Author Topic: Dragon Ball........going the way of Speed Racer  (Read 33987 times)

Offline EveofAbyss

• Bunnygirl
    • Facebook
Dragon Ball........going the way of Speed Racer
« on: September 30, 2008, 08:50:44 am »
Yeah, look at these pictures, and try to tell me they aren't slaughtering Dragon Ball. Just like they "modernized" Speed Racer, made it "realistic" while doing away with all of it's funny eccentricities and anime-bonds, they are doing it with Dragon Ball too, but even worse. Goku was a kid, Master Roshi was old and bald, Bulma had blue hair, Piccolo was green.......I just don't see how they can actually think taking this kind of artistic license is acceptable.

Obviously, I'm disgusted with how this movie is looking.

Buy my book of poems!
Lord Otaku commands you!

Offline Kahlan4

• Catgirl
    • myspace
Re: Dragon Ball........going the way of Speed Racer
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2008, 09:01:27 am »
*heavy sigh* i had been really excited for this movie, but now, not so much... i feel the same as you, it's like they took less than half of what dragonball was and then improvised the rest without paying attention to the original. no one looks like they should... i mean, what about the iconic dragonball hair? and why isn't goku a kid? and why isn't master roshi old and bald? and... ugh... also, it's funny that the entire cast is asian except for the guy playing goku... it just looks funny. you're right, it's just like they did with speed racer >.<

all i have to say is "why?!?"

let's all meet at icicle inn!

Offline nikkiolie

• It's over nine THOUSAND!!!!!
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2008, 09:38:20 am »
well on the plus side Goku is hot XD

I would still watch it even though it is moving away from the original idea....it might still be a good movie....and speed races (I haven't seen it just parts) was very entrancing due to all the colors XD

and Bulma has blue in her hair >_>

I am just a very optimistic person....plus there are very few movies that I think are bad....in fact two 10,000 BC and .......oh right An American Haunting. All other movies I enjoyed, I don't care if the plot sucks as long as it's entertaining to watch....if it gave me a smile and I don't feel like it wasted my time.

I didn't like 10,000 BC because I was taking a history class about that time period at the same time and everything was WAY WAY WAY off. I mean they went from jungle to mountain to dessert (more specifically Egypt). Really?

Offline superjaz

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2008, 09:43:42 am »
yeah...um wow..

sigh  :'(
superjaz, that is jaz with one z count'um ONE z!
Proud mom of 2 awesome kids

Offline Kahlan4

• Catgirl
    • myspace
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2008, 11:32:58 am »
well on the plus side Goku is hot XD

I would still watch it even though it is moving away from the original idea....it might still be a good movie....and speed races (I haven't seen it just parts) was very entrancing due to all the colors XD

and Bulma has blue in her hair >_>

I am just a very optimistic person....plus there are very few movies that I think are bad....in fact two 10,000 BC and .......oh right An American Haunting. All other movies I enjoyed, I don't care if the plot sucks as long as it's entertaining to watch....if it gave me a smile and I don't feel like it wasted my time.

I didn't like 10,000 BC because I was taking a history class about that time period at the same time and everything was WAY WAY WAY off. I mean they went from jungle to mountain to dessert (more specifically Egypt). Really?

that's good you're so optimistic ^.^ wish i could be that way... lol

and what you said about 10,000 bc- my sentiments exactly. rodney and i were like "wait, we've seen apocalypto, and we've seen pathfinder. why are we watching them together in another movie...?" and the transition of settings/locations seemed very improbable, and impossible... all together, one of the worst movie purchases i've made. aside from devilman... but at least that brought out some laughs... that was a bad movie-buying day.

yeah...um wow..

sigh  :'(

ditto.

Offline nikkiolie

• Facebook
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2008, 11:55:59 am »
you never know, maybe the movie will be so bad that it is funny (the way it is with a lot of movies now days v.v)

Offline Sayda

• Bunnygirl
    • Deviant Art.
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2008, 12:01:10 pm »
Despite it not looking as promising as we'd hoped, I still think it looks pretty good. Aside from the characters being off, we don't know if the plot's off yet. The plot could still be the same, and if that's the case, then it still has the potential to be a good movie.

But if both are off, then.. well. I'm going to join Nichole and be optimistic about the movie, cause DB and DBZ are one of my all time favorites!
AX :
- Seras Victoria (Hellsing)
- Axel (Kingdom Hearts II)
- Debut Cosplay

Offline nikkiolie

• Facebook
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2008, 12:09:41 pm »
Yeah that is true....there is nothing mentioned on that link about plot (or at least what I have seen) and hey Dark Knight isn't like all the other Batman movies (which have been very comic book like, with sound and lines and what not) and it was fantastic....though it was still similar to the original (in that the characters looked the same). Not the best thing to compare it to but you get my point ^_^

Offline D-Chan

• Sailor Scout
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2008, 01:18:58 pm »
i heard they aren't making king Piccolo green.....instead they're making him as ugly as...http://www.cineactual.net/poster/fotogramasdragon.html
1st con-Kumori-Con 2007
Naruto in chess for 2007 and 2008

2010 - Yumi, Naruto, and Kid Goku
2011 - Hopefully Mr. 6 will make and appearance, and Lupin III.

