Author Topic: DDR tourney?  (Read 36217 times)

loser

DDR tourney?
« on: February 01, 2005, 12:06:57 pm »
hmm..?

Offline kalira

• Chibi
DDR tourney?
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2005, 03:05:00 pm »
Yes, there is going to be a DDR tourney.  Rules and more information to be posted once they are finalized.  If you have any input on what you think the rules should be or what you would like to see, feel free to post here or email me at mccarleyd@gmail.com.

Offline Neko_Chan

• Bunnygirl
DDR tourney?
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2005, 07:52:33 pm »
Rofl.
I got DDR for Christmas. >D I'm so horrible at it. It's like, not even funny.
Once I just gave up and sat on the floor and used my hands, but that didn't work very well either...

Offline Purp

• Cabbit
DDR tourney?
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2005, 11:03:31 pm »
Quote from: "Neko_Chan"
Rofl.
I got DDR for Christmas. >D I'm so horrible at it. It's like, not even funny.
Once I just gave up and sat on the floor and used my hands, but that didn't work very well either...
 Ooh doing that is fun or when you get a few friends and each take an arrow or two  :D fun-ness!
I be known as Teep(et)(lhw) in various places of the internet, you might know me?

Offline Neko_Chan

• Bunnygirl
DDR tourney?
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2005, 11:08:57 pm »
>DD Yeah. Only it was just me and my 8 year old sister, and she didn't know what to do and I kinda yelled at her and told her not to break it... Eheh. -sweatdrop-

Offline Negima

• Bunnygirl
DDR tourney?
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2005, 04:04:36 am »
Quote from: "Neko_Chan"
>DD Yeah. Only it was just me and my 8 year old sister, and she didn't know what to do and I kinda yelled at her and told her not to break it... Eheh. -sweatdrop-

Easy, easy.  It takes practice.  Lots and lots of practice.

Speaking of which, I've got to get back to practicing DDR while I'm over here (the closest DDR machine is an hour away by train).

sensad

woot
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2005, 10:07:10 pm »
i can't wait for this contest. I got into DDR pretty recently, and right now i'm steppin mostly 8-9s. how "hardcore" is everybody else?

Offline Negima

• Bunnygirl
Re: woot
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2005, 06:09:42 am »
Quote from: "sensad"
i can't wait for this contest. I got into DDR pretty recently, and right now i'm steppin mostly 8-9s. how "hardcore" is everybody else?

That... is a secret  :wink:
But I have been getting a little rusty from not playing as much as I used to.

Offline Neko_Chan

• Bunnygirl
DDR tourney?
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2005, 10:46:29 am »
I should probably start playing again... :3 I have like here from spetember to practice...

Offline Seraph

• Bunnygirl
DDR tourney?
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2005, 10:44:14 am »
one thing that helps if you can follow the beat of the song.  it will help you with the timing.
"Hm, the Moe is strong with this one..."
Kylite-"You and your TV Tropes!"<Refering to This Troper's ruined voc

Offline Negima

• Bunnygirl
DDR tourney?
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2005, 01:40:51 am »
I think having any sort of music background is really helpful when it comes to DDR.  That way you know all about quarter, eightth, dreaded sixteenth, and triplet notes.

Offline Seraph

• Bunnygirl
DDR tourney?
« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2005, 06:59:05 am »
Quote from: "Negima"
I think having any sort of music background is really helpful when it comes to DDR.  That way you know all about quarter, eightth, dreaded sixteenth, and triplet notes.

I remember a friend in the military, who was in his own band, was really good on the timing in DDR.  On the other hand, I was better able to handle a stream of arrows then he was.  I think thats mainly cause I had a lot more practice(this was he first time).

Offline Negima

• Bunnygirl
DDR tourney?
« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2005, 02:05:55 am »
Quote from: "Kurimono"

I remember a friend in the military, who was in his own band, was really good on the timing in DDR.  On the other hand, I was better able to handle a stream of arrows then he was.  I think thats mainly cause I had a lot more practice(this was he first time).

Probably had to look down to make sure he was on the right step, right?  I've seen a lot of beginners do that since they're not used to the console yet.

