Author Topic: Mecha Reccomendations  (Read 5950 times)

oslapedo

Mecha Reccomendations
« on: January 08, 2009, 07:59:55 pm »
Hi all!

Recently I've been getting in to a bunch of mecha series and I was wondering if anyone had some suggestions of their favorites. It'd be prefferrable to hear of anime that have been or are going to be released in R1 but anything works.

I've already seen/love Eureka 7, Code Geass, and Gurren Lagann. I like mecha where it's not just about the giant robots, but there's a deep story within.

Offline Mr Silmero

• Catgirl
Re: Mecha Reccomendations
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2009, 08:04:18 pm »
Neon Genesis Evangelion, The Big O, Robotech just to name a few but none of that is really NEW at all...

oslapedo

« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2009, 08:09:12 pm »
@ Neon Genesis, I was thinking about trying it out especially considering how many tote it as something that all fans should have seen at least once. And there's a bazillion re-releases so I should be able to find it for pretty cheap >:3

@ The Big O, this one I'm not particularly fond of, but um, the art is pretty =,D

@ Robotech, I've never heard of that before, what is it?

Oh, and I've been told that RahXephon is fabulous, can anyone attest to that?

Offline Mr Silmero

• Catgirl
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2009, 08:40:03 pm »

@ The Big O, this one I'm not particularly fond of, but um, the art is pretty =,D

Oh, and I've been told that RahXephon is fabulous, can anyone attest to that?

Oh Crud I mean Macross, its an old series (about 70's or 80's) Robotech is the Americanized version of it...but if watching very old animation is not your thing I think they JUST started another Macross series, it's usually about humanity fighting against impossible odds against aliens.

Offline Wuntvor

• Catgirl
    • http://wuntvor.home.comcast.net/anime_list.htm
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2009, 08:42:38 pm »
Full Metal Panic!   All three seasons.  Probably my favorite show that has mechs in it.  Good story, with a bit of drama mixed in, interspersed with comedy, and a main character that gives new meaning to the term "clueless".

If you like Loli panty service you can try Sky Girls or Strike Witches.  Really, I just placed these here to give you an idea of the extremes in "mech" anime.

Gundam and Macross/Robotech in their many incarnations.

A rather new one to the list is Kurogane No Linebarrels.  I am not to sure how I feel about this one so far.

RahXephon is beautiful, but a little slow and at times hard to follow.  It also will most likely make you cry once or twice.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2009, 08:47:30 pm by Wuntvor »
(\,@/)  Quote from -  Rock & Rule
(=','=)  Stretch: MOK! Don't let him get us!  He'll put a heck on me!
 //_\\   Dizzy:    Hexx, Stretch.  Hexx.
  d b    Stretch: Aw!  Two of them!  That's even worse!

oslapedo

« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2009, 08:50:22 pm »
I don't mind old animation at all! For series like Gundam and Macross that have been around forever and have a ton of different arcs and anime versions what would be good starting points for a noob like myself?

Aside from the panty service Strike Witches looks cute but I try to avoid too much of undergarments in anime if I can :D

I <3 Code Geass and it's WTF moments.

I've seen a few episodes of FMP! but it hasn't really clicked with me yet. I'm willing to try it again though since everyone seems to like it so much.

Oh, I also remember watching this one mecha where a bishounen kind of looking pilot guy and a teenage girl were gtting married then mechs come and she helps him pilot... or something like that. It was pretty interesting though xD

Offline Wuntvor

• Catgirl
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2009, 09:05:13 pm »
I don't mind old animation at all! For series like Gundam and Macross that have been around forever and have a ton of different arcs and anime versions what would be good starting points for a noob like myself?

Aside from the panty service Strike Witches looks cute but I try to avoid too much of undergarments in anime if I can :D

I <3 Code Geass and it's WTF moments.

I've seen a few episodes of FMP! but it hasn't really clicked with me yet. I'm willing to try it again though since everyone seems to like it so much.

Oh, I also remember watching this one mecha where a bishounen kind of looking pilot guy and a teenage girl were gtting married then mechs come and she helps him pilot... or something like that. It was pretty interesting though xD

For Gundam and Macross I would try going by the list on wikipedia I put the link to.

Sky Girls is less panty service by far, more of a skin tight flight suit that accentuates the femininity of the wearer.  Strike Witches on the other hand... well I dont think these girls wear anything like a skirt or pants.  The entire show is panty service.

I saw that you had stated you already watched Code Geass after I posted.  I was in the process of editing out that line when you posted your reply.

