Author Topic: I'M GOING TO JAPAN!!!  (Read 7997 times)

Offline FilkAeris

• Chibi
I'M GOING TO JAPAN!!!
« on: February 01, 2005, 08:20:04 pm »
I just got my acceptance letter today!  Next year I will be attending Tokyo International University with the Japan Studies Program!!  I can't stop smiling!!!  Whooooo!!!!

^________________________________________^

KUMORICON 2014: BEST. CON. EVER! LET'S DO IT ALL AGAIN IN 2015!

Offline Firkasa

• Sailor Scout
    • http://tundraflame.blogspot.com
I'M GOING TO JAPAN!!!
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2005, 08:39:33 pm »
Wow! Lucky! Good luck to you in Japan!

Offline Seraph

• Bunnygirl
I'M GOING TO JAPAN!!!
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2005, 08:55:51 pm »
nice and congrats.  I'll been considering doing something similar as well.  there is a offer to nagasaki for a year long term.  But I'm kinda reluntance as I may miss kumori 05(starts in sept) and will miss sakura 06.  And of course, there is the cost of going there.
"Hm, the Moe is strong with this one..."
Kylite-"You and your TV Tropes!"<Refering to This Troper's ruined voc

Offline Dustin

• Catgirl
    • http://www.fanfiction.net/u/217341/
I'M GOING TO JAPAN!!!
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2005, 02:07:11 am »
Dustin Jealous.  :(

Offline Negima

• Bunnygirl
I'M GOING TO JAPAN!!!
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2005, 02:23:37 am »
If you want any advice on places to go to in Tokyo, feel free to ask.

Offline BlackjackGabbiani

• Bunnygirl
I'M GOING TO JAPAN!!!
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2005, 02:40:58 am »
Yaaaay!

But you know, you're going to have to actually get on Messenger sometimes then so we can talk!

Offline Radien

• Bunnygirl
I'M GOING TO JAPAN!!!
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2005, 04:27:41 am »
Whoah, Tokyo U.? Congrats; that's quite an accomplishment... well, I've heard it's worlds easier for international students to get into that program than Japanese residents, but it's still better than I could have done. ;)

Be sure to drop by Akihabara while you're there, so you can be dazzled/amused/frightened by the authentic fan culture.

**Akihabara = Tokyo's electronics district, for those who didn't know, or who simply forget Japanese place names easily.
A member of Eugene Cosplayers. Come hang out with us.

Kumori Con 2010 Cosplays:

Link (The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess)
Apollo Justice

Offline Ronime

• Chibi
    • http://www.ronime.net/
I'M GOING TO JAPAN!!!
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2005, 07:12:41 am »
thats awesome! so how much longer you got with us? i wanna see you again before you leave ^^
beware the ronime XD

Whats the point in being the director if i cant be evil dictator every once in a while?

http://www.ronime.net

Offline princessfrodo

• Catgirl
I'M GOING TO JAPAN!!!
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2005, 11:34:38 am »
Hey, I can fit in a small piece of luggage, take me with you! ^.^
No, I'm not insane.  I'm just... happy.

Offline BakazokuJoe

• Sailor Scout
    • http://bakazoku.net/
I'M GOING TO JAPAN!!!
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2005, 11:52:39 am »
I will most likely be working in Tokyo on and off.  It would be funny if I ran in to you there.
What is your favorite?

Offline FilkAeris

• Chibi
I'M GOING TO JAPAN!!!
« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2005, 01:46:07 pm »
Quote from: "Radien"
Whoah, Tokyo U.?

I wish!  XD  No, I'm going to Tokyo International University.  Different school, but a good one, from what I've been told.  It's my college's sister school.

Any advice/ideas/whatever are totally welcome and appreciated!  I'm leaving in September or late August (won't know for sure until the informational meeting), so I've got plenty of time to stock up on plans!

Anonymous

I'M GOING TO JAPAN!!!
« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2005, 03:32:11 pm »
*siiigh* think of all the cheap second-hand gothic lolita stuff you can buy~~~

Offline Negima

• Bunnygirl
I'M GOING TO JAPAN!!!
« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2005, 07:17:44 pm »
Prepare for a "quick" rundown of some places in Tokyo and what they have to offer.

Akihabara - As noted, the electronics district of Tokyo.  It can be pretty crowded during the weekends during the evenings.  There are a lot of anime stores and it has some of the best prices for electronics.  I recommend getting an electronic dictionary there.    It's not so much of a sight-seeing place as it is a place to shop around.

Harajuku - Welcome to Goth girl central.  Across from the small entrance/exit of the station there's a wide alleyway with a bunch of clothing shops that are mostly goth themed.  If you want to see Goth girls, head over to the bridge that will take you over to Meiji Jinguu.  I've also taken a lot of pictures if anyone is interested.  By a weird contrast from Tokyo, Meiji Jinguu is a foresty area that leads to a temple that's rather quiet; a nice place to visit if you need a break from the city.

