Author Topic: [group creation] Karaoke Idea  (Read 1807 times)

Offline hikaru_maxwell

• Catgirl
[group creation] Karaoke Idea
« on: March 25, 2009, 11:08:16 pm »
I just had a wonderful idea for the Karaoke, and I really want to do it.  I need 4 other people who can sing, though....and are willing not only to cosplay, but to show up one to two days in advance so we can practice without missing out on stuff.

Okay, about the idea.  Has anyone ever heard this song? Love in the Ice by Tohoshinki.  If you haven't, thats okay.  I have a video for you:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XxBoZbX155A

Take a look at the subtitles, and you'll understand the next part. I want to sing this, not as the band that originally did it, but as anime and video game characters.  I plan to be Yuna (yeah, I know I've done it before), and I'd like other anime cosplayers (who can sing and are willing to put in the effort to try and learn this song and learn it right) to form a five person group with me, each taking a solo part (you can see each of the band members sing a part, and groups of two sing some parts, a group a three sings a certain part, and then all 5 sing together at parts).  I intend for the song (and the cosplay itself) to be a statement about anime and anime conventions in general, that despite what hurts and fears the listener may have had, that we (otaku and anime characters) are always there for them, won't judge, and are willing to be a bastion of warmth and camaraderie in the cold and cruel world.

Ugh, philosophically heavy as hell, I know.  maybe I'm just being too much here, but that's my idea.  Needless to say, if you want to do this with me, please do not dress as Kafka or Orochimaru.  That would not give the warm fuzzy type of feeling I'm going for.

Edit: If you're interested in doing this, please post which character(s) you're thinking of doing it as.  (I'm just curious that way).

x-posted to my livejournal, for thoroughness. 
« Last Edit: March 25, 2009, 11:35:32 pm by hikaru_maxwell »

~*~Member of Cannot Unsee~*~

Offline tofutakeout

• Bunnygirl
    • Deviantart
Re: [group creation] Karaoke Idea
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2009, 11:15:44 pm »
I...actually like this idea. I've never heard the song but I like it a lot. I guess showing love to everyone in this way makes sense. any hurt, we're here for you. <3

would you want to do this at open mic or an actual performance for the karaoke contest?
da/tumblr
Pull the trigger, pull the trigger, pull the trigger. BOOM

Offline hikaru_maxwell

• Catgirl
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2009, 11:26:41 pm »
I'm thinking an actual performance for the Hybrid Karaoke (since we'll be in-costume).

(note: I'm not big on what gender you (or your cosplay) are, as long as we all get enough practice in to sound good at the performance, and all learn the words properly).

Edit: Ugh, I almost forgot.  Lyrics:
(the letters before certain parts indicate who is singing: H - Hero, C - Changmin, X - Xiah, M - Micky, Y - Yunho, A - All)

Tohoshinki - Love in the Ice romaji

A: Ah, ah, ah lah lah.
Ah, ah, ah lah lah.
Ah, ah, ah lah lah.
Ah, ah, ah lah lah.

H: Tsumetai sono te kimi no sei ja nai
Osanaki hibi otta kizu kakae
C: Dareka wo aisuru koto osoreteru no
Kotoba no uragawa se wo mukete

M: Dakishimeta kokoro ga koori no you ni sotto tokedasu

H: Daremo ga dareka ni aisareru tame ni
Kono yo ni inochi wo kiramekaseru no sa
X+Y: Sore ga moshi mo boku nara mou ichido kimi no kokoro wo
Towa no yasashisa de atatameru yo…

Ah, ah, ah lah lah.
Ah, ah, ah lah lah.
Ah, ah, ah lah lah.

M: Unmei no itazura (H: kokoro wo itamete mo)
M+H: Sono namida no saki ni wa
Y: Hitosuji no hikari ga (C: yami no naka maiorite)
Y+C: Bokura wa kizuku sa

H: Kurushii hodo ni tsuyoku kanjiaeru hito no nukumori

H+X: Daremo ga motteru kanashimi ya kodoku
Iyashite moraeru basho sagashiteiru
H+Y: SO… Kimi ni wa sono basho ga koko ni aru sa osorenaide
Mou mayowanaide H: boku ga mamoru

Ah, ah, ah lah lah.
Ah, ah, ah lah lah.
Ah, ah, ah lah lah.

