Author Topic: 'Old School' as a 5th AMV Contest Category?  (Read 3911 times)

Anonymous

'Old School' as a 5th AMV Contest Category?
« on: January 06, 2005, 08:21:38 am »
Greetings:

We still have several weeks before the rules & categories of the AMV Contest go FINAL, and there's been some good discussion in another thread about creating an additional category caled 'Old School.'

Who's interested, and WHAT do you think 'Old School' should be?

If there is a date cutoff to define 'Old School,' should it be keyed to the day the first show ever aired, or the last show aired?

(I have been using www.animenfo.com as a reference for air dates.)

Or should it be defined that the footage itself has to have released no later than Date X?
Take Gundam, for example, which kicked off in 1979 ('Mobile Suit Gundam') -BUT- we have 'Gundam Seed' and 'SD Gundam Force' which both released in 2004. How should 'Old School' as a category definition handle this?

Note that there is no other defining restriction on this category - any music can be used, and it can be any 'style' of AMV - comedy, action, fight video, romance/relationship, etc.

Next question: In the interest of bypassing some RECENTLY overused, ("Seen it, ho-hum") faces on the screen, I have compiled a list of the "Top 15 Most Used Anime" collected from the site www.animemusicvideos.org. I am ranking them here by YEAR:

Naruto 4.44% [2002]
Hellsing 1.64% [2001]
Inu Yasha 4.95% [2000]
Love Hina 1.66% [2000]
FLCL 1.52% [2000]
Cowboy Bebop 3.47% [1998]
Trigun 3.27% [1998]
Card Captor Sakura 1.44% [1998]
Kenshin (all) 5.33% [1996]
Evangelion 5.65% [1995]
Gundam Wing 1.34% [1995]
Sailor Moon (all) 4.75% [1992]
Yu Yu Hakusho 1.74% [1992]
Final Fantasy (all) 5.02% [1991]
DBZ (all) 13.47% [1986]

So - should 'Old School' also dodge these rather overused series as well, to make room for some of the lesser known series from 'back in the day?'

Think about it - Trigun and Cowboy Bebop aren't really 'Old School,' Evangelion is (to me) *almost* old enough to be Old School, but NOT QUITE yet, and to me Sailor Moon -IS- 'Old School,' but what say you all?

Another problem for creators will be that the fruther back in time we set the cutoff date, the harder it is to get GOOD QUALITY video material ...

-G

PS: Oldsmobile's last slogan before they boxed was "It's not your Dad's Oldsmobile" (which convinced NOBODY) but might 'Star Blazers' or 'Speed Racer' or even 'Astro Boy' have been our (collective) dads' anime?

PPS: Ooooo - watching anime on VACUUM TUBE television sets ...

Anonymous

Old School Category - No Interest?
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2005, 03:49:28 pm »
OK, it's been an day now and there has been NO FEEDBACK about this category so far.
To me, no replies = no interest, so as the auctioneer says:

"Old School - Going ONCE ..."

- G

Offline Sinaj

• Chibi
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2005, 06:59:07 am »
(sorry, was working 12 hours days ot prep for a conference)

I am for a catagory that would allow folks to make AMVs of classic animes without having to put them into either Comedy or Traditional Japanese.  The only reason I suggested the term "Old School" was because it appeared to be the opposite of the brand-spanking-new requirements for action/dance catagories.  If a better time can be created to label this one, I
'm all for it.  ^.^

Offline Irnogs

• Chibi
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2005, 03:01:48 pm »
Yeah, I like the idea, and I kinda figured that it would allow for those series that were cut out of the other category.

BTW... I don't think many people check these forums EVERY day... I don't even check MY site THAT often.

Anonymous

Instrumental Category
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2005, 12:19:04 pm »
Quote from: "Sinaj"
I am for a catagory that would allow folks to make AMVs of classic animes without having to put them into either Comedy or Traditional Japanese.
Done!

Please check the other thread/announcement about the 'Instrumental' category. A slower drama, romance, or sentimental work would be fine there - but we've still raised the bar a little bit to create a challenge for the creators and a novelty for the audience.

This category is not your typical snoozer; it requires some thought about WHY music itself makes people feel certain emotions, it may require some technical skill in sync-ing cuts and transitions to a musical beat, and the definition still screens out overused, tired concepts like fight videos using DBZ, Naruto, or Kenshin, or anything done to 'Numb,' 'Points of Authority,' or 'Bring Me to Life.'

- G