Author Topic: New Nintendo DS!! The DSi !!  (Read 18918 times)

Offline KogaRyu

• Catgirl
New Nintendo DS!! The DSi !!
« on: October 03, 2008, 06:50:01 pm »
Yo The internet has been abuzz with nintendos latest anouncement The Nintendo DSi

At first glance it looks very similar to the DS Lite. Although the DSi has been slimmed down to 2.6mm about 12% thinner than DS Lite. As a consequence it no longer has a GBA slot. Aside from that the screen has been increased over the current 3.00inch LCD to make it 3.25 inches. In terms of the dimension thats approximately a 17% increase per screen, speaker volume and sound quality have also been improved.

The DSi features two cameras at .3 megapixels (640x480). You will be able to take pictures, store them, edit and play with them using special effects and the DS stylus. The DSi also sports an audio player "DSi Sound" wich allows you to play with sounds. This enables you to record sounds, play them back, mess around with the pitch and speed all using the touch screen. you will need to store sound data on an SD card using the AAC format. As for the DSi camera, you can store pictures on an SD memory card and later view them on Wii by using its Wii Photo Channel. Last but not least it features a built in browser and flash drive so you can save games permanently on the DSi.

The Nintendo DSi launches November 1st in japan and will hit North America in late 2009. This is to keep sales of the DS Lite up during this holiday season.

« Last Edit: October 03, 2008, 09:59:08 pm by KogaRyu »
Team Koga

Offline DancingTofu

• Bunnygirl
Re: New Nintendo DS!! The DSi !!
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2008, 12:49:26 am »
Late 2009?  I'll just import one if I get the money.  Handhelds are rarely region-encoded and I wouldn't want to pay new prices for a year-old console.

Probably gonna be saving my money for a PSP 3000 though.  Better games, better CFW, better backwards compatibility, and it's lighter, more durable, and comes equipped for use with Skype.
moderators gonna moderate </shrug>

Offline Seraph

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2008, 12:52:44 am »
PSP 3k is tougher then the older verison then?

backwards compatiblity?  it isn't the new generation of PSP.  its the same generation

games: isn't this more subjective?  that is PSP has more one of types while DS has more another type?

"Hm, the Moe is strong with this one..."
Kylite-"You and your TV Tropes!"<Refering to This Troper's ruined voc

Offline KogaRyu

• Catgirl
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2008, 01:26:40 am »
hmmm ive been looking into getting a white psp soo i can play Dj Max and abuncha other games. Should i wait for the new one?

As for the late 2009 thing that is really lame. The last DS wasn't region encoded soo i really doubt the new one would be, i'll prolly end up importing one aswell.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2008, 01:35:45 am by KogaRyu »
Team Koga

Offline kurosakiichigo666

• Chibi
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2008, 11:03:02 am »
I don't understand how importing will be cheaper than buying one here. Sure you'll get it faster but think about it, everything is more expensive in Japan, plus shipping costs....I mean, I don't know much about importing but I see no advantage to doing it other than getting it faster. And honestly, the DSi doesn't sound appealing to me. No GBA slot instantly makes me not want it, I like playing GBA games on my DS. Also the new features just seem kinda lame and unnecessary to me. I doubt I'd ever use any of them. As for the bigger screens, meh, big deal. The DS Lite screens are just fine for me.
Co-Founder and VP of Parasol Corp. Cosplay. And you just lost the game...

Offline TomtheFanboy

• Bunnygirl
    • Twitter
    • Kumoricon Archives
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2008, 06:47:54 am »
The pink one will be DSi Miami.
The white one with a black stylus will be DSi NY

The black and red will be original DSi in Las Vegas.

