Author Topic: New Gaminig Coordinator  (Read 10997 times)

Offline LiLd3vil4u

• Cabbit
New Gaminig Coordinator
« on: October 13, 2008, 05:14:27 pm »
After speaking with the Programming Director, Jaki, following the elections on the 11th I have decided to take up the proverbial gaming "reins" again and get back in the saddle. For those of you who are not familiar with me, I am Jenn, or David's little sister to most people. lol Some of you may know me from my involvement with gaming in 2005 & 2006, when I took over as coordinator for my brother. Due to personal reasons I was unable to participate in '07 and '08 but this year I have decided to come back and make it bigger, make it badder and make it awesome. :)

I have quite a few ideas that I have already begun to discuss with Jaki about not only involving gaming more in the convention itself, but also with bringing in some seriously sweet prizes and an even more expansive library full of goodies for our attendees to choose from. My assistant Lindsay, or my partner in crime as I like to call her, is also going to be bringing us some quite impressive contacts. As the manager at the Klamath Falls GameStop she has access to all sorts of people within the gaming industry. We are currently working together to discuss them potentially sponsoring us, talk about Epic! Now what this means for you...is some seriously amazing prizes...not just games and goodies....but actual CONSOLES. Yes, thats what I said....CONSOLES. :) I have various other ideas for prizes, which I will not reveal as of yet. Can't put the cart before the horse you know. I am working on getting a current list of our inventory to pull a budget so I can figure out what needs to be purchased and what I can pull as donations from our sponsors. I have also discussed with our Hotel Liason, or my brother :), about doing a walk through of the gaming space at the Hilton. This gives me a chance to figure out how big I can REALLY go. ^^ I have a bunch of other ideas and other places I would like to go with gaming, but in order for me to do this what I need to know first is what our attendees want and would like to see. If you have ANY and I mean ANY Rants, Raves, Suggestions or Ideas for things please either post it hear, send me an email or  even a private message. I would love to know how far we can go with this, and the sooner I get started on it the more I can accomplish.

Email: Mikomii.red@gmail.com

Offline Mister_manji

• Chibi
Re: New Gaminig Coordinator
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2008, 08:08:11 pm »
Remember that any expansion requires more Yojimbo, which, if this year was any indication, will be hard to get. We, of course, need to get Rockband 2. We broke that pedal this year, and it took the better part of 2 hours to fix permanently.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2008, 08:13:16 pm by Mister_manji »
K-Con attendee 2004, 2006
2007 Programming Staff
2008 Programming Staff
2009 Special Events Manager
2010 Assistant Director of Operations
2011 Assistant Director of Operations

Offline melchizedek

• Bunnygirl
    • Don't play with fire
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2008, 08:34:28 pm »
I think it'd be good if we put some arcade gaming in, that wouldn't really require more yojis because you can't take a cabinet and drag if off easily
Yaoi crossplay... is actually Yuri.

Offline TomtheFanboy

• Bunnygirl
    • Twitter
    • Kumoricon Archives
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2008, 09:04:33 am »
OK good, now I know who to talk to about the seating and map stuff for the Gaming Room. Though I'm sure David will just give you whatever you need.  ::)
Tom the Fanboy
Passion over Pedantry!
Pocky Club President 2005-2010

Offline Kurokaizoku

• Chibi
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2008, 10:22:26 am »
I think it'd be good if we put some arcade gaming in, that wouldn't really require more yojis because you can't take a cabinet and drag if off easily

We had an arcade cabinet in 07. Dunno where it came from or where it went...but we did have it.
'07- Console Gaming staff. First con. Ever.
'08- Console Gaming staff.
'09- Console Gaming Manager.
'10- Console Gaming Assistant Manager
'11- Con Suite Manager
'12- Live Events Assistant Manager

Offline Kurokaizoku

• Chibi
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2008, 10:26:54 am »
Remember that any expansion requires more Yojimbo, which, if this year was any indication, will be hard to get. We, of course, need to get Rockband 2. We broke that pedal this year, and it took the better part of 2 hours to fix permanently.

