Author Topic: DND!  (Read 23507 times)

Offline Tankou001

• Sailor Scout
DND!
« on: November 27, 2008, 03:37:38 pm »
Hey everyone!
Personally I am a major dnd player, and I was wondering if anyone else here was too. I like 3.5, but I hat 4.0 DX
Also if you have any ideas for campaigns if you are a dnd fanatic as I am i would like to know what they are XP
Cosplay Progress:
Akimichi Chouji: 90%
Big Macintosh: 20%

Offline DancingTofu

• Bunnygirl
Re: DND!
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2008, 10:44:01 pm »
I hat 4.0 a little too.  I kind of grew up with 3.0, then 3.5 came out right about when I got the money for the books.  I run my campaigns more loosely, as you're supposed to, using whatever dice seem to fit the situation and utilising almost anything as a miniature.  I've used everything from Google SketchUp to Legos for maps.  I've played some GURPS as well; I like the simplicity of the system better than 3.5, but running a game out of the books is boring.  Also, you've got to spend 20 hours nonstop killin' goblins and chuggin' Viso or it just isn't as rewarding.

I've got a campaign I'm working on now; might start another soon.  The one I've been working on is all in Google SketchUp.  I've spent about 50 hours building a 40mb 3D model of the setting so far and I've barely even started the dungeon. :P
moderators gonna moderate </shrug>

Offline Tankou001

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2008, 11:45:46 pm »
I enjoy 3.5 most of all, and I love the epic stuff too.
I play paranoia, gurps, champions, shadow run, and so many other table top rpgs I can't begin to count them XD
Cosplay Progress:

Offline DancingTofu

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2008, 11:48:53 pm »
Whereabouts are you?  I'm in the Milwaukie/Gladstone area.  Been looking for people to do some D&D/GURPS with for a while.

Offline Tankou001

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2008, 11:51:04 pm »
North portland, but within the next few months I will be moving into my own place where no doubt we could host a table at some point. I am not sure where my new place will be but I am sure I can get somewhere central ^_^
Cosplay Progress:

Offline DancingTofu

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2008, 11:53:26 pm »
Sweet.  I'll probably be moving either central or out of town (depending on whether I wind up going to Reed, PSU, UW, or UO) after I finish Spring term at CCC.

Offline Tankou001

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2008, 11:54:47 pm »
go for psu, dude
the place is awesome XP
Cosplay Progress:

Offline Toxikon

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2008, 11:59:06 pm »
I love DnD!  I only got into it recently though (about two years ago).  Our group's main DM went to Scotland this term, so we've been running smaller campaigns until he gets back.

I haven't played in 4.0 yet, but the gigantic game my DM is planning for winter term is going to run in 4.0.  We'll see how it goes I guess.
My Kumoricon 2008 photos can be found here.

Secret SakuraCon cosplay progress: 30%

Offline Tankou001

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2008, 12:02:43 am »
I HAVE HEARD OF YOU!!! I AM THE MORE EPIC ONE XD
Cosplay Progress:

Offline DancingTofu

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2008, 12:16:04 am »
If I get accepted to Reed, I'm going there, no contest.
PSU doesn't have a lot to offer me.  All of it's Math, Music, and Engineering programs are pretty much just par.  I probably won't go to PSU unless all my credits from CCC transfer and I get a full scholarship.
UO and UW are probably the best two public Universities in the region.  I'll go to either of those if I can't get into Reed and they offer me significantly higher scholarships than PSU. :P

Offline Tankou001

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2008, 12:33:11 am »
Any way you look at it however, central portland area is prolly the best thing to get to since it would be abut an hour at mos going anyhere, but normally 30 minutes to most places
Cosplay Progress:

Offline kylite

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2008, 12:40:54 am »
I loved 3.0. but then 3.5 reared its head and neutered the rogues :)
Yojimbo Assistant Manager, Hopeless Flirt
Work: Monday-Friday 12:30-9:39pm
We don't need Kira... we have kylite.  - randompvg

Offline NeonFoxRocks

• Catgirl
    • Faceroll
« Reply #12 on: November 29, 2008, 02:19:10 am »
I never got to be able to get in a group and play DnD with regularity or with seriousness (not acting like it needs to be srs business though) so i just got stuck with playing baldurs gate and other solo dnd games lol i'm in se portland i might be up for something
++Wooper++Wooper++Wooper++

方囲!定礎!結!

