Author Topic: 2009 Vice Chair *Possible* Nomination Q & A, Discussion  (Read 6737 times)

Offline modab

• Founder
  • Sailor Scout
2009 Vice Chair *Possible* Nomination Q & A, Discussion
« on: September 29, 2008, 10:23:15 pm »
This  thread is for discussion about the Vice Chair position for Kumoricon 2009,which may or may not become a position decided by staff voting and a vote by the board to amend the bylaws.

Here is a job description, as scripted by this year's Vice Chair:
Duties:
* Take the place of the Con Chair, or any other Director, in the event they step down, become incapacitated or otherwise unable to fulfill duties.
* Takes on projects on behalf of the Con Chair to lighten his/her work load. 
* Be available to staff to answer any questions about Kumoricon or Alto-Nimbus as a whole.
* Be available to help any staffer or attendee with an issue that they do not feel comofortable going to the con chair with.
* Help with interdepartment communications.
* Check in on departments and see how things are going, pitch in as needed.
* Coordinating VIP member level benefits and swag.
* Running the Maid Squad, as they are associated with and funded by VIP memberships.
* Taking over miscellainous duties that are not being taken care of.  IE - Unfilled managerships.

This year, Vice also ran Con Suite.  This was an informal arrangement between Vice and Operations, though the current Vice Chair reccomends that this becomes formalized. 

-----

It is possible this position will be voted on during the general election this year. This will happen if the staff votes to amend the bylaws to make this change, a motion that was proposed in the previous meeting, and the board also votes to approve it. If so, it behooves you to know who is running, what their qualifications are, what they plan to do.

Here is a list of people who have been recommended for Vice Chair. Please note these names have been floated around, but none of them have necessarily "Accepted". Anyone I know for sure accepted I've marked. Due to the way the position is currently selected (by board vote a month after the general election, instead of staff vote during the general election), there will likely be some confusion amongst the "recommended".
Michael Andrews
Beau Gentry (Accepted)
Dawn Hewitt
Bronwyn "Brownie" Williams

The recommendations thread is here:http://www.kumoricon.org/forums/index.php?topic=7902.0

You may ask questions for them to answer in this post, and if you know them please encourage them to reply. Remember to be civil. You may also use this thread to discuss the responsibilities of this position for 2009, especially ones you think should be added, modified, or removed.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2008, 09:28:26 pm by modab »
Peter Verrey, Founder

Offline BigGuy

• Catgirl
Re: 2009 Vice Chair *Possible* Nomination Q & A, Discussion
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2008, 04:35:37 pm »
If it matters I accept my nomination/recommendation. I will post a short introduction later.
And now I'm a catgirl?

The voice of the one I love
was all I could hear as I lay broken in the darkness
My own voice faltered
My wings no longer had the strength to fly
 -Lagoon Engine Einsatz-

Offline AnimeMatrix

• Chibi
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2008, 02:54:01 am »
This question I asked in the Director of Relations thread, but I want to ask this to all the board positions (though I'm too lazy to post in each of the questions threads...)

How're your communication skills? And how easy is it to get a hold of you?

Offline RemSaverem

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2008, 10:36:40 am »
With regard to the Con Suite, on the one hand, I can see some benefit if there is one location in which anyone could reliably locate the con's Vice Chair, just in case something came up where they were needed in a pinch. On the other hand, really, any volunteer could oversee a table of food (or VC could coordinate a crew of volunteers or staff responsible for prepping, serving, supervising, cleaning up after such). And that would leave the VC free to roam with the Chair, or separately, and put out fires whereever they may arise, or help with PR as needed, etc.

Which is preferable, and why, from the standpoint of each potential nominee?

Also, if anyone has anyone else in mind they'd like to recommend for this position, can this thread be used for mention of such?
Ellen. 2003: Fanfic panelist & contest judge.
2004: Beta Station Coord. 2005: Fan Creation Station Coord.;pre-event assistant to the con chair.2006: Fanfic Mgr/C.S. Coord.
2007, 8, 9, 10: Fan Creation Manager. 2011: Writing & Editing Coord (Publicity).

Offline melchizedek

• Bunnygirl
    • Don't play with fire
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2008, 11:02:15 am »
We still had a con suite manager so VC wasn't really tied to con suite... most of the times I went to the con suite I didn't see the VC there but usually the con suite manager of her daughter.

Running con suite I don't think it meant staying there all / most the time?
Yaoi crossplay... is actually Yuri.

Offline RemSaverem

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2008, 11:04:07 am »
We still had a con suite manager so VC wasn't really tied to con suite... most of the times I went to the con suite I didn't see the VC there but usually the con suite manager of her daughter.

