Author Topic: Fanfiction and original writing  (Read 5468 times)

Offline Rexyisashark

• Cabbit
    • Rexyisashark's DeviantART.
Fanfiction and original writing
« on: August 12, 2009, 10:36:34 pm »
I was wondering:
Will there be a chance to show off non-fanfiction writing?
I have my own ideas, and I was hoping I'd be able to share in a group specifically for original fiction.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2009, 10:37:08 pm by Rexyisashark »
Sakura | Tsubasa: Reservoir Chronicles | 100%

Princess Fuse | Okami | 90%

Offline Tsuki-Ken

• Cabbit
Re: Fanfiction and original writing
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2009, 11:38:54 am »
I don't know, but I'd love it if there was.

Offline RemSaverem

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2009, 03:22:39 pm »
Oh my, yes! *waves* *glomps* Welcome to Creation Station! We will love you! And hopefully vice versa, my own personal notorious love for exclamation points notwithstanding, lol! :)
Seriously. Come to the Council and Directors Rooms on the 3rd floor of the Hilton Hotel side of the con. We'll be open from, oh, 8 or 9 ish in the morning to, oh, 4 am ish in the evening, so you can't miss us!
I'd recommend our workshops, "Epic to Novel" and "Putting it in Print", which might help you professionalize your work. You can come when we're listed as having "Open Beta Time," to network with other authors and beta readers (basically folks who provide enhanced, tailored proofreading and/or editing), and even illustrators.
And above all, make sure you're there for our most hallmark events, "Fanfiction Bedtime Stories" and "Fanfic Theatre". Even though they have "Fanfic" in their titles, these events have always welcomed reading and cosplay of original works, as well as of fanfics. You may read or cosplay your own original works, or have others do so for you. You may even read or perform others' original works, provided you have their permission to do so! If the work would be rated "MA" (mature), save it for our 18+ event, Adult Fanfic Bedtime Stories!

And yes, there is a specific prize for Best Original Fiction at Bedtime Stories!
« Last Edit: August 13, 2009, 03:24:07 pm by RemSaverem »
Ellen. 2003: Fanfic panelist & contest judge.
2004: Beta Station Coord. 2005: Fan Creation Station Coord.;pre-event assistant to the con chair.2006: Fanfic Mgr/C.S. Coord.
2007, 8, 9, 10: Fan Creation Manager. 2011: Writing & Editing Coord (Publicity).

Offline Tsuki-Ken

• Cabbit
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2009, 05:07:02 pm »
YAY! What is the Bedtime Storytime thing? This will be my third K-con, but I've never gone to it.
You just made me exponentially more excited!

Offline BlackjackGabbiani

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2009, 10:21:00 pm »
Bedtime Stories is awesome is what it is. We have sleepover trappings and read our fics (or the fics of others, with permission).

Offline Tsuki-Ken

• Cabbit
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2009, 12:08:37 pm »
Sounds fun! Although I'm not good with public reading, etc.
When is it usually held? That would affect whether or not I'd actually be able to go it...

Offline Rexyisashark

• Cabbit
    • Rexyisashark's DeviantART.
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2009, 01:19:12 pm »
I don't think you're required to read. I've never gone, but it's Bedtime stories, and it sounds like you could go just to listen if you wanted.
Sakura | Tsubasa: Reservoir Chronicles | 100%

