Author Topic: Contact lenses: Yea or Nay?  (Read 21585 times)

Offline Sakis01

• Catgirl
    • Myspace profile :)
Contact lenses: Yea or Nay?
« on: September 25, 2009, 02:21:24 pm »
Just to get it out there, I really dislike the color of my hair and eyes. Why? Because they're BROWN!!!
You don't usually see many brown-haired, brown-eyed beauties walking around at Kumoricon (You guys can correct me if you want, I'm just trying to make a point xD).

I'm more than willing to wear wigs, but the thought of wearing contact lenses begins to puzzle me.

Reason 1. They're a lot of money so are they even worth it?

Reason 2. Are they specifically for prescription purposes only? (Nothing's really wrong with my eyes)

So mainly I want to hear your guy's opinions on the matter helping me decided whether or not I should save up money for contact lenses.

Offline Roddy Manic

• Catgirl
    • Want-To-Be-Optimist
Re: Contact lenses: Yea or Nay?
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2009, 02:27:30 pm »
It depends on how "real" you want to cosplay the character as. Some like to cosplay just the outfit, not doing even a wig. some do outfit, wig. some even paint there faces or/and skin. Some wear contacts. It depends on what you feel best in.

colored Contacts do not have to be prescription, in fact most are not. But it does make site a little different depending on the contacts you get.

I love seeing people with contact sometimes, when the eyes are like Red (like Nyuu/Lucy's eyes) or purple or pink.. or blue if your eyes are not blue. it's fun to see. but not everyones cup of tea to wear.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2009, 02:30:02 pm by Roddy Manic »

Offline Sakis01

• Catgirl
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2009, 02:35:42 pm »
Thank you. It's just I've never been open to the idea of cosplay so I want to go all out with cosplaying next year. It'll be my first time wearing contacts and I'm afraid of not knowing how to manage them.

Offline Roddy Manic

• Catgirl
    • Want-To-Be-Optimist
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2009, 02:46:29 pm »
I'm going to be wearing some too. I have prescription pair of normal ones, but I like never wear them. ^^; *just about never wears her glasses either.* >< They are super easy for me to get in but so hard for me to get out. It's normally either hard to get in and easy to get out, or hard to get out and easy to get in. If you go to a eye glasses shop, like Binyon's, they might help you learn how to get them in and out if you ask. They were nice.

Offline Griff_the_dragoon

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2009, 02:50:14 pm »
ya if you are gonna go all out the contacts are a must

China bound!!!

Offline Sakis01

• Catgirl
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2009, 03:03:51 pm »
So I can just go to some random glasses store and see if they can help me get together with some contacts?

Offline Roddy Manic

• Catgirl
    • Want-To-Be-Optimist
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2009, 03:07:35 pm »
oh.. um.. no. the contacts you can get so many places... online I seen 4 places I liked already.

I mean to ask for help on how to get them on and off. ^^:

Offline Sakis01

• Catgirl
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2009, 03:10:09 pm »
Oh. My bad. Lol
That seems like something I can do, thanks for the help. :3

Offline Roddy Manic

• Catgirl
    • Want-To-Be-Optimist
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2009, 03:31:27 pm »
This is the sight I am  getting my red ones for Miku Zatsune from.
http://www.goddessboutique.net/category/contact-lens

Offline majinekochan

• Catgirl
« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2009, 04:01:06 pm »
Also some things to keep in mind with contacts, prescription or otherwise:
1. Keep them clean, the people at a glasses store will teach you how to.
2. Practice wearing them, don't just show up on whatever day and pop them in for the first time and expect to wear them all day. Your eyes will dry out when wearing contacts so make sure to give your eyes time to heal.
3. Make sure they fit. This is why I would suggest, if you're just getting colored ones not special fx ones, to go to a glasses store to order them, the people there make sure they will fit your eyeball.
4. IF THEY HURT for whatever reason TAKE THEM OUT. trust me, having a boring eye color is better than being blind for the rest of your life.

I usually wear glasses, but have contacts for the odd day and for costumes, not colored ones mind you but prescription and I've done probably everything you're not supposed to do with contacts. One day at Kcon2008 I spent a whole day in agony because I didn't give my contact solution enough time and put my contacts in anyways, It was essentially putting bleach in my eye, even with eye drops I couldn't see for more then 10 minutes and further than 10 feet. I now have contacts that I throw out after just one day and put in a new pair, don't have to worry about chemicals.
Trust me doing it the right/safe way is definitely better then the easy way.

