Author Topic: Anime Shows you AVOID, Don't Like, or tried a bit of and BAILED  (Read 32075 times)

Offline melchizedek

• Bunnygirl
    • Don't play with fire
Re: Anime Shows you AVOID, Don't Like, or tried a bit of and BAILED
« Reply #50 on: March 17, 2009, 04:27:13 pm »
kyou kara maoh, as soon as the two guys got engaged it was over

I also made it through air though by the end I knew I should have bailed long ago.

Gakuen Alice, kiddy, but thought the powers were cool, I watched almost all of it but should have bailed a whole lot earlier.  Little girls obsessing about others girls meh.

Michiko no Hatchin . . . I'm kinda torn, it's done by the same people that ergo proxy but am really having trouble getting into it.

Tetsuwan Birdy Decode. .  .  Watched the first two eps, I really liked the old old series that is almost impossible to get now but I dunno, animation quality is a whole lot better but plot is SOOO SLOW compared to the first.

Rave Master . .  .  didn't seem to be going anywhere, like every ep was a mini plot to itself

« Last Edit: March 17, 2009, 05:01:30 pm by melchizedek »
Yaoi crossplay... is actually Yuri.

Offline melchizedek

• Bunnygirl
    • Don't play with fire
« Reply #51 on: March 17, 2009, 04:48:39 pm »

Ergot Doxy (Ergo Proxy) was another one I couldn't finish. Cool surface-sailing vessel, but the main dark character gets saddled with a weenie-boy, and I punched 'eject' after about 7 eps. She should have ended up adventuring with a guy like Negotiator Yugo or something, or fallen in with the Black Lagoon crowd.

Also (imho) FLAG = FAIL.
It's a pity, weenie boy is completely different by the end

Offline Deviant Spider

• Chibi
« Reply #52 on: March 17, 2009, 04:55:54 pm »
Ergo Proxy is still on my list to watch...and no one can change that  :P
2008 Adult Content Coordinator
2009 Adult Content Coordinator
Onyxspider@gmail.com

Offline jaybug

• Catgirl
« Reply #53 on: March 17, 2009, 06:35:00 pm »
I must have been a lot drifty last night. I should have included these statements in with what I wrote then.

On Naruto, I find many good examples of leadership lessons, and some useful tidbits that most shows just don't bother with. And I think that having the title character being so obviously different from his stated goal, just makes it that much more, hmmm, most people are not born leaders, and he is born to be the opposite of a leader. So I find it appealing that he does do everything it takes to become the leader he desires to be, even though it is not in his nature to be anything like a leader. It's like cilantro, the Doors, or Bob Sagett, you either love it op you don't.

So would you consider Light Yagami's methodology to be that of a fascist? Or what other type of political persuasion would you classify him? It seems that if it isn't freedom, it's fascism in anime. I guess WWII is still not so far back in time for them, eh?
Have Fun

Jay

Offline Negima

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #54 on: March 18, 2009, 11:14:56 pm »
Michiko no Hatchin . . . I'm kinda torn, it's done by the same people that ergo proxy but am really having trouble getting into it.
How far are you in the series?

Offline Prinz Eugen

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #55 on: March 22, 2009, 11:36:15 am »
Quote from: jaybug
So would you consider Light Yagami's methodology to be that of a fascist? Or what other type of political persuasion would you classify him? It seems that if it isn't freedom, it's fascism in anime. I guess WWII is still not so far back in time for them, eh?
Neat questions. First, fascism goes WAY back before WWII - look on the back of a dime and you'll see a fasces a Roman symbol of police/military control over the people. The bundle of rods is wrapped in a manner that can be unravelled quickly so that Roman soldiers could pass them out and beat the crowds or rioters. (Wounds from edged weapons became infected and that was usually a death sentence until the 1930s when antibiotics were discovered...) Bludgeoning and clubbing people kept them alive so you could force them to work or steal whatever profits they might make for their own families (tribute.)

