Author Topic: fanfiction contests' rules! (feedback please!)  (Read 13978 times)

Offline RemSaverem

• Bunnygirl
fanfiction contests' rules! (feedback please!)
« on: July 23, 2005, 06:01:56 pm »
there will be *several* fanfiction contests at this year's kumoricon.

some will involve creating fics on the spot.

some will involve reading fics aloud.

some will involve performing fics as cosplay!

and others will be the more traditional, turn it in in writing and it will be evaluated by a judge kind of contests.

here are my proposed rules for each.

please note, i will accept suggestions and feedback on these all the way up through the end of the con, but most need them during this week, while i'm initially posting them and can still officially amend them.

I. on-the-spot fic creation:
(a) written: scenes from a hat;
(b) oral/ acted: story story die!

in scenes from a hat, each participant will write down on a scrap of paper, a phrase or sentence or word. these scraps will all be collected and each participant will reach in and grab one. whatever each gets on that scrap of paper, s/he must incorporate as a line in, title of, and/or theme of, a fanfic written there right on the spot. if someone grabs his or her own theme, this is accepted, but must be acknowledged. the group will begin with half an hour to write, and at the end of that half hour, the group will collectively decide whether they would like another fifteen minutes to finish up. up to another half hour total will be permitted, based on the consensus of the group. ten minutes will then be provided for each author to beta-read his/her own work (apply proofreading and editing to it).

after a 5 to 10 minute break, we will reconvene and each in turn will read his /her own fic aloud, beginning and ending with informing the crowd of the text on the scrap of paper s/he'd selected.

winners will be evaluated by participants, and by me. categories will include best writing, best performance, and best incorporation of assigned theme.

(b) story story die!
contestants will be grouped into teams. each team will decide for itself a fandom (a show, game, manga, etc. with which they all have at least some familiarity, or can brief each other about). someone will start orally composing a fanfic. the facilitator will then at some point interrupt that person and point to the next, who will have to pick up the storyline exactly where the other left off, but may take it in absolutely any (non x rated) direction from there.  a participant who gets stumped has to act out dying a dramatic death, selected for them by another participant or audience member.  prizes will be awarded by participants, audience and facilitator, and will include best individual performance, best team effort, and best 'death'.

II.  fanfiction bedtime stories!!
everyone's sentimental favorite returns  :)
a fic may be read by its author, or anyone else the author permits. authors may also turn in fics for others to read. participants, audience and judge will all evaluate in categories including:
best reading voice
best costume, best props, best overall performance (see fanfic theatre, below)
best in genre:
       comedy
       parody
       drama
       game-based and/or other non-anime based fic
and.....everyone will be invited to create categories for mock prizes. these categories can be anything anyone wishes, so long as they are not insulting nor x-rated. it could be anything from best fic to read aloud to woo a date, to best fic to cheer you up that at least your life isn't that bad, etc. etc. folks will be encouraged to draw their own appropriate certificates embodying the theme of their mock-award titles and give them to the authors/readers!

of note is that this event also features free bedtime snacks, and that folks are encouraged to come in comfy pj's. we really do go all night long, and "adult-themed" material is encouraged after curfew (midnight, 17+ or accompanied by parent/guardian).

more in a moment!
Ellen. 2003: Fanfic panelist & contest judge.
2004: Beta Station Coord. 2005: Fan Creation Station Coord.;pre-event assistant to the con chair.2006: Fanfic Mgr/C.S. Coord.
2007, 8, 9, 10: Fan Creation Manager. 2011: Writing & Editing Coord (Publicity).

Offline RemSaverem

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2005, 06:12:47 pm »
III. fanfiction theatre--new this year!

fanfiction theatre, like fanfiction bedtime stories, is a kumoricon original. the idea is for us to cosplay our own and others' fics!

since the idea is just beginning to catch on, this year it's going to be a subsection of fanfiction bedtime stories (unless a bunch of people are committed ahead of time to doing it and want it to be at a separate time...in which case, let me know ASAP please!).

some performances will be by individuals. some will be by duos or groups.

performances may be live, or they may be pre-recorded. (it is my belief that the executive center rooms come equipped with a built in dvd/vhs player. if the recording is online, the performer(s) would need to bring a computer).

those sending in pre-recorded material because they are unable to attend should send only a copy, not an original, as i am unable to guarantee a safe or swift return of the material.

prizes will be determined by public acclaim as well as by my judging.

categories will include:
best writing
best acting
most fun to watch
best costumes
best props
closest resemblance to character (this could be in looks, costume/props or mannerisms)
overall most impressive.

those wishing to include music will need to bring their own supplies for that.

anything that would, if in a movie, lead to an X or NC-17 rating will be restricted to after curfew (midnight, 17+ or accompanied by parent/guardian). but yaoi and yuri plots are welcome before then too.
2004: Beta Station Coord. 2005: Fan Creation Station Coord.;pre-event assistant to the con chair.2006: Fanfic Mgr/C.S. Coord.
2007, 8, 9, 10: Fan Creation Manager. 2011: Writing & Editing Coord (Publicity).

