Poll

What do you think of the prices so far?

Awesome! If anything, you should raise them!
0 (0%)
Very fair! I think the prices match your art skills well!
6 (66.7%)
It's a little expensive, but if you interest me and I have extra cash, I might buy something.
2 (22.2%)
Seriously, they're over priced. If you lowered the price, I would buy one.
1 (11.1%)

Total Members Voted: 9

Author Topic: Input needed! Lychee's Art Table Prices!  (Read 7793 times)

Offline lychee-twist

• Bunnygirl
    • My deviantART
Input needed! Lychee's Art Table Prices!
« on: December 03, 2008, 10:09:32 pm »
Hey, guys! I'm pretty much copying and pasting this from the Mewcon forums, but I'm seriously considering tabling at Kumoricon 2009. Depending on how things go at Mewcon, I might go for it, but since this is my first time, I'd love some input about my plans.

To explain myself, I'm tabling at MewCon, and it's my first year ever selling prints and commissions. I just want to know before hand whether or not my prices are fair for what and how I draw. I've never done commissions, too, and I would like feedback here, too.

As to the material I use, I use Prismacolor markers, Sakura Micron Pen, and the paper would be Deleter Comic paper usually. My latest full color pictures usually take 25 hours to do, and my non background pictures take around 10 hours. I try and spend some quality time on my art, and if I get a commission, this will be the same standard.

Prismacolor markers are $4 each, and I would like you guys to keep that in mind when I show you my pricing so you can gauge whether or not you think I should charge more. Please be honest.

Here we go:

Full color, full page picture, 4+ characters: $25
Full color, full page picture, 0-3 characters: $20
Full page, pencil picture: $20
Full color, no background picture, 4+ characters: $20
Full color, no background picture, 1-3 characters: $15
Pencil picture, no background: $15
Chibi, color, 1/2th page size: $10
Full page, lineart, pencil or ink: $10?? (Would anyone want that?)
Random, quickie sketch made right there: $5??

Prints: $5 each

How the commission status would work, I would ask for half payment up front. I would then do a sketch, show you it, and if you like it, then I would finish it up, and upon delivering (preferably in person) I would get the other half of the payment. Since my commissions are traditional media, you would get the actual finished piece and not a copy or scan. Places to meet up for final payment and delivery would be MewCon meetings, Kumoricon meetings, or anime get-togethers, etc. Even just a quick meeting at a mall would work.

Here's an example of my art:

Full color with background:

Pencil with background:

Full color no background:

Pencil no background:

Chibi:

My art is at http://lychee-twist.deviantart.com so you can see other examples. My Chibi example is better with my Kumoricon mascot entry for 2008, but a smaller picture doesn't really show it well enough, I think.

The sketches done there would be pretty quick and sketchy. It's really debatable whether or not I would do this, but do you think it's a good idea?

Seriously. I'm completely new at this, so your input is great. Even suggestions of a show or game picture you would like me to do, BUT you have to have some sort of comment directly related to my pricing (whether you like it or think it's too high, etc.) This does not mean I will take your suggestion, but I will consider it.

Thanks, everyone. I really appreciate it.
-Lychee
Kumoricon '12: Effie Trinket from "The Hunger Games"

Offline Evaldas

• Chibi
    • Dancing Heron
Re: Input needed! Lychee's Art Table Prices!
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2008, 11:50:01 pm »
Lychee, I love the pieces that a lot of detail and very lovely. As to starting a table for 2009, I have suggested before (since I did it myself my first year) is to get a half-table. That way if you don't have a lot of stuff to put out, you don't have to worry about it. Plus it gives you a chance to introduce your work to the public.

I think your work would do just fine. As for prices, that is more of a personal thing. How much time and effort did you put into the piece--how much do supplies cost and finally how much do you think your work is worth? How much does your skill cost? These are fair prices, but don't be afraid to change them if you find you are not charging enough to cover the costs going into the work.

I hope you join us at Kumoricon this year--it's going to be a blast! (no bias what so ever..;) )

Offline lychee-twist

• Bunnygirl
    • My deviantART
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2008, 11:58:21 pm »
I really hope Mewcon goes well because I would love to table at Kumoricon. I tried last year, actually.

I bought a full table since I'm sharing it with my friend. It's no big deal. I totally would've gone with the "starving artist" option had I not been lucky to have my friend join me.