The Death Note book explores the question 'what would one do if he had an absolute power?' Yagami does not have powers to heal or create, teleport things, or resurrect the dead - and his powers to force people in to do things is only tied in with their impending death. Compare this with Lelouche's Geass power: you can make any one person follow one spoken order, once. But those people don't have to die unless they are ordered to their deaths. That too is fascism: I speak (or write) the order, you must obey, and especially: "I am above my own laws, and accountable to none." This last condition sets the scene to observe absolute power corrupt absolutely. [Lord Acton.]
Without spoiling things, it is debatable about whether Lelouche's final acts are about absolute tyranny or noble sacrifice. (No spoilers plzz -  it's an awesome ending!)

I guess WWII is still not so far back in time for them, eh?
Gee, let's see:
Strike Witches
Zipang
Grave of the Fireflies

...and German MG42s in Jin Roh, plus
I just saw the Browning M2 .50cal in Ride Back,
 even though these are supposedly futuristic shows.

There's also a bunch of vintage WWII weapons in Coyote Ragtime Show.

Quote from: danayoki
xxxHOLiC. Argh. It was...interesting. But seriously, there's not much storyline to it, ...
CLAMP's 11 to 12 head high characters looked spindly to me. Again we have a spineless doormat as a central male character. But Yuko's traditional costumes look cool at times. Mokona is an annoying plushie target as always. More could have been done with the setting and plot, but it's CLAMP, so it's slow, diffuse, and generally inconclusive. Take the same characters and hand them over to Studio Pierrot or Gonzo, THEN see what happens...

Offline Brendan2

• Cabbit
« Reply #56 on: March 23, 2009, 08:53:14 am »
I tryed watching diff animes but now I have a standerd or else I wont watch it and bail like.
If the main chars a dude but looks to much like a chick or is a chick acting like a dude.
No fighting.
No epic story line.
Guys that look to much like girls.

I almost bailed out of deathnote on the episode where L rubs lights feet but I was like ok anymore of this im not watching this anymore.

Offline Blue Leader

• Chibi
    • Blue Banshees Productions
« Reply #57 on: March 24, 2009, 02:30:58 pm »
I tend to like most anime I watch, except I'm really sick and tired of all of the game series-- for example, Yu-Gi-Oh, Bakugon, and all of the others. They've been done to death and yet a new one seems to pop up every so often... ugh.
I also don't like the ones that have crude, stupid jokes (*cough cough* Shin Chan *cough cough*), and I can't watch the ones that have a lot of blood and gore... I just can't watch extremely bloody ones...

This Year's Cosplay:
Jedi Knight, Heat Guy J(?)

Offline tofutakeout

• Bunnygirl
    • Deviantart
« Reply #58 on: March 25, 2009, 04:17:02 pm »
I tryed watching diff animes but now I have a standerd or else I wont watch it and bail like.
If the main chars a dude but looks to much like a chick or is a chick acting like a dude.
No fighting.
No epic story line.
Guys that look to much like girls.

I almost bailed out of deathnote on the episode where L rubs lights feet but I was like ok anymore of this im not watching this anymore.

I go by the same standards pretty much. I usually tend to stop watching series after they become mainstream or they start to be played on tv like on cartoon network as well. except the old stuff(how I miss you cowboy bebop)
da/tumblr
Pull the trigger, pull the trigger, pull the trigger. BOOM

Offline Prinz Eugen

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #59 on: April 02, 2009, 08:31:41 am »
Quote from: tofutakeout
I usually tend to stop watching series after they become mainstream or they start to be played on tv like on cartoon network as well.
Me too - that's the "zOMG - my Mom is on twitter" indicator that it's time to move on to something new: Once an anime has been dubbed into English and is showing on US cable - it's jumped the shark for me. At the very least it means it's like two years old, which for anime is the 'starting to grow stubble, needs a shave' point in its market life.

