty everyone, So, I started out working with the hot water technique, It's already looking better last time I saw it last night. I will probably check it out again when I get home from school.
I was adviced to do this a few more times so yeah thats what I will do. The ends of the wig were already previously damaged slightly from a straightening iron, good thing its at the ends where I will probably be trimming it at.
So overall, I'm here to say thank you to everyone for their advice. I shall keep everyone updated on the progress. :D

Offline nyahaha

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #114 on: May 05, 2009, 08:10:35 pm »
I think if you barely touch the ends with hairglue or spray with hairspray and blow dry it on low heat and low strength, it might curve in. Thats how I got some of my flippies in my Mikuo wig to stay curved up.
check out my facebook page!! www.facebook.com/macnleecosplay

Offline Sutie

• Chibi
« Reply #115 on: May 05, 2009, 08:13:40 pm »
Hair Gum. At first it's sticky/gummy and you might see it a little but it fades to clear and holds ALL DAY! Even if the hair is thin or just little tiny pieces of it.

Offline nyahaha

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #116 on: May 05, 2009, 08:18:30 pm »
Maybe just blow drying it would work...if you have a "cool" button, you could do medium heat for 5 sec, then push the cool button for 8. and keep alternating it until it looks like its holding. I'm not sure though. I've never tried it.

Offline xxxchihiroxxx

• Bunnygirl
    • My deviantart
« Reply #117 on: May 06, 2009, 12:42:37 pm »
from the looks of the pic in your sig it curves in because of some trimming

i would try to layer it a bit on the outer pieces so it looks like it curves in.
returning with a vengeance to K con~

Offline ichigoxcupcakes

• Bunnygirl
    • Website
« Reply #118 on: May 06, 2009, 12:47:53 pm »
I'm trying to grow my hair out, but just in case my hair is stupid.....
does anyone know where I can get hair extensions (preferably real hair ) or a wig that looks like this?

Thank you : [

I can't find a wig like this except this one DX

And it does not look good at all, and...that : [ It doesn't look good. At least I think so

Offline ~boogiepop~

• Bunnygirl
    • Glorious Me
« Reply #119 on: May 06, 2009, 02:06:11 pm »
Ugh, that wig is really friggin' ugly. I couldn't find a brown wig like that either but if you don't wanna make the ponytails yourself I'm sure you could just dye one of the nice pigtail wigs from cosplaywig on ebay.
http://cgi.ebay.com/2-clip-on-BLONDE-PONYTAILS-wig-cosplay-skin-top-new_W0QQitemZ180352730656QQihZ008QQcategoryZ60188QQtcZphotoQQcmdZViewItem
Just make sure you get a light wig though.
And if you wanna be real ghetto like me and not buy expensive wig dyes you can use sharpies :D
http://www.cosplay.com/showthread.php?t=82947
That's what I would do because I'm lazy as hell. But I'm sure some of the other people on here may have a better idea.

~2012 cosplay mofos~
Ramona Flowers- Scott Pilgrim, Miria Harvent- Baccano!, Filia- Skullgirls, Milk- Pop'n Music

Offline ichigoxcupcakes

• Bunnygirl
    • Website
« Reply #120 on: May 06, 2009, 02:11:22 pm »
Ugh, that wig is really friggin' ugly. I couldn't find a brown wig like that either but if you don't wanna make the ponytails yourself I'm sure you could just dye one of the nice pigtail wigs from cosplaywig on ebay.
http://cgi.ebay.com/2-clip-on-BLONDE-PONYTAILS-wig-cosplay-skin-top-new_W0QQitemZ180352730656QQihZ008QQcategoryZ60188QQtcZphotoQQcmdZViewItem
Just make sure you get a light wig though.
And if you wanna be real ghetto like me and not buy expensive wig dyes you can use sharpies :D
http://www.cosplay.com/showthread.php?t=82947
That's what I would do because I'm lazy as hell. But I'm sure some of the other people on here may have a better idea.

hmmmm the sharpie idea sounds good but sounds like it would take a while DX did you do it to one of your wigs? : O
I would be so nervous to do it~

could I use these?!

http://cgi.ebay.com/W801-Black-Dark-Brown-Ribbon-Ponytail-Hair-22-Long-Wig_W0QQitemZ290314866609QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUS_CSA_MWA_Wigs_Extensions?hash=item43981d4fb1&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1205%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A12%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1318%7C301%3A0%7C293%3A1%7C294%3A50
 The only thing I would be worried about is the hair being loose and falling out revealing my true pigtails XDDD And looks like really thin hair DX
« Last Edit: May 06, 2009, 02:16:26 pm by anime_gurl_123 »

Offline ~boogiepop~

• Bunnygirl
    • Glorious Me
« Reply #121 on: May 06, 2009, 02:16:44 pm »
@Anime_Gurl-
I'm sure those could work on one condition...

