Author Topic: A Hong Kong Movie room at KC this year?  (Read 14068 times)

Offline cpardo

• Sailor Scout
    • Anime Web Turnpike
A Hong Kong Movie room at KC this year?
« on: March 10, 2005, 11:35:36 pm »
Hello.  I was wondering if there was any interest in having a video room at Kumori Con this year--a 24 hour one or however long the rooms or open.  I know one person contacted me about it, since I'm having one at Sakura Con in April.  Any comments welcomed.  If staff are interested let me know.  Me and my friend have a pretty good collection that's still growing.
Anipike.com/Ani-maid productions
cosplayer, reporter
Preparing to make a cosplay comeback...

Offline riverspree

• Chibi
    • http://www.kitzerkief.deviantart.com
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2005, 12:00:28 am »
I think that'd be pretty sweet....There are some real classics out there worth sharing.  :wink:
Kumo 2007 Cosplays
Aya Natsume & Natsumi Tsujimoto
We'll just see how well River can keep these two names straight...

Offline rarnom

• Chibi
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2005, 08:02:12 am »
*waves to cpardo*

Yeah, I was the one who talked to him about it.  I think that would be very cool and also something to introduce a new genre of film to people.

Also, I am not sure if I could help run the room, but I do have a very big collection of films (almost 200) that I would be more than happy to let you guys use to show if this did end up happening.

here is a link to my HK film list:
rarnom's big HK film list
The trick is not minding.

Offline cpardo

• Sailor Scout
    • Anime Web Turnpike
Hong Kong movie room
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2005, 05:59:24 pm »
Wow.  You got a lot of VCDs.  Probably as many as mine if not more.  We're using almost all DVDs for SC (one VHS), because of better picture and sound quality, plus almost all of them have on/off subtitles that are much easier to read.  Of course some movies aren't on DVD  or are hard to get, so VCD is always an option (they're legit VCDs, right?). We also have to take into consideration licenses: getting permission to show certain titles if they have a US distributor.  We hit a snag at first with that issue, but we worked with Tai Seng and got a few, plus also got free reign with many other HK discs.  We'll work on that more for next SC and KC if they're interested.  I'll contact staff somehow about the room.
cosplayer, reporter

Offline rarnom

• Chibi
Re: Hong Kong movie room
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2005, 10:21:30 pm »
Quote from: "cpardo"
Wow.  You got a lot of VCDs.  Probably as many as mine if not more.  We're using almost all DVDs for SC (one VHS), because of better picture and sound quality, plus almost all of them have on/off subtitles that are much easier to read.  Of course some movies aren't on DVD  or are hard to get, so VCD is always an option (they're legit VCDs, right?). We also have to take into consideration licenses: getting permission to show certain titles if they have a US distributor.  We hit a snag at first with that issue, but we worked with Tai Seng and got a few, plus also got free reign with many other HK discs.  We'll work on that more for next SC and KC if they're interested.  I'll contact staff somehow about the room.

Yeah, as far as I can tell basically all of them are legit.  I have like 1 or 2 that are obviously boots because they are in slim cases with laser copied covers and are on CD-R's...  I know for sure that my copy of 'Man Wanted' isn't legit.

Offline cpardo

• Sailor Scout
    • Anime Web Turnpike
HK Movie room/dvds
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2005, 11:38:14 pm »
you have several DVD titles we could probably use or hope to use. I've heard of all of them except Explosive City--who's in that?  Is Street Fury any good?  What version of Drunken Master 2 do you have on DVD--the domestic dubbed one, or something we don't know about, because we've looking for a Cantonese and subbed DVD of that one!

Let me know if you'd like to see what we have.
cosplayer, reporter

Offline rarnom

• Chibi
Re: HK Movie room/dvds
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2005, 10:28:27 am »
you have several DVD titles we could probably use or hope to use. I've heard of all of them except Explosive City--who's in that?  Is Street Fury any good?  What version of Drunken Master 2 do you have on DVD--the domestic dubbed one, or something we don't know about, because we've looking for a Cantonese and subbed DVD of that one!

Let me know if you'd like to see what we have.

Explosive City is pretty new, 2004.  I just got it this past week.
It has some pretty awesome HK and Japanese actors in it.  
Alex Fong is the main actor(who I loved in 'One Nite in Mongkok').  Simon Yam is also in it and Sonny Chiba hams it up as the villian.  The movie is pretty good.  I thought the film style and the look of it was pretty cool.

