Author Topic: Anime fan needs his recommendations!  (Read 7361 times)

Offline The_Panda

• Sailor Scout
    • My Myspace
Anime fan needs his recommendations!
« on: November 30, 2008, 04:51:45 pm »
So, even though I would like to call myself a hardcore anime fan, I have been rather sheltered, and as such, have not read some really key manga that a true anime fan should read. Does anyone have a list or something?

Offline nikkiolie

• It's over nine THOUSAND!!!!!
    • Facebook
Re: Anime fan needs his recommendations!
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2008, 04:55:52 pm »
Death Note
Cowboy Bebop
FLCL
Gurren Lagann

should be familiar with:
Naruto
Bleach
Death Note

those are some big ones....can't really think of many now =/
« Last Edit: November 30, 2008, 04:56:53 pm by nikkiolie »

Offline The_Panda

• Sailor Scout
    • My Myspace
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2008, 05:03:08 pm »
Death Note
Cowboy Bebop
FLCL
Gurren Lagann

should be familiar with:
Naruto
Bleach
Death Note

Already got most of the big name ones. Death Note, naruto and bleach. Cowboy bebop, eh? I'll have to look at that. And what are the other two about?

Offline tofutakeout

• Bunnygirl
    • Deviantart
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2008, 05:04:29 pm »
I think it mostly depends on what your interest is. I mean sure, everyone should know who sailor moon is but they don't need to actually watch it and follow along with the story. so basically you should be asking for some good animes to watch to catch an interest in. :3

do you just want any series from any genre with no preferences or specifics? or you want to give me some guide lines to give you some you might enjoy?
da/tumblr
Pull the trigger, pull the trigger, pull the trigger. BOOM

Offline The_Panda

• Sailor Scout
    • My Myspace
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2008, 05:13:11 pm »
I think it mostly depends on what your interest is. I mean sure, everyone should know who sailor moon is but they don't need to actually watch it and follow along with the story. so basically you should be asking for some good animes to watch to catch an interest in. :3

do you just want any series from any genre with no preferences or specifics? or you want to give me some guide lines to give you some you might enjoy?
Pretty much anything. I pretty much like everything, so anything good from all genres is great.

Offline soundninja12

• Bunnygirl
    • ILOVEYOUGUYSSOMUCH
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2008, 05:19:38 pm »
If you like strangely addicting funny animes, than you should try Ouran high school host club. Another, completely different one is Rouroni Kenshin (did I spell that right?). and if you've seen both of these, than cool.
Just remembered another.
try .hack, it's really amusing.
Next con: Kumoricon
Make sure to pop in to the Tiptoe Through the TARDIS panel this year.
It is going to be...

Offline tofutakeout

• Bunnygirl
    • Deviantart
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2008, 05:26:58 pm »
well then,
how about PHD Phantasy degree
Burst Angel/Bakuretsu Tenshi
Samurai Champloo
revolutionary Girl Utena
Hikaru No Go
anything made by CLAMP
Record of Loddoss War
Trinity Blood, Hellsing
Vampire Hunter D
Nodame Cantabile
Ouran High School Host Club(why not? XD)
Excel Saga
Sayoonara Zetsubou Sensei
Majin Tantei Nougami Neuro
Ikki Tousen/battle vixens
Kaleido Star
Lovely Complex(love*com)
Tramps Like Us
Vagabond

........that's all I can come up with now. :/ I think that's good for now. XD
da/tumblr

Offline nikkiolie

• Facebook
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2008, 05:38:57 pm »
Death Note
Cowboy Bebop
FLCL
Gurren Lagann

should be familiar with:
Naruto
Bleach
Death Note

Already got most of the big name ones. Death Note, naruto and bleach. Cowboy bebop, eh? I'll have to look at that. And what are the other two about?

FLCL is....well....very interesting. Its....I have no idea how to describe it but it is a comedy and pretty good. I'm not too far in it (I've seen 3 out of the 6 episodes)

and I have only seen one episode of Gurren Lagann but everyone says that it is really good.

