Author Topic: Miley Cyrus Wants to Join The Slants!  (Read 5364 times)

Offline tofutakeout

• Bunnygirl
    • Deviantart
Re: Miley Cyrus Wants to Join The Slants!
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2009, 03:35:50 pm »
Oh man I thought for a second you actually meant joining you guys. 0_0 be still my heart. I might've died of fear from that.

I kind of want to know the reason for the picture. Like where she was and what she was doing to have wanted to pose like that. :/
da/tumblr
Pull the trigger, pull the trigger, pull the trigger. BOOM

Offline Deviant Spider

• Chibi
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2009, 03:38:16 pm »
I am not a Miley fan. I am however a Slants fan so its a good thing she isnt really joining lol.
2008 Adult Content Coordinator
2009 Adult Content Coordinator
Onyxspider@gmail.com

Offline nikkiolie

• It's over nine THOUSAND!!!!!
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2009, 04:40:14 pm »
that whole thing seems dumb to me, however I have never been a target of racist comments or gestures so I can't really say. It just seems like they were having fun and people are blowing it out of the water. Remember she is young and dumb and probably doesn't even know it is raciest.

oslapedo

« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2009, 05:30:04 pm »
I don't get it...

Offline jaybug

• Catgirl
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2009, 05:30:38 pm »
So would calling her a Haole-fied Banana be a slur, or just weird?
Have Fun

Jay

Offline Simon Young

• Chibi
    • The Slants
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2009, 05:46:43 pm »
that whole thing seems dumb to me, however I have never been a target of racist comments or gestures so I can't really say. It just seems like they were having fun and people are blowing it out of the water. Remember she is young and dumb and probably doesn't even know it is raciest.

I understand, but pop icons - especially people with millions of followers should have some higher accountability. TMZ mentioned that "What's the big deal? There was a chink with her anyway!"

Offline Mister_manji

• Chibi
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2009, 11:55:23 pm »
she is a dumb 16yo little cancer. Why she is newsworthy is beyond me.
K-Con attendee 2004, 2006
2007 Programming Staff
2008 Programming Staff
2009 Special Events Manager
2010 Assistant Director of Operations
2011 Assistant Director of Operations

Offline Beruchi baka

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2009, 11:13:43 pm »

>.> uh...

How... Is this a big deal?

She didn't purposefully make that gesture to be racist. It shouldn't be a big deal.o.O Like you haven't ever made racist gestures/comments before.

Stop the bashing. Srly.
"Dear Diary: Today I was pompous and my sister was crazy. [flips page] Today we were kidnapped by hill folk, never to be seen again. It was the best day ever."

Offline nikkiolie

• Facebook
« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2009, 07:09:51 am »
yeah that is what I said. She was just screwing around with friends.

Offline Syd-chan

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2009, 07:42:34 am »
:/ Agreed with Beruchi and Nikkiolie.

Offline Simon Young

• Chibi
    • The Slants
« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2009, 07:48:24 am »

>.> uh...

She didn't purposefully make that gesture to be racist. It shouldn't be a big deal.o.O Like you haven't ever made racist gestures/comments before.

Stop the bashing. Srly.

No bashing here, just pointing out that when you're a major pop icon and role model to millions, you are more accountable for behavior. It doesn't matter if you're drunk or just playing around.

For example, when Mel Gibson was drunk and making fun of Jews, no one let him get away with that. When comedian Michael Richards (Kramer) started yelling "There's a nigger!" etc. on stage during his stage routine, people freaked out. Even Cameron Diaz was joking around by saying "black crack is whack," she went on to apologize because she realized how it could affect people who idolize her and justify that this kind of behavior is ok.

Trust me, the kdis who were running around calling me a "chink" and a "gook" while throwing rocks at me as in elemntary school were also just "screwing around" and "being kids," claiming that it was just for fun. Not that I'm totally on the PC bandwagon or anything (I'm in THE SLANTS for cryin' out loud), but I do understand that there's certain things you have to be held accountable for when people look up to you.

Offline Beruchi baka

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2009, 08:27:57 am »

>.> uh...

Stop the bashing. Srly.

No bashing here, just pointing out that when you're a major pop icon and role model to millions, you are more accountable for behavior. It doesn't matter if you're drunk or just playing around.

For example, when Mel Gibson was drunk and making fun of Jews, no one let him get away with that. When comedian Michael Richards (Kramer) started yelling "There's a nigger!" etc. on stage during his stage routine, people freaked out. Even Cameron Diaz was joking around by saying "black crack is whack," she went on to apologize because she realized how it could affect people who idolize her and justify that this kind of behavior is ok.