Offline Sakis01

• Catgirl
« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2009, 04:41:49 pm »
Okay. Thanks for the information. :3

Offline Mei Long

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2009, 05:07:50 pm »
Even if you have no vision problems I suggest getting an eye exam. This will ensure that the diameter and curve of your eye will fit the contact. Theatrical contacts sold are generally created in a "medium" size that fits most people, especially those without eye problems. I suggest an eye exam purely on "safety" purposes and the optometrists will be able to answer any questions you have regarding contact wear and care. They can also supply you with free samples of cleaning solution and storage cases, though not all places do this... (I sure love it when they do though!)

When you do receive your contacts I suggest doing the following: First clean them with Oxysept UltraCare Forumla. This stuff is a disinfection formula that I use on contacts before they ever come near my eye. After that you can use a general disinfection solution such as Opti-Free Replenish for every time you put your contacts in and for what you store them in.

Also, echoing other's I strongly suggest practicing wearing them. Put them in (and be patient, this can take a little or a long while depending on your experience and your comfort level with placing something on your eye), leave them in for a few hours and then take them out. If you have any doubts on how to put them in or take them out, even after instruction from an eyecare person, look it up online! There are many video instructions where you can see how it’s done.

Finally, when deciding where to get your contacts (if you cannot order them through an optometrist) I suggest you do research, research, research. Ask tons of people where to get *insert color* contacts. If you ask enough people you will probably see a couple places pop up repeatedly as being reliable.

I think contacts are worthwhile investments that really bring your cosplay to life. And they’re so much fun too! I hope you are able to find what you are looking for, good luck! =)
Montez Bailey, 1988 - 2009, we miss you, rest in peace.

!~~~No Kumoricon for me. See ya'll at Akicon 2011~~~!

Akicon 2011 Costumes: Genderbent Kim Pine, Marshall Lee

2012: YoYo, Czeslaw, ???

Offline Sayda

• Bunnygirl
    • Deviant Art.
« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2009, 05:39:11 pm »
You can get popular brands at a Flea Market in Hillsboro, too. They sell them there for 20$, which is a lot cheaper then most places. It's where I get all mine.
AX :
- Seras Victoria (Hellsing)
- Axel (Kingdom Hearts II)
- Debut Cosplay

Offline nikkiolie

• It's over nine THOUSAND!!!!!
    • Facebook
« Reply #13 on: September 25, 2009, 05:40:52 pm »
I think contacts can really help to make a cosplay better. But it shouldn't be anything you should worry about right away. The major issue is getting the costume accurate and the wig/hair accurate. So if you want to change your hair that should be the best thing first. especially if you are going from Brown to Blond. I went from dark brown to blond and it took about four trips at about 100 each. And if you want your hair to be in good condition that is the best way to do it.

Back to the contacts though, not many people care if the eye color is right and it is something that is easily fixable with photo editing programs. For nice contacts expect to pay a lot. But at sakuracon I was able to get red contacts for $40 for two when they run about 40 a piece.

Offline Sakis01

• Catgirl
« Reply #14 on: September 25, 2009, 06:50:56 pm »
Thank you everyone. I will put this advice to good use. However, there are still some questions I'd like to ask.

It's been said before about taking an eye exam for safety measures. I'd like to know how much that'll cost cause I'd love to start wearing contacts, but as of right now, I have no money and it's going to take me a while to get a job, worse save up money to make my costume(s) accurate.

Offline LtCommanderRichie

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #15 on: September 25, 2009, 07:07:18 pm »
I didn't take an eye exam to get my contacts.

But then again I got mine in Tokyo and they were off-the-shelf in a store not unlike Hirons and the clerk just had me sign a release.

Still, they fit perfectly, don't cause me any irritation and look absolutely fabulous. If I was a brown-eyed Lenalee I just wouldn't look as good. Not that I don't already look like some random original character Exorcist because I'm six feet tall and decidedly not Chinese, but w/e.

Seriously, though. I didn't see the point to contacts until I impulse-bought a pair of purple and a pair of green, and in my opinion I look loads better and will never cosplay without them again unless I see no real point to using the extra money.

Offline nikkiolie

• Facebook
« Reply #16 on: September 25, 2009, 07:20:02 pm »
I need to get some new red ones that have my prescription so I can see. Does anyone know the contact booth that was at sakuracon? I got a card from her but I lost it =/

Offline majinekochan

• Catgirl
« Reply #17 on: September 25, 2009, 07:23:18 pm »
The price of an eye/contact exam depends on where you go. All I can suggest is to call your local optometrist offices and ask.