Offline StarryShay

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2008, 06:54:55 pm »
Code Geass
Fruits Basket
Gunslinger Girl
Uzumaki  (Scary Dx)
Higurashi (Also Scary)
Fullmetal Alchemist

8D

Offline Trumby

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2008, 06:57:38 pm »
http://myanimelist.net/animelist/Trumby

Pretty much every anime I've ever seen on there. There's a bunch I haven't rated yet, but most of the stuff on there I would recommend for someone else to watch.
2011 New Cosplay Plans: Boba Fett, Hoshi (Arakawa Under the Bridge), Malcolm Reynolds

Offline Hazuza

• Bunnygirl
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2008, 06:59:25 pm »
*seconds code geass while foaming* DDD8

Higurashi no naku koro ni is pretty good, but plot-wise you gotta sift through some boring/predicable parts >.<

Offline Higuma

• Catgirl
    • My anime list
« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2008, 09:17:10 pm »
Kenichi: histories stronest desciple
Neon Genisis evangelion
Eureka 7
Bleach
Naruto
Death Note
D.Gray Man
Ouron High school host club
Monster
Ergo Proxy
FMA
Tsubasa Chronicle
Speed Grapher
Fate Stay Night
And Many many more I cant think of now

Offline Radien

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2008, 02:50:55 am »
Meh! A true anime fan watches what they like, in my opinion. If someone told me I had to watch Naruto in order to be a "true anime fan," they'd witness a deathglare that'd make Ryuk jealous.

That said, I can't believe nobody's mentioned Trigun yet... seeing as it's both insanely popular AND incredibly well-done.  Sure, it has been around for awhile now, but that doesn't necessarily detract from its significance. (Heck, the same could be said for Astro Boy, if we were to take it to extremes... ;) )
A member of Eugene Cosplayers. Come hang out with us.

Kumori Con 2010 Cosplays:

Link (The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess)
Apollo Justice

Offline tofutakeout

• Bunnygirl
    • Deviantart
« Reply #13 on: December 01, 2008, 05:11:19 pm »
they'd witness a deathglare that'd make Ryuk jealous.
Ha ha! I said the same thing about liking whatever you want, but that last bit was priceless. XD

I'm sorry no one mentioned trigun.  I know I was forgetting some series or just got tired of typing at that point. :/ but yes, it is amazing!
da/tumblr

Offline nikkiolie

• Facebook
« Reply #14 on: December 01, 2008, 05:39:59 pm »
I mearly suggested being familiar with the plot of naruto. A lot of people cosplay from it and there is a lot of jokes regarding it so it would be nice to have an idea of what a lot of people are talking about.

Offline Mister_manji

• Chibi
« Reply #15 on: December 01, 2008, 08:55:22 pm »
Cowboy Bebop
Trigun
Black Lagoon
Gurren Lagann
Rurouni Kenshin
Outlaw Star
Neon Genesis Evangelion
Berserk
Martian Successor Nadesico
Suzumiya Haruhi no Yuutsu
Baccano!
Genshiken
Full Metal Alchemist
Mushishi
Ghost in the Shell: SAC
Slayers
Escaflowne
Dominion Tank Police
Claymore
Soul Eater
Mobile Suit Gundam: Wing
Mobile Suit Gundam: 8th MS Team, 0083, and original
Kino's Journey
Excel Saga
Samurai Champloo
Darker Than Black
Irresponsible Captain Tylor
Hellsing Ultimate.
FLCL
Gunbuster, Gunbuster 2
Kare Kano

get to work. All of the above are absolute must-sees.

K-Con attendee 2004, 2006
2007 Programming Staff
2008 Programming Staff
2009 Special Events Manager
2010 Assistant Director of Operations
2011 Assistant Director of Operations

Offline VampireFangs103

• Catgirl
« Reply #16 on: December 01, 2008, 09:52:45 pm »
I DEFINITELY agree with those who recommended "The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya". That's a must see. VERY entertaining and random. Expect a very random storyline for this one. 13 Episodes for this one.

Ouran High is also a good, amusing one. It's somewhat shojo, but you'd probably like it anyways. 26 Episodes.

Fruits Basket is good as well. More girls like it, but again, it has an amusing storyline, and you'll probably like it. Again, 26 Episodes.

My favorite is Fushigi Yugi. It's not very well known, and it was made in the 90's, so the animation is kind of rough. But the art is beautiful. There are around 65 episodes, including the OVAs. Truly amazing storyline.