Thanks, Evaldas!

Offline superjaz

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2008, 06:40:09 pm »
I would always suggest having little stuff for a couple of buck just cuz its nice if peeps are mostly broke but can still find something they can affourd
superjaz, that is jaz with one z count'um ONE z!
Proud mom of 2 awesome kids

Offline lychee-twist

• Bunnygirl
    • My deviantART
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2008, 10:50:27 pm »
That's a good idea! Thanks! I didn't think of that XD;;

Offline melchizedek

• Bunnygirl
    • Don't play with fire
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2008, 11:51:47 pm »
Oh can we buy commisions before mewcon?
Yaoi crossplay... is actually Yuri.

Offline lychee-twist

• Bunnygirl
    • My deviantART
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2008, 01:42:16 pm »

I don't have a plan for that. I'm planning on going to the Christmas party at Lloyd Center. Maybe we could talk there if you're going?

Offline Wuntvor

• Catgirl
    • http://wuntvor.home.comcast.net/anime_list.htm
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2008, 08:11:38 pm »
Lychee,

Running a table, even if only half a table, is a full time occupation.  The first question you have to ask yourself is going to be, why am I here?  If you are attending the con to have fun, cosplay, and go to panels, then NO, DON'T DO A TABLE! Running a table is a full time activity.  Even if you have someone cover for you so you can attend a panel or eat something, you will still spend a lot of time drawing commision pieces for people.

If You still want to do a table, I agree with the suggestion of only going with a half table, or sharing a table.

For pricing I would recommend going on to DeviantArt and finding someone who is currently selling their pieces.  See what they are selling for.  I personally believe you are selling yourself short, and should raise your prices by quite a bit.  For prints $15-20 is reasonable, depending on size.  If you are selling prints, make sure to use inks and paper that are for "archival" usage.  Such inks are not cheap and neither is the paper, but the person who bought it from you won't have it fading or curling in their room in less than a year.  If you can get someone to matte your pieces, you can have something that will sell for more as well as look more professional.  Matting a piece, isn't really that expensive if you have the equipment to do so.

For original pieces a lot depends on the media.  Gel pens tend to fade and are not meant for archival pieces, stick with Pigma Microns or Copic markers and Prisma Colors.  For the true artisan a quill pen or G-pen is awesome when used with real India inks.  The price of such a piece should be equivalent to your time and effort.  You are taking quite a while currently.  Maybe cut back your hourly amount to about half of what it will be when you get your speed up.  say $4.00 an hour.  For a piece you spent 10 hours on then $40 seems reasonable  I would say $35 for a single character in color with no background.  Add $10 for each additional character, and $25 for a background in the piece. A color piece with 4 characters and a background would then cost $90.  It may seem like a lot of money, but if you spent 25 hours at $4 an hour you are actually shorting yourself by $10.  Looking at it that way it starts to look reasonable.  And it is an original piece.  That in itself counts for quite a bit.  Think about what an original Picasso sells for and you may get a glimmer of what I mean.  Don't sell yourself short.  You just may be a famous artist some day.  Would you expect to pay $20 for an original piece painted by a CLAMP artist?  I think not.

For pencil sketches I would recommend trying a variety of lead weights to find one you are most happy with.  #2 isn't the only one out there.  ;D  What does that pencil artist in the mall charge for his 15 minute portrait?

Speed becomes a deciding factor in making money at a con.  If you can't wip out a quick sketch in 15 minutes, then you probably shouldn't try doing on site commissions.  Doing color commisions is something you should really consider with care.  I would suggest you only take on what you think you can actually complete before the end of the con.  Take commisions on the first day and have them ready by con end.  Not all people attending will be local.  Many of them will want to be able to leave the con with their piece.

Will you allow revisions?  Sometimes the buyer won't be happy with something about the piece and will ask you to fix it.  You will want it up front what your policy on such things is.  My wife once had someone ask fo 5 revisions on a piece.  She spent so much time on it that she was out more money than she made.

Copyright,  when working in anime know the copyright laws and follow them.  You can not draw characters from anime shows and manga, and charge money for them.  Plain and simple.  All your works must be original pieces.  If you create your own original character and start selling it to people, it is no longer your character.  Know your rights.  You don't want to see your character decorating the cover of some top selling anime or manga and have the seller say, well I paid you $20 for the print of this character at the con, it's mine now.  If you do create a character that is your own unique anime chara, then copyright the character and put that on each print.