Offline dshwshr55

• Chibi
« Reply #13 on: November 29, 2008, 05:12:24 am »
Man, I wish I could find some people up here near Seattle to tabletop with T_T  My favorite system is WhiteWolf, specifically Werewolf:The Apocolypse, though.
Heh, after growing up on AD&D 2nd, everything other version seems like cake.

Offline Tankou001

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #14 on: November 29, 2008, 04:15:52 pm »
Kylite: I like 3.5, and 3.0, and most of all I like to mix the best ofboth so that rogues, and druids don't get netered, monks don't have to pay for special pluses, and rangers dn't suck so bad...

Neon: I might be able to invite you fr a tabletop game, but not at my oplace until I get my place up, and all that. I am in ne, but i trek down to SE portland a lot.
Cosplay Progress:

Offline Serika

• Catgirl
« Reply #15 on: November 29, 2008, 04:32:30 pm »
Hey!  I want to try this out, but I've never played it before.  My friend's dad is going to get it, but I don't think they really have an idea of what to look for.  and neither do I. 

So, here are my questions.  If I/we wanted to play this for the long-haul, but wanted it to have room for some silliness (Like, I want to be a schoolgirl for giggles.  Sorry I'm not respecting this the way you guys are...), and still have a lot of the fantasy elements, what would be the right, uhh, game to buy?

And what other items are necessary/encouraged along with the game itself? 

Thanks a lot. 8D
lol peer pressure

Plans:
Kumoricon '11: Catherine (Catherine), Nanami (Revolutionary Girl Utena)
Sakuracon '12: Ryfia (Arc Rise Fantasia), other things

Offline Tankou001

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #16 on: November 29, 2008, 04:44:50 pm »
The three core rulebooks are necessarry as per usual, and a map is always helpful. Any books can go, but if you wanted silliness, and crazy stuff like schoolgirl stuff, then i would say the book of erotic fantasy wouldbe a good book. Lords of madness is also a good book for funny games since it takes anity into the whole equation.

So here would be a starter list.
Player's handbook 3.5/3.0
Dungeon Master's guide 3.5/3.0
Monster manual 3.5/3.0
Lords of madness
Book of erotic fantasy
Map
Miniatures kit

That will make a fun game, and a definite good one for a beginner.
Also get a practice dm, or some players that are practiced bcause people going into dnd without a guy who knows it can turn dsastrous...
Cosplay Progress:

Offline Tankou001

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #17 on: November 29, 2008, 05:13:54 pm »
Personally I woulod be hapy to inttroduce you to thegame myself if you like. My group is "disbanding" since t is just my mom, and step dad, and best friend. I am looking for a new group if I can ^_^
Cosplay Progress:

Offline DancingTofu

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #18 on: November 29, 2008, 08:14:22 pm »
Get a set of dice.  It's $4 or $5 for a full set (4, 6, 8, 10, %, 12, 20) at most card or comic shops.  Try Things From Another World.

The three core rulebooks are also a must-have.  Any 1"x1" square grid works for a map.  Hell, you actually don't need a map, but they're helpful.  If you don't want to shell out for a grid, you don't need one.  You can just get a "soft" tape measure (like what you use to take body measurements or measure diametres) and draw out the map on a large piece of paper or a whiteboard and use a universal scale (1" = 5' is pretty standard).  Miniatures aren't necessary, but they're nice to have.  Mage Knights pieces work fine if you have them lying around.  If you want to be really low-budget about it, you can just use pieces of cardboard. or small numbered gambling chips.

