Author Topic: The Creator of the Glomp Circle  (Read 4464 times)

Offline gladimus

• Sailor Scout
The Creator of the Glomp Circle
« on: October 30, 2008, 09:13:01 pm »
Hi everyone. Back in Kumoricon 06, I got together a few people and created a convention spin-off of 'Spin the bottle' called "Glomp spin the ramune bottle", which was later compressed and called 'Glomp Circle' by the many that played it.
This game was played twice in 06.
In 07, I gathered yet another group of people, and the game spread out so much that everyone had to move outside to play. Actually... The game spread more than I expected, it was played many many times, and was still being played in 08, and even spread to Sakuracon.

Here is my one issue. I can't seem to prove I was the one who made it. *whimper* On youtube I've posted on peoples' videos simply saying that I created the game originally and my post was downvoted and some people said I had no proof. It sorta hurts that no one believes me...
Here is my only evidence-
http://www.kumoricon.org/forums/index.php?topic=4570.0
I created this topic about the glomp circle game in may of 2007, 3 months before Kumoricon 07. The game was never played before kumoricon 07 except 2 times in 06, one out in the courtyard and the other outside the kumoricon closing cerimonies. So really, no one knew about this game until 07, when it spread out and became a very widely played game. I'm happy it's so popular now, but at the same time I have this sad feeling because, well... no one knows who made it.

I know I wont get much fame for it or anything but I just want people to know I made it and I'd like if people stopped downrating me on youtube for saying I did, because I'm not saying it in a rude way... ; x;
Maybe because my youtube name is different from my forum name? My youtube name is BaldRattie .__.

Oh well, I'm glad so many people enjoy playing, I hope the game continues to spread out to many conventions >:3

Offline AnimeMatrix

• Chibi
Re: The Creator of the Glomp Circle
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2008, 04:25:56 am »
Ummm- congratulations for creating such a popular game? I'm sorry if I miss the point of the post and I'm not saying that I don't believe you (especially since I don't participate in the Glomp Circle and have no context for the reasons behind this thread), but alot of people go unrecognized for their achievements- how do you think staff feel sometimes (or the person that created the Nike swoosh)? Don't feel bad just because no one on YouTube believes you- in fact, sometimes making a post like this makes people less inclined to believe that you created it because it makes you appear petty. I'm not saying you are petty because once again, I have never met you and have no context for what has happened on YouTube (though I do think it's rude to downrate you on YouTube for something as simple as this), but some people just might see it that way.

Maybe you could make it a panel at Kumori Con. If it's an official event at Kumori Con, maybe then people will start recognizing you as the creator ^_^.

Offline superjaz

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2008, 08:11:21 am »
a glomping pannel would be a great way to stake your claim, and spread the fun too

bottom line people on youtube are jerks often, it gives them a chance to be insulting and rude with out having to fess up to it
superjaz, that is jaz with one z count'um ONE z!
Proud mom of 2 awesome kids

Offline BigGuy

• Catgirl
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2008, 09:19:41 am »
I kinda know how you feel. I run the Anime that scarred me for life panel and can't tell if someone else has ever done the same panel, whether they did it before me or if someone copied it and is doing it at some other convention. I just always refer to it as "my" panel, but I don't know how I'd prove it to someone who didn't believe me.
And now I'm a catgirl?

The voice of the one I love
was all I could hear as I lay broken in the darkness
My own voice faltered
My wings no longer had the strength to fly
 -Lagoon Engine Einsatz-

Offline Deviant Spider

• Chibi
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2008, 11:14:59 am »
Honestly if you know that you created it than be proud of it and disregard what others think. I LOVE the idea for a Glomp Panel but unfortunatly the circle itself will still need to be outside due to the size of those circles and the lack of safety rules.

I ran into a simular situation this year as well. I ran the speed dating panel (which everyone knows about speed dating from various places) and I actually had someone from Sakuracon come and declair that we stold their panel. How rediculous. I didnt create speed dating and neither did Sakuracon its been around for MANY years and they debut it last year too. Sillyness.

2008 Adult Content Coordinator
2009 Adult Content Coordinator
Onyxspider@gmail.com

Offline tofutakeout

• Bunnygirl
    • Deviantart
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2008, 10:24:29 am »
I personally do believe you. I wasn't there when you first created it. and I think the reason why people don't want to believe is because their just jealous. now I don't about other parts of the nation/world but I think you did create it here. that link seems like proof enough. :3 and my friends and I do love the love very much.
da/tumblr
Pull the trigger, pull the trigger, pull the trigger. BOOM

Offline reppy

• Bunnygirl
    • http://www.animemsn.com
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2008, 08:36:56 pm »
I do know the first time I ever saw a glomp circle was in 2007.

Clark Anime: http://clarkanime.com
Facebook: http://facebook.com/reppy
Kumoricon 2005-10 galleries: http://dunpeal.net/gallery

Offline xxxchihiroxxx

• Bunnygirl
    • My deviantart
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2008, 09:49:55 pm »
Honestly if you know that you created it than be proud of it and disregard what others think. I LOVE the idea for a Glomp Panel but unfortunatly the circle itself will still need to be outside due to the size of those circles and the lack of safety rules.