Offline Sayda

• Bunnygirl
    • Deviant Art.
« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2008, 01:30:06 pm »
Yeah that's kind of a downer. I don't understand why they aren't keeping to the original with that one.
But then again, it could be a view of when he was a villian, since he is one in the earlier episodes. Maybe after he becomes good, he turns green. I dunno the possibilities of that, though.
AX :
- Debut Cosplay

Offline Seraph

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2008, 03:33:48 pm »
Piccolo is the villain for the movie.  the actor(James Marsters) and the make up artist decided to on that look since the Piccolo in the movie has been imprisoned for 1k years.  seems Piccolo just needs to get a little sun.

as for hair style and color, I dun really care much about it.  I have a hard time seeing goku's hair style without it looking super silly.  as for color, its rarely kept the same in the changes of medium in manga > anime or even when JPN do a live drama of a manga series.

oh for what its worth, there is anime style fights, with chi blast and aura.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2008, 03:34:17 pm by Seraph »
"Hm, the Moe is strong with this one..."
Kylite-"You and your TV Tropes!"<Refering to This Troper's ruined voc

Offline KogaRyu

• Catgirl
« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2008, 04:24:07 pm »
lol you guys are gonna luv this...
so far from what ive heard the plot is like this : Goku is a high school student and isn't very popular and one summer he goes off into the mountains to go train with master Roshi. As soon as i get the source i'll let you guys know and put up a link.
Team Koga

oslapedo

« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2008, 04:30:53 pm »
Maybe if we all ignore it it'll go away!

*mutters to self* DB live-action movie does not exist...

Offline tofutakeout

• Bunnygirl
    • Deviantart
« Reply #13 on: September 30, 2008, 04:43:02 pm »
aaaaaaw. disappointment. I was hoping this movie wouldn't bomb but its looking like it. I had already heard some others things of it like who's playing in it. and I thought 'they wouldn't do that character justice.' I hope they don't kill any of the other live action anime movies that are going to come out.
da/tumblr
Pull the trigger, pull the trigger, pull the trigger. BOOM

oslapedo

« Reply #14 on: September 30, 2008, 04:44:05 pm »
Wow I just noticed something, doesn't "DB" kinda look like a sad face? Even the acronym for Dragon ball is depressed by this movie!

Offline Kahlan4

• Catgirl
    • myspace
« Reply #15 on: September 30, 2008, 05:52:35 pm »
i heard they aren't making king Piccolo green.....instead they're making him as ugly as...http://www.cineactual.net/poster/fotogramasdragon.html

oh that is the most terrible and disappointing thing i have ever seen >.< he doesn't even have the little antenna things... nor does he look much like piccolo at all... arhoeurahglkasdjfl!

lol you guys are gonna luv this...
so far from what ive heard the plot is like this : Goku is a high school student and isn't very popular and one summer he goes off into the mountains to go train with master Roshi. As soon as i get the source i'll let you guys know and put up a link.

whaaaaaaaaaaa.... that sounds like a crappy plot... for any movie... *shakes fist* damn you movie makers! why must you kill the awesomeness that could have been this movie...

dbz has always been one of my favorites, and i want to be excited for the movie, i just can't be because it seems to stray so far from the anime. it could have been great, but somehow, it just keeps disappointing me, and i haven't even seen it yet >.< anyway... perhaps i shall see it anyway, just to find out how bad it might be...

Offline dakiro

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #16 on: October 01, 2008, 08:54:42 pm »
I hope they don't kill any of the other live action anime movies that are going to come out.

....some how i doubt that....
formally dakrum
THE anime list

oslapedo

« Reply #17 on: October 01, 2008, 09:32:52 pm »
Well... Steven Spielburg, the killer of Speed racer is doing a live-action Ghost in the Shell movie.

*facepalm*

Offline dakiro

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #18 on: October 03, 2008, 01:58:45 am »
*facepalm seconded*
formally dakrum
THE anime list

Offline Seraph

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #19 on: October 03, 2008, 02:05:52 am »
or it could be in a long development.  I think eva movie been going on for a long while

Offline superjaz

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #20 on: October 03, 2008, 07:45:53 am »
when i pictured james marsters as picllo I imagined spike with elf ears attached and green grease face make up wearing a turban and little atenee, and that made me worrie about the movie, but after seeing the picture......wow uh the grease face make-up would have been better

Offline nikkiolie

• Facebook
« Reply #21 on: October 03, 2008, 10:10:51 am »
I <3 Spike ^_^

I still think it would be entertaining to watch. I'm sure I'll get laughs out of it if they were intended or not >_>

Offline Higuma

• Catgirl
    • My anime list
« Reply #22 on: October 03, 2008, 03:16:38 pm »
Well Speed Racer was better than I thought it would be. Im not saying it was great but ok. I swore it would be the worst piece of crap ever made but it was not. So I will reserve judgement until I see the movie.