My version of Drunken Master II  just happens to be a Cantonese w/removable subs dvd version and it includes the 'cut' ending.  
Here is a link to hkflix.com that shows the version I have:
http://www.hkflix.com/xq/asp/filmID.821/qx/details.htm

I haven't gotten around to watching Street of Fury yet.  When I got it I read a couple reviews at HKMDB that were pretty lukewarm so I didn't put it on my priority list.

I inherited all of these movies from a friend last summer and he still passes them on to me as he gets them.  You might remember my first post at the HKMDB forums was me posting my list of movies and asking for people to help me see which ones were good or not.

You actually gave some of the best and most indepth reviews for me in the thread. :D

anyway, I am curious to see your list as well... :wink:

Offline cpardo

• Sailor Scout
    • Anime Web Turnpike
drunken master 2
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2005, 06:17:14 pm »
cool!  Thanks for the info!  I'll send you my list of stuff privately.  do you want to see just DVDs or EVERYTHING?--I warn ya, there's a lot!
cosplayer, reporter

Offline rarnom

• Chibi
Re: drunken master 2
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2005, 10:08:39 am »
cool!  Thanks for the info!  I'll send you my list of stuff privately.  do you want to see just DVDs or EVERYTHING?--I warn ya, there's a lot!

go ahead and PM me the whole list.   :D Sounds cool!

Offline cpardo

• Sailor Scout
    • Anime Web Turnpike
hkmdb
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2005, 12:17:24 am »
OH yeah!  I remember you listed all those titles and I told you which ones I've seen etc.  I heard there'll be some KC reps at Sakura Con, so maybe I can talk to them then and they can check out my room too.
cosplayer, reporter

Offline Dustin

• Catgirl
    • http://www.fanfiction.net/u/217341/
« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2005, 09:05:56 pm »
How about instead of just an HK movie room, we do a room focusing on all asian movies?

I have alot of good Japanese movies, including both Battle Royales.

Also, some people may not like it, but I enjoyed the live action Casshern movie (You'd be surprised how much it followed the anime!).

If we could do that, and make a collective list of all that are involved, I'd love to get involved and help out with this.

Offline cpardo

• Sailor Scout
    • Anime Web Turnpike
asian movie room
« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2005, 11:47:52 pm »
Yeah that'd be great too.  I talked to someone on KC staff and I think they were kind of leaning that way anyway, so we could have movies in blocks or maybe Japanese movies one day HK another.

I'm excited SC is only a couple of days away....!  I'll let you all know how the Hk movie room goes....
cosplayer, reporter

Offline rarnom

• Chibi
Re: asian movie room
« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2005, 04:17:24 pm »
I'm excited SC is only a couple of days away....!  I'll let you all know how the Hk movie room goes....

Could you post the viewing schedule?  Even though I can't make it up to SC I would love to see what you are showing...

Offline cpardo

• Sailor Scout
    • Anime Web Turnpike
movie schedule
« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2005, 06:19:14 pm »
Here's a link for all the schedules at SC.  the room's should be in there.

http://www.sakuracon.org/docs/sakuracon/2005PocketGuide-Final_Press.pdf

You need Adobe to view it.  If it doesn't work or if it's not in there, let me know.  I'll send you a schedule I made on a spreadsheet.
cosplayer, reporter

Offline rarnom

• Chibi
Re: movie schedule
« Reply #14 on: April 06, 2005, 08:58:39 pm »
That looks really cool.  I think I am unfamiliar with about half of the titles you are showing.  I am super curious to know what the *mystery* films are...  Can you post what they were once the con is over?

Offline Dustin

• Catgirl
Re: movie schedule
« Reply #15 on: April 06, 2005, 10:36:11 pm »
Quote from: "rarnom"
That looks really cool.  I think I am unfamiliar with about half of the titles you are showing.  I am super curious to know what the *mystery* films are...  Can you post what they were once the con is over?

Could ya post a list of whats being shown and when?

My PC doesn't have Adobe, and I don't have time to grab it, since I have to turn this off, and pack it up. Its coming with me to SC.

Offline cpardo

• Sailor Scout
    • Anime Web Turnpike
HK movie schedule.
« Reply #16 on: April 06, 2005, 11:39:12 pm »
I just sent the schedule to your email if that's all right.  And yeah I'll tell you about the secret screenings.  Probably Sunday night when I get back!
cosplayer, reporter

Offline Dustin

• Catgirl
Re: HK movie schedule.
« Reply #17 on: April 07, 2005, 01:45:15 am »
I just sent the schedule to your email if that's all right.  And yeah I'll tell you about the secret screenings.  Probably Sunday night when I get back!

