Author Topic: Idea for Kumoricon '09..?  (Read 5881 times)

Offline ChiiHime

• Cabbit
Idea for Kumoricon '09..?
« on: December 09, 2008, 08:22:54 pm »
Well, I was on youtube today looking at some Ouran videos. I found out that at some cons have an Ouran-themed ball with songs from the soundtrack playing as you dance with your favorite host. I thought that this could be a good idea for Kumoricon 09, or future cons..
Kumoricon 09 Cosplay!!
Chii (Chobits)
Haruhi Fujioka (Ouran)
Kyonko ( The Genderbend of Haruhi Suzumiya)
http://media.photobucket.com/image/thats%20what%20she%20said/gellymac/funny/thatswatshesaid.jpg

Offline nikkiolie

• It's over nine THOUSAND!!!!!
    • Facebook
Re: Idea for Kumoricon '09..?
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2008, 08:24:51 pm »
It sounds like a good idea but there would have to be lots of people cosplaying members of the host club for it to work. I would love to go to a dance like that though ^_^

Offline ChiiHime

• Cabbit
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2008, 08:26:18 pm »
Yeah ^^ I think that it would be really cool.
I'm cosplaying as Haru-chan this year too, so I thought that it would be perfect ^^
Kumoricon 09 Cosplay!!
Chii (Chobits)
Haruhi Fujioka (Ouran)
http://media.photobucket.com/image/thats%20what%20she%20said/gellymac/funny/thatswatshesaid.jpg

Offline tofutakeout

• Bunnygirl
    • Deviantart
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2008, 08:27:18 pm »
I really think this topic should have been posted in 'panels and etc' forum. but I'll still give my two cents.

well I think there is going to be a lot of host cosplays this year. and there might(if anyone gets around to it) be a host club tea party. hopefully, because I never got to go. :/ I'll be mori sempai if that helps at all. but yeah this sounds like a pretty cool idea.
da/tumblr
Pull the trigger, pull the trigger, pull the trigger. BOOM

Offline ChiiHime

• Cabbit
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2008, 08:29:46 pm »
Sorry, I didn't know where else to post it..x.x;;

MAybe I should make a list of supporters or something like that..
Kumoricon 09 Cosplay!!
Chii (Chobits)
Haruhi Fujioka (Ouran)

Offline Deviant Spider

• Chibi
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2008, 09:02:17 pm »
Im going to keep this thread here as no one is seriously talking about a panel yet. If someone would like to potentially run this panel than ill move it there. Right now it looks like ChiiHime is just making a suggestion.  :D
2008 Adult Content Coordinator
2009 Adult Content Coordinator
Onyxspider@gmail.com

Offline ChiiHime

• Cabbit
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2008, 09:11:46 pm »
Yeah :D I hope for it to be a panel too though!!  :D
Kumoricon 09 Cosplay!!
Chii (Chobits)
Haruhi Fujioka (Ouran)

Offline VampireFangs103

• Catgirl
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2008, 10:05:55 pm »
I think it would be fun. ^^; My friend and I might be there as Mori and Hunny, so we'd probably go.

Yes, they're having the tea party this year as well. It's being ran by Cassiopeia.

Offline Cassiopeia

• Bunnygirl
    • Cake on a Plane!~
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2008, 12:19:30 am »
This would be so cool. :D But this probably can't happen along with the tea party (which yes, I am running) 'cause it is a major Ouran event. The ball would require lots and lots of interest as well. I'm all for this, but it's not likely to happen.  :-\
I HAVE SUCCUMBED AND GIVEN MYSELF A SIGNATURE! :000
Kumoricon 2010 Cosplays: Kyouya Ootori, Spain, Yoru

Offline tofutakeout

• Bunnygirl
    • Deviantart
« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2008, 06:54:12 am »
I'm game for this as a panel I guess. as long as it doesn't cut in on time for something else.
da/tumblr

Offline nikkiolie

• Facebook
« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2008, 08:13:10 am »
One man alone is going to responsible for the growth in popularity of "Host Club", Vic Mignogna. This man absolutely sickens me to no end. I'll copy/paste one of my previous rants on him:

I've had too many bad experiences with Vic Mignogna working as staff up at Sakuracon. He has a very elitist attitude and a VERY inflated ego. He is rude to other guests and panelists (he ran into my friend Brian's panel and told everyone to come across the hall to his panel), is passive aggressive, and is certain that his events are the most important and that he should get special treatment.