Definitely give FMP another chance.  The second season  -Fumofu- is hilarious.   ;D

Offline Trumby

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2009, 09:31:12 pm »
FMP! is by far one of my favorite animes ever, all three seasons. I wish they would continue the story.. :(

Gunparade March was pretty good.

Gun X Sword was awesome..though the story itself is about mechs <.<

I personally didn't like Evangelion at all but that may just be me.

I never got into RahXephon but I only watched one episode and that was years ago so I might have to try that one again.
2011 New Cosplay Plans: Boba Fett, Hoshi (Arakawa Under the Bridge), Malcolm Reynolds

oslapedo

« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2009, 09:41:52 pm »
So far here are the mecha that I feel the most priority for checking out:

- FMP!
- Eva
- Gundam
- Macross
- RahXephon
- Gun x Sword

Anything else imperitve that I see? And I peeked at the Gundam and Macross wikis and I'm still not sure about what arc/anime I should start from on each of them. I don't really want to start from entirely the beginning because that would take a while xD

Offline Seraph

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2009, 11:06:38 pm »
as far as I understand it, you don't have to watch the Macross series in any particular order to enjoy them.  but watching macross 7 after the original macross would let you see familar characters from the previous series.  Macross Frontier, the newest one, has some references to Macross Zero, but I wouldn't say you have to watch Macross Zero to understand Frontier.

There is also Linebarrels of Iron which you find on crunchyroll(I think youtube as well).
"Hm, the Moe is strong with this one..."
Kylite-"You and your TV Tropes!"<Refering to This Troper's ruined voc

Offline Deviant Spider

• Chibi
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2009, 11:27:18 pm »
Yuri girl here to add a few....lol

kannazuki no miko  (If you havent allready seen it its a very cannon yuri love story with TONS of mecha fighting scenes) Great Anime!

Burst Angel (Implied yuri but tons of action/mecha/girls (and guys) kicking butt)
2008 Adult Content Coordinator
2009 Adult Content Coordinator
Onyxspider@gmail.com

oslapedo

« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2009, 11:28:56 pm »
Yuri mecha? YAY!

I've actually been wanting to try out Kannazuki no Miko for a while =D

Offline Seraph

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2009, 12:41:42 am »
I almost did a kannazuki no miko cosplay.  wasn't able to finish it though.  maybe I should.

I think vandread counts as well.

zone of the enders and gasaraki are another two mecha series.
"Hm, the Moe is strong with this one..."
Kylite-"You and your TV Tropes!"<Refering to This Troper's ruined voc

Offline Wuntvor

• Catgirl
« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2009, 02:33:12 am »
Yuri mecha? YAY!

I've actually been wanting to try out Kannazuki no Miko for a while =D

If you want Yuri mecha then Simoun is the only way to go.  Actually I haven't watched much of it, but from what little I did watch, Yuri doesn't even begin to describe this.

I watched the first few episodes of Kannazuki no Miko.  It isn't a bad anime.  Not really my style, has that Fushigi Yūgi feel, but well done.  I probably will finish watching it some day.

I didn't care much for Gasaraki, but Vandread is pretty fun.   ;D

Offline jaybug

• Catgirl
« Reply #14 on: January 09, 2009, 07:40:09 am »
Gasaraki, learn something about Noh theater. Interesting for the historical aspect, to me. But mostly I agree with Wuntvor.

I had to buy Vandread! I love that series! Even though I think it was made for 13-14 year old boys. lol But then so was the band KISS.

Oh, a new one I haven't seen, STRAIN. Armored Infantry. Sounds mecha to me.
Have Fun

Jay

Offline melchizedek

• Bunnygirl
    • Don't play with fire
« Reply #15 on: January 09, 2009, 08:37:54 am »
Escaflowne!
Yaoi crossplay... is actually Yuri.

Offline KogaRyu

• Catgirl
« Reply #16 on: January 09, 2009, 05:59:18 pm »
Escaflowne!

ESCAFLOWNE is the Best!!!!!

Here is my list
Escaflowne
Fafner                       
Full Metal Panic
IGPX
Patlabor

My Gundam List   
(Universal Century Timeline)                   
   Mobile Suit Gundam                          Gundam Wing
   The 8th MS Team                            Gundam Wing Endless Waltz
   Gundam 0080
   Gundam 0083
   Zeta Gundam
   Char's CounterAttack

Team Koga

Offline Deviant Spider

• Chibi
« Reply #17 on: January 09, 2009, 08:05:26 pm »
If you want Yuri mecha then Simoun is the only way to go.  Actually I haven't watched much of it, but from what little I did watch, Yuri doesn't even begin to describe this.