Offline nikkiolie

• Facebook
« Reply #23 on: October 03, 2008, 04:28:50 pm »
Yeah I though Speed Racer would be bad but I have seen some of it and it is entrancing. There are times when I stopped in the middle of a sentence to watch it. XD

Offline KogaRyu

• Catgirl
« Reply #24 on: October 03, 2008, 10:15:27 pm »
Yeah I though Speed Racer would be bad but I have seen some of it and it is entrancing. There are times when I stopped in the middle of a sentence to watch it. XD

Yea i dont see what the problem is i really liked the Speed Movie it was much better then i expected and in Blu-Ray it looks Freakin Amazing!!

As for the upcoming DBZ movie im pretty sure its gonna be Terrible. There is a leaked trailer out, its got no sound and you can easily tell its bootleg but its still a trailer.
here is the link
http://www.traileraddict.com/trailer/dragonball/bootleg-teaser-trailer
Team Koga

Offline superjaz

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #25 on: October 03, 2008, 10:17:14 pm »
I just showed it to my honey, and he was like this
chris :no attenas...and not green enough...not nearly green enough

Offline KogaRyu

• Catgirl
« Reply #26 on: October 03, 2008, 10:28:23 pm »
Supposedly at some point in the movie he turns green but even then its like What!? why wasn't he green in the first place...
Team Koga

Offline D-Chan

• Sailor Scout
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #27 on: October 04, 2008, 12:04:35 am »

Yea i dont see what the problem is i really liked the Speed Movie it was much better then i expected and in Blu-Ray it looks Freakin Amazing!!

As for the upcoming DBZ movie im pretty sure its gonna be Terrible. There is a leaked trailer out, its got no sound and you can easily tell its bootleg but its still a trailer.
here is the link
http://www.traileraddict.com/trailer/dragonball/bootleg-teaser-trailer

HA!  the trailer lies!  the first live action dragonball movie was made in china! http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dragon_Ball:_The_Magic_Begins

and might i say it's really fun to make fun of ^w^
1st con-Kumori-Con 2007

Offline Seraph

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #28 on: October 04, 2008, 12:26:01 am »
@Koga
cause he been imprisoned for over 1k years.  You would turn deathly pale if you didn't see then sun for a thousand years.

thats what I think anyway.

Offline EveofAbyss

• Bunnygirl
    • Facebook
« Reply #29 on: October 04, 2008, 12:38:51 am »
^ He's not pale, though, He's yellow. He looks like frikkin' Kahn and Data combined or something.

Buy my book of poems!
Lord Otaku commands you!

Offline Seraph

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #30 on: October 04, 2008, 01:27:11 am »
maybe green people turn yellow when they go pale.  I dunno, he isn't a human.  I'm not going to bash it when I still barely know how movie is going be like.

Offline Sayda

• Bunnygirl
    • Deviant Art.
« Reply #31 on: October 04, 2008, 01:35:41 am »
Same here. I like DragonBall, and regardless of what the movie's starting to look like, I really can't pass any judgement on it until I've actually seen it.
AX :
- Debut Cosplay

Offline EveofAbyss

• Bunnygirl
    • Facebook
« Reply #32 on: October 04, 2008, 08:50:43 am »
Ah, well I am not as holy as thou, cause I just can't get past the ridiculous leaps and liberties the movie writers/creators have made and taken.

Nope, I'm human and I'm flawed.

Buy my book of poems!
Lord Otaku commands you!

Offline Seraph

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #33 on: October 04, 2008, 09:20:21 am »
Sorry if I came out with as holier the thou. I did not mean to do that.

This is just my opinion, but everything we've heard so far is mostly general info or is rather minor.  It could still be the greatest thing ever rather then worse thing ever.  the color of piccolo's skin isn't something where I"m going to cry its now a bad movie because it isn't green.  I'm more concern about the story and feel of the DBZ series.

....hold it.
  I just found a teaser trailer that appears to been leaked out.  http://dbthemovie.com/
its a teaser so it really doesn't show much.  but I see 2 clips of chi/aura, otherwise mostly hong kong kung fu action.  its also looks rather modern day which I'm not sure what to think.  the anime/manga was futuristish, but strangely very very rural.