Hope that may help a little. ^^

Offline Radien

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #17 on: December 02, 2008, 03:26:43 am »
I mearly suggested being familiar with the plot of naruto. A lot of people cosplay from it and there is a lot of jokes regarding it so it would be nice to have an idea of what a lot of people are talking about.

Hmm. I would argue that most of the time, there is no need. If you see a little of Naruto and like it....great! Go watch more. But if it doesn't grow on you, there's no need to give it much more attention. The convention is so saturated with information about Naruto that sooner or later, you will know enough about it to "get" references to the series (and perhaps even make a few yourself). Actually, there are already a number of anime series that I could tell you quite a bit about, despite technically never having seen a single episode. All thanks to seeing plenty of AMVs and cosplay skits, and just listening to people's conversations.

Here's a little anecdote:

When I was in college, the Truly Unnamed Anime Club (TUNAC) met at the University of Oregon (TUNAC is now disbanded, mostly due to members graduating). Back when we were still holding weekly meetings, we watched a few fansubs of Naruto.  This was before it was well-known in America. The club was generally unimpressed, and it ended up actually getting voted out of the viewing schedule (2 of 8 shows were dropped).

Now, here's the kicker: almost all of Kumori Con's founders were members of this club at the time.

...It's just funny how popularity ebbs and flows, really. For instance, VampireFangs103 referred to Fushigi Yuugi as "not very well known." This makes me chuckle, because I remember how people were going crazy about that show back when the fansubs first came out. :) (myself included)

they'd witness a deathglare that'd make Ryuk jealous.
Ha ha! I said the same thing about liking whatever you want, but that last bit was priceless. XD

I'm sorry no one mentioned trigun.  I know I was forgetting some series or just got tired of typing at that point. :/ but yes, it is amazing!

Hehe, thanks. ;) Death Note is just one of those serious anime that is deliciously fun to poke fun at. I wish I had time to watch the whole series.  Also, I wholly agree with your first post, too.

I think it was probably just coincidence that Trigun hadn't been mentioned yet. I do hope it hasn't lost much popularity, because the Sci Fi Western genre holds a place close to my heart. <3
« Last Edit: December 02, 2008, 03:40:17 am by Radien »

Apollo Justice

Offline tofutakeout

• Bunnygirl
    • Deviantart
« Reply #18 on: December 02, 2008, 05:20:19 pm »
I actually wanted to also mention higurashi when they cry. thought of that today during school. I don't think anyone has said it yet. >_>
da/tumblr

Offline nikkiolie

• Facebook
« Reply #19 on: December 02, 2008, 05:30:49 pm »

Hmm. I would argue that most of the time, there is no need. If you see a little of Naruto and like it....great! Go watch more. But if it doesn't grow on you, there's no need to give it much more attention. The convention is so saturated with information about Naruto that sooner or later, you will know enough about it to "get" references to the series (and perhaps even make a few yourself). Actually, there are already a number of anime series that I could tell you quite a bit about, despite technically never having seen a single episode. All thanks to seeing plenty of AMVs and cosplay skits, and just listening to people's conversations.

When I was in college, the Truly Unnamed Anime Club (TUNAC) met at the University of Oregon (TUNAC is now disbanded, mostly due to members graduating). Back when we were still holding weekly meetings, we watched a few fansubs of Naruto.  This was before it was well-known in America. The club was generally unimpressed, and it ended up actually getting voted out of the viewing schedule (2 of 8 shows were dropped).

Now, here's the kicker: almost all of Kumori Con's founders were members of this club at the time.

...It's just funny how popularity ebbs and flows, really. For instance, VampireFangs103 referred to Fushigi Yuugi as "not very well known." This makes me chuckle, because I remember how people were going crazy about that show back when the fansubs first came out. :) (myself included)

Again what I meant was not to watch it but know enough about it to be like oh, that is a joke from Naruto. I said be familiar with it not watch it, and yes I agree that you can learn all you need to know through conversations.

Offline Wuntvor

• Catgirl
    • http://wuntvor.home.comcast.net/anime_list.htm
« Reply #20 on: December 02, 2008, 06:27:08 pm »

I think that was before even I had attended TUNAC for the first time.  I joined in when you were playing Scrapped Princess and Stellvia.  I'm trying to remember what else we were watching.  Ultra Maniac?  Witch Hunter Robin?  Full Metal Alchemist? Chrono Crusade?  I get confused about when I saw some of those shows for the first time.

