Author Topic: photoshop help sought  (Read 2714 times)

Offline RemSaverem

• Bunnygirl
photoshop help sought
« on: January 17, 2005, 02:51:59 pm »
please forgive my ignorance, but i am really in need of some guidance or hands-on help with regard to photoshop.

i'm having an art show here in eugene at the end of the month. several photos for it are on a website, but they're soooooo huuuuuuge that the person who tried to print them out for me was unable to!

someone told me "you just have to compress the files" but i have no idea how to do that?

eek!

anyone?
Ellen. 2003: Fanfic panelist & contest judge.
2004: Beta Station Coord. 2005: Fan Creation Station Coord.;pre-event assistant to the con chair.2006: Fanfic Mgr/C.S. Coord.
2007, 8, 9, 10: Fan Creation Manager. 2011: Writing & Editing Coord (Publicity).

Offline Irnogs

• Chibi
photoshop help sought
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2005, 07:02:22 pm »
uhmm.. huge as in file size, or huge as in image size??

I'm assuming you have PS installed, so I'll go ahead and try to run through this with you...

Fist, save the images to your computer. I usually save it to the desktop so it's easy for me to find.

Next, open up photoshop and open up the images.

Now, if the problem is the FILE size:
You can either go to: File -> Save for Web then choose jpeg file type (best compression) from the drop down box and then you can choose the quality which also affects file size. There should be a preview so you'd know how much of the image quality you are losing.
Or, you can just go to: File -> Save as -> choose jpeg from the drop-down, then choose the quality (no preview this way though)

Now, if the problem is the IMAGE size:
Go to: Image -> Image size. There you will find a dialog box that shows your dimensions. You might want to make sure that the units are in inches, then you would probably want to resize the image to no larger than 8 X 10, but keep the same aspect ratio as before (it will do this automatically if you have the "constrain proportions" dialog box checked), otherwise it may distort the image. Of course, if you mess up you can always just undo it (ctrl + z).

hope this helps!!

Offline RemSaverem

• Bunnygirl
photoshop help sought
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2005, 11:04:05 pm »
image size
thanks!
Ellen. 2003: Fanfic panelist & contest judge.
2004: Beta Station Coord. 2005: Fan Creation Station Coord.;pre-event assistant to the con chair.2006: Fanfic Mgr/C.S. Coord.
2007, 8, 9, 10: Fan Creation Manager. 2011: Writing & Editing Coord (Publicity).