Offline Seraph

• Bunnygirl
DDR tourney?
« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2005, 07:48:43 am »
Quote from: "Kurimono"

Probably had to look down to make sure he was on the right step, right?  I've seen a lot of beginners do that since they're not used to the console yet.

can't quite remember.  its been about a year now.  but yeah, I think he did look down a lot.  but it was surprising in that he would get more perfects then me and still has the highest score too >_<.  So far, I'm mainly focused on my ability to take on streams of arrows then my timing though.

Also, how are the newer verisons of DDR?  I have DDR Max, I saw Max 2 and it looks like they tone down the difficulty big time(heavy look like light when I saw it).   So far, my only complaint from what I seen on the first one then some of the newer one like max, is they have songs that aren't really dance songs imo.

Offline Negima

• Bunnygirl
DDR tourney?
« Reply #14 on: March 29, 2005, 01:00:28 am »
When you say DDR max, do you mean the PS2 version?  I don't know what the games for PS are like.  I've only played at the arcade.  I'm just happy my university (US) has a DDR machine nearby.

Offline Seraph

• Bunnygirl
DDR tourney?
« Reply #15 on: March 29, 2005, 01:02:14 am »
When you say DDR max, do you mean the PS2 version?  I don't know what the games for PS are like.  I've only played at the arcade.  I'm just happy my university (US) has a DDR machine nearby.

oohhh lucky you.  yeah PS2.   cept for a recent one on the X-box(and one coming on the gamecube with maric cast), pretty much all of them been on the PS1/2.

Offline Zidane

• Sailor Scout
DDR tourney?
« Reply #16 on: April 15, 2005, 04:28:13 pm »
im a DDR master   8)
Virtue: "You dont need a reason to help people"
"Zidane! Making all the the homies say ho and the girlies wanna scream"

Offline PezCat

• Catgirl
DDR tourney?
« Reply #17 on: April 15, 2005, 04:39:11 pm »
The Xbox versions seem to not have as good a selection as the PS2 versions - particularly since you have to pay for the extra songs and have Xbox live on top of it.

Of the PS2 versions, I personally think Max2 is the best one, though I do like all three of them.  I wish I could get a copy of the Disney one though... it's always insanely priced whenever I see it because it's in high demand.

I'll have to look into getting the GC one when it comes out... The more mixes the better!

PezCat
Sixty pounds lighter, just as awesome.
2K3-2K7: Various staff, primarily RPGs and Registration
2K12: God only knows...

=^..^=

Offline Negima

• Bunnygirl
DDR tourney?
« Reply #18 on: April 15, 2005, 11:11:59 pm »
GameCube is making a version?

Offline iorichaos

• Cabbit
DDR tourney?
« Reply #19 on: April 25, 2005, 04:13:40 pm »
I would love a ddr tourny XD I played at the sakuracon one. It was very fun. does kumori con get a ddr machine or the home versions? Im gonna ddr in my kakashi outfit 8)

Offline Negima

• Bunnygirl
DDR tourney?
« Reply #20 on: April 25, 2005, 09:38:09 pm »
Quote from: "iorichaos"
I would love a ddr tourny XD I played at the sakuracon one. It was very fun. does kumori con get a ddr machine or the home versions? Im gonna ddr in my kakashi outfit 8)

At the last Con it was the home-version with a large screen to project the game on.  The pads were really good too.  They weren't the kind that can fold up or easily slide.

Offline shadowfox

• Catgirl
    • http://www.myspace.com/airotciv87
^^
« Reply #21 on: April 26, 2005, 04:24:51 pm »
Quote from: "Zidane"
im a DDR master   8)

how long ya been playing ^^ i cant even play well  :oops:
i am asthenophobic, Cleithrophobic, dinophobic, and geroscophobic.

but i am NOT Hippopotomonstrosesquippedaliophobic

Phylicia

DDR tourney?
« Reply #22 on: May 16, 2005, 12:19:00 pm »
I'm hoping there's a machine for the ddr tournament.

I've attended a lot of DDR tourneys, and they've been held on arcade machines, because well, they're most reliable for perfect attack and don't give when a lot of force is put on the pads.