Not necessarily. As long as they watch the doors properly (which they sometimes cant do....especially females it seemed) we are fine in the game room as Lucas and I are uber nazi about watching stuff. And we havent had any problems either year we were there (07/08). Its more a matter of any expansion requires more game staff.
There is always trouble with getting yoji alotted to where they need them. Especially gaming as we arent priority. We are like a side event.
It will be much easier if they dont make bag check public AND run by gaming. That was a terrible idea. We should have kept it in the room. But....whatevs. I'll quit that rant before I start....
'11- Con Suite Manager

Offline LiLd3vil4u

• Cabbit
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2008, 01:52:26 pm »
Good ideas and good points. Basically all is going to depend on the room we have. We may or may not need more Yoji's, I just have to make sure that any and all exits are adequately covered by at least two people. For example if there are only two doors...I only need four people to cover them both. However, if there are in fact more doors to be covered then yes, we will need more people.

I DO prefer that bag check is actually inside the gaming room so we have all gaming staff able to keep an eye on things. The downside to this is that once the attendee's actually get their bags back, its possible to have them not exit then at the end of con wonder "Hmm, where did that xbox run off to?" (exaggeration, lol) But that is something we will know better once I have a view of what were up against as far as room space goes.

The staff for the game room is going to have to increase regardless of the amount of stuff we have...more attendees=more staff. I am already working on pulling more people in for this and would love it if I could have everyone from last years staff stay with me. I wasn't there, THEY were, which means they have a better handle on what does and doesn't need to be fixed. So if my previous staff people are reading this I would love to have you email me so we can put together a time for all of us to meet and greet one another and have a general sit down and discuss.  I would prefer to do this outside of the general meetings because I will be extremely busy at those and my head will be full of stuff to discuss with our head honcho Jaki and the various other directors. I want to make sure you all have my full attention so my mind doesn't wander back and forth to "oh crap I forgot to talk to so & so about this." -_-' I also am going to need the contact information of my staff for game room so I can run ideas by you and keep you posted PRE con instead of just tossing you to the wolves when we get there. Plus all of you have unique expertise in different areas and I want to put you were you are the most effective. Location, Location, Location. :)

As for the idea of arcade games...I love, love, love this! I am sincerely hoping to get a few this year, but its going to as I said before depend on space, as well as what we can afford. I have a few connections with game crazy and I know they always have a few on hand. I will have a chat with my buddy Matt to see if we can talk their supplier into either donating a few for the weekend or renting them. Also, I have a few ties with the people at Wunderland in Salem. I intend to have a chat with them as well, to see what they can offer us.

As far as gaming not being a priority, your right unfortunately. We most definitely are not considered one of the highlights of the convention. This is something that I intend to change, hence my reference to getting gaming more involved within the con itself. We are entirely too isolated in our own little corner of the world and half the attendees probably don't even know we exist unless they read their programming guides. We need to fix this, and I'm going to see to it that it happens. ;)

Tom, lol knowing my brother and his craziness I am certain I will be speaking to you frequently. I would still love a copy anything you have that I can share with my staff, if you are okay with that?

Offline DancingTofu

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2008, 06:17:26 pm »

We had an arcade cabinet in 07. Dunno where it came from or where it went...but we did have it.
We had five.  Ground Kontrol brought them.  There's a good chance we'll have them in '09.
moderators gonna moderate </shrug>

Offline LiLd3vil4u

• Cabbit
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2008, 08:51:44 pm »
Oooh! Shiney! Any chance you have their contact information Tofu? Or know the person who does have it?

Offline DancingTofu

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2008, 10:16:44 pm »
Oooh! Shiney! Any chance you have their contact information Tofu? Or know the person who does have it?
Mark and I have both worked with them, and I'm half-planning on negotiating with them for Kumoricon '09.  I've additionally established a business relationship with Viso and PlayNTrade which I will be happy to contribute towards acquiring prizes and equipment. 

I suppose you probably don't know who I am, so I'll introduce myself.

I'm Tofu, AKA Charlie.  I have training and experience making 3D layouts, and I'm planning on doing so for the Game Room in 2009 (I made a detailed 3D layout for the 2008 game room, which we used to a fair extent.  Some dimensional inconsistencies and not having access to a full inventory, as well as having a TON of Bawls in one corner meant we had to improvise, but overall, it was a helpful tool).  I also run tournaments.  I helped with the DDR in 2006, I effectively ran the DDR in 2007, and I officially ran the DDR, Rock Band "Battle of the Bands", and Guitar Hero tournament in 2008.  I'm managing Video Gaming for MEW Con in Vancouver, Washington this coming New Year's eve and day.  I enjoy bicycles, rhythm games, oldschool arcade games like Joust and Bubble Bobble, Magic:TG, and all forms of tabletop gaming.