When you get them, dye your hair to match the colors of the pigtails, or visa verca. It looks terrible if your hair is a different color from clip on's and it makes me cringe inside. And as long as your pigtails aren't OMGSOHUGE those clipon's will fall over them and no one will see it. It wouldn't really matter if anyways of your hair pokes out anyways if you dye it the same color.

Also more clip-ons: http://www.amphigory.com/hair_addons_clipon.html

And the sharpie dye does work, though I was just playing around with some colors to see what I could do with my orange wig.  So I haven't done a whole wig yet, but from what I was working with it was pretty easy. You can try out what colors it would change the wig/clip on' just by cutting a tiny piece of hair off and testing it.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2009, 02:22:43 pm by ~boogiepop~ »

~2012 cosplay mofos~

Offline nyahaha

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #122 on: May 06, 2009, 02:18:58 pm »
That is very true, boogie, I hate it when people think its ok if it's almost, but not quite. you can get decent temporary hair dye if you don't want your hair to stay dyed until it grows out.

Offline ichigoxcupcakes

• Bunnygirl
    • Website
« Reply #123 on: May 06, 2009, 02:21:52 pm »
I know I HATE it when the person doesn't dye the hair oh god [dies a little] it makes me ill inside DX
Thank you~~~~ sorry for the trouble

AHHHH these would be perfect
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=400047944552

But it's blonde DX and I just want the pigtails (it says its three items::1 short wig + 2 clip on 34cm/ 17" ponytails) I just want the ponytails XDDD [dies]

Offline ~boogiepop~

• Bunnygirl
    • Glorious Me
« Reply #124 on: May 06, 2009, 02:25:53 pm »
Haha, well having the wig base can assure that nothing will fall out and look dumb and silly, and if nothing else you can use it for another cosplay. Since the blond is so light you can practically dye it any color. There are a couple other ways to dye wigs with things other then sharpies that you can find on cosplay.com.

But my opinion, go for the wig. I highly doubt your hair is going to be the exact shade of brown of any clip on. You don't know what dye will do to your hair and if you screw up...you're kind of stuck with it.

~2012 cosplay mofos~

Offline ichigoxcupcakes

• Bunnygirl
    • Website
« Reply #125 on: May 06, 2009, 02:31:15 pm »
Haha, well having the wig base can assure that nothing will fall out and look dumb and silly, and if nothing else you can use it for another cosplay. Since the blond is so light you can practically dye it any color. There are a couple other ways to dye wigs with things other then sharpies that you can find on cosplay.com.

But my opinion, go for the wig. I highly doubt your hair is going to be the exact shade of brown of any clip on. You don't know what dye will do to your hair and if you screw up...you're kind of stuck with it.

True DX
thank you so much <33
QUESTION:: Have you dyed a wig before? and if so, do I really have to sharpie each strand with a marker?
Can I purchase permanent hair dye and dye it with that? Or can I not do that since it's synthetic? [hitshead] sorry for all the questions~

Offline ~boogiepop~

• Bunnygirl
    • Glorious Me
« Reply #126 on: May 06, 2009, 02:38:45 pm »
It's all good, I know how it is to be new at stuff. Hell, I know a lot but I'm still pretty bad at wigs.
I edited one of my posts above and put a link in there for you for more clip on's. I haven't dyed a whole wig before but I've dyed strands. It worked out pretty well.
You can color it strand by strand or you can make a solution to dye the wig, which seems a little less tedious. The instructions to make it are on the link that I gave you for the sharpie dying.

Never use real hair dye on a wig. Your wig is not real hair so it won't work. There are special dyes you can use on wigs that you can buy from Katie Bair http://www.pettingzoowigs.com/wigsupplies_dye.html or you can make your own dye apprently http://www.cosplay.com/showthread.php?t=57484.

Those threads should have all the information you need though. Good luck!

~2012 cosplay mofos~

Offline ichigoxcupcakes

• Bunnygirl
    • Website
« Reply #127 on: May 06, 2009, 02:43:38 pm »
It's all good, I know how it is to be new at stuff. Hell, I know a lot but I'm still pretty bad at wigs.
I edited one of my posts above and put a link in there for you for more clip on's. I haven't dyed a whole wig before but I've dyed strands. It worked out pretty well.
You can color it strand by strand or you can make a solution to dye the wig, which seems a little less tedious. The instructions to make it are on the link that I gave you for the sharpie dying.

Never use real hair dye on a wig. Your wig is not real hair so it won't work. There are special dyes you can use on wigs that you can buy from Katie Bair http://www.pettingzoowigs.com/wigsupplies_dye.html or you can make your own dye apprently http://www.cosplay.com/showthread.php?t=57484.