Okay I appreciate that clarification.
Personally I found it really helpful that Jaki arranged for there to effectively be an "Office Manager" of the Programming Suite, so I thought that perhaps VC was given the equivalent role for Con Suite.
2004: Beta Station Coord. 2005: Fan Creation Station Coord.;pre-event assistant to the con chair.2006: Fanfic Mgr/C.S. Coord.
2007, 8, 9, 10: Fan Creation Manager. 2011: Writing & Editing Coord (Publicity).

Offline BigGuy

• Catgirl
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2008, 06:25:22 pm »
With regard to the con suite I think having a suite manager is an awesome idea and we lucked out to find Deanna(sp?)
 I feel the VC should be moving around the con checking on people and fixing things that went wrong. That's what I'm really good at.
 I'm really easy to get a hold of either on these forums or by email. I have reliable internet and a cell for those who need to call/txt me
And now I'm a catgirl?

My own voice faltered
 -Lagoon Engine Einsatz-

Offline Rathany

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2008, 06:34:55 pm »

If I was there, I was likely unconscience :)  I just think that VC needs a little more in the way of formalized duties and that con suite just seems to be a good fit.  Maid Squad and Disabilities Coordinator being under VC is also kinda unofficial.  These all have a common take-care-of-people theme.  Anyway, next VC is free to embrace fo reject this idea ;)
2003 - 2006 Kumoricon Attendee
2007 - Assistant Registration Manager - PreReg Side
2008 - Vice Chair
2009/2010 - Director of Relations
2011 - Return to Vice
2012 - herp derp

Offline RemSaverem

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2008, 01:02:17 pm »
With regard to the con suite I think having a suite manager is an awesome idea and we lucked out to find Deanna(sp?)
 I feel the VC should be moving around the con checking on people and fixing things that went wrong. That's what I'm really good at.
 I'm really easy to get a hold of either on these forums or by email. I have reliable internet and a cell for those who need to call/txt me

Yes I personally witnessed this, when you helped with the little hotel equipment situation that came up in the EMC, as Prog's liason to Ops :) Thanks :)

Replying to Dawn: I love that we would have a take-care-of-people theme, and especially that it would be the emphasis of such a high-profile position at the near-top of the KC organizational chart :)

Offline BigGuy

• Catgirl
« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2008, 06:06:45 pm »
sorry for my laziness today but I'm just gonna repost my intro from the OPS thread here.

I'm Beau Gentry.
 I've been with Kumoricon in some way or another since before the first year. I was part of the anime club Peter and Duncan were running at the UO and members from that club were the founders(I am not, nor have ever been a founder, only staff)
 I've worked mostly in Ops, sometimes as a Yojimbo, in 08 I was the first Liaison to Programming. I've always tried to move around the con helping Staff and Attendees as best as I can.
 Part of my plans for Ops is to step away from the department of Yojimbo a little and appoint qualified and trustworthy managers to the sub-departments in Ops so I can try to oversee the running of all the departments.
 I would love to see the overall efficiency of the con improve, we have fantastic volunteers and staff, sometimes they don't have the means to do the work they need/want to, mostly due to communication issues and logistics.
 For my work I've been working at a Grocery store unofficially running a small crew of freight workers. The other jobs I've had have all been dealing with the public in one way or another(except for the hour and a half I DJ'd at a strip club  ::)   ask me about that sometime  :)
 I am not staff at any other convention.
 I welcome any and all questions or comments
« Last Edit: October 02, 2008, 06:07:47 pm by BigGuy »
And now I'm a catgirl?

My own voice faltered
 -Lagoon Engine Einsatz-

Offline Radien

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2008, 04:09:15 am »
BigGuy, I am glad to see you accepting the nomination.  You've always been a calming effect on the convention from everything I've seen. :) I think you do great as a "Duncan" type staffer, interacting with various different departments.
A member of Eugene Cosplayers. Come hang out with us.

Kumori Con 2010 Cosplays:

Link (The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess)
Apollo Justice

Offline RemSaverem

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2008, 12:07:21 am »
BigGuy, I am glad to see you accepting the nomination.  You've always been a calming effect on the convention from everything I've seen. :) I think you do great as a "Duncan" type staffer, interacting with various different departments.
*Grins* *Agrees*
Duncan if you happen to read this, you've been missed :)

Offline Lily

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #12 on: December 12, 2008, 11:49:23 am »
I've PM'd the Vice Chair, but just to put it here, too...

I'm willing to return as Con Suite manager. There are a few details that would need to be tweaked, but I'd be happy to come back again. :)

Deena
Con Suite Manager 2008