Now, a few individual issues, now that I have some time at my leisure:

Mark should have a full inventory of all Consoles, Controllers, Cables, and Games on his computer.  If he's not being helpful, talk to Rene, since she's the one who put together the inventory lists, and would know where they are saved on the computer.  The two Cobalt Flux DDR platforms may not be included in the list, but there are two of those; no more, no less.

I have some ideas I want to try out for a few tournaments which I will need to talk to you and Jaki about.  These ideas would contribute to expanding gaming within the convention, and would help a LOT with crowd control.  I'll run those by you through PM.

My inspiration to do layouts is the sensitivity of sound interference between rhythm games.  The rhythm game setups at Kumoricon lite and Sakuracon were both terrible, and I wanted to make sure Kumoricon was much better.  It was.  The only time the two Rock Bands could hear each other was in the menus.  Guitar Hero never bothered any of the other rhythm games and I never heard a complaint from there, so I assumed that worked well, and the two DDR's were well-balanced and perfectly audible on both sides.
So yeah, I'm being a bit of a control freak about it; I want to do the layouts.  But I'm not an idiot; the more people we have working on the layouts, the better they'll get.  Until Lucas came along and started discussing my layouts with me, there were plenty of flaws.  I'm hopeful that you'll be happy to let me spend the hours making detailed 3D layouts, and bring the layouts to you so you can construct and critique.  I'll be at every meeting within Portland unless something major comes up, like a surprise trip to Guam or something, and I'm also a common face at local arcades.  If you have a decent computer, download Google SketchUp; this is the program I make my layouts in.  I can compress the layouts and send them to you if we can't meet physically to collaborate on them for some reason.

Offline LiLd3vil4u

• Cabbit
« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2008, 08:43:14 am »
Sounds like a dandy plan to me Tofu. I will poke you when I have access to my own comp and can download the software. I am kinda stuck in the middle of moving at the moment and don't have the ability to download anything. -_-'
I agree with you about the rhythm games, but we will talk more about placement and inventory when I can visualize the room better. I need to get a hold of marks # again, cuz I have a few things I need to discuss with him as well. :)

Offline melchizedek

• Bunnygirl
    • Don't play with fire
« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2008, 10:22:54 am »
I know we didn't do it in 07 but the nice thing about arcade boxes is that we really don't need to keep them in the gaming room.  Sakuracon sets them in the hallways and I've never heard of them having trouble with them?

I'd also like to see LAN gaming too.  So, I'm trying to find the right person to talk about sponsoring k-con with some free pc gear and games in exchange for some publicity.  Not sure how to make this happen but it'd one of my goals for the year.

Offline kylite

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2008, 12:38:30 pm »
one comment I will make in regards to toms maps. IF gaming is going to be where he has it in the maps, right across from main events, the game room will get PLENTY of exposure. again only in theory but that's my 2 cents on that

as for yojis we are working to get about 40 this year if possible. I can do it with 20 but it would be stretched to the breaking point. 2 on each door of the gaming room is great. I would prefer if they were not dragged into bag check but *shrugs* things happen and that's what we are there for.
Yojimbo Assistant Manager, Hopeless Flirt
Work: Monday-Friday 12:30-9:39pm
We don't need Kira... we have kylite.  - randompvg

Offline Kurokaizoku

• Chibi
« Reply #13 on: October 15, 2008, 07:29:17 pm »
Good ideas and good points. Basically all is going to depend on the room we have. We may or may not need more Yoji's, I just have to make sure that any and all exits are adequately covered by at least two people. For example if there are only two doors...I only need four people to cover them both. However, if there are in fact more doors to be covered then yes, we will need more people.

I DO prefer that bag check is actually inside the gaming room so we have all gaming staff able to keep an eye on things. The downside to this is that once the attendee's actually get their bags back, its possible to have them not exit then at the end of con wonder "Hmm, where did that xbox run off to?" (exaggeration, lol) But that is something we will know better once I have a view of what were up against as far as room space goes.