Offline Daxe

• Chibi
    • my myspace
« Reply #60 on: April 02, 2009, 04:40:23 pm »
Quote from: tofutakeout
I usually tend to stop watching series after they become mainstream or they start to be played on tv like on cartoon network as well.
Me too - that's the "zOMG - my Mom is on twitter" indicator that it's time to move on to something new: Once an anime has been dubbed into English and is showing on US cable - it's jumped the shark for me. At the very least it means it's like two years old, which for anime is the 'starting to grow stubble, needs a shave' point in its market life.

:cough: CowboyBebop :cough:

Offline Mr Silmero

• Catgirl
« Reply #61 on: April 02, 2009, 08:55:00 pm »
ehh the whole mainstream thing is a cruel mistress cause on some things you really should not bail just because it got popular but on the other hand if it gets too popular (Bleach) then it never ends and yada yada yada.

tl;dr- becoming mainstream is a two sided coin.

Offline Mister_manji

• Chibi
« Reply #62 on: April 03, 2009, 05:47:58 pm »
I think that its pathetic that people bail on something because it gets popular. How do you discuss it with others if they've never seen it? Just because its mainstream doesn't mean it's not a good show. Do not, however, misconstrue this as a thumbs-up for the same old crap that comes out each year with the same plots and character designs, but different visuals (I'm looking at you, shounen!)

In short: if you like it, watch it! If you don't, don't! But for god's sake, do it because you want to, not because others do or do not watch/like/know about it!
K-Con attendee 2004, 2006
2007 Programming Staff
2008 Programming Staff
2009 Special Events Manager
2010 Assistant Director of Operations
2011 Assistant Director of Operations

Offline Higuma

• Catgirl
    • My anime list
« Reply #63 on: April 03, 2009, 08:17:23 pm »
I think that its pathetic that people bail on something because it gets popular. How do you discuss it with others if they've never seen it? Just because its mainstream doesn't mean it's not a good show. Do not, however, misconstrue this as a thumbs-up for the same old crap that comes out each year with the same plots and character designs, but different visuals (I'm looking at you, shounen!)

In short: if you like it, watch it! If you don't, don't! But for god's sake, do it because you want to, not because others do or do not watch/like/know about it!
I agree. I was watching Death Note before It got all mainstream, but once it became popular it did not change how good of a show it was just how many other people were watching it. (Because it was a good show)
Im not going to stop watching Football because its the #1 in America!

Offline Radien

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #64 on: April 03, 2009, 10:55:07 pm »
For me, the quintessential case of a series I tried a bit and then bailed is Inu Yasha.

The reason being: I put a LOT of effort into getting myself up to speed on the series.  It first came out a little while before I joined the U of O anime club, and I wanted to catch up to where the rest of the club because it looked cool.  I borrowed a friend's manga and read about 16 issues so I could join in watching the series.

After I caught up, I watched it for quite awhile. But it just never ends. When a progressive series goes on for a long long time, you instinctively expect the ending to be better and better.  After awhile I realized that no ending could possibly be good enough to watch that many episodes (or seasons), and I lost interest.

Oh, Ms. Takahashi... how many great new series could you have created during the last twelve years you've been churning out Inu Yasha episodes?...

Other examples of "bailout" anime for me:

- The Twelve Kingdoms (too much like Fushigi Yuugi)
- Naruto (lost interest long before it was popular)
- Star Ocean EX (watched the whole series except the last episode, strangely)

...I'm sure there are many more.

I definitely agree with you, but I wanted to point out one valid reason why a show going mainstream can be a bad thing (for the enjoyment of the show, that is): often when an anime goes to cable, the translators start to become much more "free-minded" with the localization. The dubbing is often cheesier and sometimes sub-par, and in worst case scenarios they "play" around with the episode order and mutate the plot.

Yeah, I know, at that point it's usually better to buy/rent the DVDs and switch to subs. That usually solves the problem, but sometimes it doesn't.

Fortunately for me, I'm so uncool that my top anime picks ALMOST NEVER go mainstream! ;D This makes me sound all snotty and indy, but in actuality it's kind of annoying for me.
A member of Eugene Cosplayers. Come hang out with us.