I think PSP 3K is on HBO.
Tom the Fanboy
Passion over Pedantry!
Pocky Club President 2005-2010

Offline KogaRyu

• Catgirl
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2008, 06:29:08 pm »

LMAO omg that is genius!!! and dont normaly throw that word out.
Team Koga

Offline Hazuza

• Bunnygirl
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2008, 09:10:02 pm »
My friend told me about this today. She said I should wait for it instead of getting a lite, (since my DS is pretty effed up already xD) but... I dunno if I could wait until late '09 =/

It seems cool, but seeing as there are many homebrew apps for flashcards that do the same things- aside from the camera, but that thing looks like crap D8- not really that important to me >.<

... 'Cept I hear it's getting its own games >.o So I guess I'll have to buy it when it eventually comes.

• Chibi
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2008, 11:02:46 pm »
... 'Cept I hear it's getting its own games >.o So I guess I'll have to buy it when it eventually comes.
Seriously? That's stupid. They're probably all Disney games anyways, or more of those Horsez or whatever games. The DS has crap for games. Not a very good selection at all. Actually, that can be said about Nintendo in general now, I've been really disappointed with Nintendo. Their internet/online play sucks, their wireless sucks, and their game selection sucks. It makes me sad, I've been a huge Nintendo fan since I was a little kid....

Offline Seraph

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2008, 11:43:36 pm »
DS has more games I want to play then the PSP, and Wii does have games I want to play as well.  I guess its a differences of taste.

• Chibi
« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2008, 12:27:42 am »
True, I'm into RPG's, FPS's, and action adventure games like Zelda. Nintendo has too many kid games and other random stuff.

Offline Seraph

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2008, 12:38:50 am »
FPS wise, Wii doesn't have that many. Cod: World at War and Conduit are the mains FPS people are eyeing for FPS on the Wii

I'm not sure about action adventure

as for RPGs, I think the Wii & DS has a lot of RPGs going for them.  As long as you're willing to try out new franschies at least.  some major ones are the two FF: Crystal Chronicles games.  Fragile is a new game from makers of Baten Kaitos and Eternal Sonata.  Namco is releasing Tales of Symphonia: Dawn of the New World and have another called Sword of Legendia in the works.

Looking at the list of upcoming games at rpgamer.com, the DS has more rpg games the 3 next gen consoles combined(!) as well.  Dragon Quest remakes and Dragon Quest 9 are likely the biggest titles going for the DS. 

• Chibi
« Reply #12 on: October 08, 2008, 03:03:21 am »
I hate Chrystal Chronicles and Dragon Quest. I can't say COD was that amazing but it was OK, as for the Tales Of game, that's awesome and I'll probably get it. The rest I guess I'll have to do some research on...

Offline Seraph

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #13 on: October 08, 2008, 06:46:26 am »
if you liked odin sphere on the PS2, they're making another game similar in style on the Wii as well.

not sure if this was what you didn't like about them, but the new Crystal Chronicles will have better single player and one of them(Echoes of Fate) is cross platform(DS -Wii).   Dragon Quest 9 is bit odd in thats its an action RPG from what I seen.

if you like really good graphics, the new COD and Conduit may interest you in that regard.  IGN had confused COD for 360 visuals.  though controls wise, COD isn't quite up to MOHH2 which Conduits look to surpass.  Conduit is said to be able to use the Motion Plus attachment as well(what it will do for the game is unknown though).

I'm guesing Sword of Legendia is a direct sequal to Tales of Legendia, but there hasn't been any info on what it is exactly.

As for the DSi, its doesn't seem to have enough to be worth getting imo.  some people may like it, but I rather stick with current DS lite.

Offline KogaRyu

• Catgirl
« Reply #14 on: October 08, 2008, 05:17:05 pm »

The Dsi is not getting its own games the card slot is the exact same. The only thing i can think of in that regard is that there is the big possiblity of newer games taking advantage of the DSi camera and Dsi sound. The DS Lite is in no way dead and they will continue to keep making games for the DS in general.

Seriously? That's stupid. They're probably all Disney games anyways, or more of those Horsez or whatever games. The DS has crap for games. Not a very good selection at all. Actually, that can be said about Nintendo in general now, I've been really disappointed with Nintendo. Their internet/online play sucks, their wireless sucks, and their game selection sucks. It makes me sad, I've been a huge Nintendo fan since I was a little kid....