Trust me, the kdis who were running around calling me a "chink" and a "gook" while throwing rocks at me as in elemntary school were also just "screwing around" and "being kids," claiming that it was just for fun. Not that I'm totally on the PC bandwagon or anything (I'm in THE SLANTS for cryin' out loud), but I do understand that there's certain things you have to be held accountable for when people look up to you.

Of course, I understand this.=/ I'm not trying to put on excuses for what she did, but I don't think that she actually meant for that gesture to be taken so heavily/for so many people to take offense.

=/ Making a gesture in the spur of the moment is a far cry from throwing rocks at someone, no offence intended.

I just think it shouldn't be taken so seriously, and especially shouldn't be amplified by the media because she made an unconsciously-racist gesture. Its giving people unconscious comfort, showing that we are "better people" because we don't make "racist comments or gestures" like that. =/ Which is, in all actuality, BS, because everyone has made a racist comment or gesture at one point in their lives. We're making hypocrites of ourselves when we go, "Oh, stupid Miley Cyrus and her dumb racist jokes.>/" (>_<U) Or etc.

^^; Again, no offence intended to anyone.
"Dear Diary: Today I was pompous and my sister was crazy. [flips page] Today we were kidnapped by hill folk, never to be seen again. It was the best day ever."

Offline nikkiolie

• Facebook
« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2009, 08:34:45 am »
I guess that makes sense.

just another reason why the media shouldn't stalk actors and singers :P

Offline superjaz

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #14 on: February 05, 2009, 10:07:09 am »
I understand, but pop icons - especially people with millions of followers should have some higher accountability. TMZ mentioned that "What's the big deal? There was a chink with her anyway!"

the site made it sound like miley said this quote, if so wow i WOULD burn her stuff (if i had any)

I have very low tollerince for that kinda crap like non, for the record I look white as snow but i am a meneber of a mixed family and am a native american.  I have been teased for not looking like my family
one memrable occation i was teased for having a chinese grandma which at 6 years old i didnt understand (some native americans have some asian features)
superjaz, that is jaz with one z count'um ONE z!
Proud mom of 2 awesome kids

Offline Simon Young

• Chibi
    • The Slants
« Reply #15 on: February 05, 2009, 10:26:40 am »
=/ Making a gesture in the spur of the moment is a far cry from throwing rocks at someone, no offence intended.

I just think it shouldn't be taken so seriously, and especially shouldn't be amplified by the media because she made an unconsciously-racist gesture. Its giving people unconscious comfort, showing that we are "better people" because we don't make "racist comments or gestures" like that. =/ Which is, in all actuality, BS, because everyone has made a racist comment or gesture at one point in their lives. We're making hypocrites of ourselves when we go, "Oh, stupid Miley Cyrus and her dumb racist jokes.>/" (>_<U) Or etc.

Ignorance is bliss but not if you have a publicist that helps you determine what its actually appropriate or not if you didn't know better. As a public figure, especially once associated with Disney, they let her know up front what could really hurt/offend people, whatis acceptable or not. People in the public eye often get trained on how to talk to crowds, etc.

Besides, using the justification that "everyone else does it" doen't mean that it's ok. I don't really think it's hypocrticial to say that she was making a racist gesture, it's a true statement.

This has nothing to do with giving outselves comfort or making ourselves look better, it's about bringing awareness and taking responsibility that we live in a society where pervasive racism still exists. If not one told her "hey, this offends several million Asian Americans" then she, and people who look up to her as role model, will continue to think that its ok.

Offline Beruchi baka

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #16 on: February 05, 2009, 04:18:27 pm »

Ignorance is bliss but not if you have a publicist that helps you determine what its actually appropriate or not if you didn't know better. As a public figure, especially once associated with Disney, they let her know up front what could really hurt/offend people, whatis acceptable or not. People in the public eye often get trained on how to talk to crowds, etc.

Besides, using the justification that "everyone else does it" doen't mean that it's ok. I don't really think it's hypocrticial to say that she was making a racist gesture, it's a true statement.

This has nothing to do with giving outselves comfort or making ourselves look better, it's about bringing awareness and taking responsibility that we live in a society where pervasive racism still exists. If not one told her "hey, this offends several million Asian Americans" then she, and people who look up to her as role model, will continue to think that its ok.