Kumori Con 2010 Cosplays:

Link (The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess)
Apollo Justice

Offline shanime_panda

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #65 on: April 09, 2009, 12:45:21 pm »
so far I've bailed on One Piece [as soon as they changed the voices], Bleach, after they left the soul society for the first time [to me, that was the end], recently I bailed on Naruto [the manga version], and I've been wavering back and forth with Elfin Lied...I want to quit but eventually I get bored and pick it up again. lol.
I also didn't make it through the first episode of Code Geass, and only made it to episode 3 of Loveless.
..not really sure why people like those...

wow. I never realized how many I've given up on. haha.

Offline Man of the Public

• Catgirl
« Reply #66 on: April 09, 2009, 07:22:15 pm »
@Panda
Wait, You liked the 4kids dub?
That's just odd.

Also just watch the subs for One Piece the voices are better.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2009, 07:23:48 pm by Man of the Public »

Offline Charlatan

• Cabbit
« Reply #67 on: April 09, 2009, 07:48:05 pm »
I just didn't like Hellsing. 10 years ago I would have loved it, though. :P

I also stay away from anything Ghost In The Shell except for the first manga. Not entirely sure why. I think it was the increased SSSEXXX in later iterations.

I had to soldier through the first season of Nanoha to be interested enough to watch the second one. The first 2/3rds was dull/slow/creepy.
This space for rent.

Offline shanime_panda

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #68 on: April 09, 2009, 07:52:44 pm »
@Panda
Wait, You liked the 4kids dub?
That's just odd.

Also just watch the subs for One Piece the voices are better.

When I was 12  ;D
that was before I knew about the japanese versions and all the censoring

• Catgirl
« Reply #69 on: April 10, 2009, 06:48:14 am »
@Panda
Well that's understandable.

• Catgirl
« Reply #70 on: April 11, 2009, 08:42:09 am »
@Dana
I do believe that's something everyone can agree on.

Offline xxxchihiroxxx

• Bunnygirl
    • My deviantart
« Reply #71 on: April 12, 2009, 08:46:14 pm »
oh god....

hmm well theres a few I droped not becuase I didnt like them but because I didnt have the time

Sienkuku Monogatary is one I really want to pick up again.

I droped Bleach round 100 and I want to start again jsut becasuse I did like it though it was FULL of fillers.

I dont really drop anime much, I have a bad habbit of forgeting it sometimes but i'll alwayhs come back. really its because even ifits bad I get adicted and I want to know the rest of it SO BADLY ussualy what I tend to do is if I really cant stand it (naruto) I'll switch to the manga, its ussualy further along and fillers are more entertaining and if you really dont want them you can just skim it. I am reading the naruto manga cause everyone is all "narutos so great" I dont have time to sort through 200 sum episodes but I can slowly read through the manga at my own pace, read like a chapter a night and I'm happy as a clam.

there are a few series I REALLY wanted to drop but couldnt out of curiosity.

Elfen Lied. I loved it in the end but my god that was a BLOODBATH

Higurashi- still in the middle of this one. to be honest its damn confusing as hell. and again it creeps me out to no end.

returning with a vengeance to K con~

Offline Blue Leader

• Chibi
    • Blue Banshees Productions
« Reply #72 on: April 14, 2009, 09:58:12 pm »
A few more...

One series I just could not get into was Code Geass. Ugh, I really, really tried to like that series... but I just couldn't. I hated the main character and the story was... not really to my liking. I wanted to like it, I tried to like it, but I just couldn't.

Death Note was like this as well. I wanted to like it but I just couldn't. Though I did watch the entire stupid series... heh heh. XD

Maps. Again, just couldn't get into it. Okay, it's a short series... really short. But even so, I just couldn't get into it.

There was another one, Dog Warriors or something like that... It sounded interesting but boy did it suck... and bad. The story was just so hard to follow, nothing really made any sense in it, and they'd skip around from scene-to-scene without really making any sense or explaining what was going on. The series felt like a complete mess with a sub-par story.
Good thing I only bought the first volume.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2009, 09:59:35 pm by Blue Leader »

This Year's Cosplay:
Jedi Knight, Heat Guy J(?)