The staff for the game room is going to have to increase regardless of the amount of stuff we have...more attendees=more staff. I am already working on pulling more people in for this and would love it if I could have everyone from last years staff stay with me. I wasn't there, THEY were, which means they have a better handle on what does and doesn't need to be fixed. So if my previous staff people are reading this I would love to have you email me so we can put together a time for all of us to meet and greet one another and have a general sit down and discuss.  I would prefer to do this outside of the general meetings because I will be extremely busy at those and my head will be full of stuff to discuss with our head honcho Jaki and the various other directors. I want to make sure you all have my full attention so my mind doesn't wander back and forth to "oh crap I forgot to talk to so & so about this." -_-' I also am going to need the contact information of my staff for game room so I can run ideas by you and keep you posted PRE con instead of just tossing you to the wolves when we get there. Plus all of you have unique expertise in different areas and I want to put you were you are the most effective. Location, Location, Location. :)

As for the idea of arcade games...I love, love, love this! I am sincerely hoping to get a few this year, but its going to as I said before depend on space, as well as what we can afford. I have a few connections with game crazy and I know they always have a few on hand. I will have a chat with my buddy Matt to see if we can talk their supplier into either donating a few for the weekend or renting them. Also, I have a few ties with the people at Wunderland in Salem. I intend to have a chat with them as well, to see what they can offer us.

As far as gaming not being a priority, your right unfortunately. We most definitely are not considered one of the highlights of the convention. This is something that I intend to change, hence my reference to getting gaming more involved within the con itself. We are entirely too isolated in our own little corner of the world and half the attendees probably don't even know we exist unless they read their programming guides. We need to fix this, and I'm going to see to it that it happens. ;)

Tom, lol knowing my brother and his craziness I am certain I will be speaking to you frequently. I would still love a copy anything you have that I can share with my staff, if you are okay with that?

Well, my point on bag check was it can be out of the room, or run by gaming but not both. When in the room game staff ran it successfully. Last year however with it outside we couldnt support the room and put our staff outside of it so yojis were pulled in.
We dont want more than 2 doors in use. Best thing to do is with bag check in room (Tofu, keep this in mind for your layout) put bag check in between the doors, once in they MUST check bags and they cannot leave without taking their bag(we need a good system for marking bag to person...clothespins kinda worked...tape sucked it up) as well once they have their bag they must continue out the door.
I should probably say, I'm Rene. Marks younger sister. I joined Kcon 07. Mark got myself and my fiance(until halloween) Lucas roped in. Lucas is good with security and would make a great yoji if he wasnt obsessed with gaming...but he kinda runs the security of the room. I just deal with check in/out with the inventory. And do touch downs with whoever needs it(read: i communicate with Jaki since Mark doesnt).
I plan on staffing again this year, as will Lucas. We may or may not e bringing our son with us(he was just born on the 1st) So far he is a quiet little guy so I don't think he'll be a problem, if he is then he will be staying with grandma that weekend...

You can get in touch with me any time. I can PM you my number(and Marks) if you need them.
'11- Con Suite Manager

Offline LiLd3vil4u

• Cabbit
« Reply #14 on: October 16, 2008, 11:55:55 am »
I know we didn't do it in 07 but the nice thing about arcade boxes is that we really don't need to keep them in the gaming room.  Sakuracon sets them in the hallways and I've never heard of them having trouble with them?

I'd also like to see LAN gaming too.  So, I'm trying to find the right person to talk about sponsoring k-con with some free pc gear and games in exchange for some publicity.  Not sure how to make this happen but it'd one of my goals for the year.

Yes, but if were renting arcade games, I would prefer to have them in a space where we can keep an eye on them. I would rather not find out the true meaning of TILT when someone tries to pwn the machine cuz they lose. *I have seen this happen btw* :D Another thing is the space. I am not sure how big the hallways are, but if we block them, they become a fire hazard and then I get pwned by the fire marshal as well as the hotel. ><

LAN Gaming is something I am sincerely hoping to bring back too. I got dailies in WoW to do you know! lol j/k but yes I want to try to get a hold of backspace again, and possibly talk to my old employer at Borderlands Games to see if maybe they would be interested in sponsoring our LAN gaming with the use of their PC's in exchange for maybe a vendor booth? Before I do any of this though, I really need to see the room and figure out what we have for space.

Kylite: I did talk to my brother and he said he's pretty damn sure thats where gaming will be. If it stays there....zomg that would be amazing! People will again know we exist! lol Also I would prefer that yoji's weren't put in bag check, that is NOT their job and its not fair to put them there. I am going to try to get adequate staff from the game room to cover it completely so we can rotate people around. I don't want the same people stuck there the whole con. That would teh suck.