I ran into a simular situation this year as well. I ran the speed dating panel (which everyone knows about speed dating from various places) and I actually had someone from Sakuracon come and declair that we stold their panel. How rediculous. I didnt create speed dating and neither did Sakuracon its been around for MANY years and they debut it last year too. Sillyness.

i was actualy talking to them in the elivator.. they said something about how they did it the year before and they were hoping to do it again at 08... i dont think they were mad at you so much as the people who said they made a huge deal about it. the only thing they had that you didnt i think is theirs was all ages.
returning with a vengeance to K con~

Offline Deviant Spider

• Chibi
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2008, 10:29:51 pm »

i was actualy talking to them in the elivator.. they said something about how they did it the year before and they were hoping to do it again at 08... i dont think they were mad at you so much as the people who said they made a huge deal about it. the only thing they had that you didnt i think is theirs was all ages.

Yeah our biggest concern was some 14 year old ending up with a 30 year old stalker. (or worse) We made it 18+ just for that reason. Also most parents of 14 year olds wouldnt be comfortable knowing that their son/daughter was at a con sponsered "hook up" panel with the potential of being with people over 18. We are toying with the idea of having a Speed Con-Meetup, were people can meet people without the context of "dating." We ran out of time/rooms to do a under 18 speed dating/meetup panel last year.

Also I didnt submit the paperwork for the panel till REALLY late as we desperatly needed ideas for 18+ panels. I really wish that somone would have put it in before me as I was so spread thin but at least we had one. LOL. Working on better ideas for next year allready.

*End of side conversation (If you want to talk more on this subject please PM me :))
2008 Adult Content Coordinator
2009 Adult Content Coordinator
Onyxspider@gmail.com

Offline soundninja12

• Bunnygirl
    • ILOVEYOUGUYSSOMUCH
« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2008, 09:07:20 am »
OMG! you created the glomp circle!? You're a genius! Although I'm still confused about how to play, so many people had so much fun playing! If you were in the same room as me I'd glomp you! LOVE GLOMP CIRCLE! I give you full creation rights.
You gonna be @ '09?!
If you are, who you gonna be cosplaying as?
Thanks for post, full creation rights granted.
Next con: Kumoricon
Make sure to pop in to the Tiptoe Through the TARDIS panel this year.
It is going to be...

Offline Teasel

• Catgirl
    • Facebook goodness
« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2008, 09:18:46 am »
I salute you!
"Yes, that's a gun in my pants. But that doesn't mean I'm not happy to see you."

Offline superjaz

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2008, 05:00:44 pm »
this makes me think of my younger brother he was the first link cosplayer at kumoricon year one
but peeps who think that the first year was in portland and NOT springfield dont belive him....
superjaz, that is jaz with one z count'um ONE z!
Proud mom of 2 awesome kids

Offline makichan

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2008, 05:38:37 pm »
I think you should just feel happy that you did it. Forget the fame or the acknowledgment. Everyone is always going to take that away from you.
Since you know in your heart that you started it, it doesn't matter what others think  ;)
"I like the way you fire that gun."
"Thanks. I like the way you take a bullet."

Offline MiriaRose

• Bunnygirl
    • The Kingdom of Heaven
« Reply #13 on: November 23, 2008, 08:11:14 pm »
Oh, wow. I'm sorry people don't believe you. I guess when something becomes popular like that people dispute over the creator.

Glomp circles are fun, though, and I'm glad you created 'em. People on YouTube tend to be not very nice, though, which would explain their behavior.
"Would you kindly. ."

Offline The_Panda

• Sailor Scout
    • My Myspace
« Reply #14 on: November 30, 2008, 04:46:41 pm »
Hey, so, I run the "Official" red rover/glomp circle '08 thread, ((http://www.kumoricon.org/forums/index.php?topic=8318.0)) and I just wanted to say, I can totally believe that you made it up. It's all good. I might've stated somewhere that sand ninja, (('08's red rover/glomp circle referee of sorts)) originally created it, but if you have those videos, then it's all good.

Have fun convincing,

The Panda.

Offline gladimus

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #15 on: December 03, 2008, 07:16:08 pm »
Thanks for commenting everyone!

Sorry I hadn't read in a while, was on vacation. But I think the Panel is a great idea, obviously it needs to be outside, I know the bottle broke indoors once and then of course the blocking the halls issue. I'll start looking in to how to get a panel.

I'm not the type to go up to people and say "hey you stole my game!" or anything, I'm glad people like it. Actually I'm excited to see how far it spreads.

I will be going to 09, to the person who asked, and I tend to have more than one costume for each day, so far I'm planning to be Nyu from Elfen Lied, Pit from Smash Bros Brawl, Spirit from Soul Eater, and some friends and I are hoping to be a Zetsubou Sensei group one of the days.