Home version tournaments are kind of gross imo. :P Um, but if it's home version, I'm sure everyone else will probably enjoy it anyway. (I don't even know if I'm going yet anyhow, depends... but a good DDR tournament would help XD)

Offline -MiYaVi-

• Catgirl
DDR tourney?
« Reply #23 on: June 10, 2005, 01:39:23 pm »
DDR is fun! ^___^ *GASP* i think i got it!!!!*runs to other forum* i am organizing aome stuff this year!! go to the adventure thingy where it says BEACH k? wo0o0o0T!!!! i am fairly ok with DDR, im a standard heavy person. mostly depending on my energy level lolx (has to balanced) and i play BAREFOOT. i cant play the home one..O_o...i jump to much..lolx so when i play at home all i do is use the controller to get it in my head so i know wheni plkay at the arcades it will click in my head instead of looking like a bunch of multi colores arrows going everywhere lolx
MiYaVi

Offline Negima

• Bunnygirl
DDR tourney?
« Reply #24 on: June 11, 2005, 02:04:32 am »
Quote from: "PinkIchigoKitty"
DDR is fun! ^___^ *GASP* i think i got it!!!!*runs to other forum* i am organizing aome stuff this year!! go to the adventure thingy where it says BEACH k? wo0o0o0T!!!! i am fairly ok with DDR, im a standard heavy person. mostly depending on my energy level lolx (has to balanced) and i play BAREFOOT. i cant play the home one..O_o...i jump to much..lolx so when i play at home all i do is use the controller to get it in my head so i know wheni plkay at the arcades it will click in my head instead of looking like a bunch of multi colores arrows going everywhere lolx

I think I know someone who plays barefoot.  Have you ever played at a DDR tournament before?

Offline Panda0_0

• Catgirl
DDR tourney?
« Reply #25 on: June 11, 2005, 09:15:23 pm »

I think I know someone who plays barefoot.  Have you ever played at a DDR tournament before?

barefoot!  that sounds like it would hurt if you stomped on a bolt by mistake!!! :?

Who are you? Whats your name? SUPER BROTHERS!

Offline -MiYaVi-

• Catgirl
DDR tourney?
« Reply #26 on: June 11, 2005, 11:05:00 pm »
I do that ALOT, but it doesnt bother me lolx, and no i have not played a DDR tourney thing...AKK AkaZidane!! HAH we were at thje arcade today and HAH i owned him!!!!!! mmmm i was a little bored there though...(molested some game machines..XD) anyways, i wanna go to the arcade with him again but with alot of other peoples too!!!!!! wo0t
MiYaVi

Offline Panda0_0

• Catgirl
DDR tourney?
« Reply #27 on: June 11, 2005, 11:09:13 pm »
i can only play on light mode... im not good enough to play in a turny :?

Offline Negima

• Bunnygirl
DDR tourney?
« Reply #28 on: June 12, 2005, 01:40:53 am »
@Panda0_0
I think the person I'm thinking of has done that before but, after lots of practice, it no longer happens.

Gah, I really need to get back into practice.  I don't think I've played DDR over here for a couple of months.

I'm going to be busy this summer with practice.

Offline -MiYaVi-

• Catgirl
DDR tourney?
« Reply #29 on: June 12, 2005, 09:31:30 am »
we should all play together!! ^_^ I want to move onto heavy! wo0o0
MiYaVi

Offline Panda0_0

• Catgirl
DDR tourney?
« Reply #30 on: June 12, 2005, 01:10:20 pm »
the best i can do is get a dubbel AA on Mitsaru Japan

i think thats the name of it... :?

ya its my fave song to dance to on DDR

Offline Negima

• Bunnygirl
DDR tourney?
« Reply #31 on: June 12, 2005, 09:56:13 pm »
Quote from: "PinkIchigoKitty"
we should all play together!! ^_^ I want to move onto heavy! wo0o0

I'm in Japan until June 30th then I'm taking a week to recover and such (time-change adjustment, family, catching up on what's been happening for the past 9 1/2 months, etc.)  Depending on where you live I'd be willing to do a group thing.  If you want you can PM me and say where you're from and I'll reply as well.

Quote from: "Panda0_0"
the best i can do is get a dubbel AA on Mitsaru Japan

i think thats the name of it...  

ya its my fave song to dance to on DDR

"Matsuri Japan"
Still, getting an AA on a song is pretty hard to do.  You have to get 90% or so Perfects to get an AA.

Offline Panda0_0

• Catgirl
DDR tourney?
« Reply #32 on: June 12, 2005, 11:15:03 pm »
i dont miss an arrow!

i  can do the song with no arrows! just background.... altho i havent played ddr for a fue munths so i probably will have to play a fue times befor i can do that agen :?