Ummm, what do I open an XLS file with?

I've never heard of an XLS file.

Could I possibly get a TXT file version?

It'd be much easier to open and read.

Offline rarnom

• Chibi
Re: HK movie schedule.
« Reply #18 on: April 07, 2005, 07:57:33 am »
Quote from: "Dustin"
Ummm, what do I open an XLS file with?

I've never heard of an XLS file.

Could I possibly get a TXT file version?

It'd be much easier to open and read.

XLS is a spreadsheet.  You can use Microsoft Excel to open it.  Or I think Microsoft Works might be able to open it too, but it will definately work with Excel.

Offline cpardo

• Sailor Scout
    • Anime Web Turnpike
schedule
« Reply #19 on: April 07, 2005, 01:38:19 pm »
Okay.  I just PM'd the schedule.  Will that suffice?
cosplayer, reporter

Offline TomtheFanboy

• Bunnygirl
    • Twitter
    • Kumoricon Archives
« Reply #20 on: April 07, 2005, 07:48:24 pm »
I just realized that we should try and get a copy of the two highest grossing films in the history of hong kong cenima at the convention if there's going to be an HK movie room.

Shaolin Soccer and Kung Fu Hustle.
I'd love to see those on a big screen.

*really hopes Kung Fu Hustle will make it to Portland*
Tom the Fanboy
Passion over Pedantry!
Pocky Club President 2005-2010

Offline Dustin

• Catgirl
« Reply #21 on: April 07, 2005, 08:01:55 pm »
Quote from: "TomtheFanboy"
I just realized that we should try and get a copy of the two highest grossing films in the history of hong kong cenima at the convention if there's going to be an HK movie room.

Shaolin Soccer and Kung Fu Hustle.
I'd love to see those on a big screen.

I own Shaolin Soccer. Both the offical R1 release, and an import. But, yeah, I also wanna see Kung Fu Hustle. I'd be willing to loan Shaolin Soccer for the K-con room. :D

Offline rarnom

• Chibi
« Reply #22 on: April 07, 2005, 08:55:27 pm »
Quote from: "TomtheFanboy"

I recently saw an ad that said that Kung Fu Hustle will be on screens nationwide by the end of the month.  I can't wait. :D

Offline cpardo

• Sailor Scout
    • Anime Web Turnpike
HK video room at SC successful
« Reply #23 on: April 10, 2005, 11:52:33 pm »
the HK video room at SC did well.  they were behind setting up our room, so we started a half hour late.  However we quickly got caught up and became the first event/video room running first and on time!  We used a projector and a good screen.  then they took it away abruptly Friday evening to use for some other room, and gave us a microscopic tv!!!!  We protested and the con chair gave us another projector Saturday.  But then they needed that one, but gave us a good 27 inch tv. With that aside many titles were popular at certain times.  The peak times were from about noon to the secret showings.  After 2 am there were hardly any people at all.  We showed the new Jiang Hu for the first SS on Saturday at Midnight, which is kind of heavy to show at that certain time.  Then we wowed fans with New Police Story for the second one on Sunday at Midnight.  My partner was exhausted, so she went home sunday morning.  I needed to check out, store belongings and stuff, so I decided to cut Ashes of Time out to do that and end the room with Wheels on Meals, ending in time for the Closing Ceremonies at SC.

we impressed the staff well too, and they'll probably let us do it again if we want.  We'll probably cut back on hours and make it a tighter room.  We'll have a brand new facility to play with as SC is moving to the Washington Convention and Trade Center next year in Downtown Seattle!!!!!

If you want to show KFH and Shaolin Soccer, you'll have to get permission from the US distributors to screen them at the con.  Unless different rules apply for Kumori Con.

I had a great time........
cosplayer, reporter

Offline rarnom

• Chibi
Re: HK video room at SC successful
« Reply #24 on: April 11, 2005, 10:32:39 am »
We showed the new Jiang Hu for the first SS on Saturday at Midnight, which is kind of heavy to show at that certain time.

Is that the one with Andy Lau and basically everyone else from the Infernal Affairs films?  That movie was pretty good.  

