Author Topic: Anyone else sick of live action adaptions?  (Read 7216 times)

oslapedo

Anyone else sick of live action adaptions?
« on: December 22, 2008, 11:09:19 am »
Avatar the Last Airbender, Death Note, Cowboy Bebop, Dragon Ball, Ghost in the Shell, and many other anime either already have live action adaptions or there are plans to give them such adaptions. Honestly I'm growing weary of them. Anime and manga are perfectly fine mediums to tell the stories contained within them so I see no need to adapt them into mainstream films.

I wish hollywood would leave my animez alone. Other opinions? :3

Offline tofutakeout

• Bunnygirl
    • Deviantart
Re: Anyone else sick of live action adaptions?
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2008, 11:11:09 am »
yes please. I'm getting sick of hollywood.

I mean they make live action over in japan but those are really good. :3 here we like to change **** and it ruins everything. :/
da/tumblr
Pull the trigger, pull the trigger, pull the trigger. BOOM

Offline makichan

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2008, 11:35:09 am »
I'm just wondering why we feel the need to change it in order to make it "better". It's a smash hit for a reason, people. Don't try to screw up a good thing  ;)
If you must make a live action movie adaption stick to the storyline and hire actors that can actually do a good job. :-\
"I like the way you fire that gun."
"Thanks. I like the way you take a bullet."

oslapedo

« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2008, 11:36:18 am »
It really bothers me when we use american actors for ethnic characters. Let's be a bit more diverse and true to the source material please!

Offline EveofAbyss

• Bunnygirl
    • Facebook
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2008, 12:45:30 pm »
I'm not tired of them exactly. I'm tired of these companies feeling like this is their only way to make a profit. Remakes instead of original stories are an easy way to make a buck, but it is (generally) a cheap tactic. So, I'm not specifically tired of live-action anime remakes as I am tired of remakes in general.

There are actually a couple live-action anime films set to come out that I am excited about, hoping they will be done well. The first of which is Akira. I loved the story and characters of that film and, even though it is apparently being relocated to Neo-Manhattan (stupid), I hold hope that it will be a solid and complementary film in the Akira universe. That's one that I am really excited about, that and Death Note, but all the others can bugger off.

Buy my book of poems!
Lord Otaku commands you!

Offline tofutakeout

• Bunnygirl
    • Deviantart
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2008, 02:02:29 pm »
I just want them to make a live action and keep it as that. don't change the way the characters look. keep them as they were originally designed. >:[
da/tumblr

Offline Wuntvor

• Catgirl
    • http://wuntvor.home.comcast.net/anime_list.htm
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2008, 04:29:32 pm »
I don't know if it is the adaptations, or just the fact that there is so much other stuff that hasn't been done!  I would love to see The Last Starfighter have a sequel, I would love to see The characters of Elizabeth Moon come to life in a movie, either the Familias Regnant or the Vatta's War, I would adore seeing Patricia C. Wredes - The Enchanted Forest Chronicles being done in either Live Action or Animated form.  Why do they have to re-make stuff we already have seen in anime?  I really don't understand the mentality of some people.  Who would go see The Dragonriders of Pern if it was made into a movie?  David Eddings - The Belgariad or The Elenium? I always thought that C.J Cherryhs - Chanur series would make an excellent movie.  The humans as the aliens from the point of view of humanoid cats.  That just seemed a natural for some anime company to attempt.  Well I can dream...

Of course when I see what they did to Robert Jordans series and the whole Earthsea mess..., but Starship Troopers wasn't to bad.  And I have no real complaints about Harry Potter or The Lord of the Rings.  I guess we just have to take our chances.

I thought that they were working on a Live action version of The Last Unicorn, but I don't really know if it is going to happen.

It is obvious that Marvel is gearing up for a whole plethora of movies based on their characters.  I am really divided on how I feel about that.  I think they mangled The X-Men pretty badly, the first Hulk wasn't to good, but the second one was OK.  I liked IronmanSpiderman is so-so for the most part.  Fantastic 4 was definitely altered to appeal to the masses.  There are others (Daredevil, Electra, Punisher), but those are the main ones.