Panda, I think I mentioned it once already in the Eugene Meetup thread, but if you really want to sample anime, COME TO ANIME FRIDAY!   I think Radien can vouch for me.  I am not an otaku eating vampire, although some of the regulars are definitely anime otakus needing their weekly anime fix.   ;D  I have one member who begs to come in early so she can watch Zettai Karen Children and Shonen Onmyoji.  She even asked me where I kept my kitchen knives when I suggested we stop watching one evening.  :o  Needless to say, we continued watching. (The look on her face was truly scary).

I have about 95% of the anime listed so far in this thread, in their entirety, including Naruto, D.Gray-man, and Bleach.  Feel free to contact me if you want to come by and watch stuff.
(\,@/)  Quote from -  Rock & Rule
(=','=)  Stretch: MOK! Don't let him get us!  He'll put a heck on me!
 //_\\   Dizzy:    Hexx, Stretch.  Hexx.
  d b    Stretch: Aw!  Two of them!  That's even worse!

Offline paprika

• Chibi
« Reply #21 on: December 02, 2008, 06:34:55 pm »
Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei, Princess Tutu, and Majin Tantei Nougami Neuro are all amazing anime.
Except I haven't exactly finished Neuro...but I'm far enough to know I love it.

Offline makichan

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #22 on: December 02, 2008, 06:44:11 pm »
Soul Eater, 5cm a second, nodame no cantabile, The girl who cut time, Paradise Kiss, Full Metal Alchemist, Samurai Champloo, Fruits Basket, Vampire Knight, The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya, Kare Kano, etc.
But if you haven't watched Cowboy Bebop I'd DEFINITELY start with that.
Ssssooo good ^^
"I like the way you fire that gun."
"Thanks. I like the way you take a bullet."

Offline KogaRyu

• Catgirl
« Reply #23 on: December 02, 2008, 10:09:42 pm »
And here is meh list

Manga
Air Gear
Battle Royale
Gantz
Initial D
Sgt. Frog
Soul Eater
Tsubasa Reservoir Chronicles
xXx Holic

Anime

Comedy!..                                                                      If you like Mecha...
   Excell Saga                                                                         Full Metal Panic
   Full Metal Panic Fumoffu                                                        Gundam Wing
   Lucky Star                                                                          Mobile Suit Gundam
   Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi                                       Gundam 8th MS
   Meloncholy of Haruhi Suzumiya                                               Gundam 0080 War in the pocket
   Ouran High school Host Club                                                  Gundam 0083 Stardust Memory
                                                                                           Patlabor
                                                                                           Robotech

Action!                                                           Fan Favs/Classics!..
           Apple Seed                                                                 CardCaptors
           Blue Sub Six                                                               Cowboy Bebop
           Fate Stay Night                                                           Escaflowne
           Gunslinger                                                                  Gundam Wing
           Hellsing Ultimate                                                          Outlaw Star
           Read or Die                                                                 Rurouni Kenshin
           Samurai Champloo                                                        Sailor Moon
           Yu Yu Hakusho                                                            Tenchi Muyo   
           Zoids
Whats Current/ Hawt on the Streets
Bleach
Code Geass
Death Note
Full metal Alchemist
Gurren Lagann
Naruto

If i missed anything im sure someone else will be able to post it. This is all thats coming to mind at the moment, oh and be sure to check out anything by Miyazaki!

« Last Edit: December 02, 2008, 10:21:02 pm by KogaRyu »
Team Koga

Offline Radien

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #24 on: December 02, 2008, 11:23:14 pm »
I think that was before even I had attended TUNAC for the first time.  I joined in when you were playing Scrapped Princess and Stellvia.  I'm trying to remember what else we were watching.  Ultra Maniac?  Witch Hunter Robin?  Full Metal Alchemist? Chrono Crusade?  I get confused about when I saw some of those shows for the first time.

Yes, it was pretty early on. Naruto didn't hit American TV immediately, after all. We didn't even hate it. We were just unimpressed. Although, notably, BigGuy (our 2009 Vice Chair) was around then, and he's still a big Naruto fan (in stature as well as fervor).