Those threads should have all the information you need though. Good luck!

Thank you so much~~!!!  :D I appreciate your help so much ♥ ♥
Ah alright, no real hair dye [check] : 3 thank you so much~ I shall look at those links!

Offline xxxchihiroxxx

• Bunnygirl
    • My deviantart
« Reply #128 on: May 08, 2009, 07:39:33 am »
dont forget to alwaysw test the color on a few strands first to make sure its ok before dying the whole wig! : o

Offline Sayda

• Bunnygirl
    • Deviant Art.
« Reply #129 on: May 08, 2009, 12:06:39 pm »
The only thing I don't like about the wigs with the pigtails, is that it looks like they have a normal wig, then attached two extensions on the side without even trying to bring the rest of the hair up. Anyone get me? To me, I think it looks horrible. ~ ~

Also Natalie, I'm pretty sure they sell extensions of all kinds at Sallys Beauty Supply. Even if it's not real hair, it still LOOKS like real hair. I've used extensions on my hair plenty of times and other then my friends who know me, no one could tell they were fake.
AX :
- Seras Victoria (Hellsing)
- Axel (Kingdom Hearts II)
- Debut Cosplay

Offline RozenMaiden_Girl

• Bunnygirl
    • My Deviantart
« Reply #130 on: May 08, 2009, 05:34:13 pm »
How do I keep a wig nice and brushed, I cant get it to stay nice.
Lolita and "lolita cosplay" are not the same thing, and ever will be. Period.

Offline xxxchihiroxxx

• Bunnygirl
    • My deviantart
« Reply #131 on: May 08, 2009, 05:47:05 pm »
keep it in a nice place

when you see it getting a bit tangly get a doll/wig brush (or a comb, just not a normal brush. it has to have fairly wide gaps between the teeth) and just prush it out gently. remeber wig hairs dont grow back. and also remeber to much brushing creates static.

you can also finger comb it a bit every now and then when you see it getting tangly.

the best way to stop it from tangling to much is to just have it sitting on a wig head, thats ussualy the best way to keep it since it will retain its shape.

Offline RozenMaiden_Girl

• Bunnygirl
    • My Deviantart
« Reply #132 on: May 08, 2009, 08:15:01 pm »
thank you but, I do ckeep it in a nice place.
Lolita and "lolita cosplay" are not the same thing, and ever will be. Period.

Offline ichigoxcupcakes

• Bunnygirl
    • Website
« Reply #133 on: May 09, 2009, 08:21:59 am »
The only thing I don't like about the wigs with the pigtails, is that it looks like they have a normal wig, then attached two extensions on the side without even trying to bring the rest of the hair up. Anyone get me? To me, I think it looks horrible. ~ ~

I don't think it looks horrible :P My Miku wig was the same, and no one could tell that they were clip-ons. (I don't even think you could tell when I first got my wig. xD)

Yeah I know exactly what you mean Marie DX it ticks me off like a time bomb ugh.
Like this wig, I love and totally want to buy it because its PERFECT.

The only thing I hate about it is the back of the wig.Oh my god I hate it.

I don't really mind that its three parts, personally. It's also because of the side few, it looks REALLY WEIRD, which saddens me : [
poop.

I think I just might grow out my hair for this cosplay, since it's not that far off (just a smidge) sadly

Offline xxxchihiroxxx

• Bunnygirl
    • My deviantart
« Reply #134 on: May 09, 2009, 10:52:47 am »
you could possibley do a bit of triming on the back to make it look more natrual : o

Offline ichigoxcupcakes

• Bunnygirl
    • Website
« Reply #135 on: May 09, 2009, 04:26:42 pm »
you could possibley do a bit of triming on the back to make it look more natrual : o

But for 80 dollars, I wouldn't want to do any work to it DX
[hitshead]
I think Im going to just pop a lot of hair growing vitamins XD

Offline xxxchihiroxxx

• Bunnygirl
    • My deviantart
« Reply #136 on: May 09, 2009, 08:40:34 pm »
80 bucks?! O_O that is one spendy wig!

there are a few places you could look at for wigs......

what might be good for you

is to go to cosworkx.com and get their scruffy wig in a brown, and then get extensions. its a very natrual looking wig and would look really great for that cosplay, just a bit of triming.

Offline JulianaRose

• Cabbit
« Reply #137 on: May 22, 2009, 01:05:34 am »
Okay guys, I have a weird question about extensions and what-not.  Let me start by saying that I have never, ever used any kind of wig, hair extension etc. ever before, but I want to change that this year.

I'm going as Luna in her human form this year for the con. She has insanely long curly hair.  This is what my hair looks like currently, though it's about two-three inches longer.  I want my hair just a tad bit longer, and don't want to buy a wig to cover up hair that already looks close to the real thing.  So what I want to know, is about how many of these babies would I need to achieve this look?  So, in other words I really don't want it as thick on the bottom as it is on top.