Aren't you friends with my sister?  We can probably lend you our spare 3.5 DM Guide and 3.5 Player's Handbook. (we have two of each of those ones)

Offline Tankou001

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #19 on: November 29, 2008, 08:45:58 pm »
I have like... three player's manual's and a couple of monster manual 1's but I have all of the different assorted monster manuals
Cosplay Progress:

Offline DancingTofu

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #20 on: November 30, 2008, 01:32:30 am »
I'm not sure where all my books are, but I think I have. . .

2 Player's Handbooks
Monster Manual 1-4
2 DM Guides
Draconomicon
Frostbyte
And I think there's one I have that focuses just on items and equipment too.

Offline Serika

• Catgirl
« Reply #21 on: November 30, 2008, 09:28:47 pm »
Aren't you friends with my sister?  We can probably lend you our spare 3.5 DM Guide and 3.5 Player's Handbook. (we have two of each of those ones)

What's your sister's name? 

And thanks for the info, you guys.  This is sounding a lot more complex than the idea I had in my head. 
lol peer pressure

Plans:
Kumoricon '11: Catherine (Catherine), Nanami (Revolutionary Girl Utena)
Sakuracon '12: Ryfia (Arc Rise Fantasia), other things

Offline Tankou001

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #22 on: November 30, 2008, 11:26:26 pm »
complex yes, fun absolutely ^_^
Overall it is more un in the play than it is complezx in the theory ^_^
Cosplay Progress:

Offline Toxikon

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #23 on: December 01, 2008, 01:00:03 pm »
Hey!  I want to try this out, but I've never played it before.  My friend's dad is going to get it, but I don't think they really have an idea of what to look for.  and neither do I. 

So, here are my questions.  If I/we wanted to play this for the long-haul, but wanted it to have room for some silliness (Like, I want to be a schoolgirl for giggles.  Sorry I'm not respecting this the way you guys are...), and still have a lot of the fantasy elements, what would be the right, uhh, game to buy?

And what other items are necessary/encouraged along with the game itself? 

Thanks a lot. 8D

If you want really random and bizarre, try looking into Exalted.  I've never played it before, but from what I hear from my friend (who plays a lot of tabletop games), it can get really hilarious.
My Kumoricon 2008 photos can be found here.

Secret SakuraCon cosplay progress: 30%

Offline DancingTofu

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #24 on: December 01, 2008, 08:49:44 pm »

What's your sister's name? 
Marisa.  She went to Putnam, took Japanese at Milwaukie, crazy psycho rugby chick with short hair.

Offline Tankou001

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #25 on: December 01, 2008, 08:56:06 pm »
I m looking for anyone who wats to set up a group, and the thread is here in Tabletop gaming meeting ^_^
Join in if you are able to get to portland ^_^
Cosplay Progress:

Offline tofutakeout

• Bunnygirl
    • Deviantart
« Reply #26 on: December 03, 2008, 09:02:31 pm »
It's DNDEEEEEE! man gotta love that song.

I'm not an avid player but I play it occasionally. I use to play it with my old friend samantha but she moved. then I started to play with my friend tiana...but we sort of lost track of things and lost free time. we had a fun time at lokis games one day though. :3 they have awesome stuff for it.
da/tumblr
Pull the trigger, pull the trigger, pull the trigger. BOOM

Offline Tankou001

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #27 on: December 03, 2008, 09:09:27 pm »
I agree that the song is awesome, but6 demons are not in hell, they are in the abyss DX

Anyway, I love the game, and I practically eat, sleep, and dream it at all times unless anime gets in the way XP

remember that the greatsword is 2d6 slashing damage of monster slaying beauty XP
Cosplay Progress:

Offline tofutakeout

• Bunnygirl
    • Deviantart
« Reply #28 on: December 04, 2008, 06:16:43 pm »
lol I know that but they had to rhyme. XD

thats one obsession. anime always gets in my way. well music is the thing that always gets in the way.
da/tumblr

Offline allstarsniper32

• Chibi
« Reply #29 on: December 06, 2008, 09:17:50 pm »
If someone wants to be a schoolgirl and have a bunch of weird elements, wouldn't it be better if they just got D20 modern? just a suggestion though.

