Author Topic: DDR and Guitar Hero/Rock Band; Enemies?  (Read 4483 times)

Offline DDRmasta

• Sailor Scout
DDR and Guitar Hero/Rock Band; Enemies?
« on: September 20, 2008, 11:12:35 am »
Since Guitar Hero came out and stole away the DDR lovers right off of their mats, there has been tension.
Between the DDR lovers that stuck loyally to it and the new Guitar Hero freaks.
For example, I am a hardcore [sort of T.T] DDR addict while my brother is a Rock Band MANIAC. Everyday, without fail, there will always be some sort of "DDR IS BETTER!" "NO, ROCK BAND DOMINATES!" "SUCKS TO ROCK BAND!" "SCREW DDR!"
So, really: should DDR and Guitar Hero/Rock Band be enemies when they are pretty much the same concept of musical button pressing?
My argument always ends up being 'foot coordination is harder than finger coordination.'
My brother's is always 'Guitar Hero/Rock Band notes go faster than DDR arrows.'
Sigh. Ever get tension like that?

Offline allstarsniper32

• Chibi
Re: DDR and Guitar Hero/Rock Band; Enemies?
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2008, 06:27:45 pm »
Nah I've never had that kind of tension but that's because if there's a DDR player I'd never tell them that DDR sucks. Just because I'm not good at it doesn't mean it sucks. It's ok for you and your bro to argue about it because you are siblings and siblings always argue, but a argument about that by two people who aren't so close would be kinda...stupid.

Offline DancingTofu

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2008, 07:06:10 pm »
My grudges against GH/RB are reciprocal, and a lot of it's actually Konami's fault.  Konami's failure to release Guitar Freaks, DrumMania, and KeyboardMania in the US left the market open, and their lawsuit is going to be an uphill fight.  Additionally, their failure to update and improve GF, like they did with DDR (solo) and BeatMania (II DX) left the market even more open.  Konami does have a few distinct advantages:

-Original music
Bemani (Konami's Music Subcompany) has around 1500 original tracks that they have unlimited license to.
-History and Experience
11 years in the music gaming industry.
-Much better drum kit
Similar to a $1000 7-piece electric drum set.

It's a battle to be fought by the industry bigwigs; I just don't want to see the market go the same way DDR went: American company (RoXoR) makes a better version with more features and consistent syncing, Konami sues, wins lawsuit, and the game is no longer designed competitively.  Sales drop, funds drop, features are lost, major changes are made to the game, the old fanbase dies, and the new fanbase sucks.
moderators gonna moderate </shrug>

Offline ~boogiepop~

• Bunnygirl
    • Glorious Me
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2008, 07:24:29 pm »
I love DDR and still like Rock Band and Guitar Hero. I saw a lot of people falling away from DDR long before Guitar Hero was out. Plus I don't see why someone would make a ridiculous statement that one is better then the other seeing as they are two different things outside the fact that they are both rhythm games. Just my opinion though.

DDR and ITG will always be number one in my heart though.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2008, 02:03:14 am by ~boogiepop~ »
WHY DO THE FORUMS SUCK SO BAD?

~2012 cosplay mofos~
Ramona Flowers- Scott Pilgrim, Miria Harvent- Baccano!, Filia- Skullgirls, Milk- Pop'n Music

Offline DancingTofu

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2008, 07:45:14 pm »
Yeah, seriously.  Konami killed DDR.

Offline kurakoneko

• Cabbit
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2008, 11:56:22 am »
I've never had to deal with that sort of tension before,but I love both games.They're interesting in their own different ways.^^

Offline I Future Trunks I

• Cabbit
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2008, 07:28:36 am »
my friends and i had a DDR GH3 party, and i played paranoid on Expert and Played the legend of Max on Standard
MY COSPLAYS FOR KCON '09!
 MAH COSPLAYS FOR KCON '09
Toshiro Hitsugaya FROM BLEACH
Teen Sora from KINGDOM HEARTS
Mirai no Trunks from Doragon Ball Zetto
AND..of course... Lan Hikari from Megaman NT warrior!

Offline superjaz

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2008, 07:55:23 am »
speaking from a house hold that has both ddr, guitar hero and rock band, lets see...

i am a ddr nut and always have been, i haven been playing much due to space and time constraints
(classic set up work scedules me to work late, i dont want to play before work because i will get too tired and after work i have about 1 hour before bed sigh :'( )

anywho, really rock band didnt affect our ddr playin, it did affect out guitar hero playin, making it almost non existant
superjaz, that is jaz with one z count'um ONE z!
Proud mom of 2 awesome kids

Offline DancingTofu

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2008, 09:49:58 pm »
As long as there's not sound interference, a harmony can be found.