Rene: GRATZ ON YOUR BABY! lol ^^ I am ecstatic that you and Lucas will be coming back this year! I know you guys were a huge help last year, and I was worried with the new baby you guys wouldn't be able to attend. I would love to get your input on last years game room as well. Especially with the inventory  and how you guys ran it, how effective it was, and any problems you had. Please, please, please PM me your number. Tofu gave me mark's, but I would like to have yours as well. :)

Offline DancingTofu

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #15 on: October 16, 2008, 10:18:14 pm »
Anything longer than 4 hours in bag check is banned by the Geneva Conventions; 2 hours is considered inhumane but legal; 1 hour is a reasonable maximum per 4 hours/3 working hours. :P

Nobody has picked up on my idea for bag tags; some feedback on that would be great.  I think I posted it in General Staff.

Backspace no longer has a significant LAN network; they only have 11 or 12 computers now, so getting them to bring in 6-8 computers would be very difficult and expensive.  I know some people who attend and run LAN parties who I'm going to talk to and see if we can get any good renters/lenders.

I want to set up some arcade cabinets outside the room.  If we do, I'll personally stay up all night every night guarding them. (read: playing Bubble Bobble and Joust)

Offline DancingTofu

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #16 on: October 16, 2008, 11:34:11 pm »

We used to use Backspace for our LAN gaming. They would bring in their 8 of their "back room" computers and we would provide the internets. But they have since changed hands and have become a pearl district hangout more than a LAN center.

I'll call around to some friends from my professional gaming days and see if we can make LAN gaming happen this year.
Again, I thank you for anything and everything you do to make sure we don't lose this important facet of the con.

Offline kylite

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #17 on: October 17, 2008, 10:08:45 am »
ok I have to ask (purely in a joking fashion) but... you oay for 3 days of Kumoricon goodness and then go into the gaming room and play wow for all 3 days. which is a pay game. my brain hurts when I try to figure out why LOL
Yojimbo Assistant Manager, Hopeless Flirt
Work: Monday-Friday 12:30-9:39pm
We don't need Kira... we have kylite.  - randompvg

Offline DancingTofu

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #18 on: October 17, 2008, 09:28:41 pm »
Obsession.

Offline melchizedek

• Bunnygirl
    • Don't play with fire
« Reply #19 on: October 17, 2008, 11:45:06 pm »
I talked to work but haven't found anyone willing to sponsor gamingness oh well, still have a year ;)

Offline allstarsniper32

• Chibi
« Reply #20 on: October 19, 2008, 06:54:01 pm »
a LAN party doesn't need an internet connection. unless playing over the internet is the only way to play the games. Yeah I'll admit I don't like WoW. Now if D3 is out by the time Kcon09 happens then by all means, set up the internet lol.

Offline Deviant Spider

• Chibi
« Reply #21 on: October 19, 2008, 08:08:41 pm »
lol. I dont play WoW but many of my friends do (almost all) and honestly with a game so popular as WoW is, not having an internet connection for a LAN party (if its possible) would dissapoint many. If we make it WoW friendly I can gaurentee many people will play. I agree that there are many other things to do at a con than play wow, thats why I dont play. But there is MUCH love for that game. So much it scares me.
2008 Adult Content Coordinator
2009 Adult Content Coordinator
Onyxspider@gmail.com

Offline Bob

• Chibi
« Reply #22 on: October 19, 2008, 10:48:22 pm »
I'm trying to become a game room yoji,I'm just having trouble making it to a meeting.
If I had've known that people would call me my forum name at the con, I wouldn't of picked something so dumb.

Offline DancingTofu

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #23 on: October 19, 2008, 11:44:49 pm »
Goin' yoji on us now?

For the record, game room staff =/= yojimbo.  There are Yojimbo who work the game room, but they're just regular Yojimbo.  Definitely come to any meetings you can make, because there are a lot of new ideas coming up regarding the interaction of the game room with the rest of the convention, especially the yojimbo.

Offline allstarsniper32

• Chibi
« Reply #24 on: October 20, 2008, 10:35:47 pm »
I wouldn't mind the whole WoW thing at the con so much if they were only allowed to play it if each person playing WoW at the time was in their party or something. Having LAN is about playing the games you love with people you want to play with, not, playing a game you love sitting next to people who most likely aren't anywhere near you in that game world. But that's why mostly RTS's and FPS's are at LAN parties, you join a game and play with the people in that game. but that's just my personal preference, I would just rather people play WoW in their hotel room instead of taking up space in the gaming LAN room, or part.