Thanks so much for reading and any help at all  :)

Offline Sugarlat

• Bunnygirl
    • Youtube - Sugarlatdesu
« Reply #138 on: May 22, 2009, 01:35:28 am »
well I've never used extensions before but I've seen my friends use it.
I'm not sure how many but seeing as if one is only like a few couple strands I'd probably get a couple.
Also probably the best idea to get the long ones because once you curl it [/mostlikelyusingthesteamingwigcurlingmethod]
it'll be shorter then it started out[/thatsafacteveryoneknows]
but it makes sense in wanting to do that.
I love human luna version to be honest, I think it looks really cool 8D
Also um...I was gonna say something...RIGHT. get the clip on extensions not wefts cause those are make to make wigs XD

Offline nikkiolie

• Facebook
« Reply #139 on: May 22, 2009, 10:20:44 am »
I would say about five would be good. Are you trying to go for the color as Venessa? Because if you are there isn't a whole lot of the light brown, just in a few trips so five or six of the clip ons should work well.

Offline JulianaRose

• Cabbit
« Reply #140 on: May 22, 2009, 11:01:09 am »
Thank you both so much for the quick replies!

Sugarlat: I found where I can get a set of 8 for 11$.  I'm not too concerned if they aren't the best quality in the world since I'll be blending them with my natural hair.  And I'll definitely have to look up the correct method of curling the pieces. I don't want to ruin them!  :)

Nikki: Thanks! And I'm going to keep them black,  not the same color as Vanessa.  My hair is the next color up from black, so I'm going to see how they look.  And if they just don't blend well color wise, I'll see what I can do as far as color.  8)

Offline nikkiolie

• Facebook
« Reply #141 on: May 22, 2009, 11:05:54 am »
Well if you can get 8 of them that would be better. I was going to say about 10 would be great but that would be $40 x.x

oslapedo

« Reply #142 on: May 25, 2009, 12:07:35 am »
Can anyone give me suggestions for a good base wig for Mimi Tachikawa from Digimon?

Offline veraca

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #143 on: May 25, 2009, 05:38:48 am »
@ oslapedo: I'd suggest "Ashley 850" or "Ashley" from Cosworx... http://cosworx.com/product.php?productid=16290&cat=2451&page=1 The problem you'd find is getting her hair into a nice pony-tail without showing much unless you can get the hat to hide it well.

Anyone have tips on what I can do with my Allen Walker (D.Gray-Man) wig's bangs? I've seen some people've trimmed lots of bangs. I'd like it to be accurate, but as it is right now, I'd go blind and have zip sense of depth perception x.x
Dreaming is easy, dreamwalking is hard.
Kumori'15
Kanata (Trinity Universe)

oslapedo

« Reply #144 on: May 25, 2009, 11:01:38 am »
Hm... maybe I could cut it all, aside from the front two strands and make a ponytail extension out of it...

For your Allen bangs I don't think it'd be too horrible if you kept them parted the same way but you should probably trim them a bit shorter~

Offline UtadaFan20

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #145 on: June 15, 2009, 09:51:49 am »
Do you guys have any ideas on how I can get my wig to stay securly on my head?
I have long middle back length hair and it is hard for me to get it to stay up without my hair weighing it down! any suggestions? because I would perfer not to have to dye my hair to make a good cosplay.
Kumoricon 2012??????

Offline nikkiolie

• Facebook
« Reply #146 on: June 15, 2009, 10:08:33 am »
Wig pins. You can buy them at Sally's and they...here they are shown in this tutorial http://taeliac.deviantart.com/art/Tutorial-How-to-put-on-a-wig-48000503

sorry more specifically this one http://taeliac.deviantart.com/art/Tutorial-How-to-put-on-wigcap-45629366
« Last Edit: June 15, 2009, 10:09:20 am by nikkiolie »

Offline DooFeRthePanda

• Catgirl
« Reply #147 on: June 15, 2009, 11:35:10 am »
hmm what do you used to style wigs? like you want to spike it? hmm cuz i need to spike a wig. yup

Offline nikkiolie

• Facebook
« Reply #148 on: June 15, 2009, 02:21:44 pm »
Got2b glued freezing spray and spiking gel

Offline nekovamp13

• DeviantART
« Reply #149 on: June 16, 2009, 05:17:42 pm »
What's a good way to untangle really tangled wigs? I found one of my old wigs and want to use it, but it's REALLY tangled and not very easy to get out...And it's long which is making it worse...
King Candy (Sugar Rush)
Dot (Animaniacs)
Cosmo (FOP)
Octodad (Octodad)