Offline Sakis01

• Catgirl
« Reply #18 on: September 25, 2009, 08:27:50 pm »
Okay, I'll take that to consideration. Thank you everyone~ ;3

Offline SageBell

• Bunnygirl
    • Its a fan page, do the liking
« Reply #19 on: September 25, 2009, 08:31:34 pm »
I buy mine at Sakuracon and the contact lense booth $40 for the regular color changes like blue green teal brown red.. I have red. i bought blue from her too. when i was esther. They are non perscription.
but keep in mind if you arent used to wearing them it can take up to an hour to put them in
(\ /)
 (. .)
c(")(")

Offline nikkiolie

• Facebook
« Reply #20 on: September 25, 2009, 08:32:32 pm »
Do you know the name of her store? I need to get some more but I don't remember what it was.

Offline Sakis01

• Catgirl
« Reply #21 on: September 25, 2009, 08:36:48 pm »
Do inform me as well. :3

Offline ichigoxcupcakes

• Bunnygirl
    • Website
« Reply #22 on: September 25, 2009, 08:37:23 pm »
I am brunette with brown eyes as well~
T3T and sadly not much can be done about that, unless you want to go all out for your cosplay, or you decide to cosplay someone who looks like you~~

This year was my first time wearing cosmetic contact lenses. I was really nervous and scared to be honest, since I knew nothing about contacts, and I didn't need them for anything really.
I practiced wearing them for a few days before the convention, I bought plenty of eye drops. Ones for contacts, and ones for redness and irratation for my eyes. And I never had a problem except once (explains down there)~~

Though they are nervewracking when you first place them in your eyes (practice always is lovely~~) The most I was in the restroom placing the contacts in my eyes was 1.5 hours.  Long yes, worth it? you bet.
You NEVER want to put them in the wrong way. How I found that out the hard way, is it BURNS. I did everything correctly, except I didn't look hard enough at the lens to see if it was inverted or not. That is a big issue, you have to look reallllly closely, because cosmetic contacts are quite thin, and its difficult to not notice such a small detail.

I purchased 2 pairs for $40, which is an amazing deal (they usually run for a lot of money!!!)
I was told to go to an eye doctor, but I didn't have the money. I know that I was 20/20 vision, so I purchased 0.0 contacts (those are usually for 20/20 vision, but you always should make sure)
:3
Overall I had a lovely experience : 3
« Last Edit: September 25, 2009, 08:51:57 pm by anime_gurl_123 »

Offline Sakis01

• Catgirl
« Reply #23 on: September 25, 2009, 08:40:45 pm »
Thank you dear, you've just made a girl that wasn't so sure about the whole contact lenses to someone who's totally up for the idea to go all out. I'm a happy camper now.  :3

Offline Sayda

• Bunnygirl
    • Deviant Art.
« Reply #24 on: September 25, 2009, 08:45:55 pm »
I haven't seen a doctor about contacts, either. But then again my eyes are probably okay without seeing one. I've been using contacts for years now and I have never had a problem. Most people don't, but there are some people who's eyes need a certain kind, so I suppose it's always good to be safe rather then sorry.
AX :
- Debut Cosplay

Offline Sakis01

• Catgirl
« Reply #25 on: September 25, 2009, 08:49:15 pm »
@ Sayda: So when you got your contacts, did you just bought them like any other product on the market, or did you have to go through any sort of signature writing?

Offline ichigoxcupcakes

• Bunnygirl
    • Website
« Reply #26 on: September 25, 2009, 08:55:40 pm »
@ Sayda: So when you got your contacts, did you just bought them like any other product on the market, or did you have to go through any sort of signature writing?
I didn't have to sign anything OrO
I purchased mine off a website, and to save for shipping I picked them up  :3 I will PM you the address~ and you can browse

Offline Sakis01

• Catgirl
« Reply #27 on: September 25, 2009, 08:59:24 pm »
Think you Nana darling~ x3

Offline SageBell

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #28 on: September 25, 2009, 09:17:38 pm »
« Last Edit: September 25, 2009, 09:19:55 pm by SageBell »
(\ /)
 (. .)
c(")(")

Offline nikkiolie

• Facebook
« Reply #29 on: September 25, 2009, 09:21:24 pm »
Thank you thank you thank you. They have prescription strength ones for 60 for a pair and that is the cheapest I have ever seen them.