Of course DC has Batman and Superman.  I think we will continue to see more of both of these characters,  I wouldn't be surprised to see the entire Justice League make an appearance after Marvels The Avengers comes out.

Who is going to see Enterprise?  Yep can't leave out the Trekies, sorry Trekers.  ::) 

Well that ought to be enough for now.
(\,@/)  Quote from -  Rock & Rule
(=','=)  Stretch: MOK! Don't let him get us!  He'll put a heck on me!
 //_\\   Dizzy:    Hexx, Stretch.  Hexx.
  d b    Stretch: Aw!  Two of them!  That's even worse!

Offline paprika

• Chibi
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2008, 10:28:44 pm »
Yeah, I don't really care for live action adaptions.
Or adaptions of any Asian films for that matter.
Hollywood has ruined a lot of Asian horror films, and it just...suuucks.

Actually, to be honest, I don't particularly care for live actions for anime/manga in general.
I did like Death Note's, but not enough to buy it or anything.
But that's just me, I suppose. *shrug*

Offline Mister_manji

• Chibi
« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2008, 10:31:41 am »
Have you people seen the Battle Angel trailer they released so long ago? it was awesome. And now Cameron is working on another dumb film....arggh

In general however, Anime adaptations are horribly done.
K-Con attendee 2004, 2006
2007 Programming Staff
2008 Programming Staff
2009 Special Events Manager
2010 Assistant Director of Operations
2011 Assistant Director of Operations

Offline KogaRyu

• Catgirl
« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2008, 11:14:15 am »
Oh man if you guys love film adaptations, they gots at least 28 video game movies in production for y'all to look forward to.

Mortal Kombat (2010)  Spy Hunter (2009)  Tekken (2009)  Driver (2010)  Splinter Cell (2010)  Fear Effect (2008)  Halo (2009) 

Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time (2010)  Castlevania (2009)  Cold Fear (2008)  Warcraft (2009)/World of Warcraft (2011) 

Metal Gear Solid (2009)  Clock Tower (2009)  The Suffering (2009)  Street Fighter: The Legend of Chun-Li (2009)  Onimusha (2009)

Kane & Lynch (2009)  Broken Sword: The Shadow of the Templars (2010)  King of Fighters (2010)  Joust (2010)  The Legend of Spyro (2009)

Sabotage 1943 (2009)  Resident Evil 4 (2010)  Bioshock (2010)  Earthworm Jim (2010)  God of War (2010)  Gears of War (2010)

Area 51 (2011)

You can go ahead and get your details here
http://www.examiner.com/x-578-Video-Game-Examiner~y2008m12d17-28-video-games-being-made-into-movies-will-they-suck

Team Koga

Offline EveofAbyss

• Bunnygirl
    • Facebook
« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2008, 11:48:19 am »
Another Mortal Kombat? I may be alone here, but I liked the original. I'm still excited for that, though. That and Earthworm Jim and God of War. God of War I know would be fantastic, so I really really hope that gets done, and Earthworm Jim has the potential to be really funny, so that'd be cool too.

Buy my book of poems!
Lord Otaku commands you!

Offline makichan

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #11 on: December 23, 2008, 11:52:12 am »
I'm usually not one for adaptions but... HOLY FRICK! EARTHWORM JIM? DO WANT.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2008, 11:52:52 am by makichan »

Offline nikkiolie

• It's over nine THOUSAND!!!!!
    • Facebook
« Reply #12 on: December 23, 2008, 12:40:35 pm »
Oh man if you guys love film adaptations, they gots at least 28 video game movies in production for y'all to look forward to.