I wasn't actually trying to justify her actions with, "Everyone else does it". I was trying to point out that the people who say she is dumb, racist, needs to realize what will be taken offensively, or etc, are ignoring the fact, or just not acknowledging it, that they make unconscious racist gesture as well, and while yes, Miley Cyrus is a role model to millions of teenagers, etc, out there, isn't it just as important that those who aren't pop stars, actresses/actors, singers, etc, who make racist gestures or jokes, are role models to someone or another as well? Do celebrities actions outweigh other peoples actions, those of whom aren't celebrities themselves?

However, the point is Miley Cyrus made a racist gesture, and has offended many. I think its unfair that she's being judged so harshly on this unconscious action, when we're hypocriting ourselves, because we have made racist-gestures, acts, jokes, etc, in the past ourselves.=/ While I can see your point(and I do!), I can't say that I agree.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2009, 04:20:08 pm by Beruchi baka »

Offline Simon Young

• Chibi
    • The Slants
« Reply #17 on: February 05, 2009, 05:55:50 pm »
while yes, Miley Cyrus is a role model to millions of teenagers, etc, out there, isn't it just as important that those who aren't pop stars, actresses/actors, singers, etc, who make racist gestures or jokes, are role models to someone or another as well? Do celebrities actions outweigh other peoples actions, those of whom aren't celebrities themselves?

However, the point is Miley Cyrus made a racist gesture, and has offended many. I think its unfair that she's being judged so harshly on this unconscious action, when we're hypocriting ourselves, because we have made racist-gestures, acts, jokes, etc, in the past ourselves.=/ While I can see your point(and I do!), I can't say that I agree.

Everyone should be held accountable, but those who lead or are role models obviously hold more weight in their influence so should be judged accordingly.

Maybe you didn't grow up like I and millions of Asians did, being ridiculed and treated like an inferior human being so you don't understand how a seemingly innocent joke can cut so deeply. I think Frank Wu of the San Francisco chrconicle says it best when he states:

"My concern is about Asian Americans and Asians who have made their home,permanently and hopefully as true members of their society, throughout the world. For many Asian immigrants and their native-born children, life is a struggle to assimilate to an impossible norm always beyond reach. For them, this is personal.

Almost all Asian Americans are familiar with the mockery of the eyes pulled back, accompanied by the chant, "Chinese, Japanese, dirty knees, what are these?" It is part and parcel with slurs thatlead to worse forms of discrimination and violence. For me the lingering power of the childhood cruelties of teasing and taunting are more painful than any physical trauma I can recall. The teachers who counseled back then to retort,
"Sticks and stones may break my bones, but words will never hurt me," like those who complain about political correctness now, have a point. We should stand up and speak out. It would be in keeping with the great American tradition of free speech.

Yet that is what is so surprising. For when Asian Americans do show they are real Americans, ready to assert their rights, they are met with even greater backlash about being less sensitive and taking a joke, not being politically correct or playing the race card. After all, the argument goes, the people using racial images and slurs at best mean no harm and at worst are merely ignorant. It is tempting to accept these excuses. Few who regard themselves as members of the mainstream understand what it is like to be ashamed of one's parents, to be constantly striving to be just like everyone else without
ever being able to fit in.

So even if we assume that the intent is wholly innocent, the perpetrators presumablywould welcome being informed of the effects of their gestures. Their hostility to educational efforts belies any notion of color-blindness. Sometimes, when I encounter
this type of racial assault, I'm tempted to explain I'm offended - not as an Asian American, but as someone who indeed has a sense of humor. I want to say, "If you're going to dis me, at least get some new material. I've seen this one before. You're not
even any good at it."

Perhaps in the end, the casual defamation of this most recent slight can be laughed off. It is too trivial to keep us from succeeding. The trouble is what it represents, the pattern it reveals and confirms... [it] is no different than any other stereotype in its dangerous effect. It violates our shared ideals."

Offline Beruchi baka

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #18 on: February 05, 2009, 06:21:50 pm »
No, and while I can imagine how it must have been, there's really no comparison to the real thing of being the target of many hurtful taunts and teasings.=/

I can understand where you're coming from, and your point of view. But, there will always be racism, in any shape or form. At least until the human race gets over itself(for lack of a better phrase). And I can't see this happening any time soon.=/

Cyruss' gesture was not directed at any specific someone, nor was there any malice or negative intent behind it. From past taunting/teased experiences, I've realized that it is the emotions and feelings behind the gestures and words that make the true difference.