Author Topic: Sword of the Stranger theatrical showings on Feb. 5  (Read 4005 times)

Offline JeffT

• Administrator
    • Facebook
    • Google+
Sword of the Stranger theatrical showings on Feb. 5
« on: January 21, 2009, 09:11:28 pm »
The anime theatrical movie Sword of the Stranger [original Japanese site, ANN, AniDB] is showing in theaters for one day on Thursday, Feb. 5.

At the Lloyd Center 10 in Portland, Kumoricon will be hosting a promotional table where you can register for the con:

1510 NE Multnomah St.
Portland, OR 97232

Also, Sword of the Stranger is playing at 3 other theaters in the area, in Beaverton, Tigard, and Vancouver.

Search for theaters here: Fathom Events

All showings are one-time only, at 7:30pm on Thursday, Feb. 5.

Tickets may sell out! You are advised to buy tickets in advance if you plan on going.

This title has high user ratings on ANN and AniDB (see links above), and is coming to DVD and Blu-Ray in the US--now is your one-day chance to see it theatrically. According to Bandai's twitter, D-5 masters will be used for this theatrical showing. This showing is most likely the English dub (need to confirm this).

NCM Fathom and Bandai Entertainment bring the U.S. debut of SWORD OF THE STRANGER, one of the most rousing Samurai epics in recent memory, to select movie theatres nationwide for Only One Night –Thursday, February 5th at 7:30 PM (local). This exclusive event will include a behind-the-scenes look at the creation of SWORD OF THE STRANGER, complete with never-before-seen interviews with the voice actors.

Please note: This event is not officially rated but should be treated as equivalent to a "PG-13" rating.

SWORD OF THE STRANGER STORY SYNOPSIS:
Hunted by the Mings from China, a young boy named Kotaro and his loyal dog Tobimaru meet a nameless samurai ("Nanashi" or "No Name") who is haunted by his past – a memory so terrible he has vowed to never draw his sword again.

Among the Mings is Luo-Lang, a ruthless Western swordsman with the Chinese name who has walked the earth in search of a worthy rival.When both groups clash with a feudal lord and monks torn between faith and survival, the truth behind the Mings' pursuit of Kotaro tests the bond between the boy and the samurai with no name…

SWORD OF THE STRANGER REVEALED – A LOOK BEHIND THE SCENES FEATURETTE:
This event will conclude with all new interviews with the English voice actors plus rare footage shot behind the scenes at Studio BONES (Cowboy Bebop) during the making of SWORD OF THE STRANGER. Director Ando and Bones President Minami highlight this unique look behind the making of a modern anime classic.

Tickets are on sale now. Limited seats available – buy your tickets early!

« Last Edit: January 22, 2009, 08:57:55 pm by JeffT »
2023: Website Development Coordinator
2020-2022: Assistant Secretary, Website Development Coordinator
2011 - 2013, 2016-2019: Secretary
2007 - 2019: Website Manager
2015: Assistant Secretary
2014: Chair
2007 - 2009: Director of Publicity
2006: Copy Editor

Offline JeffT

• Administrator
    • Facebook
    • Google+
Re: Sword of the Stranger theatrical showings on Feb. 5
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2009, 09:20:48 pm »
We're looking for a couple of staff or volunteers to help host the table and take registrations. We will arrive around 6pm to set up, and stay until the movie starts at 7:30pm. If it looks like this event will be very popular, we may (no promises) attempt to arrange to be at another local theater also. Please email publicity@kumoricon.org.

Offline AnimeMatrix

• Chibi
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2009, 09:56:40 pm »
It's a really good movie! Last year at Sakura con, one of the people that had worked on the movie was a guest and on Sunday after all the craziness of con, he showed an exclusive staff-only screening of the movie and it's really good ^_^. I'm sad I'm going to be out of country when it opens nationwide :(, but I highly recommend it! ;D

Offline JeffT

• Administrator
    • Facebook
    • Google+
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2009, 09:58:11 pm »
It's a really good movie! Last year at Sakura con, one of the people that had worked on the movie was a guest and on Sunday after all the craziness of con, he showed an exclusive staff-only screening of the movie and it's really good ^_^. I'm sad I'm going to be out of country when it opens nationwide :(, but I highly recommend it! ;D

Yes, I saw it there too. ^_^

Offline KogaRyu

• Catgirl
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2009, 02:17:47 am »
Looks real good! Im definitely going to order tickets and go see it. Thanks for the info!
Team Koga

Offline nikkiolie

• It's over nine THOUSAND!!!!!
    • Facebook
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2009, 08:10:58 am »
I might actually be able to go to this XD