Author Topic: Admiration overwelms the envy, a PS3 that's WORTH it  (Read 6935 times)

Offline dshwshr55

• Chibi
Admiration overwelms the envy, a PS3 that's WORTH it
« on: February 24, 2009, 05:51:26 pm »
I just traded in my 80G PS3 for a 60G. Downgrade, you ask?! No, no, this is the first limited edition model of PS3. I found a used system, and at GameStop no less. At least they are way more reliable than some b-rate, third hand pawn shop.

What does all this mean? Backwards compatibility! I am playing Legend of Mana (PS1 cd) on my PS3 right now! XD The only other people I know who have this system is the ones who had $700+ pocket cash.

Offline KogaRyu

• Catgirl
Re: Admiration overwelms the envy, a PS3 that's WORTH it
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2009, 10:42:24 pm »
Wow was it really $700 at launch? I don't remember paying that much.
Team Koga

Offline dshwshr55

• Chibi
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2009, 03:18:00 am »
Yeah, I remember asking myself, "When did the 3DO come back into style?"

Offline EveofAbyss

• Bunnygirl
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2009, 10:20:34 am »
Why must it all be so complicated? What happened to just making one version and making it as nice and beneficial for the player as possible?

Buy my book of poems!
Lord Otaku commands you!

Offline makichan

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2009, 10:25:43 am »
That would be too easy, Eve.
They enjoy toying with everyone T_T
"I like the way you fire that gun."
"Thanks. I like the way you take a bullet."

Offline EveofAbyss

• Bunnygirl
    • Facebook
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2009, 10:27:16 am »
Yeeeah, lol.

*shakes fist*

Oh well, I've got a PS3, at least that's something. I haven't even had the time to explore it and see exactly what it is capable of yet, so I have no idea if it is reverse-compatible or what. Just toying around in the menu makes me feel like I'm completely out of touch. There is a ridiculous interface leap between the PS2 and 3, at least that's how I feel. Very lost, lol.

I'll get it though.

Buy my book of poems!
Lord Otaku commands you!

Offline dshwshr55

• Chibi
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2009, 02:13:58 pm »
Well, if you've had a PSP, they took a big reference from that interface. It's really user friendly once you go through and customize it.

Offline EveofAbyss

• Bunnygirl
    • Facebook
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2009, 03:16:32 pm »
eah, I've got a PSP, I recognized a lot of it from that, but there are still just a lot of new functions and mechanisms of the PS3 that I am totally foreign to, it feels like.

But yeah, I do like the customization factor. It's cool.

Buy my book of poems!
Lord Otaku commands you!

Offline superjaz

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2009, 08:16:12 pm »
well we got the 60g first release when it first came out for the price of 480$
superjaz, that is jaz with one z count'um ONE z!
Proud mom of 2 awesome kids

Offline dshwshr55

• Chibi
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2009, 08:21:13 pm »
My friend said it was $699 when he got it, I don't know whether that was with the insurance/warranty thing and/or tax.

I don't wanna say I got ripped off, but I got the system for over $400 as well. But like old cartridge games, they'll appreciate over time.

Offline DancingTofu

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2009, 10:12:51 pm »
It's because of how many people had to be shot, stabbed, and/or bludgeoned in order to get that PS3 to your friend.
moderators gonna moderate </shrug>

Offline Hawkeye

• Catgirl
« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2009, 11:04:29 pm »
Why must it all be so complicated? What happened to just making one version and making it as nice and beneficial for the player as possible?

Because Sony is retarded like that.  Hence the following youtube video:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KfmBzllkbUM
"Now I'll show you how real vampires do battle!"

Offline JeffT

• Administrator
    • Facebook
    • Google+
« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2009, 03:46:05 am »
Because Sony is retarded like that.  Hence the following youtube video:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KfmBzllkbUM

I watched the start of the video. I don't think that's very fair to the PS3. At least its hardware is the usual level of reliability that we would expect from consumer electronics, unlike the Xbox 360, with its comical, oversize AC adapter (this is what "Xbox huge" means, people), disc-scratching problems, and general failure problems. Microsoft has had major problems with account deletion (making excuses about their deletion account policies which is irrelevant after the fact to the people who would and could have never logically expected such ridiculous policies), the same as they always have with anything connected to MSN (Hotmail, Passport or whatever they are calling it this week, etc.). Also, they have had major issues with Xbox Live downtime.

All the "important" features of the PS3 are in every SKU--even the lowest ones. (A PS2, which has near-perfect PS1 compatibility also, is under $100 at this point so for those who want it, I don't think it's a major loss not to be included in the PS3. Cost is the reason that most consoles over history have not had backward compatibility with their predecessors, and the removal of it in the PS3 is for the same reason.) In contrast, the Xbox 360 low SKUs have been significantly crippled.

It may not have made business sense to include a Blu-Ray player in the PS3 (though maybe it did? At least Blu-Ray did win out over HD DVD, and it was overall the superior format), but the PS3 actually does make an excellent Blu-Ray player as well as DVD player (this was not the case of the PS2's integrated player). The deinterlacing and upscaling in the PS3 rivals that of one of the leading set-top video processors, the DVDO VP50, and it features three types of digital noise reduction. It is great as a Blu-Ray player because of the frequent updates that support new features in the Blu-Ray spec.