Offline -MiYaVi-

• Catgirl
DDR tourney?
« Reply #33 on: June 13, 2005, 08:42:01 pm »
we will all play PLAY PLAY!!!!!
MiYaVi

Offline Panda0_0

• Catgirl
DDR tourney?
« Reply #34 on: June 13, 2005, 09:46:04 pm »
is there going to be a turly for light moders?

beacuse i dont want to go up agenst a person that can do heavy mode and totely make a fool out of me... :(

Offline -MiYaVi-

• Catgirl
DDR tourney?
« Reply #35 on: July 03, 2005, 04:11:35 pm »
probobly!
MiYaVi

Offline MikaRin375

• Catgirl
    • http://www.freewebs.com/anime_rice
DDR tourney?
« Reply #36 on: July 03, 2005, 04:41:48 pm »
Really? That'll be probably cool .....hahah I can only do trick/standard mode >.< except for the really fast songs T.T......ugh.....when I saw someone do MAXX ULIMITED on the hardest mode and got almost all the arrows....I was like WOW
Thinking of a new siggy ^.^

Offline Negima

• Bunnygirl
DDR tourney?
« Reply #37 on: July 06, 2005, 05:18:04 pm »
A question just came up...

Will it be Dance Dance Revolution or In the Groove (or whatever the American version of DDR is called) at KumoriCon?
I just went to UO and saw In the Groove in the arcade.  When did that happen?

Offline MikaRin375

• Catgirl
    • http://www.freewebs.com/anime_rice
DDR tourney?
« Reply #38 on: July 06, 2005, 10:03:12 pm »
Groove is just a take off from DDR...like koreans have a ddr except its diffrent other then the music...and its much harder....I think most people will bring DDR....DDR is everywhere and this topic is on DDR not in the groove so It will probably be DDR ^^
Thinking of a new siggy ^.^

Foist Paragon

« Reply #39 on: August 02, 2005, 05:10:18 pm »
I have passed all the 10 steps exept Bag (1X) and PSMO
but I haven't been playing in a while so I am REALY rusty

Offline Phylicia

• Cabbit
« Reply #40 on: August 09, 2005, 07:59:56 pm »
Quote from: "Foist Paragon"

I played and practiced to compete in tourneys and I passed everything but PSMO... :/ Hm, I haven't really thought about passing bag 1x... I should work on that :b Worked on my perfect attack, and I AAA'd 9 heavy songs. (I hope I'm not repeating myself :o)

Anonymous

« Reply #41 on: August 11, 2005, 04:45:24 pm »
Quote from: "Phylicia"
Quote from: "Foist Paragon"

I played and practiced to compete in tourneys and I passed everything but PSMO... :/ Hm, I haven't really thought about passing bag 1x... I should work on that :b Worked on my perfect attack, and I AAA'd 9 heavy songs. (I hope I'm not repeating myself :o)
I don't keep track of my AAA's. I just hope that not playing in the last 3 months will hurt my game that much, (damn work!!!) the real thing that is going to hinder me though is going to be my big ass boots that I'm wearing for my cosplay.

Offline Negima

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #42 on: August 11, 2005, 08:59:21 pm »
Quote from: "Anonymous"
I just hope that not playing in the last 3 months will hurt my game that much, (damn work!!!)

Speaking from personal experience (can't believe it took me months to find a DDR machine in Japan ><), not playing for three months won't affect your skill level too much.  I was still able to do some heavy level songs the first time I came back.  What will REALLY be affected is you stamina.  Before that I could do several rounds.  Afterwards I was only able to do one round.

Offline zizmo.07

• Oni
DDR tourney
« Reply #43 on: January 02, 2006, 09:44:21 pm »
I have never been to a convention before, and my friends and I were planning to go to the convention this year...This happend to catch my eye. I love DDR...I used to play on heavy but have fallen down to standard because of my lack of practice.

I have two questions: What is good enough to be in a tourney

Secondly: Is this strictly straight DDR where scores count, or is it going to be freestyle and all about your moves?

Offline makichan

• Bunnygirl
DDR tourney?
« Reply #44 on: January 05, 2006, 01:17:55 pm »
I'm REALLY wanting to join a tourney, but I'm only at the point of standard/heavy... I should practice more often.
and yeah, since I'm going as hatsuharu from furuba, I'm going against kyo for a few rounds... the ox is going to kick some cat butt!!
"I like the way you fire that gun."
"Thanks. I like the way you take a bullet."