Princess Fuse | Okami | 90%

Offline RemSaverem

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2009, 04:56:12 pm »
Absolutely. A lot of folks come just to be a warm and wonderfully appreciative audience. Several come looking to help out by pitching in to set up the room (move chairs) and the ambience (lay out blankets, bring things that help the room feel like a cozy gathering in a home late at night). Several come to have others read their works, because they're authors, but shy; and then several come because they love to perform, but don't write, so fun pair-ups occur :) Folks read -- and cosplay!-- their own, or others', fanfics or original works (with permission), for several hours. Sometimes we mix things up a little with spontaneous contests for additional prizes beyond those for writing, reading, and performing the fanfics and original fics, such as drabbles (very brief, spontaneous fics). Artists also enjoy our Fic-Into-Art contest, in which folks spontaneously create visual art inspired by the fics they've heard read or seen performed. Vice versa, our Art-Into-Fic contest has authors compose drabbles inspired by visual art entered in our art contest!
After hours, we turn 18+, and more mature material is presented.
Hope to see you at Fanfic Bedtime Stories, Sunday evening!
2004: Beta Station Coord. 2005: Fan Creation Station Coord.;pre-event assistant to the con chair.2006: Fanfic Mgr/C.S. Coord.
2007, 8, 9, 10: Fan Creation Manager. 2011: Writing & Editing Coord (Publicity).

Offline kuri_chan

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2009, 03:31:12 pm »
wait! I've been missing this for the last three years? *dies* lol. I'm going to try to get to this this year. At least the mature one and the open beta thing.

Offline Mitsukai Mizu Amaya

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2009, 04:08:49 pm »
Hmm... I may go, depending on wether or not I'll be staying in the hotel. Negotiating with an overprotective mom at the moment. >.> I've got a few... is it okay to read excerpts from novels we've written? I'm on the third draft of one of mine and it's... a little long. XD So maybe like... a chapter or the prologue. ^^
Then there's my FMA fanfic and my Criminal Minds fanfic... though is it alright if the fanfics aren't anime fics?
KumoriCon 2012

Offline RemSaverem

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2009, 02:01:01 pm »
Hmm... I may go, depending on wether or not I'll be staying in the hotel. Negotiating with an overprotective mom at the moment. >.> I've got a few... is it okay to read excerpts from novels we've written? I'm on the third draft of one of mine and it's... a little long. XD So maybe like... a chapter or the prologue. ^^
Then there's my FMA fanfic and my Criminal Minds fanfic... though is it alright if the fanfics aren't anime fics?
First to Kuri-Chan, awesome! We will eagerly look forward to your participation. Now that Creation Station will be open until 4 am, we have more adults-only programming late night than ever. Fanfic Bedtime Stories (both for everyone and adult)  is the cornerstone of our Sunday night programming. Our Saturday night programming has workshops and contests related to adult writing and adult art!
Now for Mitsukai. I hear ya! I'm a "forum senpai" and I still have to deal with overprotective parents! But we really hope you make it. And HECK YAH you can read from novels--whether fanfics or originals! As for your Criminal Minds fanfic, wow, my mind is already reeling with all the crossover potential with something like Death Note! And we have a special "non-anime" prize category, so yes please!!

Offline Animeman73

• Catgirl
« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2009, 12:02:04 pm »
Hello RemSeverem (Sorry if I misspelled that  :D) This is Animeman73, last year I was the fellow who brought Shijak to Bedtime Stories. Well I'm bringing a couple of projects for Bedtime Stories this year. The good news is these projects will be well under half the size Shijak combined  ;D. One is an original piece, the other is an anthology piece from a dream/goal I have involving the original Yu-Gi-Oh series. The Yu-Gi-Oh piece I won't need a reader for but for my original piece I will just wanted to give you warning beforehand, see you there.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2009, 08:57:50 am by Animeman73 »
One cannot truly live life without having a sense of honor.

Offline RemSaverem

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2009, 07:29:46 am »
Hello RemSeverem (Sorry if I misspeled that  :D) This is Animeman73. Last year I was the fellow who brought Shijak to Bedtime STories. Well I'm bringing a couple of projects for Bedtime Stories this year. The good news is these projects will be well under half the size Shijak combined  ;D. One is an original piece, the oother is an anthology piece from a dream/goal i have involving the original Yu-Gi-Oh series. The Yu-Gi-Oh piece I won't need a reader for but my original piece I will just wanted to give you warning beforehand, see you there.

*waves* Welcome back! and, Fabulous! I'm certain many of us would be willing to oblige :D