You may want to watermark your works on Deviant Art, especially if they are pieces you plan to sell prints of.

These are my suggestions.  I hope you find them helpful.

From someone who worked a table at two "Fur" cons and is married to an artist who does commission work.

Remember, you are always your own worst critic, because you always know what your flaws are and what, you think, is wrong with the artwork.  The buyer doesn't need these pointed out.  The buyer often doesn't care about them either.  The buyer thinks, your work is awesome, and who are you to say otherwise?

Good Luck.

P.S. - Your work is awesome.  ;D
(\,@/)  Quote from -  Rock & Rule
(=','=)  Stretch: MOK! Don't let him get us!  He'll put a heck on me!
 //_\\   Dizzy:    Hexx, Stretch.  Hexx.
  d b    Stretch: Aw!  Two of them!  That's even worse!

Offline Evaldas

• Chibi
    • Dancing Heron
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2008, 10:01:50 pm »
Also, the Artshow may return this year again and if you didn't want to run a table or couldn't get one, you can drop off pieces and prints there and leave in the careful hands of programing staff.

Just another option

Offline melchizedek

• Bunnygirl
    • Don't play with fire
« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2008, 03:11:41 am »

I don't have a plan for that. I'm planning on going to the Christmas party at Lloyd Center. Maybe we could talk there if you're going?
Well, I'm working Christmas and christmas eve so...

Offline Wuntvor

• Catgirl
    • http://wuntvor.home.comcast.net/anime_list.htm
« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2008, 02:20:00 pm »
Also, the Artshow may return this year again and if you didn't want to run a table or couldn't get one, you can drop off pieces and prints there and leave in the careful hands of programing staff.

Just another option

A good idea if you decide not to have a table, or even if you do.  Put a few pieces in the Artshow.  MATTE THEM!!  I noticed a couple of un-matted pieces in the last show, they had started curling before the con ended.  Use archival paper and ink.  Also if you get the right colors for your matte, it can really make your picture pop.  You can also find pre-cut mattes for standard sizes, relatively cheap.

My wife once put up 5 pieces at a con,  If I remember correctlly two of them where original watercolor works.  I think the starting bid was around $25.  She sold one of them for $125 the other was $85 I believe.  I think the other three pieces were prints that she had cancelled the run on and deleted the file.  I think they went for $45 dollars or so each.  An artshow can be a great way to make cash.  Don't start with the bidding to low.  For some reason, it seems to me that, anime con art shows are not as popular as fur con art shows.  I think a lot of it has to do with original characters.

Good luck.
(\,@/)  Quote from -  Rock & Rule
(=','=)  Stretch: MOK! Don't let him get us!  He'll put a heck on me!
 //_\\   Dizzy:    Hexx, Stretch.  Hexx.
  d b    Stretch: Aw!  Two of them!  That's even worse!

Offline lychee-twist

• Bunnygirl
    • My deviantART
« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2008, 07:36:21 pm »

Well, I'm working Christmas and christmas eve so...

It's this Saturday :) 13th in front of the Ice Skating Rink at noon. If you can make it, we can talk!

Offline melchizedek

• Bunnygirl
    • Don't play with fire
« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2009, 09:38:53 pm »
Found you at mew con ;)

Offline lychee-twist

• Bunnygirl
    • My deviantART
« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2009, 10:24:36 am »
Haha. I have your sketch ready. It's pretty rough, but I'll try to post it by the end of the night.

Some parts are a little, erm, kapow, I guess. >///< *fweef*

Offline melchizedek

• Bunnygirl
    • Don't play with fire
« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2009, 07:44:52 pm »
Cool thx, how should I pay you rest of monies?

Offline lychee-twist

• Bunnygirl
    • My deviantART
« Reply #15 on: January 12, 2009, 06:30:40 pm »
Mmm. Let me see if I can get Paypal somehow set up otherwise snail mail?

Offline melchizedek

• Bunnygirl
    • Don't play with fire
« Reply #16 on: January 14, 2009, 08:50:55 am »
Well paypal takes a cut, so it'd probably be better for you if we meet or snail mail.