Offline lightbeam911

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #73 on: May 12, 2009, 06:34:42 pm »
I love the manga of D Gray Man, but I couldn't make it past episode 40 in the anime. Once they threw LuluBell in there, I was forcing myself to watch.
Naruto basically killed itself. Not much explanation nessacery.
I'm still working on Bleach. I think it has potential (though it may be LONG past that point), but it just drags in all the wrong places.
Kaiji. I know. I'm sorry. It may have been a fabulous story, but I really couldn't get past the art. It may be small minded, but art is a big part of anime for me.
Hayate No Gotoku. I got to episode 4. It just... Didn't make it.

Offline jaybug

• Catgirl
« Reply #74 on: May 13, 2009, 08:28:09 pm »
I wonder if I should include all the series that Netflix hasn't gotten that one disc that went missing. It would also be easier to find those series, as they are still on my Netflix queue. I think there are more than 50 discs that I am pretty sure I am never going to see.

I did just bail on two series. One; Ouran High School Host Club, just wasn't what I felt like wading through, and two; Noir, if I have to watch little girl assassins, gimme Gunslinger Girl instead. So I guess I can only handle so much shoujo material. And I haven't bothered to fully understand why I returned Noir so quickly, after only a few episodes. I just went with my feelings, that said no, please no.
Have Fun

Jay

Offline melchizedek

• Bunnygirl
    • Don't play with fire
« Reply #75 on: May 14, 2009, 06:16:19 am »
I hear ya with Noir, I bailed on that too it just wasn't doing it for me.

Offline iluvshijimi

• Bunnygirl
    • My deviantART
« Reply #76 on: May 14, 2009, 09:51:01 am »
I loved Noir!

I don't like Hanasakeru Seishonen, Phantom: Requiem of a Phantom and Macross Frontier.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2009, 09:51:21 am by iluvshijimi »

Offline strayanimus

• Cabbit
« Reply #77 on: June 06, 2009, 05:04:42 pm »
Bleach. Too long, no progress.
Ghost Hunt. The characters were utterly unlikeable.
DNAngel. I remember liking the manga, sort of, but the anime was awful.
Gantz. Wonderful manga, but the anime was stripped down its bloody gorn center.
Kyou Kara Maou. Once I realized that nothing ever actually happened, I stopped watching.
COSTUME PROGRESS REPORT
Spider Splicer - 50%
Visas Marr - 0%
Need more theatrical cosmetics. >|

Offline Kagome219

• Bunnygirl
    • Bloggin' lolol~
« Reply #78 on: June 06, 2009, 09:45:08 pm »
For the most part I like manga versions better than anime. It feels more like I am part of the story and I can also read a whole volume in thirty minutes that is equivalent to like four episodes. So for the most part, if I really like a manga, it doesn't mean I like the anime as much.

Anyways, the one thing I can not stand no matter what it is and I will NEVER be able to stand it, is ANYTHING mecha. I'm sorry. I just can't take it. Even Mega Man I can't take. Dx  I tried the manga of Gundam Seed and I was able to read one volume, but couldn't continue. x.x

Also, the stereo-typical school girl ones like Lucky Star, MoSH, Hidamari Days, and Minami-Ke make me want to scream and hit my head so hard. I'm really sorry, but I just can not take it. The only one I'm grown close to is K-ON!, but it's not the school girl thing I like. d:  Oh, and add neko girls to this as well.