Offline RemSaverem

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2005, 06:24:59 pm »
IV. manga contest--new this year!

any work that matches visual art to storyline will be accepted in this contest as a form of manga.

preference will be given to those which are anime-inspired, but all will be accepted.

both works that are derivative of canonic material (i.e., that are based on stuff that already exists in the professional worlds of anime, manga and/or gaming), and works that are completely original, will be accepted. these will be evaluated as separate categories. those which are based on others' works must contain some acknowledgement that they are based on those works. those which are originals should be labelled as such.

those which have digital art will be evaluated separately from those which have non-digital art.

non-digital black and white will be evaluated separately from non-digital color.

there is no minimum length. one page beginnings to proposed longer works will be accepted.

there is no maximum length. however, i urge those whose manga are more than just a couple pages to turn them in ahead of time.

the pre-con manga contest category deadline for works of more than 10 pages is august 19. this is because i will be gone aug 23-30.

manga longer than 10 pages will still be accepted at the con, through 10pm sunday night. however, i will be evaluating as a separate category, any full-length manga received after deadline; and if there are many long ones turned in at the last minute, it is possible that i might not be able to have them all judged until a week or two after the con.

there are no restrictions on type of art accompanying the storyline--for example, painting, drawing, photo, collage, you name it.

********there will be paper, pencils, pens, markers, and crayons available all weekend for free in the fan creation station, specifically for the fanfic, art and manga contests..............there will be a special prize for best beginning of a manga created on site!***********

artist and storyboard composer may be the same person(s) or different person(s).

i will also accept hybrids......that is to say, a storyline from within canon but with characters of your own creation, or characters from within canon in storylines of your own creation. just remember to credit!

Offline RemSaverem

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2005, 06:48:18 pm »
V. finally.........the good ol' traditional type of fanfic contest

all ages, all levels of experience welcome.

no minimum page length.

no maximum page length....but....
works that have multiple chapters (unless under 6 pages), and works that are 10 pages or more, will be considered to be in the "novella category".

because of what happened last year (which included a contestant turning in a 79 page novella right at deadline), i am going to have 2 separate novella evaluations. one will be for works turned in before a pre-con deadline which applies only to novellas and to long manga: august 19. the reason for this deadline is i will be traveling aug 23-30.

novellas turned in before this date will be judged in one batch from which a winner will be selected and announced at closing ceremonies. novellas turned in after this date will be accepted until the overall deadline of 10 pm during fanfic bedtime stories on sunday night, but will not be read or evaluated until after the con.

i reserve the right to add additional prize categories as i see fit, based on the nature of the materials submitted. for example, last year we were pleasantly surprised to receive 7 invader zim fics! so, i simply created an invader zim category :lol:

the following are the categories i have in mind to start:
by genre:
   comedy
   parody
   drama
   game-based fic
   zim/other non-anime -based fic

yuri and yaoi are welcome, but unless there are multiple submissions will not be a separate category, but just viewed as a comedy, drama or whatever fits.

by skill level:
    most professional writing skills--this will include spelling, grammar, punctuation, paragraphing, character continuity, storyline development, plot clarity, and presentation (as one whole)

by thoroughness:
    best backstory: backstory is not required, but is greatly appreciated. backstory here refers to giving the reader information about whatever you're writing about. this could include information about the show (or game or manga or dating sim or...) on which you've based your fic:
specifics about the characters, such as:
  physical descriptions,
  emotional relationships amongst them,
  and motivations;
technical details about the canonic material's universe (such as what is a clow card or how one ends up in the universe of the four gods or what it means to be a duelist);
and my personal favorite:
  why a fic means something to you specifically.

backstory may be incorporated as a forward, as footnotes, and/or as endnotes.

again, it is not required. but, it is my second-favorite category. this is largely because one of my primary goals is to spread the love of fanfic far and wide, including among people who have been exposed to very little anime.......so i want fics to be as accessible to newbies as possible.