I do like the 4.0 because it's more simplistic. I don't mean to sound like I hate it because of it's complexity but with the amount of time it takes to do a session I like how much faster 4.0 is because the others get boring for people who aren't "into it".

Also, I'm in the Tacoma area and me and my room mate are trying to find people to play. She's in the middle of making a world though so it might take a while. (she thinks it's lame to run published stuff, it's not really lame but just not as cool)

Offline DancingTofu

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #30 on: December 07, 2008, 12:35:07 am »
I just finished up some character models in Google SketchUp today.  I don't have the tablespace for running it on paper and whiteboards are bothersome, so I'm just using SketchUp for my maps and OpenOffice Draw for my character sheets.

If anyone wants to check out some of my stuff, I can upload my system rules.  I don't use standard D&D rulesets or stats; I run a system similar to the stat system in Warlords Battlecry, where skills are determined by combining the modifiers of two basic stats.  I also don't use HP because HP is really unrealistic; instead I use Fortitude vs. Damage then list it as a wound on the character sheet and tell the person who got hit how much the hit damages them in operational terms.  I can also load my character models to Google's 3D warehouse if anyone's interested.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2008, 12:36:00 am by DancingTofu »

Offline allstarsniper32

• Chibi
« Reply #31 on: December 08, 2008, 08:32:20 pm »

If anyone wants to check out some of my stuff, I can upload my system rules.  I don't use standard D&D rulesets or stats; I run a system similar to the stat system in Warlords Battlecry, where skills are determined by combining the modifiers of two basic stats.  I also don't use HP because HP is really unrealistic; instead I use Fortitude vs. Damage then list it as a wound on the character sheet and tell the person who got hit how much the hit damages them in operational terms.  I can also load my character models to Google's 3D warehouse if anyone's interested.

Why don't you develop your own tabletop game that's based on the D20 system? Hell it's name  could have three words that start with D D and R. I'll admit I wanted to make card games and stuff but it just never got anywhere, oh well.

Offline DancingTofu

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #32 on: December 08, 2008, 09:24:44 pm »
Too lazy to think of a name lol.  It's still D&D in the same sense top ramen is still top ramen when you throw away the flavour packet; I've just thrown away what I judge to be garbage and make my own seasoning. ;P

Offline SageBell

• Bunnygirl
    • Its a fan page, do the liking
« Reply #33 on: December 08, 2008, 09:26:48 pm »
start a group, let me create a new character and lets play.
(\ /)
 (. .)
c(")(")

Offline tofutakeout

• Bunnygirl
    • Deviantart
« Reply #34 on: December 08, 2008, 09:28:12 pm »
I wanna play with janelle. :3 I miss playing it together just not with the casey's, sean was cool though.
da/tumblr

Offline Cassiopeia

• Bunnygirl
    • Cake on a Plane!~
« Reply #35 on: December 08, 2008, 10:36:04 pm »
I haven't played D&D in forevveerrrr. I want to play again...
I HAVE SUCCUMBED AND GIVEN MYSELF A SIGNATURE! :000
Kumoricon 2010 Cosplays: Kyouya Ootori, Spain, Yoru

Offline Tankou001

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #36 on: December 08, 2008, 10:57:36 pm »
I would gladly join in if anybody would take me XP
Cosplay Progress:

Offline allstarsniper32

• Chibi
« Reply #37 on: December 09, 2008, 02:17:05 pm »
I'd play too but I live too far away.