X: Setsunai hodo (H: My heart) utsukushii
Ai dakara (Y: Oh..Don’t be afraid)
Hakanai hodo (C: Let you know my mind) uruwashii
Kono toki wo… (M: You know… Let you know my love)

H+C+Y: Daremo ga dareka ni aisareru tame ni
H+C+Y+M: Kono yo ni inochi wo kiramekaseru no sa
A: Sore ga moshi mo boku nara mou ichido kimi no kokoro wo
Towa no yasashisa de atatameru yo…

Ah, ah, ah lah lah.
Ah, ah, ah lah lah.
Ah, ah, ah lah lah.
Ah, ah, ah lah lah.

Ah, ah, ah lah lah.
Ah, ah, ah lah lah.
Ah, ah, ah lah lah.
Ah, ah, ah lah lah.....
« Last Edit: March 25, 2009, 11:56:25 pm by hikaru_maxwell »

Offline tofutakeout

• Bunnygirl
    • Deviantart
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2009, 11:56:21 pm »
cool cool. ah good! lyrics are my best friend. ^_^

well I'm not sure I fully want to do this yet but we have some time. I'll wait to see who else decides to join in from there. It does really seem like fun though.
da/tumblr

Offline hikaru_maxwell

• Catgirl
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2009, 12:07:58 am »
Yes.  I decided to post the idea with plenty of time to spare, since learning songs in foreign languages (especially unfamiliar ones) can take MONTHS.  Hopefully, if we all know our parts well enough by a few days before con, syncing up our vocals so we sound good on the solos AND the group/duet/trio parts will be easier. (and hopefully the idea will get enough interest that the group can be set up before the deadline to sign up for karaoke).

I'd actually prefer to do it during the cosplay contest, with english translate subtitles on a screen behind us (above our heads), but the three minute time limit for cosplay contests kind of kills that idea, aside from the fact that it really is just karaoke.  >.<

The main reason I want to do it for the contest is so that more people will hear it.  Not all that many people go to open mic unless they're really interested in singing. Lots of people go to watch the contests because they're interesting (and less likely to kill your ears).

Offline tofutakeout

• Bunnygirl
    • Deviantart
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2009, 12:10:49 am »
I think the rule is if you have 5 people or more you get more minutes. so if need be that can happen.
da/tumblr

Offline hikaru_maxwell

• Catgirl
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2009, 12:27:34 am »
Nice.  But would they let us do a karaoke-type thing at the cosplay? And the big question is whether or not they'd let us play the video (on the screen) behind us so that the audience can read the subtitles. 

(I think the choreography -aka, the way we move our bodies/arms as we sing- would be dependent on which character we're cosplaying as, individually, and is up to the individual cosplayer to decide.  As Yuna, I plan to sing and "act" the way she did during the 1000 words concert, with those types of arm and body movements. If we were doing it for the cosplay contest itself, it wouldn't feel right to just stand there and sing without at least doing some actual movement, since cosplay is really about acting. ....>.< maybe I should just stick to planning for the Hybrid Karaoke after all.)

Offline tofutakeout

• Bunnygirl
    • Deviantart
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2009, 12:29:49 am »
I think they've had skit's with a screen in the background doing something so I think that's no problem but yeah the real dilemma is will they let us do this.

yeah the karaoke contest seems best fit. we could actually put some movements to it but they'd probably want us to lip sync instead which is also okay but I like the idea of actually singing better. 
da/tumblr

Offline hikaru_maxwell

• Catgirl
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2009, 12:33:01 am »
Me, too.  I prefer to sing it, instead of just playing the voices of the actual artists in the background.  For one thing, it would look really weird to have Yuna sound like, say, Xiah. 0.o

Offline tofutakeout

• Bunnygirl
    • Deviantart
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2009, 12:36:46 am »
Well we could also record ourselves singing it then use that and then do a performance for the cosplay contest instead. Then it would be our actual voices.
da/tumblr

Offline hikaru_maxwell

• Catgirl
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2009, 12:39:22 am »
True, but we'd have to do the recording right before the con, so that our voices sync up (or find someone with massive skillz to do it for us), and then add the audio track to the subtitle track that I'd make. >.>

Man, that sounds....difficult. Though it would be pretty neat.

edit: hmm.  If we're going to do it that way, I might decide to make an amv (for the background with the subs) using the characters we're cosplaying as.  (heck, I might just do it anyway, for the fun).  Of course, that would mean a. knowing what character each member will be playing, and b. knowing who will sing which part.

I'm tempted to take the C parts, though my voice is actually more suited for H or M.  if only because the part about "turning your back on the meaning of the story" is sung by C.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2009, 12:49:07 am by hikaru_maxwell »