Yeah i too am real sad Nintendo seems to have switched its focus to "casual Gamers", thats why i sold my Wii and dont really plan on getting another one. Just not enough in depth games to play, titles like Zelda twilight princess, Metroid, Okami and Smash Bro's are the only ones that really come to mind. Aside from that a decent amount of their deeper games are just ports from another system. Kinda sad but then again i started to lean away from nintendo when i got tired of my Game Cube.
Team Koga

Offline Seraph

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #15 on: October 08, 2008, 05:38:35 pm »
Nintendo itself has always focused on games that target a broad audience. 

• Chibi
« Reply #16 on: October 08, 2008, 06:07:29 pm »
Yeah, I totally agree. The Gamecube was the last good thing IMO. The Wii was great and all for a bit, but the best games for Wii were also for other consoles so I really didn't care much for it overall. The exceptions are Resident Evil: Umbrella Chronicles, and the Bleach fighting game (which gets boring since all the characters play the same way).  As for Twilight Princess, I honestly liked it more for GC. I like the whole motion traking thing for Wii but having to shake my arm whenever I wanted to attack got a little old. It would have been different if Link had slashed his sword in the exact same direction you slashed the Wiimote, but eh. Also you can't chain spin attacks in the Wii version by rotating the stick slashing the sword, which I loved doing in the GC version and was the main reason I got through the 100 level dingeon. But I digress, I think if Nintendo improved their internet and online play and their wireless then the overall quality of the consoles will greatly improve.

Offline Seraph

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #17 on: October 08, 2008, 07:47:52 pm »
as it is, I think waggling is still a hit and miss for some people.  I actually like it.  I read one review where it sounded like the guy rather button mash then waggle.

nintendo will have a Motion Plus attachment that will read your movements more accururely(I've heard 1:1 motion ratio), but it remains to been seen if if developers will be able to learn how to implement it

Overall, I suspect the main problem Nintendo has, is they still think its the 80's after the video game crash.  policy on censorship, third party developers, marketing, was very valid and maybe even vital during that time, but its counter productive in today's time.

Offline JeffT

• Administrator
    • Facebook
    • Google+
« Reply #18 on: October 08, 2008, 10:48:42 pm »
Also, the Wii Twilight Princess has its entire game world a complete mirror image of the original Gamecube version which could be said to be the "true" design of the game. They did this because Link was designed left-handed originally, as his character always has been, but they decided that most players being right-handed, the discontinuity between Link using the opposite hand of the player would be too great.

Therefore, perhaps the Gamecube version would be the preferred one to play?

(Explanation: Here)

This is not the first time technical reasons have changed Link's handedness. In the SNES game, A Link to the Past, Link holds his sword with his left hand, except when he is facing east. The reason, of course, is because they were lazy and flipped the east/west sprites instead of drawing two versions (like they did, of course, for north/south). It affects the gameplay as well, since the sword is held off-center. (This affecting the gameplay must also be true in Twilight Princess, which is why they could not simply only make Link right-handed without changing anything else when the game was already finished.)

The Nintendo Player's Guide made up an elaborate humorous explanation for the reason for this:

Link will swing his Sword with his left hand except when he's facing to the east. No one is exactly sure why Link employs this right-handed technique when he faces east. Some say it is a boyish superstition that makes Link hold his Shield toward Death Mountain when battling a foe to the east or west. Link is sure that the evil power is originating from Death Mountain.
2023: Website Development Coordinator
2020-2022: Assistant Secretary, Website Development Coordinator
2011 - 2013, 2016-2019: Secretary
2007 - 2019: Website Manager
2015: Assistant Secretary
2014: Chair
2007 - 2009: Director of Publicity
2006: Copy Editor

• Chibi
« Reply #19 on: October 09, 2008, 01:00:39 am »
LMAO! Oh my god that is funny. That does make sense though about why they mirrored the Wii version. That was also something I didn't like about the Wii version. It was really weird playing he Wii version after I beat the GC one, I kept getting lost and going the wrong way. Also, the layout of Hyrule in the GC version is really close to the layout of Hyrule in Ocarina of Time, which makes me like it even more.