Offline Bob

• Chibi
« Reply #25 on: October 20, 2008, 11:29:54 pm »
I wouldn't mind the whole WoW thing at the con so much if they were only allowed to play it if each person playing WoW at the time was in their party or something. Having LAN is about playing the games you love with people you want to play with, not, playing a game you love sitting next to people who most likely aren't anywhere near you in that game world. But that's why mostly RTS's and FPS's are at LAN parties, you join a game and play with the people in that game. but that's just my personal preference, I would just rather people play WoW in their hotel room instead of taking up space in the gaming LAN room, or part.

I completely agree to that. like in '06 we had the FPS that everyone loved. it was a great time. and that one person at the end, whom dind't seem to be enjoying herself nearly as much as everyone else as she sat there and played WoW.
If I had've known that people would call me my forum name at the con, I wouldn't of picked something so dumb.

Offline melchizedek

• Bunnygirl
    • Don't play with fire
« Reply #26 on: November 07, 2008, 11:39:38 pm »
I think the problem with having WOW or any other mmorpg is that people would just get sucked in.  I know when there were people wowing it up in 07 there was not a free computer to be had for some of us that might have liked to play a FPS with some of the people adjacent to us like one would in a real lan party

Offline DancingTofu

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #27 on: November 09, 2008, 11:41:59 pm »
You know, there's absolutely nothing stopping people from bringing in a Laptop and playing WOW as long as we have free WiFi, which we probably do.  And if people don't have a laptop, it's really not that hard to bring in a desktop and set it up in a hotel room if you want to waste your $35 or however much you paid to get into the con playing a game with a bunch of people that aren't there.  I'm going to put forth a motion to NOT have any MMORPG's installed or otherwise playable on our NETWORK LINKED LAN COMPUTERS. (if we have any)

Offline LiLd3vil4u

• Cabbit
« Reply #28 on: November 10, 2008, 06:27:58 pm »
You know, there's absolutely nothing stopping people from bringing in a Laptop and playing WOW as long as we have free WiFi, which we probably do.  And if people don't have a laptop, it's really not that hard to bring in a desktop and set it up in a hotel room if you want to waste your $35 or however much you paid to get into the con playing a game with a bunch of people that aren't there.  I'm going to put forth a motion to NOT have any MMORPG's installed or otherwise playable on our NETWORK LINKED LAN COMPUTERS. (if we have any)

Well.. depending on the LAN comps we get, MMO's are either going to be on there or they are not. We really don't have the right to go to our supplier and tell them they can or can't have specific games installed on their PC's. For example if we go through Backspace I hardly think they are going to be very receptive to the Con if we tell them they have to uninstall any and all MMO's they have. Besides, that sends the message that we don't support that particular type of gaming which not only will cause us to lose a very large customer base, but also makes us look extremely unprofessional. I agree that it should be limited, but that goes for any and all computer use. Look at how many gamers play WoW, or Final Fantasy XI, or Everquest II. . Besides, if they decide that they want to spend their hard earned cash coming to our convention to play an MMO that is their choice. Are they missing out...heck yes! But its not our money, it's theirs. We are simply here to provide a service to our attendees. So assuming that we get computers and internet access, if the attendees decide they want to include MMO's I see no reason why we should refuse this.

Also, at all of the LAN parties I have attended it appeared to me as though most of the people there didn't know one another, or maybe knew a handful of the people. But as I meandered through out the systems they had set up, not everyone was playing the same game. Some played FPS's, some were playing RPG's, and others were playing RTS's. The only time that everyone played the same game was usually during tournaments. That's why they have assigned times for tournaments and assigned times for free play. Not everyone enjoys the same things, and it would be naive of us to assume so and try to enforce this.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2008, 06:41:50 pm by LiLd3vil4u »

Offline DancingTofu

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #29 on: November 11, 2008, 01:29:50 am »
Okay, that makes sense, but we really ought to have some way to enforce time limits on computers if people are waiting to use them. 

Offline LiLd3vil4u

• Cabbit
« Reply #30 on: November 11, 2008, 01:03:51 pm »
oh I completely agree! That's why there will be a specified time limit for the computer use. Obviously we can't have people boguarding them. lol But that goes for any game type, not just MMO's. :) We will touch more on this at the gaming staff meeting which I will announce within the next week in another thread. Keep an eye out on the forums!