which brings us to my favorite category:
  best newbie
........................authors are encouraged to identify, on their fics, if this is the very first time they have entered any type of contest, and/or if this is the first time they have had anyone else read their fics.

at the end of the weekend, i will announce an overall best newbie prize.....this will incorporate not only written work but also, potentially, reading aloud and performing in the other events, visual art, and, lending a hand to keeping things running in the room (errands, facilitating or creating events, etc.)

i will also have an award for most helpful......person who overall contributed the most to the running of the fan creation station and its events all con.

written submissions that are turned in prior to august 19 may be turned in online or by snail mail (post or pm for info).

written submissions turned in at the con must be in print.

however, there will be free access to a computer and printer in the little business nook at the front door of the con hotel. be prepared, though, for potentially long lines to access it.

best of luck to everyone! and remember, all these rules are open to your suggestions and feedback at any time, and especially during this week!

love,
rem.

Offline Dustin

• Catgirl
    • http://www.fanfiction.net/u/217341/
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2005, 03:40:59 pm »
Just a suggestion.

For people who turn in printable text files of there work, I think printing a few extra copies would be great.

Last year, alot of people have some great fics at Fanfic Bedtime Stories, but not all of them could fully be read. Perhapes having a few extra copies would be good for the people who hear some of the fic and think "Wow, I wanna read more of it", so then they can just go over to a table and grab the fic and continue reading.

Also, I think a Fan Favorite award should be a necessity. Last year it would have definantly been The All Purpose Yaoi Naruto Fanfic (Which also KILLED at Sakuracon).

Just my thoughts, Ellen. :D

Offline the_wind_the_sea

• Catgirl
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2005, 07:35:08 pm »
So, you're saying that handwritten fics can't be accepted? 0.0 Oh... Now I need to get everything typed up this week and printed asap.

Sixteen Year Kumoricon Veteran
Kumoricon'19 Plans-
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Offline ~Moon-Daisuki

• Oni
Just an added thought...
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2005, 07:16:23 pm »
Aren't you going to have a romance category/genre? I am just kind of wondering, I can, of course, submit it under another category even if it is not.      

The reason I ask is because I write strictly romance, they may have other genre's involved but the main theme is always romance/love. :oops:

Offline BlackjackGabbiani

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2005, 03:15:06 am »
How many fics can we submit?

Offline the_wind_the_sea

• Catgirl
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2005, 12:46:26 pm »
Quote from: "BlackjackGabbiani"

That is important. Because I have a romance one I wanna submit and a couple of Songfics that I wrote especially for Kumori-Con.

Sixteen Year Kumoricon Veteran
Kumoricon'19 Plans-
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Offline Densha_Rockstar

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2005, 01:49:13 pm »
An acted segment, huh?

I think I might wanna jump into this...maybe...  8)

Offline RemSaverem

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2005, 02:22:27 pm »
Quote from: "Dustin"
Just a suggestion.

For people who turn in printable text files of there work, I think printing a few extra copies would be great.

Last year, alot of people have some great fics at Fanfic Bedtime Stories, but not all of them could fully be read. Perhapes having a few extra copies would be good for the people who hear some of the fic and think "Wow, I wanna read more of it", so then they can just go over to a table and grab the fic and continue reading.

Also, I think a Fan Favorite award should be a necessity. Last year it would have definantly been The All Purpose Yaoi Naruto Fanfic (Which also KILLED at Sakuracon.

Just my thoughts, Ellen. :D

dustin, i agree with all of the above.

folks, if you can, bring in copies of your stories to circulate!

and overall fan favorite can definitely be a category.

(a) in bedtime stories, that's easily arranged.
(b) for fics that are not read aloud, what we can do is have a little voting box or something available and each person who reads others' fics can vote for a first and second choice fan favorite out of those circulating at the fan creation station.......whether or not they have been turned in to me for the contest!

Offline RemSaverem

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2005, 02:25:50 pm »
Quote from: "the_wind_the_sea"
So, you're saying that handwritten fics can't be accepted? 0.0 Oh... Now I need to get everything typed up this week and printed asap.

egads no!!! i would never say that....as most of you know, i myself have to go outside my house to use others' computers....i would never make a rule that was effectively classist....excluding those with less access to computers.

handwritten fics are definitely accepted!
though i will appreciate legibility!

Offline RemSaverem

• Bunnygirl
Re: Just an added thought...
« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2005, 02:26:30 pm »
Quote from: "~Moon-Daisuke"
Aren't you going to have a romance category/genre? I am just kind of wondering, I can, of course, submit it under another category even if it is not.      