Too bad you had to cut 'Ashes of Time'.  That film is CLASSIC!  That is cool that the SC staff was impressed.  That is the thing about HK film, lots of people have no idea just how awesome it is.  That is why I always include a couple of HK films amongst the anime at our club events.

Offline cpardo

• Sailor Scout
    • Anime Web Turnpike
vid room
« Reply #25 on: April 12, 2005, 11:11:43 pm »
Yeah I really wanted to show a Wong Kar-wai movie.  I was going to show 2046 for a secret screening but I opted for New Police Story since I figured it would attract a bigger crowd--it did and we were chatting about it afterward.

There's still KC though....
cosplayer, reporter

Anonymous

hrm
« Reply #26 on: April 14, 2005, 08:06:50 pm »
i posted this on a differnt thread, but ti woudl be awsome if you also showed asian horror (not nessisarily hong kong). some of the more random stuff, not the ring.

Offline cpardo

• Sailor Scout
    • Anime Web Turnpike
horror films
« Reply #27 on: April 14, 2005, 11:57:34 pm »
yeah I'm open to all genres like horror from Japan, which is all the rage now, and there are some HK horror flicks too.  Depending on the content and curfew rules, the more mature ones would have to be shown after a certain time though (blood, gore etc.)  At SC next year the curfew will be 1 AM.  I'm not sure what it is for Portland...
cosplayer, reporter

Offline Kei-Kei

• Chibi
« Reply #28 on: April 19, 2005, 12:13:06 am »
Ooo, that would be cool! I went to the one at Sakuracon and enjoyed myself. I'm even going to find a copy of one of the movies I saw.

[size=9]"I laughed, I cried, I died; inside."[/size]

Offline cpardo

• Sailor Scout
    • Anime Web Turnpike
HK movie room
« Reply #29 on: April 19, 2005, 07:17:03 pm »
Thanks for coming in.  Which movie did you like?
cosplayer, reporter

Offline cpardo

• Sailor Scout
    • Anime Web Turnpike
asian video room
« Reply #30 on: May 02, 2005, 05:58:13 pm »
I just talked to the video room coordinator, and he wants my list of dvds and videos.  Rarnom, maybe you can send him your list of dvds.... I mentioned your email address to him.

If anyone has Japanese or Korean movies, let them know.
cosplayer, reporter

Offline rarnom

• Chibi
Re: asian video room
« Reply #31 on: May 02, 2005, 08:27:52 pm »
I just talked to the video room coordinator, and he wants my list of dvds and videos.  Rarnom, maybe you can send him your list of dvds.... I mentioned your email address to him.

If anyone has Japanese or Korean movies, let them know.

I have one Korean film, 'Musa the Warrior' as well as the 'Wonderful Days' anime film, but that one has some audio problems.  

Just who is the video room coordinator?  Could you post or pm me his email?  thanks!

Offline cpardo

• Sailor Scout
    • Anime Web Turnpike
programming coordinator
« Reply #32 on: May 02, 2005, 09:41:53 pm »
The one I'm talking to is Jaki:

jamiche@aol.com
cosplayer, reporter

Offline Kei-Kei

• Chibi
Re: HK movie room
« Reply #33 on: June 18, 2005, 01:20:55 am »
Thanks for coming in.  Which movie did you like?

2002. My bro and I really enjoyed it. I'm looking forward to seeing more great movies.  :)

[size=9]"I laughed, I cried, I died; inside."[/size]

Offline cpardo

• Sailor Scout
    • Anime Web Turnpike
hk movies at KC
« Reply #34 on: June 18, 2005, 06:20:57 pm »
2002.  that's a good one.  I'm glad you liked it.  a video room of some sorts is in the works for next year's SC--what type I'm not sure, but I'll have a hand in it in some way shape or form.

I know their having an asian cinema room at KC, but I dunno if they need my help.  I haven't heard from them.

But I hope to acquire some more titles by next year old and new.

LATEST NEWS:

I'm going to host a few HK movies in the video room at KC, some in the afternoon when I'm not doing anything, and later in the evening after the main events like cosplay and karaoke, and sunday afternoon too.  I just have to decide which ones.

Rarnom, did you want to host some titles too?  Let Jamiche know.

Me and my friend Lisa have just been appointed Coordinators for the Asian Cinema Room for Sakura Con '06!  And we'll probably do what KC is doing, show stuff from HK, Japan, etc.   So come to the room at KC--it'll be great!
cosplayer, reporter