Offline DancingTofu

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #31 on: November 12, 2008, 11:19:55 pm »
Ledding Library in Milwaukie has a new system where the computers are networked to operate only by entering your library card number and name, then you have 30 minutes to use the computer from the time you press "OK".  They're pretty low-budget, so I imagine it wouldn't be something outside of our capabilities.

Offline kalira

• Chibi
« Reply #32 on: November 13, 2008, 12:57:50 pm »
Ledding Library in Milwaukie has a new system where the computers are networked to operate only by entering your library card number and name, then you have 30 minutes to use the computer from the time you press "OK".  They're pretty low-budget, so I imagine it wouldn't be something outside of our capabilities.

Much like it would be inappropriate to ask them to uninstall there MMO from the systems, it is equally so to ask them to install custom software to enforce this.  You have to understand the 362 other days of the year these machines are used in there business.  In fact when they were at con in the past they ran the PC's and made the rules for them. 
« Last Edit: November 13, 2008, 12:59:42 pm by kalira »

Offline DancingTofu

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #33 on: November 13, 2008, 10:31:53 pm »
I think everyone's ignoring a vital point here: we don't even know who "they" are at this point.  If "they" happen to be us (we get a donation or a discount), I don't see any problem with installing timers on the computer.  If "they" happen to be a private party (individual lending us computers, company loaning us hardware, etc), it wouldn't be at all unreasonable to suggest the idea.  If "they" happen to be an organization that uses the hardware at other events, it would still be an offer to leave up in the air.  Offering free custom software that they could use isn't at all inappropriate.

Offline kalira

• Chibi
« Reply #34 on: November 13, 2008, 10:50:28 pm »
I think everyone's ignoring a vital point here: we don't even know who "they" are at this point.  If "they" happen to be us (we get a donation or a discount), I don't see any problem with installing timers on the computer.

They be an entity like Backspace.  This will not be a we thing.  I can guarantee that the con cannot and will not purchase machines for us to host our own.  That is just not cost effective for a con that would only get use out of them a few days a year.  As for donations... I would be impressed if someone could find a group that would donate 8+ full machines capable of playing current games. 

If "they" happen to be a private party (individual lending us computers, company loaning us hardware, etc), it wouldn't be at all unreasonable to suggest the idea. 

Please define what you mean by private party. 

If "they" happen to be an organization that uses the hardware at other events, it would still be an offer to leave up in the air.  Offering free custom software that they could use isn't at all inappropriate.

Places like backspace charge by time on a machine used.  Why would they want software that would restrict that?  This is going to be the same with any company.  Having such software could only hurt there profits.  Backspace if we are to get them again will have there own paid staff and run that area.  If you want to limit time, you just need to tell them and they will enforce it.  I have run gaming before and I helped setup these contacts.  That is how it works.  Trust me on this.  It is not that it is a bad idea.  Just not one that is needed. 

Offline LiLd3vil4u

• Cabbit
« Reply #35 on: November 14, 2008, 04:01:39 am »
The "they" you speak of will most likely be Backspace, or Borderlands games as far as the LAN is concerned. I am currently negotiating with both companies and will verify later which was chosen.

The "they" at this point doesn't much matter which we go with. Either way I am confident that between myself and my staff we can handle getting people on and off the comps effectively with out having to write or find software to do it for us. Maybe in the distant future if Kumori-con gets their own LAN comps this will be possible, but in the mean time...I think its best if we utilize good ol' fashion man power. :)
« Last Edit: November 14, 2008, 04:06:44 am by LiLd3vil4u »

Offline MonsterGaming

• Oni
« Reply #36 on: April 14, 2009, 03:15:23 am »
arcade games like Joust and Bubble Bobble

i just bought a tekken 4 arcade and put in my Bubble Bobble 4 game in it which is really hard to beat

Offline Slash5150

• Chibi
    • slash5150.smugmug.com
« Reply #37 on: May 02, 2009, 02:53:43 pm »
I've got ideas that can be run for tournaments.  That and I could probably do some pretty sweet announcing stuff haha.
Hey ya'll I'll be starting school so time on these forums will me limited.  I will still respond to PM's so if you need to get a hold of me, PM me or send me a message on MySpace.

GGPO