The reason I ask is because I write strictly romance, they may have other genre's involved but the main theme is always romance/love. :oops:

i suppose i was subsuming that under drama. but consider it done. in your honor, there is now a romance category!

Offline RemSaverem

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #13 on: July 26, 2005, 02:34:20 pm »

i would ask each author to submit no more than 3 per category.

that is to say, if you write in only one genre, pick your best 3. if you write in several genres, you could submit, say, 2 romances, one novella, one manga and 3 parodies.

i will ask each author to include the following info with each fic:
--credit for the canonic material that inspired the fic (e.g., what show, what manga, what game or sim)
--name and contact info --both within the con and outside the con
--genre(s) in which author would like piece considered
--write NEWBIE atop the fic if it is the first time the author has ever competed in a contest (or at least an offline contest).

remember that backstory is not required, but is rewarded as its own prize category.

i also forgot to mention:

those who are volunteering will be eligible for prizes in all categories.

works that have been beta-read by me will only be eligible for prizes which are awarded by audience acclaim. this is to avoid conflict of interest; i shouldn't be able to give prizes for work that is partially my own. however, now that, at dustin's suggestion, there will be a fan favorite award within the overarching fanfic contest begun before the con, i would encourage those for whom i've beta'd to bring with you to the con works to which i've contributed feedback, and circulate them as candidates for that award, as well as fan awards within fanfic bedtime stories and hopefully, fanfic theatre!

note: a piece can be performed as theatre even by just one person....if you read your work at bedtime story in persona, with costumes and/or props and/or accents and/or mannerisms etc., that will count for evaluation for prizes in that subcategory of bedtimes stories!

Offline RemSaverem

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #14 on: July 26, 2005, 02:35:41 pm »
Quote from: "the_wind_the_sea"

That is important. Because I have a romance one I wanna submit and a couple of Songfics that I wrote especially for Kumori-Con.

ok everyone who knows me knows i'm cheezy, but here's more proof...i love songfics *remembers to make that a category*

oh and brownie points if anyone performs one, complete with singing! (or recorded music)

Offline RemSaverem

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #15 on: July 26, 2005, 02:36:22 pm »
Quote from: "Densha_Rockstar"
An acted segment, huh?

I think I might wanna jump into this...maybe...  8)

yay! you may act out any fic you wish, whether you wrote it or anyone else did...or find others to act out your own fics. fun fun!

Offline Negima

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #16 on: July 26, 2005, 04:29:59 pm »
I'm hoping to submit something for the manga section.  I'm just having a hard with two things.

1. Which story idea to draw
2. A script

Offline RemSaverem

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #17 on: July 26, 2005, 07:44:16 pm »
Quote from: "Negima"
I'm hoping to submit something for the manga section.  I'm just having a hard with two things.

1. Which story idea to draw
2. A script

feel free to brainstorm here! you could even list a bunch of possibilities, and get feedback from (well, everyone but me)! i'm really excited to see whatever you come up with. just today i got a glimpse of the first manga submitted. yay!

Offline Negima

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #18 on: July 27, 2005, 10:25:00 am »
Quote from: "RemSaverem"
feel free to brainstorm here! you could even list a bunch of possibilities, and get feedback from (well, everyone but me)! i'm really excited to see whatever you come up with. just today i got a glimpse of the first manga submitted. yay!

Well, for starters some of my ideas for a script would be just introducing the characters and plot to a story, coming up with a stand-alone short story that still shows most of the characters, or in one case drawing several single-page comics (something like Megatokyo).  So I guess which format would people prefer to read?

Or could I possibly submit more than one manga entry?  I know that's streching it but I may be able to make and bring along single-page comics for the Con for the "after deadline entry."

Offline Negima

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #19 on: August 01, 2005, 11:09:11 pm »
Okay, actually have an idea now.  I decided to try writing out a script first then edit it as I start drawing.  I decided on which story, how to do it, and... that's about it.  Hope I get it in on time and hope people like it.

Offline RemSaverem

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #20 on: August 02, 2005, 06:42:35 pm »
i happen to have enjoyed megatoykyo when i read it in the past....in fact, i cosplayed seraphim first kcon!

so, i would accept that kind of format.........having a manga contest is brand new to kcon programming; i'm making it up as i go along!

scripting first is ideal, imho.

i have no hard limits on numbers submitted, but i have encouraged folks to try to limit submissions to 3 per category (largely to give others a chance, and because there is only one judge).

best of luck to all!