Some that are in the future and sci-fi just bug me too. Actually, most all of them except for Chobits. Can't take it. ><

And sure there are some shows that I don't like just because I can't get in to them, but for the most part, these are the ones that really grind my gears.
K-con '11 Cosplays:
NO, Thank You!!Mio (K-ON!!) - 100%
Haruhi Suzumiya (TMoHS) - 100%
Sollux (Homestuck) - 100%
Crystal (Pokemon Crystal Version) - 100%
Don't say "lazy"!Mio (K-ON!) - 100%
Alice (Pandora Hearts) - 100%
Haruhi Fujioka (OHSHC) - 100%

Offline StarryShay

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #79 on: June 06, 2009, 09:47:19 pm »
Ah, this thread makes me sad. >.<
Um, I think one of mine is Bleach.
Sooooo many fillers. xD

Offline NightLotus

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #80 on: June 08, 2009, 08:41:32 am »
Bleach: boring
Kaleido Star: I couldn't watch all the episodes and got lost after coming back in the middle
Tsubasa: the books are SO MUCH better

and a few more i'm blanking on right now! ^^

Offline Dapan Chan

• Cabbit
    • Deviantart Account
« Reply #81 on: June 10, 2009, 05:58:05 pm »
Kyou Kara Maou::: I tried to watch it... at first I was like "It's going to be funny!!!" but then it wasn't. Then I was like "Hey at least the guys are somewhat hot!" but that still failed to keep me...

Bleach::: The neverending stooorrryyy~~~
*coughs lightly*
Anyway I really love that series, I truly do, but it honestly felt like the never-ending story. I stopped reading it and now I can't jump back in.

Naruto::: It's another never-ending story issue... my attention span is equal to a baby's... then again, if that's the case, that should have kept me in- *is shot*
LOST MY FUJIFILM FINEPIX J10!!!
I put it on the missing board and accidentally labeled it a Nikon.
PLEASE CONTACT IF FOUND

Offline DemonSpawn

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #82 on: June 17, 2009, 08:42:40 am »
When I was younger I was all "Yaaaayyy sailor moooon!" (Yes, just like that.)
But like a year ago I tried to watch the dub and I was so grimacy the whole time. So, dub Sailor Moon I guess. I know I like parts of it but wow, that voice.
I miss 2010.

Offline Hidamari

• Catgirl
    • Reddsause- fandubs, parodies, and then some!
« Reply #83 on: June 17, 2009, 09:47:49 am »

Also, the stereo-typical school girl ones like Lucky Star, MoSH, Hidamari Days, and Minami-Ke make me want to scream and hit my head so hard. I'm really sorry, but I just can not take it. The only one I'm grown close to is K-ON!, but it's not the school girl thing I like. d:  Oh, and add neko girls to this as well.

Did you seriously group Haruhi as "Typical School Girl Anime"? Because it's anything but xD
Sakuracon~

Offline melchizedek

• Bunnygirl
    • Don't play with fire
« Reply #84 on: June 17, 2009, 11:12:20 am »
I couldn't get into ghost hunt either.  As for Bleach, it started out good, but then really lost traction.  I liked up until soul society after that it was too dragonball z, and then next it was a bunch of meaningless side story

Haruhi is good, although I totally didn't get the ending.  The second series looks to be promising
« Last Edit: June 17, 2009, 11:13:16 am by melchizedek »

Offline WhiteRoseMarie

• Cabbit
    • My Art
« Reply #85 on: June 28, 2009, 03:58:18 pm »
There's....a few...Here's a list of what I can think of. Some have reasons, some don't.

Naruto (I only watch it if I'm at a hotel and it's one of the only things on. Then I make fun of it.)
Bleach
One Piece

Shamanic Princess (x.x; I tried. But it made feel ill and I just did not understand a thing that was going on.)
Cyborg 009 (Don't know if it qualifies but I'm putting it up here anyways)
The Melancholy Of Haruhi Suzumiya (I tried! It was just...confusing after awhile)
Ghost In The Shell (The ill feeling again! Except both me and my friend tried to grab the remote to change the channel)

Vampire Knight Guilty (I struggled through Vampire Knight, saw the first episode of this one and ran for the hills.)

Pokemon with anything after the title (It gets old and it was just added to so much.)
YuGiOh with anything after the title (Same as above. The fact that you kinda know what's going to happen next and the way things were starting to contradict each other....It just didn't appeal to me to force myself through another season.)