Ueno - Known for its park, zoo, and museums.  I don't know where Tokyo International is but Todai is close to Ueno I believe.  There are a lot of trees around Ueno park and I'm assuming it's beautiful there later in Spring (I'll find out soon enough anyway).

Shinjuku - On one side of the train tracks, the west side, you have the business district.  On the other side, you have the shopping district.  Shinjuku is where the Government building is located.  I recommend looking for the NS Shinjuku building which contains restaurants on the 30th floor and a nice view of the city at night.  The glass elevator ride can also be exciting.  The shopping district has a variety of stores from electronics, clothing, and the world's largest Kinokuniya (Okay, I really like books.  I couldn't help adding that).

Shibuya - Basically a cross between Shinjuku and Harajuku.  You get the fashion people along with the shopping district.  I can't say much about this spot since I haven't looked around it very much.  I will say there's a nice movie theather there.  (I saw "Howl's moving castle" there)

Ikebukuro - Sadly, I can't give much info here but I have heard lots of good things about it so I will recommend it.

Asakusa - Okay, it's kind of a tourist trap but it's fun to look around a little.  There's a market place/street you can walk down and buy various Japanese gifts such as kimonos, bags, fans, etc.  You can also buy katanas there but I'm told they are shorter than actual katanas.  At the end of the market place is Sensoji temple.  Here you can buy charms, throw in 5 yen and pray, and buy fortunes.  (Though I'm still curious as to how I got "worst fortune" and "best fortune" within two minutes of each other.

The Imperial Gardens or Koukyo - Again, a wide open area to look around if you need a break from the city life.  The eastern garden is open to the public but closed usually on holidays (I think).

That's all that comes to mind at the moment.  I hoped this helped in some way.

Anonymous

GOOD LUCK!
« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2005, 08:34:50 am »
Congrats!

Best wishes!

... uhhh can I get back the book I lent you before you go?

- G

Offline FilkAeris

• Chibi
I'M GOING TO JAPAN!!!
« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2005, 08:46:09 pm »
Totally!  I'm really sorry about that, Guy!  It's sitting right by my bed, and I keep telling myself I'm gonna mail it to you first thing and then completely forgetting.  For the record, I'm an idiot.  I'll write "mail shougi book" on my inner eyelids or something.  ^_^

Offline Kyuubi

• Catgirl
I'M GOING TO JAPAN!!!
« Reply #15 on: February 03, 2005, 10:17:56 pm »
I HAVE ONE REQUEST

POCKY PLEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEASE

Offline superjaz

• Bunnygirl
I'M GOING TO JAPAN!!!
« Reply #16 on: February 04, 2005, 08:04:56 am »
dude its in most grosery stores in the ethnic food part, botan too
superjaz, that is jaz with one z count'um ONE z!
Proud mom of 2 awesome kids

Offline BakazokuJoe

• Sailor Scout
I'M GOING TO JAPAN!!!
« Reply #17 on: February 04, 2005, 08:12:12 am »
There are WAY better snacks in Japan.  Try some of the things you really can’t get here.  I suggest a drink by the name of Qoo!  I can't get enough!
What is your favorite?

Offline superjaz

• Bunnygirl
I'M GOING TO JAPAN!!!
« Reply #18 on: February 04, 2005, 08:40:03 am »
my jpn class is planning a feild trip to ujihama japan grocery store any other recomendations (i always wanted to try cc lemons)
superjaz, that is jaz with one z count'um ONE z!
Proud mom of 2 awesome kids

Offline BakazokuJoe

• Sailor Scout
I'M GOING TO JAPAN!!!
« Reply #19 on: February 04, 2005, 09:29:14 am »
CC Lemon, Pocari Sweat, Coffee Boss (if your a coffee person), Cola candy by Lion is good, Choco Flakes, Eiwa marshmallows, Baishyouame (if you like ume), Red bean mochi(actual mochi not mochi ice), Pokka Oolong tea, and My favorite thing ever is the tea Gogonokocha!
If I think of more I will post again.  I know there is a lot that I'm forgetting.
What is your favorite?

Offline FilkAeris

• Chibi
I'M GOING TO JAPAN!!!
« Reply #20 on: February 04, 2005, 11:58:31 pm »
Hmm...grapefruit Calpis, Momo no Tennensui, Kuu, whistle candy, daifuku of any description, onigiri with salmon stuffing, raw red tuna, kinnako dango dumplings, green tea mochi ice cream balls, and Pinky mints, especially peach flavor.

Offline Aurora

• Chibi
I'M GOING TO JAPAN!!!
« Reply #21 on: February 05, 2005, 07:26:05 pm »
you are so lucky, I wanna go too! Congratulations!

Offline Negima

• Bunnygirl
I'M GOING TO JAPAN!!!
« Reply #22 on: February 06, 2005, 05:13:07 am »
Quote from: "superjaz3p"
my jpn class is planning a feild trip to ujihama japan grocery store any other recomendations (i always wanted to try cc lemons)

See if they have Green Tea Kit Kats or melon ones.  They have those over here and they taste pretty good.  ^_^  The green tea ones kinda taste like green tea ice cream