*smacks head* How could I forget Simoun??? Yes very Yuri, Yes lots of action/mecha. Kinda one of those old school origional "dared to be" Yuri shows.
2008 Adult Content Coordinator
2009 Adult Content Coordinator
Onyxspider@gmail.com

Offline Wuntvor

• Catgirl
« Reply #18 on: January 13, 2009, 09:42:24 pm »
Just watched the first episode of RideBack

SPOILER

College student who wanted to be a ballerina, tears a ligiment in her ankle.  While waiting for the bus it starts to rain.  She darts into a garage, on campus, and is introduced to the RideBack club.  A motorcycle that converts into a standing robot with you on it's shoulders, thus the name.  Because of the rain, she is offered a chance to try sitting on one and, after the rain stops, starts it up and takes it for a spin, literally, this machine can dance.  Ever want to see a robot do ballet?  Well, now is your chance.   ;D
« Last Edit: January 13, 2009, 09:48:45 pm by Wuntvor »

Offline Mister_manji

• Chibi
« Reply #19 on: January 14, 2009, 10:47:52 am »
I would recommend Gundam Wing, 08th MS Team, 0083, 0080.

Patlabor definitely.

Wasn't a big fan of Eureka Seven, seemed overcomplicated and excessively long, but I saw the edited dub so maybe I missed something (doubt it) If you want something from that studio, I suggest Bounen no Xam'd/Xamdou, however you want to spell it. Not as many mecha, but much more interesting, and the main character isn't a whiny little 8th grader.

Gunbuster 1&2, of course.

Evangelion is more about people, and how incredibly screwed up we all are, than it is about mecha. It is still good. But you must watch it and remember: it isn't ripping off other mecha shows: all other mecha shows are ripping off IT.

Macross

Gurren Lagann, which you absolutely must watch at least once in your life. Also, when watching, relax your brain and don't think too hard. You'll only miss out on the sheer amounts of awesome it contains. Or your head will explode. One or the other.

Gasaraki maybe? I still haven't managed to get a copy of it to watch, but I've always wanted to ever since I saw the VHS previews as a kid.

Escaflowne definitely. One of my all time favorites. Reminds me: I need to re-watch that. Its been like 5 years or something. I really liked the movie, too but they are quite different. The costumes are much better in the movie though. And Van is so much cooler.

K-Con attendee 2004, 2006
2007 Programming Staff
2008 Programming Staff
2009 Special Events Manager
2010 Assistant Director of Operations
2011 Assistant Director of Operations

Offline MiriaRose

• Bunnygirl
    • The Kingdom of Heaven
« Reply #20 on: January 15, 2009, 07:39:12 pm »
I've heard Appleseed is great, but I haven't seen it. ^^;;
"Would you kindly. ."

Offline Prinz Eugen

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #21 on: January 16, 2009, 05:10:05 am »
(Just my personal ops here)

I bailed on Gurren Lagann; I didn't like the mech designs and the shonen character was annoying. The show had an FLCL feeling to it (another show which lots of people liked but I went 'meh...')

GASARAKI totally rocked - especially if you saw it about two years before Bush-II's Iraq adventures.

Am enjoying RideBack!

Also enjoying Code Geass. (2nd season.)

Appleseed and Burst Angel have rollerblading mecha.

The Tachikoma gang in G.I.T.S are fun too.

Evangelion was great 'in the day' (like 1999 or so,) but it's getting pretty old now...

Sousei no Aquarion is heaps of fun and the music is top-notch classical. I'd put it past R. Wagner for pure bombastic overload and park it close to Anton Bruckner.

RaXephon's got wings on their mecha heads and lotz of Mayan or Aztec costume designs too.

Godanner is a heavy fanservice waste of time (unless you like fan service shows with nothing else useful about them.) So is Gravion. But some folks might like them.

That's my quick survey!

Offline Higuma

• Catgirl
    • My anime list
« Reply #22 on: January 16, 2009, 12:15:54 pm »
So far here are the mecha that I feel the most priority for checking out:

- FMP!
- Eva
- Gundam
- Macross
- RahXephon
- Gun x Sword

Anything else imperitve that I see? And I peeked at the Gundam and Macross wikis and I'm still not sure about what arc/anime I should start from on each of them. I don't really want to start from entirely the beginning because that would take a while xD
I am starting with Gundam 00, it is the newest Gundam series now in its second season in Japan.