Most Mecha Animes. <.<; I don't know why. There's an exception for some but yeah...

Offline Hitokiri Kenshin

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #86 on: June 28, 2009, 09:01:43 pm »
Magical Doremi.  Thought the theme song was cute and catchy, but the show was little girls' cartoon that didn't hold my interest. 

Offline WhiteRoseMarie

• Cabbit
    • My Art
« Reply #87 on: June 29, 2009, 01:49:59 pm »
Magical Doremi.  Thought the theme song was cute and catchy, but the show was little girls' cartoon that didn't hold my interest. 

Oh! I remember that one...I think the only reason why I watched it was because it came on early enough for me to forget what was going on xD

Offline The_Geek

• Chibi
    • My Deviant Art
« Reply #88 on: June 29, 2009, 04:49:16 pm »
Fruits Basket- It's just shallow. I read the manga and it isn't much better either.
Bleach- Anime had too much filler. Lost interest during Bount arc, and by how much people are posting it here I'm guessing it didn't get much better.
D.Gray-Man- It's good, but the pause in the manga and the drop-off point in the anime were enough to have both my friend and I rip our hair out. Just wait till the series is finished before you read it. Or you will be bald too...
Yakuza Girl- Cliche crack... If thats possible...
Negima!- Shallow plotline.

All depression has its roots in self-pity, and all self-pity is rooted in people taking themselves too seriously.
                                + Tom Robbins

Offline StarryShay

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #89 on: June 29, 2009, 04:51:45 pm »
Fruits basket is shallow? D':

Offline The_Geek

• Chibi
    • My Deviant Art
« Reply #90 on: June 29, 2009, 06:39:58 pm »
Fruits basket is shallow? D':
*sigh* Just my opinion. The characters rarely have real DEPTH, you know?  :-\ The concept is good, but the plotline and the way it was executed was boring. Then there was the whole "There's someone for everyone" theme. In general I don't mind the trope, but the way it was wrote out ended up tacky and last minute. The anime doesn't even cover half of the series either. Those bits together really killed the series for me. Kind of like Twilight *shudder*
All depression has its roots in self-pity, and all self-pity is rooted in people taking themselves too seriously.
                                + Tom Robbins

Offline CC3

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #91 on: July 14, 2009, 07:46:12 pm »
Let's see..

Naruto- Got to like 50 episodes then got really tired of it. I've actually been reading the latest chapters guess what I missed? NOTHING :D! I've already decided it will have a cheesy ending where Naruto will become Hokage after a fight in which Sasuke will sacrifice himself in a fight against the bad people and will be redeemed in the eyes of the village people. Naruto will be depressed but Sakura will tell him it was "For the best" and all that crap and she will never be able to get over him so Naruto will marry Hinata, the end.

Lucky star- Bailed after the first ten minutes were about food.

The Melancholy of Haruhi something or another- What was her last name? Anyway I watched it till the end, thought the murder on the island was interesting. Couldn't get over how annoying Haruhi was though and the lack of chemistry between her and what'shisface. (I'm terrible at remembering names of things I don't like.

Fruits Basket- Watched the first episode. Thought "Hmm that's nice." Never really watched another.

One Piece- I don't dislike it. It just got to weird for me at some point.

Bleach- I don't remember at what point in the series (near the begining though) but I just stopped caring

There are a lot more but I just don't remember them.

Offline Higuma

• Catgirl
    • My anime list
« Reply #92 on: July 19, 2009, 09:32:16 am »
Some of you on here can be way to pickey. And if that statement offended you then you know who you are. I dropped Final Fantasy Unlimited after about 6 eps. I knew it had bad reviews but I figured I would give it a try. Bad animation(no shading), horrible cg animation and I hoped the story line or characters would keep me interested but no go. My 6 year old may like it but thats about it.

Offline EveofAbyss

• Bunnygirl
    • Facebook
« Reply #93 on: July 19, 2009, 09:50:25 am »
haha, I hear your complaints about FF:U, but I still love it. I don't know why really, I just think the prospect of seeing even a little bit of what I love about FF brought out in a new way excites me (even if the bulk of it is rather bland/unappealing). Ultimately, though, I really liked the show and wouldn't sell my copy for anything.