My reaction to its original $600 price was probably the same shock as most people. I knew Sony said it would be "expensive", but I didn't expect that. But, the price came down, and I have to give credit for what they did right.
2023: Website Development Coordinator
2020-2022: Assistant Secretary, Website Development Coordinator
2011 - 2013, 2016-2019: Secretary
2007 - 2019: Website Manager
2015: Assistant Secretary
2014: Chair
2007 - 2009: Director of Publicity
2006: Copy Editor

Offline mattstotts46

• Sailor Scout
    • http://www.myspace.com/mattstotts
« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2009, 05:24:55 am »
I though about getting a 360 but then I watched this. The Red Rings of Death http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sris5X4BDqg&feature=related
Hello. My name is Matt. I like Twilight and the Jonas Brothers.

Offline superjaz

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2009, 09:15:59 am »
I asked my hubby and the 60g was 600$ when it came out,
I am sure tho that there were bundle packs for a bit more that came with a game and a and a controller and thats prob where the higher price came from.

Chris knew exactly what he wanted in a ps3 when we got it about 2 years ago or so,
he did have to bide his time he works at the fred myer main office 9paper pusher-ish), at that time fred myers employees recived a 10% discount off of merch (exept food) and a 20% off coupon every so often, and freddys were revamping the way they do their discounts and doing away with the 20% EXEPT for ONE last time

chris was there at first thing in the morning cuz 20% off 600 =120$ plus they had a coupon for an extra 15% off acessories

ah what a deal
 and we have
superjaz, that is jaz with one z count'um ONE z!
Proud mom of 2 awesome kids

Offline dshwshr55

• Chibi
« Reply #15 on: February 26, 2009, 02:04:52 pm »

At least its hardware is the usual level of reliability that we would expect from consumer electronics, unlike the Xbox 360, with its comical, oversize AC adapter (this is what "Xbox huge" means, people), disc-scratching problems, and general failure problems.

For some weird reason, I instantly thought "Vista"...

Offline Lynx

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #16 on: March 11, 2009, 01:18:58 am »
PS3 that can play my awesome Metal Gear Solid?????? HELL YEAH! Playstation 3 that can play my Devil May Cry???  YEAH!!! Oh wait. I think I just passed out. I swore someone said something about my Kingdom Hearts 1, Kingdom Hearts 2, AND RE: Chain of Memories. ALL PLAYABLE ON THE PS3!?!?!? X.X You had me at 'hello'.
[Insert Snazzy Signature Here]

Offline Kurokaizoku

• Chibi
« Reply #17 on: March 11, 2009, 05:46:46 pm »
We walked into fry's Christmas eve in 06 and they had a ton of PS3's for bundle purchase only. I believe we spent $780. But we also got 5 games with it. So we have a first release 60gb. I think we've traded in all the games we originally got though. The game selection was pretty crappy during first release.

[Moderator edit by JeffT: Removed inappropriate language (I saw you did that partially but I had to do it completely)]
« Last Edit: March 11, 2009, 09:08:14 pm by JeffT »
'07- Console Gaming staff. First con. Ever.
'08- Console Gaming staff.
'09- Console Gaming Manager.
'10- Console Gaming Assistant Manager
'11- Con Suite Manager
'12- Live Events Assistant Manager

Offline Brendan2

• Cabbit
« Reply #18 on: March 30, 2009, 12:58:34 pm »
my friend got a xbox360 around same time i got my ps3 hes broke and he spent more money on it then me he wants a ps3 realy badly:( spent 700 bucks on mine was it worth it? every damn penny

Offline EveofAbyss

• Bunnygirl
    • Facebook
« Reply #19 on: March 30, 2009, 01:15:22 pm »
So I've been playing FFVII (PS1) on my PS3, and I am certain we didn't spend more than $400 on it, heh.

Buy my book of poems!
Lord Otaku commands you!

Offline JeffT

• Administrator
    • Facebook
    • Google+
« Reply #20 on: March 30, 2009, 01:30:31 pm »
All PS3s are backward-compatible with PS1 software.
2023: Website Development Coordinator
2020-2022: Assistant Secretary, Website Development Coordinator
2011 - 2013, 2016-2019: Secretary
2007 - 2019: Website Manager
2015: Assistant Secretary
2014: Chair
2007 - 2009: Director of Publicity
2006: Copy Editor

Offline EveofAbyss

• Bunnygirl
    • Facebook
« Reply #21 on: March 30, 2009, 01:32:14 pm »
All PS3s are backward-compatible with PS1 software.

That's what I had thought.

Buy my book of poems!
Lord Otaku commands you!

Offline Blue Leader

• Chibi
    • Blue Banshees Productions
« Reply #22 on: March 31, 2009, 11:59:52 pm »
I have the limited edition PS3... I think I paid around $500 or $600 for it. But I've never had any regrets. I got it a couple weeks after Christmas when they first came out. Heh. :P

This Year's Cosplay:
Jedi Knight, Heat Guy J(?)