Chrono Crusade came after TUNAC disbanded, I think. Or at least after I stopped going regularly. I remember it was still very new when I went to Japan. Heh, the first time I saw the cover I thought it was a Chrono Trigger ripoff (very far off from the truth).  I would recommend Chrono Crusade if it weren't for it's extremely disappointing conclusion.

Panda, I think I mentioned it once already in the Eugene Meetup thread, but if you really want to sample anime, COME TO ANIME FRIDAY!   I think Radien can vouch for me.  I am not an otaku eating vampire, although some of the regulars are definitely anime otakus needing their weekly anime fix.   ;D  I have one member who begs to come in early so she can watch Zettai Karen Children and Shonen Onmyoji.  She even asked me where I kept my kitchen knives when I suggested we stop watching one evening.  :o  Needless to say, we continued watching. (The look on her face was truly scary).

I have about 95% of the anime listed so far in this thread, in their entirety, including Naruto, D.Gray-man, and Bleach.  Feel free to contact me if you want to come by and watch stuff.

Yeah, go visit Wuntvor on Fridays! I would've been a regular if it hadn't been for the long drive from my place in Springfield. Actually, right now I'm kinda wishing I had a regular excuse to finish a couple of series I haven't gotten around to yet (Haruhi and Death Note...note sure whether you've already watched them with your group).

Apollo Justice

Offline megchan

• Sailor Scout
    • An LJ that DOESN'T have locked entries?!
« Reply #25 on: December 03, 2008, 12:27:14 pm »
SABER MARIONETTE. NOW.

And I second Kenshin. I LOVE KENSHIN. Bleach wishes it was Kenshin.

Anakin, you're breaking my heart if you don't come to "I'd Just as Soon Kiss a Wookiee: A Star Wars Panel" at Kumoricon!

Offline Radien

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #26 on: December 09, 2008, 03:06:39 am »
SABER MARIONETTE. NOW.

And I second Kenshin. I LOVE KENSHIN. Bleach wishes it was Kenshin.

Heck yeah. To both of those. (I haven't seen Bleach though, so can't compare properly)

Apollo Justice

Offline Deviant Spider

• Chibi
« Reply #27 on: December 09, 2008, 06:46:08 pm »
If your into Yuri (girls loving girls). Ill give you some great titles.

Blue Drop
Kannazuki no Miko
Maria-sama ga Miteru
Revolutionary Girl Utena
Simoun
Strawberry Panic!
Yami to Bōshi to Hon no Tabibito

None of these are Hentai, all verry innocent, cute, and many have amazing art.
If you ARE into the Hentai Yuri ill give you a different list. :)
2008 Adult Content Coordinator
2009 Adult Content Coordinator
Onyxspider@gmail.com

Offline The_Panda

• Sailor Scout
    • My Myspace
« Reply #28 on: December 10, 2008, 09:19:24 pm »
If your into Yuri (girls loving girls). Ill give you some great titles.

Blue Drop
Kannazuki no Miko
Maria-sama ga Miteru
Revolutionary Girl Utena
Simoun
Strawberry Panic!
Yami to Bōshi to Hon no Tabibito

None of these are Hentai, all verry innocent, cute, and many have amazing art.
If you ARE into the Hentai Yuri ill give you a different list. :)
YURI!!! sweet......Yeah, I could use one or two hentai titles. Are they online, or are they actual manga?

Offline tofutakeout

• Bunnygirl
    • Deviantart
« Reply #29 on: December 10, 2008, 09:27:22 pm »
to heart is also a yuri and so is hanaukyo maid team. the second one isn't as cute. it's a lot more sexual and nudity involved.
da/tumblr

Offline Deviant Spider

• Chibi
« Reply #30 on: December 11, 2008, 08:53:12 pm »
Stainless Night is romantic soft hentai. Hentai with a real story. (Anime)
La Blue Girl just makes me laugh. (Live action with tentacles)
Lesbian Ward (Anime, the name is all you need lol)
Body Transfer (Anime, amuzing)
2008 Adult Content Coordinator
2009 Adult Content Coordinator
Onyxspider@gmail.com