Offline nikkiolie

• Facebook
« Reply #34 on: October 04, 2008, 11:14:01 am »
wow I just read something in my psych book that describes this whole conversation...

"...two basic tendencies that seem to occur in wide range of situations and often produce important errors in our social thought: Our tendency to devote special attention to negative information and our counterbalancing tendency to be optimistic- often overly optimistic- in a wide range of situations."

I read that and laughed a little inside.

But the trailer doesn't look too bad. I rarely think movies are bad though ;D

Offline Seraph

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #35 on: October 04, 2008, 11:18:27 am »
@nikki
really?  that would explain a lot.   I'm always overly optimistic.  really interesting to hear though.

well trailers can make really bad stuff look good so its not a sure sign.  overall, I like think its a encouraging sign.

Offline Sayda

• Bunnygirl
    • Deviant Art.
« Reply #36 on: October 04, 2008, 12:34:45 pm »
You and your Psphycology Nichole. X3 Of course, Seraph and I are no where near optomistic. >.>

The trailer looked cool to me! It definitely wasn't the same era of DB, but I did see an interesting bike that looked like it was from the series! Although, just because it looked cool doesn't mean it /will/ be cool.
AX :
- Debut Cosplay

Offline TomtheFanboy

• Bunnygirl
    • Twitter
    • Kumoricon Archives
« Reply #37 on: October 05, 2008, 11:55:03 pm »
I'll still go see the movie.

After seeing the trailer though I am not optimistic.
Tom the Fanboy
Passion over Pedantry!
Pocky Club President 2005-2010

Offline kurosakiichigo666

• Chibi
« Reply #38 on: October 06, 2008, 11:13:06 am »
I really had no intention of seeing the movie in the first place since I knew it was gonna be like this. I usually don't listen to peoples' opinions on movies but I can make exceptions. Like Speed Racer, all of my friends said they walked out 30 minutes in. Not that I wanted to see THAT either.
Co-Founder and VP of Parasol Corp. Cosplay. And you just lost the game...

• Chibi
« Reply #39 on: October 06, 2008, 10:51:39 pm »
Sorry for the double post but, is this confirmed? I've seen http://img214.imageshack.us/img214/1130/dragoballzpicollocopybm8.jpg too but I don't know which one is real.....

Offline EveofAbyss

• Bunnygirl
    • Facebook
« Reply #40 on: October 06, 2008, 10:55:51 pm »
No, the pale/yellow version is the real one.

Buy my book of poems!
Lord Otaku commands you!

• Chibi
« Reply #41 on: October 06, 2008, 10:58:32 pm »
WEEEEEAAAAAK! That sucks, the other one actually looked really good lol.

Offline D-Chan

• Sailor Scout
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #42 on: October 16, 2008, 05:03:47 pm »
thems the breaks
1st con-Kumori-Con 2007

oslapedo

« Reply #43 on: October 16, 2008, 05:32:40 pm »
The more I think about this move the more I want to facepalm. I guess I'll just have to wait to judge it until I see it though...

• Chibi
« Reply #44 on: October 17, 2008, 01:50:39 am »
Yeah same here. I didn't intend on watching it but I probably will. I won't be paying for it though, that's for sure.

Offline BigGuy

• Catgirl
« Reply #45 on: October 17, 2008, 08:34:20 am »
where are all the people who complain about DB not being that good? This movie looks kinda like a mash of DB and DBZ with adult versions of the child characters. DB was really chibi  and prolly wouldn't make for a good straight to movie version anyway. DBZ was all fighting and action but got really ridiculous sometimes with the 5 hours of charging/screaming at each other. I personally liked it but had to quit watching DBZ around the buu saga.
 Try not to think of this as a straight DB/DBZ movie, but more as inspired by the shows.
 Anyway no one will really know till the fansubbers put the bootlegs on the net how it turned out

And now I'm a catgirl?

The voice of the one I love
was all I could hear as I lay broken in the darkness
My own voice faltered
My wings no longer had the strength to fly
 -Lagoon Engine Einsatz-

Offline D-Chan

• Sailor Scout
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #46 on: October 17, 2008, 11:59:01 pm »
if it turns out anything like the previous live action Dragonball movie, i will end up enjoying making fun of it.
1st con-Kumori-Con 2007

• Chibi
« Reply #47 on: October 18, 2008, 03:29:21 am »
The previous one? There was another one? When? Can you send me a link or something? How many question marks can i put in this?

Offline DancingTofu

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #48 on: October 19, 2008, 12:44:47 am »
Yeah same here. I didn't intend on watching it but I probably will. I won't be paying for it though, that's for sure.
Gonna steal the reel and hold half the theatre staff hostage again?
moderators gonna moderate </shrug>

• Chibi
« Reply #49 on: October 19, 2008, 01:36:18 am »
Man, you can't be going around tellin' people that was me. I'm a wanted man after all.