Offline Tankou001

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #38 on: December 09, 2008, 02:51:35 pm »
We could all play on RPOL.net ^_^

It is a good site that allows people to play dnd games on it ^_^
Cosplay Progress:

Offline allstarsniper32

• Chibi
« Reply #39 on: December 11, 2008, 07:18:52 am »
RPOL.net? I'll have to check that out sometime.

Offline Tankou001

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #40 on: December 11, 2008, 01:12:04 pm »
It's a goood, established site that has been on for a long time, and you can do just aout anything on it in role play style froom anime too steam/cyberpunk to classic styles of dnd, and 4.0, and my personal favorite 3.5/3.0 dnd ^_^
Cosplay Progress:

Offline allstarsniper32

• Chibi
« Reply #41 on: December 11, 2008, 02:21:39 pm »
I didn't get to play 3.0/3.5 very much but I do like 4.0.

Offline uoarh

• Oni
« Reply #42 on: January 26, 2009, 12:30:36 am »
D&D is freaking sweet. I started a little at 3.0, then got pretty into it for 3.5. I really like 4.0 but all those 3.5 books seem wasted now, ha!
Sometimes I rawr.

Offline Nroseseeer

• Cabbit
« Reply #43 on: February 02, 2009, 04:50:16 pm »
I pretty much embraced 4th edition once I got the chance to try it, though I have most of the 3.5 books. I would also love to start another group but getting time is a pain in the butt.
"nothing is ever fool proof because fools are so ingenious..."
-anonymous

2007 Cos-play Stage Ninja
2008 Stage Manager/Ninja, Panelist
2009 Stage Manager, Charity Auction Manager

Offline TomtheFanboy

• Bunnygirl
    • Twitter
    • Kumoricon Archives
« Reply #44 on: February 12, 2009, 09:25:26 am »
I drink a big glass of haterade when I start talking about 4th edition.

I like 3.5 though, they cleaned up a bunch of issues in the mechanics of 3.0, even if they did take aways some powers. It's my favorite of the editions.

Eventually I'm planning on running an AD&D campaign based on some of the classic modules I picked up from friends over the years. It will be a good way for some of my weirdo White Wolf friends to earn some geek-cred.

My heart will always belong to Palladium though, all through High school we were shooting lasers at Zentradi and shooting lightning at glitterboys.
Tom the Fanboy
Passion over Pedantry!
Pocky Club President 2005-2010

Offline Man of the Public

• Catgirl
« Reply #45 on: February 15, 2009, 09:34:11 pm »
4th is good for what it is: A streamlined DnD system with a focus on combat.
3.5 is just good.

And I've never played any other the systems.

But my favorite D20 system is Mutants and Masterminds.

Offline allstarsniper32

• Chibi
« Reply #46 on: February 19, 2009, 10:07:24 am »
I'm moving again (back to my home town) and we get to have Friday night DnD nights! yay!

Offline Lynx

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #47 on: March 11, 2009, 01:22:03 am »
Erm... I might be able to contribute by bringing books? Actual books?

DMG
DMG II
PHB
PHB II
MM
Complete: Arcane/Mage/Adventurer/Warrior
Book of Exalted Deeds
Libris Mortis
Spell Compendium
[Insert Snazzy Signature Here]

Offline mattstotts46

• Sailor Scout
    • http://www.myspace.com/mattstotts
« Reply #48 on: March 22, 2009, 06:05:45 pm »
I have an AD&D Players Handbook and a AD&D Dungeon Masters Guide. Who here remembers the old Dnd arcade game?
Hello. My name is Matt. I like Twilight and the Jonas Brothers.

Offline VenomDkoc

• Oni
« Reply #49 on: March 28, 2009, 03:48:00 am »
my brother made a great comment about 4.0  ...they turned it into an MMORPG ....and it sucks..a lot..  2.5 is the best...  well.. i think so anyways