Mortal Kombat (2010)  Spy Hunter (2009)  Tekken (2009)  Driver (2010)  Splinter Cell (2010)  Fear Effect (2008)  Halo (2009) 

Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time (2010)  Castlevania (2009)  Cold Fear (2008)  Warcraft (2009)/World of Warcraft (2011) 

Metal Gear Solid (2009)  Clock Tower (2009)  The Suffering (2009)  Street Fighter: The Legend of Chun-Li (2009)  Onimusha (2009)

Kane & Lynch (2009)  Broken Sword: The Shadow of the Templars (2010)  King of Fighters (2010)  Joust (2010)  The Legend of Spyro (2009)

Sabotage 1943 (2009)  Resident Evil 4 (2010)  Bioshock (2010)  Earthworm Jim (2010)  God of War (2010)  Gears of War (2010)

Area 51 (2011)

You can go ahead and get your details here
http://www.examiner.com/x-578-Video-Game-Examiner~y2008m12d17-28-video-games-being-made-into-movies-will-they-suck

Ok I would like to see a lot of those movies, Res 4 (I've seen all three why not the 4th?), Halo, SPYRO?! YES PLZ, and God of War, and Gears of War.

I like to see others interpretation of anime/games. I'm sure those will be really good ;D

Offline EveofAbyss

• Bunnygirl
    • Facebook
« Reply #13 on: December 23, 2008, 01:53:45 pm »
Oh yeah, the Spyro one for sure. If for no other reason, for the fact that Elijah Wood does the voice (and has done the voice) of Spyro. That's awesome right there.

Buy my book of poems!
Lord Otaku commands you!

Offline KogaRyu

• Catgirl
« Reply #14 on: December 23, 2008, 02:07:36 pm »
Don't really care too much about many of them.  I JUST WANT MY HALO MOVIE!!!!!   I WANT IT!!!!!!   XD
Team Koga

Offline nikkiolie

• Facebook
« Reply #15 on: December 23, 2008, 07:48:44 pm »
Oh yeah, the Spyro one for sure. If for no other reason, for the fact that Elijah Wood does the voice (and has done the voice) of Spyro. That's awesome right there.
I loved the first spyro game. The others were a little iffy >_>

Don't really care too much about many of them.  I JUST WANT MY HALO MOVIE!!!!!   I WANT IT!!!!!!   XD

I bet the Halo movie will be good. I am really looking forward to that one ;D

Offline makichan

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #16 on: December 23, 2008, 10:28:42 pm »
For being fan made, I think this did Thunder cats pretty impressively xD
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fb50GMmY5nk

Offline nikkiolie

• Facebook
« Reply #17 on: December 23, 2008, 10:33:37 pm »
A movie that I want to see (though it is a fan made, college humor to be exact) is Minesweeper

Offline tofutakeout

• Bunnygirl
    • Deviantart
« Reply #18 on: December 23, 2008, 11:13:55 pm »
ya know, if you think about it. live adaptations are just like people in cosplay. except they like to take the character "modify" the look a bit and tend to make them ooc. but still it's taking a character and dressing up as them and acting like them putting on a show.
da/tumblr

oslapedo

« Reply #19 on: December 23, 2008, 11:16:32 pm »
It's sad when there are cosplayers that look more accurate to the characters than the actors from the official movie v_v

Offline tofutakeout

• Bunnygirl
    • Deviantart
« Reply #20 on: December 23, 2008, 11:19:07 pm »
its all the directors fault. 'lets take this movie and make it BETTER.' better? more like crappier.
da/tumblr

Offline paprika

• Chibi
« Reply #21 on: December 24, 2008, 08:53:14 pm »
I know, it's so stupid.
They always end up making the remake terribly, and that's a  huge waste of money. D:
They should just leave the good movies alone! Gurrrr. >_<

Offline Seraph

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #22 on: December 31, 2008, 11:22:05 am »
some changes I wouldn't mind personally.  particularly in cases where in real life it would mean breaking laws of physics or look just super silly.

I guess the main problem they dun seem to bother to seriously translate the story, feel, and atmosphere to the new medium.
"Hm, the Moe is strong with this one..."
Kylite-"You and your TV Tropes!"<Refering to This Troper's ruined voc

Offline LtCommanderRichie

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #23 on: January 01, 2009, 02:37:09 am »
I personally can't wait for Cowboy Bebop. It would be better if Keanu Reeves moved his lips and they superimposed Steven Blum's voice, but I can live with it.

I also can't wait for the X-Men: Origins movie with Wolverine. Emma Frost, Blob, GAMBIT? Uh, yeah. I'm seeing it.

I could live without a new Mortal Kombat movie though. Same with the Warcraft ones.

