Author Topic: An idea for this years masq  (Read 4428 times)

Offline xxxchihiroxxx

• Bunnygirl
    • My deviantart
An idea for this years masq
« on: March 26, 2009, 03:17:03 pm »
Well i like the way we run our masq at K con and it all seems to go smoothly but recently i came across this forum on cosplay.com

http://www.cosplay.com/showthread.php?t=175162

its an interesting topic to read through.

one thing that got my atention though is around page 4 and 3 when the idea of mixing walk ons and skits together came about. i think its actualy a good idea.

traditionly from what i noticed (if im remeber correctly) k con does it so we have walk ons in the front and then skits later.

for many conventions it some how seems the skits are held above walk ons which i dont think is right.

what if we tried alternating? like say a walkon (or presentation as they are also called) then a skit then a walk on then a skit. i think it would be a nice way to mix things up and seperate the idea that there two very diffrent things and really what both do is show case costumes, one just also happens to involve some comedic writing.

its just an idea really, and one i think may benifit kumoricon. I like how we run thins already and thing that were doing a pretty good job but there is always room for improvment with every system.

thank you for your time <3

Chihiro
returning with a vengeance to K con~

Offline tofutakeout

• Bunnygirl
    • Deviantart
Re: An idea for this years masq
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2009, 04:11:03 pm »
I second this as something that could be done. It's a really good idea and it's true, the walk on's don't seem to get as much love. The walk on's I think are usually for the really well thought out, harder costumes to make so they can't be used in a skit but should still deserve a prize. And it would probably make the event a whole lot sweeter too. It'd liven things up and make things more interesting.

But then I also see it as some people might only go to watch the walk on's and not the skits and others watch the skit's but not the walk on's. Now I think I'm just babbling. >_>;;
da/tumblr
Pull the trigger, pull the trigger, pull the trigger. BOOM

Offline xxxchihiroxxx

• Bunnygirl
    • My deviantart
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2009, 04:59:09 pm »
^ now see i actualy think it would stop people from just going to see one or the other so that they could really apriciate both.

Offline tofutakeout

• Bunnygirl
    • Deviantart
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2009, 05:11:02 pm »
ah that's true. that makes perfect sense. :3
da/tumblr
Pull the trigger, pull the trigger, pull the trigger. BOOM

Offline cosplay_manda

• Oni
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2009, 11:06:51 am »
Allo there, just thought I'd put my two cents into this thread. I agree that there has been a trend in a lot of the conventions to want to shorten the amount of time that the Cosplay contest takes up and as a member of the programming staff I can understand that to an extent.
However, I think there can be a way to allow walk-on entries in the Cosplay Contest to still get the recognition they deserve.
We have talked about having a runway down the aisles for the Cosplay Contest and having the walk-on entries use that runway to allow them time on stage, and let the audience see all their hard work. I thought I'd put this out here to see if we could get some feedback on this. What do you guys think about this idea?

oslapedo

« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2009, 11:08:26 am »
That sounds cool, it'd be like a cosplay fashion show!

Offline xxxchihiroxxx

• Bunnygirl
    • My deviantart
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2009, 11:29:49 am »
Cosplay_manda: to my knowledge the walk ons have time on stage as is, its just their devided into diffrent catigorys. I agree that they need their reckognition for their fantastic costumes which is why i posed this idea so they could stand out and not be all one mesh of people walking on the stage and back off again.

I do like your idea to, i think it would be an interesting way for them to get to see the costumes up front. Perhaps we combine the two together? I think it is entirely possible i just worry about space.

one thing is though which was another reason why i posed htis idea, is that many conventions are now taking walk ons rights away to their own music as they do their presentation. I sadly cant remember k cons policy on the matter but I think its important that they each have their oiwn taste of individuality. ON reason why we all pay such close attention to skis is because their so diffrent, which is what makes them stand out in our minds. I fear if we have the runway idea going on it would happen with just a common generic techno song in the background. And really many music doesnt match a lot of costumes. i may just be piccy but that is my thoughts on it.

i do like the runway n the aisles idea though. ; )

Offline Runa

• Catgirl
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2009, 12:30:03 pm »
Last year we WERE going to have a runway, but due to some sort of hotel glitch or something like that, the runway didn't happen. In fact, I didn't even hear about the runway being nixed until just before the convention.

