Author Topic: Can you spot an otaku?  (Read 4954 times)

Offline rarnom

• Chibi
Can you spot an otaku?
« on: February 22, 2005, 08:23:24 pm »
Do you have OTAKU-DAR?

As I am out and about I always see people and wonder "are they into anime?"  Anyone else think they have some sweet 7th 'anime sense'?

I guess then it begs the question...  As anime fans, are we that obviously otaku?
The trick is not minding.

Offline Neko_Chan

• Bunnygirl
Can you spot an otaku?
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2005, 08:35:16 pm »
Hmmm...
I see you're teacher. What kind? (Sorry if that's personal. You don't have to say.)
I dunno. A bunch of people I know don't really look like they like anime, but they do. I was watching a tape of Full Metal Alchemist one day in XLT beacuse it was just me and about two or three other people. And this guy was like "WOAH!" and he came over and we talked about anime the whole period.
I also just kinda figured out that it's mostly white kids that like anime. I have a few hispanic and african american friends, and they like anime, but it's like, their popular, and we only talk when their friends aren't around.
... Sorry this is getting so long...
I people watch at airports and such and sometimes I think they like Anime, but I'm always too nervous to ask. Heh. And then when I do meet die-hard otaku, it's like collage age, or high schoolers, and sometimes they tease me about my age (I'm 13, turning 14 in march). Like "Hey, aren't you missing Pokemon?" And I'd say something, trying to 'smart', but just sound stupid like "No, my friend's taping it. Thanks anyway." But then I'm like 'GAH. You idiot.' in my mind
I think it's like a 50/50 chance that people you could meet on the street like anime, mainly beacuse it's getting so so so so so so so (x about 50) mainstream.

Offline Neko_Chan

• Bunnygirl
Re: Can you spot an otaku?
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2005, 08:39:20 pm »
(Sorry about this, your signature says Gorugo, right? What's that last character? o__o Is that the number 13? -hits self with the stupid mallet-)

Offline rarnom

• Chibi
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2005, 09:46:32 pm »
Quote from: "Neko_Chan"
Hmmm...
I see you're teacher. What kind? (Sorry if that's personal. You don't have to say.)

Oh, no worries.  I love my job and love talking about it too.   :D
I teach 4th grade.  
I have fun getting the kids into manga and anime at a young age.  I have a class subscription to Shonen Jump and I have over 65 Shonen Jump graphic novels for them to read.  We also watch Studio Ghibli stuff during class parties.

(Sorry about this, your signature says Gorugo, right? What's that last character? o__o Is that the number 13? -hits self with the stupid mallet-)

Yeah, that is a 13.  It is from the manga Golgo-13.  It is similar to James Bond, except it is about this paid assassin named Duke Togo and his code name is Golgo-13.  The premise is that he is sent on all these hits and he never misses, gets paid $1million per hit.  
The name is taken from the word Golgotha and 13 is, well, the unlucky number...unlucky for his targets that is... :twisted:

I cosplayed as him at Kumoricon 2004, but nobody knew who I was dressed as.  It surprises me that it hasn't been liscenced in the states yet because the manga has been in serialization since 1968 and it is one of the most popular manga titles in Japan.  They have copies of the Japanese graphic novels at Uwajima in Beaverton, and there are over 150 volumes.   :shock:
The only exposure we have had stateside are a couple of old NES games, two anime movies, and a recent arcade gun game.

here is another banner that shows Duke (if you are still curious...):

Offline superjaz

• Bunnygirl
Can you spot an otaku?
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2005, 08:36:07 am »
:shock: shoen...in class...man you must be the best 4th grade teacher ever :D , my 4th grader teach was nice to the popular kids whos moms came in to help and mean to every one else, if i vollenterd a quetion or asked for help she'd make me feel stupid :evil: , that was 12 sai, years ago and i still have trouble asking for help from a teacher and speaking in front of class because of that, (happy place) sorry didn't mean to get into that,
superjaz, that is jaz with one z count'um ONE z!
Proud mom of 2 awesome kids

Offline Dustin

• Catgirl
    • http://www.fanfiction.net/u/217341/
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2005, 02:35:26 am »
Quote from: "rarnom"
Hmmm...

Oh, no worries.  I love my job and love talking about it too.   :D
I teach 4th grade.  
I have fun getting the kids into manga and anime at a young age.  I have a class subscription to Shonen Jump and I have over 65 Shonen Jump graphic novels for them to read.  We also watch Studio Ghibli stuff during class parties.