Offline Prinz Eugen

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #24 on: January 01, 2009, 04:27:40 pm »
Live Action adaptations = Proof that Hollywood has been low on ideas for at least 20yrs.
Some I won't even watch - after all, I already saw the cartoons, and you *know* the special effects and surprises can be more extreme in animation than in 3d live action.

It's like the 'uncanny valley' - super-distortions can be funnin in cartooning but look creepy or unsettling when ani-morphed with live action characters.

Some I simply won't even see; they have got to be gawd-awful bad.
(Pop Eye, Flintstones, didn't they dare do Scooby-Doo also?)

Offline EveofAbyss

• Bunnygirl
    • Facebook
« Reply #25 on: January 01, 2009, 04:35:36 pm »
Scooby Doo was actually pretty good, in my view. It seemed to get the gist of the characters transferred very well to live-action.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2009, 05:35:35 pm by EveofAbyss »

Buy my book of poems!
Lord Otaku commands you!

Offline nikkiolie

• Facebook
« Reply #26 on: January 01, 2009, 04:38:11 pm »
I didn't mind scooby doo

I really like lots of movies. So I really like to see live adaptations of them :P

Offline tofutakeout

• Bunnygirl
    • Deviantart
« Reply #27 on: January 01, 2009, 04:55:45 pm »
apparently there making a live action scooby doo series on cartoon network. which you know is gonna tank. all there live action stuff does. :/ they don't seem to understand their Cartoon Network.
da/tumblr

Offline nikkiolie

• Facebook
« Reply #28 on: January 01, 2009, 05:09:36 pm »
Yeah I'm not sure how well that will do. Though Scooby Doo is a very popular show, maybe it will be good? =/

Offline tofutakeout

• Bunnygirl
    • Deviantart
« Reply #29 on: January 01, 2009, 05:27:16 pm »
it could end up a hit. but I have a strong feeling it wont. the preview didn't look too convincing. :/
da/tumblr

Offline nikkiolie

• Facebook
« Reply #30 on: January 01, 2009, 05:28:44 pm »
I haven't seen any of them. Though it seem like kids that watch cartoons are a little......dumber than those who did back when Scooby Doo first came out. A lot of the cartoons they show now are really dumb and pointless where cartoons like Scooby Doo made you think a little....though this could just be because I am older :P

Offline tofutakeout

• Bunnygirl
    • Deviantart
« Reply #31 on: January 01, 2009, 05:34:21 pm »
well some of the cartoons today actually need an adult to watch them to understand them.....all the messages and jokes we found hidden within were crazy. and we had kids in the room that didn't think anything of it because they didn't understand. but then there are a lot of really crappy cartoons nowadays. I'll probably never get out of watching toons though.
da/tumblr

Offline nikkiolie

• Facebook
« Reply #32 on: January 01, 2009, 06:50:55 pm »
Yeah a lot of cartoons have a lot of adult jokes to them. I will never get over cartoons but I like watching more mature, deeper thinking kinda cartoons. Most refer to it as anime :P Though I guess not all of it is really thought provoking

Offline KogaRyu

• Catgirl
« Reply #33 on: January 01, 2009, 08:01:18 pm »
As far as live adaptations of anime go I liked the Battle Royale Movie and the Initial D movie was freakin sweet! Though it woulda been better if they included K.T. and his Sexy RX-7.
Team Koga

Offline nikkiolie

• Facebook
« Reply #34 on: January 01, 2009, 08:10:36 pm »
I LOVED THE BATTLE ROYAL MOVIE ^_^

I have read the book so many times. The book is a little bit better than the movie but the movie is still amazing ;D

Offline KogaRyu

• Catgirl
« Reply #35 on: January 01, 2009, 10:34:47 pm »
I LOVED THE BATTLE ROYAL MOVIE ^_^

I have read the book so many times. The book is a little bit better than the movie but the movie is still amazing ;D

I luv All of it!!!  The Book, The Manga and the Movie!! Very suspenseful!
Team Koga

Offline nikkiolie

• Facebook
« Reply #36 on: January 01, 2009, 10:40:19 pm »
I haven't read the manga yet >_>