I've always though that he's pretty creepy too... I know that he just "does it for the fans"... but I think it's crossing the lines in quite a few ways... (Examples by videos on YouTube: link, link, link)

based off the links you gave us I found this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=39sNA0sx3js&NR=1
it's mildly entertaining....couldn't get through all of it though >_>

Offline Cassiopeia

• Bunnygirl
    • Cake on a Plane!~
« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2008, 11:00:55 am »
Yeah, some of the things Vic does are pretty sketchy, and I've heard reports of him being pretty rude. But I've also heard reports of him being cool and he's obviously good at what he does to get so much work.

Personally, I don't think his voice fits quite right for Tamaki in the anime, but he will/has definitely up/ped the series' popularity.

That's not necessarily a bad thing though.

Anyway. Maybe we could incorporate something like this into the tea party?  :)

Offline ChiiHime

• Cabbit
« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2008, 08:35:46 pm »
Yeah, some of the things Vic does are pretty sketchy, and I've heard reports of him being pretty rude. But I've also heard reports of him being cool and he's obviously good at what he does to get so much work.

Personally, I don't think his voice fits quite right for Tamaki in the anime, but he will/has definitely up/ped the series' popularity.

That's not necessarily a bad thing though.

Anyway. Maybe we could incorporate something like this into the tea party?  :)

That'd be neat :D The only thing is I will be Haruhi in the middle school ouran outfit (her disguise) so I couldn't be a host..
Kumoricon 09 Cosplay!!
Chii (Chobits)
Haruhi Fujioka (Ouran)

Offline AnimeMatrix

• Chibi
« Reply #13 on: December 12, 2008, 04:24:06 am »
Maybe it could be a theme for next Kumori Con's Masquerade Ball?

But I guess it'd be up to the panelist/s whoever do this to maybe even teach the Ouran Host Club cosplayers how to actually ballroom dance to add to the funness. A few times around on the dancefloor pretending to know how to dance isn't as fun as actually dancing- it takes two to tango ^_^. (and for anyone who's going to Chemeketa Community College, take Ballroom dancing- it's alot of fun!)

Offline ChiiHime

• Cabbit
« Reply #14 on: December 12, 2008, 06:50:56 am »

But I guess it'd be up to the panelist/s whoever do this to maybe even teach the Ouran Host Club cosplayers how to actually ballroom dance to add to the funness. A few times around on the dancefloor pretending to know how to dance isn't as fun as actually dancing- it takes two to tango ^_^. (and for anyone who's going to Chemeketa Community College, take Ballroom dancing- it's alot of fun!)

That'd be cool! As for teaching dancing, I think I could help...At my school we do an entire dance unit each year!
Kumoricon 09 Cosplay!!
Chii (Chobits)
Haruhi Fujioka (Ouran)

Offline tofutakeout

• Bunnygirl
    • Deviantart
« Reply #15 on: December 12, 2008, 06:57:34 am »
well sometimes for some dances there's like 30 minutes before to learn how to dance. sometimes during the dance I just sort of go with what the guys doing and I won't even know. :/ but if we do a host themed masquerade or something like that(which is a really cool idea) the hosts could teach people what to do. maybe, it just sort of makes sense to do something like that.
da/tumblr

Offline Cassiopeia

• Bunnygirl
    • Cake on a Plane!~
« Reply #16 on: December 12, 2008, 04:25:01 pm »
Dance lessons from the hosts seems logical for an OHSHC-themed ball.  :)

But yeah, like I said before, there's gotta be enough interest.

Offline nikkiolie

• Facebook
« Reply #17 on: December 12, 2008, 04:28:04 pm »
I think it would be great fun. Maybe you could try mentioning it at the con as a possibility for next year. Or during check in maybe you could pass around a small survey seeing if anyone is interested?

