Convention Events and Programming > Cosplay

Official Wig Help Thread

(1/233) > >>

oslapedo:
Everyone that has wig questions or concerns come here! It'd be nice if we could keep all of our lovely wig discussing in one wig-licious place!

So I just finished straightening a ridiclously curly wig... with a straightener. And it worked fabulously! Most people say that hair straighteners are the death of wigs but that's only true if common sense is disregarded. As long as the straightener is on a low heat and it's not left over the wig fibers for too long it should be fine. Mine was on a heat of 2/30 if that's any help :D

I'll post some pics soon, once I get them uploaded. I'm planning on using it for a Nami (One Piece) cosplay.

Feel free to share any and all wig-isodes and wig-scapades!

tofutakeout:
I have a tragic story of the wig from my first con but we won't go there because it's epically tragic. T_T;;

Sayda:
Another method for straightening wigs is to run hot water over them. What I do is pin the wig to the wig head, boil some water for about two to three minutes on high. Then I put the wig head on the plunger and put the plunger in the shower, or bathtub, then pour the hot water over it. Afterwards you leave it as it is and let it dry on its own and voila!

@Tofu, if you don't want to go buy a razor, I would suggest sectioning off parts of the wig, then taking a smaller section of the bigger sections and cutting them diagonally or straight up into the wig hair for a thinned out look rather then straight across.

oslapedo:
@ tofu, It'd be a lot easier to help if you posted pics of the characters and maybe even your base wig. Hm... Attack it with scissors? :D

Okay... here it is, my wig that's gone from zero to hero! <3

Ewww! Say it ain't so! As you can see this is a curly, tangled up beast. Surely it's impossible to straighten...!

Ha ha, I don't have a wig head yet so Buddha's gonna have to do.

Before straightening my wig with my hair straightener I attempt to brush out some of the curls to make the job easier. Seen above, my weapon of choice.

Progress shot! Part of the straightened wig is isolated in a ponytail to the side while the rest is everywhere. Buddha wasn't working so I tried thumbtacking my wig to my Haruhi plushie... It was a bit difficult.

And so I straightened on for at least an hour! It's a bit tedious but a lot more involving and less of a hassle than the hot water method so it was good times.

The finished product?

Ta-da! Now I just need to style it and I'll have me a Nami wig! Yes I'm a bit tired in my pics but it's the fatigue of satisfaction. Straightening wigs takes a while but it gives you such an accomplished feeling.

Excuse me on the pic-heaviness! Hooray for my straightened wig <3

tofutakeout:
@sayda
Really? That actually seems a lot easier then I thought it would be. Thanks :3.

@osla
woah, that is once curly wig. XD

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version