Offline SageBell

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #30 on: September 25, 2009, 09:22:25 pm »
I have 20/20 so :P.. I mean no prob lol ^_^
(\ /)
 (. .)
c(")(")

Offline bou12345318

• Catgirl
« Reply #31 on: September 25, 2009, 09:25:38 pm »
Thank you thank you thank you. They have prescription strength ones for 60 for a pair and that is the cheapest I have ever seen them.
You could always try circle lenses to they're a bit cheaper and they come in prescription http://mesmerizedeyescatalogue.blogspot.com/
Kumoricon 2011
TK (Digimon 2nd Season)
Shuichi Shindou (Gravitation EX)

Offline nikkiolie

• Facebook
« Reply #32 on: September 25, 2009, 09:26:35 pm »
You could always try circle lenses to they're a bit cheaper and they come in prescription http://mesmerizedeyescatalogue.blogspot.com/
Is there a bright Red? That is the color I need.

Offline bou12345318

• Catgirl
« Reply #33 on: September 25, 2009, 09:28:29 pm »
Is there a bright Red? That is the color I need.
Not sure, but yeah they should have bright red if you have any questions try asking the retailers XD
« Last Edit: September 25, 2009, 09:29:02 pm by bou12345318 »
Kumoricon 2011
TK (Digimon 2nd Season)

Offline nikkiolie

• Facebook
« Reply #34 on: September 25, 2009, 09:29:01 pm »
Yeah I found it. I may look into those :D

Offline bou12345318

• Catgirl
« Reply #35 on: September 25, 2009, 09:31:01 pm »
Yeah I found it. I may look into those :D
ok well they last a year and alot of my friends love them because there comfy and they make ur eyes slightly larger and make it animeish XD
Kumoricon 2011
TK (Digimon 2nd Season)

Offline Sakis01

• Catgirl
« Reply #36 on: September 25, 2009, 09:35:26 pm »
You have no idea how helpful you guys are to me. I may be repetitive, but I really mean it. :3

Offline MiriaRose

• Bunnygirl
    • The Kingdom of Heaven
« Reply #37 on: September 25, 2009, 09:40:00 pm »
Will have to buy those red ones later from the seller you poster, bou. >.>

I remember I saw someone mention another importer on cosplay.com. I'll see if I can find it. ^^
"Would you kindly. ."

Offline Sakis01

• Catgirl
« Reply #38 on: September 25, 2009, 09:44:44 pm »
So I'm totally ecstatic over the exotic lenses. Glow in the dark contacts =MUCHO AMOR!!!!

Offline bou12345318

• Catgirl
« Reply #39 on: September 25, 2009, 09:46:58 pm »

I remember I saw someone mention another importer on cosplay.com. I'll see if I can find it. ^^
by the way if its in plano then that means it doesnt come in prescription XD
Kumoricon 2011
TK (Digimon 2nd Season)

Offline SageBell

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #40 on: September 25, 2009, 09:55:26 pm »
So I'm totally ecstatic over the exotic lenses. Glow in the dark contacts =MUCHO AMOR!!!!
lol. I would not pay 75 to have my eyes glow
(\ /)
 (. .)
c(")(")

Offline MiriaRose

• Bunnygirl
    • The Kingdom of Heaven
« Reply #41 on: September 25, 2009, 10:02:26 pm »

I know. xD I have good eyesight.
"Would you kindly. ."

Offline bou12345318

• Catgirl
« Reply #42 on: September 25, 2009, 10:04:33 pm »

thats good, well good luck with ur cosplay XD
Kumoricon 2011
TK (Digimon 2nd Season)

Offline MiriaRose

• Bunnygirl
    • The Kingdom of Heaven
« Reply #43 on: September 25, 2009, 10:12:16 pm »

thats good, well good luck with ur cosplay XD
Thank you, you too! ^^
"Would you kindly. ."

Offline Sayda

• Bunnygirl
    • Deviant Art.
« Reply #44 on: September 25, 2009, 10:15:13 pm »

I just asked around the Flea market, and eventually was led to the few booths that sold them. They just brought them out, and I picked which ones I wanted, paid the 20$, and voila! So yeah, basically like anything else you buy. XD
AX :
- Debut Cosplay

Offline Mitsukai Mizu Amaya

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #45 on: September 25, 2009, 10:17:34 pm »
I'll have to remember that!

I would have had contacts this year for Yuna and Garnet (my eyes are blue), but then... then... the game store got in the game I have been waiting for for about two years because apparently no oneever trades it in. xD And it was a sealed, brand new copy they had shipped in for me!

... so I bought that instead. xD
KumoriCon 2012