Offline Cassiopeia

• Bunnygirl
    • Cake on a Plane!~
« Reply #18 on: December 12, 2008, 04:33:50 pm »
Good ideas, Nikki.  :D

Offline nikkiolie

• Facebook
« Reply #19 on: December 12, 2008, 05:36:27 pm »
being a psych major I find that surveys are the best way to get information such as that ^_^

Offline ChiiHime

• Cabbit
« Reply #20 on: December 12, 2008, 07:49:13 pm »
That'd be cool :D
Kumoricon 09 Cosplay!!
Chii (Chobits)
Haruhi Fujioka (Ouran)

Offline TomtheFanboy

• Bunnygirl
    • Twitter
    • Kumoricon Archives
« Reply #21 on: December 22, 2008, 03:59:55 pm »
Anything that offers a clear dress code and a limited scope to the "BALLROOM/MASQUERADE DANCE THING" that has been lurching to life over the years is a step in the right direction as far as I'm concerned.

I would suggest that if an event is organized, someone should take the time to harvest as many screenshots of the ball episode as possible in order to show CLEAR EXAMPLES of the formal wear featured in the show itself. These can be printed out and kept at the front door for security to use as the bar which all entrants can be measured by.

I'm a proponent for inclusion at the convention but when the point of an event is formality, having a random play list and letting in people with napkins taped to their face ruins the event.
Tom the Fanboy
Passion over Pedantry!
Pocky Club President 2005-2010

Offline tofutakeout

• Bunnygirl
    • Deviantart
« Reply #22 on: December 22, 2008, 04:10:14 pm »
@tom
oh man, I completely agree with you. so many people wanting to go but weren't dressed properly. and it did mess with the atmosphere of it all. :/ some people just showed up with masks painted on.

but I like the idea of the printed images to show at the front door when people come in.
da/tumblr

Offline nekovamp13

• DeviantART
« Reply #23 on: December 29, 2008, 10:06:39 pm »
The dress code thing is a really good idea. But for the Ouran themed thing, whould the dress code be the same as a regualar ball? Like last year's (without the bad examples), or would it be actual Ouran themed?

I mean, it's one thing to have Ouran characters there to dance with and be able to teach, and it's another to have only Ouran looking people be aloud in.
~Sakuracon/Kumoricon 2014~
King Candy (Sugar Rush)
Dot (Animaniacs)
Ice King (Adventure Time)
Beetlejuice (Animated Series)
Cosmo (FOP)
Octodad (Octodad)

https://www.facebook.com/smilingmooncosplay

Offline Cassiopeia

• Bunnygirl
    • Cake on a Plane!~
« Reply #24 on: January 03, 2009, 01:35:27 am »
No, that wouldn't happen, that only Ouran cosplayers would be allowed in. Too much discrimination for what should be a bigger event. :) Formal wear and dressy cosplay would be allowed. Possibly nix the masks, though that would be entertaining for the hosts. xD I can imagine them now... Identical masks for Hikaru and Kaoru, a really elaborate one for Tamaki, something sleek for Kyouya, a cute mask for Hunny, a mask that is not too attention grabbing or maybe a manly mask for Mori, and something simple for Haruhi.

The Ouran-themed part would be having hosts to dance with, some Ouran music as part of the playlist, screencaps of the ball episode to show people some examples of what to wear (but not be limited to that), maybe a hug from the king (or host of choice?) as a prize to the best dancer or something (thinking back to that episode).

Offline nikkiolie

• Facebook
« Reply #25 on: January 10, 2009, 09:40:41 pm »
That sounds like it would be a lot of fun. And I am all for the dress code. I don't think it is as much fun if formal wear and cosplays are allowed. Some costume are just way to casual.

Offline ChiiHime

• Cabbit
« Reply #26 on: January 25, 2009, 08:29:00 pm »
Yes! I can get some screenshots online if needed (I know where to get them)

And im sorry that I haven't been on, my computer broke :(
Kumoricon 09 Cosplay!!
Chii (Chobits)
Haruhi Fujioka (Ouran)

Offline spindrift76

• Cabbit
    • http://
« Reply #27 on: January 27, 2009, 09:55:57 pm »

I have a suggestion that might help make the "masqurade ball" more like what it was intended to be and that is have a "Mask" contest.  Have there be a competition and then do a reward ceremony and then go into a dance.  That way the idea of it being a "masked" event is still fun and people who arn't in a mask can have fun and watch people who are participating in the contest just like in the cosplay contest.
Minion of the Otaku 7