Traditionally, walk-ons at Kumoricon can either supply their own music, or walk onstage using whatever generic music the sound guy puts on. So, yes, they have always been allowed to choose their own, and many do since they know what's appropriate for their character. Also traditionally, all walk-ons crossed the stage prior to the start of the skits.

I'm not sure whether we could coordinate alternating walk-ons and skits. The exact numbers of presenters is extremely variable. Lots of people sign up, some don't bother to show up at all, and then others sign on at the last minute. Last year, we had 5 skits not show up - yet got a TON of additional costumes / walk-ons.

This year we are hoping to have a runway so as long as all goes well, one ought to be present. It would be even more fun if there existed a convention space that had the equivalent of a Kabuki theater's stage - that would really be a lot of fun (in addition to there being runways in center stage, they have runways on stage left and stage right, cool trap doors and rising platforms). We have also decided that we're going to have the walk-ons present their costumes during the "half-time" (the time during which the judges tally the scores to decide the winning skits).

by the way, this year we have 2 Cosplay Coordinators (yes, Kumoricon is getting big enough to need this). I'm running the costuming half and Cosplay_Manda is running the skits. We ARE working together so if you find either one of us we should be able to answer all questions.

Offline nikkiolie

• It's over nine THOUSAND!!!!!
    • Facebook
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2009, 12:34:15 pm »
Sakuracon does it basically in the order that you get all your stuff turned in or sign up I believe. But walk-ons were mixed in with everything else.

Offline CharlotteElbourne

• Chibi
    • Charlotte's Cosplay.com Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2009, 08:39:14 pm »
I was wondering about this years cosplay contests... Last year, I didn't even know we could have our own music ^^; otherwise I would have used one! This year, definitely I will have my own for my entry walk on lol.

But I love the runway idea! It would let people be able to see the cosplays so much easier instead of being this bright thing on the stage where you cant see any details if you are waaaaaaaaay in the back D:

Offline nekovamp13

• It's over nine THOUSAND!!!!!
    • DeviantART
« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2009, 02:01:24 am »
Continuing on what you said...
I had a very difficult time seeing the walkons and the skits, also the sound wasn't the greatest. I don't know if it was just because of where we were, but if that could be improved somehow.

And the runway is one way that's improving this. It sounds like a very good idea and you should go through with it.
~Sakuracon/Kumoricon 2014~
King Candy (Sugar Rush)
Dot (Animaniacs)
Ice King (Adventure Time)
Beetlejuice (Animated Series)
Cosmo (FOP)
Octodad (Octodad)

https://www.facebook.com/smilingmooncosplay

Offline xxxchihiroxxx

• Bunnygirl
    • My deviantart
« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2009, 08:06:39 pm »
for sound maybe putting speakers in the back? just a thought. ._.

we may be big enough this year that a vid screen in the back of the room could be a benifit...I dunno some of the larger cons have them up above so that the audiance can see the skit from farther away. It would be awesome if we could do auditorium style seating (like going from really tall to lower) but I doubt we have the vecinity for that.

Offline Runa

• Catgirl
« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2009, 02:54:53 pm »

for sound maybe putting speakers in the back? just a thought. ._.
we may be big enough this year that a vid screen in the back of the room could be a benifit...I dunno some of the larger cons have them up above so that the audiance can see the skit from farther away. It would be awesome if we could do auditorium style seating (like going from really tall to lower) but I doubt we have the vecinity for that.
I"ve been asking for over 3 years to have a vid screen set up so that we could make it easier for people in the back to see the stage activities better. Part of the reason for not getting it was money, but also lack of technical equipment to do it. Another factor is the size and shape of the main events room - is there enough space to do it?
Auditorium seating would be fun, unfortunately hotels do not have rooms built in that style so we can't do it. The main events room (where cosplay is usually held) has traditionally been a multi-purpose room used for the concerts, cosplay and for the dances. YOu can't dance in an auditorium with a sloped floor.

Offline xxxchihiroxxx

• Bunnygirl
    • My deviantart
« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2009, 09:19:47 pm »
xP why i said i doubted we could do it xD

and hm... well the con is getting a lot bigger this year... any chance of it this time?