Yeah, that is a 13.  It is from the manga Golgo-13.  It is similar to James Bond, except it is about this paid assassin named Duke Togo and his code name is Golgo-13.  The premise is that he is sent on all these hits and he never misses, gets paid $1million per hit.  
The name is taken from the word Golgotha and 13 is, well, the unlucky number...unlucky for his targets that is... :twisted:

I cosplayed as him at Kumoricon 2004, but nobody knew who I was dressed as.  It surprises me that it hasn't been liscenced in the states yet because the manga has been in serialization since 1968 and it is one of the most popular manga titles in Japan.  They have copies of the Japanese graphic novels at Uwajima in Beaverton, and there are over 150 volumes.   :shock:
The only exposure we have had stateside are a couple of old NES games, two anime movies, and a recent arcade gun game.

here is another banner that shows Duke (if you are still curious...):

I have seen a copy of the old game. A local game shop has it for NES for like five bucks.

Also, Golgo inspired the Excel Saga anime, as whenever a Puchuu gets hurt, it makes a Golgo-like face, and says something totally random, or pretaining to who/whatever hit it. :D

I know of Golgo, so, I mustn't have seen ya, I would have recognized you. :(

Offline Neko_Chan

• Bunnygirl
Can you spot an otaku?
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2005, 09:34:16 am »
OH! I saw that. rofl. It's so freaky looking.

Offline rarnom

• Chibi
Can you spot an otaku?
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2005, 12:15:51 pm »
Quote from: "Dustin"
Also, Golgo inspired the Excel Saga anime, as whenever a Puchuu gets hurt, it makes a Golgo-like face, and says something totally random, or pretaining to who/whatever hit it. :D

I know of Golgo, so, I mustn't have seen ya, I would have recognized you. :(

Oh yeah!  I forgot about the references to Golgo-13 in Excel Saga.

Here is a collage of pics of me dressed as Golgo-13 from Kumoricon 04':

Offline Neko_Chan

• Bunnygirl
Can you spot an otaku?
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2005, 08:37:56 pm »
You look like the best teacher EVER. I wana be in the 4th grade again...

Offline Kei-Kei

• Chibi
Can you spot an otaku?
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2005, 01:35:47 am »
I don't really ahve an "Anime 7th sense" but, people who like Anime seem to find me when I go places.  Usually they comment about the Inu-Yasha pin I always wear on my jacket.

[size=9]"I laughed, I cried, I died; inside."[/size]

Anonymous

« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2005, 07:46:32 am »
Also, Golgo inspired the Excel Saga anime, as whenever a Puchuu gets hurt, it makes a Golgo-like face

THANKS for that anime-trivia tidbit.

I had never seen Golgo, and so I always thought that those damaged Puchuus were turned into little Richard M. Nixon faces.

- G

Offline superjaz

• Bunnygirl
Can you spot an otaku?
« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2005, 07:55:20 am »
Quote from: "Kei-Kei"
I don't really ahve an "Anime 7th sense" but, people who like Anime seem to find me when I go places.  Usually they comment about the Inu-Yasha pin I always wear on my jacket.

i know what you mean , i have a set of trigun (minuse the black cat went to little bro) key chains that i got at the first kumoricon and two tenchi key chains  that i removerd the key ring part and wear as necklaces and people will complement some times but anime fans will know what there from
superjaz, that is jaz with one z count'um ONE z!
Proud mom of 2 awesome kids

Offline Neko_Chan

• Bunnygirl
Can you spot an otaku?
« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2005, 10:46:48 am »
My Tenchi keychin was comming apart, so I ripped off his body. :0 So now he's just a head... I'll probably scan it in or something and show it to you... rofl.

Offline Dustin

• Catgirl
    • http://www.fanfiction.net/u/217341/
Can you spot an otaku?
« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2005, 01:13:04 pm »
Ranom: I CAN'T believe I missed you!

Thats such an accurate Golgo, too!

G: No problem, man. Alot of people tend to wonder about the enitire Puchuu Armada. I wanna be a Puchuuologist. :D

IMO: The Harlock Puchuu was SO awesome.

Regarding the actual topic, I think most Otaku tend to have SOME way of showing they're Otaku. For me its a bit harder. I'm a big guy, so its hard to find shirts that have anime characters and such on them (I wonder how a Sumo Otaku deals with this situation in Japan?).

Most people recognized me at last years Kumoricon because I had a Ryo-Ohki necklace on, with my badge hanging from it.

I love Ryo-chan. :D

Offline rarnom

• Chibi
Can you spot an otaku?
« Reply #14 on: February 25, 2005, 03:18:57 pm »
Ranom: I CAN'T believe I missed you!

Thats such an accurate Golgo, too!

Thank-you much!  I was quite happy with the way it ended up looking.