Offline DancingTofu

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #20 on: October 14, 2008, 11:24:56 pm »

You see this face?  There's a palm on it.

oslapedo

« Reply #21 on: October 16, 2008, 05:34:38 pm »
I still have my blue phat DS from many years ago :D I think I'll get one of these instead of a DSlite. I still have my old GBA SP anyways because my DS doesn't play GBC games.

Offline Blue Leader

• Chibi
    • Blue Banshees Productions
« Reply #22 on: October 30, 2008, 08:52:24 am »
Hm, the DSi sounds kind of interesting I must admit, but the audition of a camera and the screen being extended slightly isn't enough to make me run out and pay $150 on the day it launches. I'll wait a year or two for the prices to drop if I do decide to get one. And not being able to play Gameboy games on it like the Lite and regular DS can is another factor where the DSi is really making me just shrug my shoulders at it.

I'm happy with my DS Lite and my old, chunky first-wave PSP... :)

This Year's Cosplay:
Jedi Knight, Heat Guy J(?)

Offline superjaz

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #23 on: October 31, 2008, 09:59:49 am »
for the wii i am all about the old school games like mario rpg earth bound and secret of mana
superjaz, that is jaz with one z count'um ONE z!
Proud mom of 2 awesome kids

Offline iluvshijimi

• Bunnygirl
    • My deviantART
« Reply #24 on: July 05, 2009, 11:15:07 am »
(Revived a really old thread but my question DOES apply...I think xD)

Does anybody here have one of these? I'm always interested in buying the newest video game hardware out there, but the DSi's add-ons like the camera and downloadable games aren't very appealing to me >.< I have the very FIRST version of the DS and I'm quite happy with it, though I would like to get a DS Lite for its improved brightness and design should this one ever kick the bucket, haha.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2009, 11:15:39 am by iluvshijimi »

• Chibi
« Reply #25 on: July 05, 2009, 12:40:13 pm »
I hear you can trade your old DS into Gamestop and get a sizable discount off a DSi. Other than that I don't see any point in upgrading. If you're happy with what you have then keep with that. If it does die eventually though, it might be worth it to get a DSi if you want the most current thing. It is only $30 or so more than a Lite.

Offline iluvshijimi

• Bunnygirl
    • My deviantART
« Reply #26 on: July 05, 2009, 01:05:20 pm »
Yeah, I wanted to check out GameStop's DS to DSi trade-in program, but I'd only get $50 dollars for it and I don't think I really need all the DSi's bells and whistles >.<

• Chibi
« Reply #27 on: July 05, 2009, 10:26:45 pm »
Yeah. It's like if I made a movie and there was a regular DVD version for $20 and there was the "Special Edition" that had a second disc with commentaries and more previews and charged $30 for it. Nobody cares about that stuff, but there will be people who buy it just so they have everything.

Offline Slash5150

• Chibi
    • slash5150.smugmug.com
« Reply #28 on: July 07, 2009, 12:24:22 am »
The DSi was the biggest facepalm in my book. 

IMO first off, probably 90 percent of people have camera phones and the 10 percent that don't, don't have them for a reason. 

Personally, Nintendo managed to completely turn the DS Guitar Hero craze obsolete since there is no GBA port and theres also NO GBA port!

Nintendo also promoted piracy with the addition of the SD slot.
Hey ya'll I'll be starting school so time on these forums will me limited.  I will still respond to PM's so if you need to get a hold of me, PM me or send me a message on MySpace.

GGPO

• Chibi
« Reply #29 on: July 07, 2009, 01:35:08 am »
...since there is no GBA port and theres also NO GBA port!...
Was that intentional or was it a mess up? I was very confused by this lol. But I know what you mean. And I don't think there ever really was a DS Guitar Hero craze, I bought the first one when it came out and was disappointed. It just wasn't really that fun. Maybe they realized that and took the GBA slot out.