Animation aside, I liked the inclusion of the summons, even if they were veeery different than they are in the games. Was still cool. And the magun idea, I liked that. Yeah, it gets my appreciation.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2009, 09:50:41 am by EveofAbyss »

Buy my book of poems!
Lord Otaku commands you!

Offline jaybug

• Catgirl
« Reply #94 on: July 19, 2009, 09:01:59 pm »
There is a new show for this summer, starring a character named Cao Cao that I can do without. It's ancient Chinese history anime. I probably would have liked this back when I was 8-12.

I am currently trying to avoid having to watch too much magical girl anime. lol

I have come close to bailing on When They Cry this past week. After disc one, and everyone dies, I thought why watch more? Then I think I figured out what was going on, but I could be wrong, but at least it kept me watching.
Have Fun

Jay

Offline Higuma

• Catgirl
    • My anime list
« Reply #95 on: July 19, 2009, 09:09:21 pm »
haha, I hear your complaints about FF:U, but I still love it. I don't know why really, I just think the prospect of seeing even a little bit of what I love about FF brought out in a new way excites me (even if the bulk of it is rather bland/unappealing). Ultimately, though, I really liked the show and wouldn't sell my copy for anything.

Animation aside, I liked the inclusion of the summons, even if they were veeery different than they are in the games. Was still cool. And the magun idea, I liked that. Yeah, it gets my appreciation.
Because it was Final Fantasy I really did try to like it.

Offline EveofAbyss

• Bunnygirl
    • Facebook
« Reply #96 on: July 19, 2009, 10:47:13 pm »
Yup, but I certainly can understand how it would be hard for a lot of anime viewers, overall it is a pretty immature anime, but even still, I dig it enough to keep it, heh

Buy my book of poems!
Lord Otaku commands you!

Offline MiriaRose

• Bunnygirl
    • The Kingdom of Heaven
« Reply #97 on: July 20, 2009, 01:01:52 am »
The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya. D: I couldn't stand the title character long enough to see her get better. Naruto, I just got sick of trying to keep up with it. Bleach was on the same arc for over 100 chapters, and it was boring me anyways. The Soul Society arc was awesome, though. One Piece just bugged me for some reason, too. Inuyasha was just repetitive, and so was Sailor Moon. (I managed 3 and a half seasons of that before I dropped it.)

There are actually a lot of animes I DO like, but I never end up watching the entire thing. Noir was good, but I never actually bothered to find the second episode. >.> I liked Les Miserables: Shoujo Cosette, but Veoh only had up to 8ish subbed in English. (they had up to 25 in Spanish, though. D< )
"Would you kindly. ."

Offline jaybug

• Catgirl
« Reply #98 on: July 21, 2009, 10:13:36 pm »
I just bailed on When They Cry in the middle of disc 6. Part of it was I didn't want to see the story from viewpoint number five, after watching the first four. Part of it was that I don't think a reasonable person will turn to the dark side, not if they weren't somewhat predisposed already. Maybe I just am not enamored with psychopathic behavior. But a large part was I got a couple of Story of Saiunkoku in the mail, and I really like that show.
Have Fun

Jay

Offline Kimiski

• Bunnygirl
    • Kimiski's Artwork
« Reply #99 on: July 27, 2009, 04:10:20 am »
Naruto, think I watched 5 eps.
Bleach... bailed around episode 200 something, couldn't take anymore stupid filler. First season was cool though.
Lucky Star, couldn't make it past the conversation on nothing but FOOD
Boogiepop Phantom- no real reason
Saiyuki- Again no real reason
Eternal Gift Rainbow

No robot fighting
I'm sure theres more I cant remember

@__@ Fruits Basket was amazing! The manga was much better of course, great story telling.

Attendee since: 2004
Volunteer since: 2010
Staffer since: 2012