Offline Vondan

• Bunnygirl
    • http://vondan.com
DDR tourney?
« Reply #45 on: January 05, 2006, 01:45:08 pm »
I have a pinched nerve in one leg, arthritis in my ankles and once had a tiny little adorable stroke so I’d look silly doing DDR.  Is there going to be a tournament for Nap Nap revolution ware we see who can sleep the longest in a lounge chair.

I just thought of something I have made wrestling style championship belts for eating contest and poker games (decorated with plastic ribs and playing cards) I could make one for the DDR
Field Marshall Von Dan

Comander and Chef:  The One Seventy Second Division
President:  DanCo Intergalactic Studios
CEO:  DanCo Interactive
Editor:  DanCo Press LTD
Chancellor:  The Project N.E.R.D.Y. foundation

http://vondan.com

Offline PezCat

• Catgirl
DDR tourney?
« Reply #46 on: January 05, 2006, 03:44:17 pm »
@ Zizmo

Depends.  If it's a technical tournament (points or Perfect Attack), you'll want to be very hardcore indeed.  I can pass some Diff 9's and I won't touch a technical tourney.  Freestyle tournaments generally tend to be at the Standard/Trick difficulty, so if you have a few songs you can make good dances to, you just have to be comfortable enough to step up to do decently.  The first tournament I entered was a freestyle tourney and I finished 3rd.

PezCat

=^..^=

Offline zizmo.07

• Oni
DDR tourney?
« Reply #47 on: January 07, 2006, 08:52:22 pm »
Quote from: "PezCat"
@ Zizmo

The first tournament I entered was a freestyle tourney and I finished 3rd.

PezCat

I was just wondering what kind it was going to be. I would like to enter but i need to know if I have to work up a freestyle routine or just get some practice hours in.  Congrats on the 3rd, I'm just learning to freestyle.   Could you give me some tips perhaps?? I could use all the pointers I can get.

As far as regular play, I've AA on a couple of heavy songs...but that's about the extent of my skill.  I can dance heavy, but prefer standard on most songs just because of the step patterns, I can do more stuff with them.

Offline PezCat

• Catgirl
DDR tourney?
« Reply #48 on: January 09, 2006, 05:36:34 pm »
I dunno all the details from 2005's tournament (I didn't have time this year to follow it, unfortunately).  In 2004 there was both Technical and Freestyle, and I'm hoping we'll see both again this year.

You'll likely want to make a routine of sorts, but that just comes with practice.  Get several songs you enjoy and are really comfortable with on either standard/trick or heavy/maniac, and start to work in other moves than simply the steps - I.E. specific arm and body motions, spins, switches, etc.  Also, don't try to trick out the entire song.  You'll get fancy at a couple of points, then you'll "find" another spot you can be fancy with, and it'll build until you have a routine that almost flows naturally.  I have a 3-song freestyle grouping I use at the arcade that consists of 2 Standards and an Oni, and I can combo out the set while freestyling it, so once you get going, then you just need the practice.

Also, two important rules, regardless of what you go with:  Try not to look down at the pad during the routine (you can lose points for that), and NEVER TOUCH THE BAR!  One of the guys at the tourney I went to grabbed the bar on his second routine, and it cost him is top 3 spot.

I'm sure several people who are much better than I am at this can give even better advice, but that's definitely a few basics.

PezCat

=^..^=

Offline Phylicia

• Cabbit
DDR tourney?
« Reply #49 on: January 13, 2006, 05:47:26 pm »
Quote from: "PezCat"
NEVER TOUCH THE BAR!

You could probably find a way to make it look interesting, though :p People bar-hop, swing under the bar, matrix walk... but yeah, I just think people care too much about touching the bar (in general with DDR). There probably won't be a bar to touch in Kumoricon's setup, anyway.

Aww man I really want to get into FSing...

I've focused purely on tech in my time playing DDR (and other such games), and it's totally different from FS. I can feel totally comfortable PAing, but trying to actually dance in DDR, in PUBLIC, takes damn guts that I don't have because I don't feel confident yet :( Last year there was an FS tourney that I helped judged, which wasn't all too impressive (to be honest), but they deserve a lot of credit for going up and doing it. Power to them.

Hmm maybe I'll practice and compete next year XP No one like seriously freestyles in Oregon...