Nintendo also promoted piracy with the addition of the SD slot.
I never thought of that.....

Offline JeffT

• Administrator
    • Facebook
    • Google+
« Reply #30 on: July 07, 2009, 02:46:44 am »
Personally, Nintendo managed to completely turn the DS Guitar Hero craze obsolete since there is no GBA port and theres also NO GBA port!

Hey, it's not as silly as the remake of the PSP removing the PSP game slot!

Boggles the mind...

(I know, I know... Nobody bought a PSP to play PSP games, and it's rumored they will allow people to convert PSP discs to online form, and the world is very rapidly moving to all-online distribution for all types of media, so it makes sense--it's just surprising.)

Offline EveofAbyss

• Bunnygirl
    • Facebook
« Reply #31 on: July 07, 2009, 08:49:57 am »
Yes, Jeff, I totally agree with you on the movement of the PSP. It baffles me that one would buy a PSP for strictly downloading content. I guess I'm in the minority, but I like UMD's, DVD's, CD's, cartridges, discs - all of it. I like having a physical product. Yeah, the world is moving in the online direction, but these decisions aren't helping slow the process. I kind of wish they would lol.

Needless to say, I won't be getting a PSP: Go, lol

Buy my book of poems!
Lord Otaku commands you!

Offline DancingTofu

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #32 on: July 08, 2009, 12:14:41 am »
Handhelds are kind of going to hell in a handbasket, it seems.  I bootleg most of the games I own now just because the freeware emulators give more functionality than the original system's successor.  If the GBA SP had a built-in ad-hoc wireless chip, I would consider it the best handheld system to date.  Since it doesn't, I consider that position to be held by the PSP-2000, followed by the DS Lite, then the GBA SP.

Offline JeffT

• Administrator
    • Facebook
    • Google+
« Reply #33 on: July 08, 2009, 12:31:18 am »
Yeah, that's the other side of the game slot elimination thing. Who wants to carry around a case full of portable games? Seriously? Put them all in the system's storage.

Another example of how you know a company is falling behind the times when it is more convenient for even users who want to pay for the real thing, to use pirated copies.

Offline DancingTofu

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #34 on: July 08, 2009, 02:51:25 am »
iTunes has that same problem.  Their mpeg-4 audio files won't play on my PSP, so after paying $30 for a bunch of music from iTunes, I then had to go and torrent the same music in order to actually listen to it.  Pretty ridiculous. :/

I love owning media in a tangible format, but at the same time such tangible formats are fairly impractical when you can access them far more easily from a hard drive.  For instance, every time I get a new CD, I convert the whole thing to MP3 and put it in my iTunes, then I put the CD back in the case and only ever use it again if I'm going on a road trip.  I'll do the same with all my cassette tapes once I get around to fixing my audio card.

Anyway, more on subject, the notion of storing games to flash memory is a step in the right direction.  Having a little 40GB internal solid state hard drive?  Pretty stupid.  With the DS, Nintendo puts their games on small solid state ROM cards manufactured to a very specific make that only works with the DS.  They're cheap to make, they load quickly, and they're a hell of a lot more portable than a ROM disc of any kind.  If Sony had simply decided to sell their games in the form of an alternative iteration of their own line of solid state drives (Memory Stick Pro) for the PSP GO, similarly to how the DS produces theirs, I would actually consider buying one.

Offline JeffT

• Administrator
    • Facebook
    • Google+
« Reply #35 on: July 08, 2009, 03:15:48 am »
I think I lean your direction... I want to obtain the tangible media, as proof of ownership, transferability, the ability to obtain copies when it is no longer being sold, lack of DRM, not being limited to a proprietary format, and because in many media types still, digital copies are inferior in quality and stripped down compared to the original versions--but then, to attempt to digitize that copy and use that copy for day-to-day use.