Author Topic: If you controlled Adult Swim-  (Read 4041 times)

Offline Negima

• Bunnygirl
If you controlled Adult Swim-
« on: September 22, 2008, 11:26:12 pm »
I figured since there was a demand for it in the "If you controlled Toonami-" thread, I thought I should start one about Adult Swim.

So, if Adult Swim was in trouble of possibly vanishing from existance and they asked their viewers what to do to save it, what shows would you suggest and/or cut?

Oh gawd what wouldn't I cut from that block?

I would keep Family Guy but limit it to one showing.
Robot Chicken would also be a keeper.
Harvey Birdman
I would switch Harvey Birdman (after a season run) with maybe Zetsubo Sensei or Minami-ke.  Something that fits the 15-minute block.
Keep Code Geass and Moribito but move them to a better time.
I don't know what else I would add but pretty much all the other shows currently on AS would be gone.

Offline DancingTofu

• Bunnygirl
Re: If you controlled Adult Swim-
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2008, 11:28:41 pm »
Just show nonstop Chocolate Rain for 3 nights in a row.  Viewer ratings would hit around 2 million per show.
moderators gonna moderate </shrug>

Offline EveofAbyss

• Bunnygirl
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2008, 11:46:03 pm »
^ The Tay Zonday song? The Black Rick Astley?

I'd keep Family Guy, keep Robot Chicken, keep Shin-Chan, get rid of everything else. I'd like to see darker anime and weirder shows. I think Adult Swim would be the perfect forum for bringing MTV Oddities back t the public. I think Aeon Flux and The Maxx would be top-notch shows for Adult Swim. I would love to see those brought back, and after their seasons were aired, I'd switch to The Head Saves the World. Oh, and I'd keep Metalocalypse and Tim and Eric Awesome Show Great Job! also.

Buy my book of poems!
Lord Otaku commands you!

Offline TomtheFanboy

• Bunnygirl
    • Twitter
    • Kumoricon Archives
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2008, 06:26:46 am »
I'd bring back Space Ghost Coast to Coast for the midnight slot, followed by Shin-chan and some other Japanese show not fit for Toonami. Metalocalypse, Sealab, ONE episode of Family Guy a night, and ummmm.... Something new that does not involve rotoscoping or green screens.
Tom the Fanboy
Passion over Pedantry!
Pocky Club President 2005-2010

Offline Kahlan4

• Catgirl
    • myspace
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2008, 03:29:37 pm »
like all others, keep family guy, but limit it to one showing.
keep robot chicken
keep metalocalypse, but show it more often than they have been.
keep tim and eric awesome show great job!
bring back the oblongs and mission hill, maybe switch off on those ones.
a different rotation of different anime. i'd love to see fma come back for another run, and actually have them go all the way through in order... lol. another run of deathnote. outlaw star, witch hunter robin, maybe even wolf's rain, and others that i haven't seen yet.
also would love to see space ghost brought back.
if they had the rights to it, it'd be nice to see futurama again.
oh, and it'd be awesome if they could somehow play ren and stimpy ^.^
and, i think they should show ninja nonsense. seems a fitting show for that block, lol
there are lots of other things, but that's the basic jist of things... lol. it'd be nice if they ran enough shows to not repeat the line up each night. seems they only have a few hours of shows and then just re-run it to finish the night up.

let's all meet at icicle inn!

Offline EveofAbyss

• Bunnygirl
    • Facebook
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2008, 04:12:08 pm »
^ Agreed, that is a great point. There is so much great material out there, there should be no reason or need for AS to double up half the program block to fill space.

Buy my book of poems!
Lord Otaku commands you!

Offline tofutakeout

• Bunnygirl
    • Deviantart
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2008, 04:52:37 pm »
I really can't see adult swim being cancelled but I see some issues with it none the less.

I like old school Fridays. I'm not too fond of the music with a black screen and typed words. also I think they need to play more anime and not just on Saturdays. I want to get rid of venture bro's, I don't really like that show. I like all the other shows really. play more recent episodes please.
da/tumblr
Pull the trigger, pull the trigger, pull the trigger. BOOM

Offline Wuntvor

• Catgirl
    • http://wuntvor.home.comcast.net/anime_list.htm
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2008, 08:24:44 pm »
Since it was my suggestion i suppose I should post here.  ;D

I think I am about 100% in the agreement with Negi.  Move Code Geass and Moribito to a better time slot and hack out everything else.  I also agree with the majority about getting rid of the repeat of the line-up.  In fact I mentioned the same thing in the other thread.  I also mentioned the two shows I would like to see, but I will repeat them here for appearances sake.

I would like to see Claymore and Fate/Stay Night.  There are also a lot of the old Adult Swim anime I wouldn't mind seeing re-ran.  Madlax might not be a bad choice as well as Black Lagoon.  If you want a list of comedy shows designed to bring in male audience members I think Zero no Tsukaima, Maburaho, and Zettai Karen Children, as well as the already mentioned Nija Nonsense would make a great line-up.  Ultimate Girls, or Bokusatsu Tenshi Dokuro-chan would be great filler for the 15 minute segments.  They are about as long, and about as crazy as FLCL.

All of the non anime stuff can be moved to Friday Night.  I spend all of that at home watching anime anyway, so I won't miss it.  ;D
« Last Edit: September 26, 2008, 02:05:36 am by Wuntvor »
(\,@/)  Quote from -  Rock & Rule
(=','=)  Stretch: MOK! Don't let him get us!  He'll put a heck on me!
 //_\\   Dizzy:    Hexx, Stretch.  Hexx.
  d b    Stretch: Aw!  Two of them!  That's even worse!

Offline KogaRyu

• Catgirl
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2008, 11:57:49 pm »
I would just luv to cut and destroy Tim & Eric and all the other crap. Limit stuff like family guy to one showing a night. so far i agree with just about everyone on this thread. I'd Get some fresh anime in there, something other then all the mainstream stuff they stick to playing. And at least once a week have an old school night in wich they would play all the old Toonami shows including the Promos and ad's. Bring back shin chan fo sho, why the hell is it only on their website now!! Adult swim would have better quality control it seems like theyl green light anything now adays. Snake & Bacon? srsly WTF..  Adult swim is in need of an overhaul.
Team Koga

Offline Seraph

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2008, 01:03:24 am »
I've heard is that adult swim doesn't care much for the anime shows it broadcasts.  suppose to because most viewers much rather watch shows like family guy and show derision towards the anime shows.  any truth to this?
"Hm, the Moe is strong with this one..."
Kylite-"You and your TV Tropes!"<Refering to This Troper's ruined voc

Offline Blue Leader

• Chibi
    • Blue Banshees Productions
« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2008, 11:32:02 am »
I've heard is that adult swim doesn't care much for the anime shows it broadcasts.  suppose to because most viewers much rather watch shows like family guy and show derision towards the anime shows.  any truth to this?
I have no clue, but I really wouldn't doubt it. It seems like the anime on AS always takes a back-burner when up against those brainless shows they have on there... Squidbillies? Tim and Eric Awesome Show Great Job? And all their other idiotic shows on there... give me a break. I can't stand any of those shows.

I have a hard time believing that more people like Tim and Eric than they do Bleach, Code Geass or Moribito. But hey, what do I know?

Erm... I guess I'm getting off-topic. But yeah, it really wouldn't surprise me that AS favored their "other" shows. When they do their program scheduling, that always seems to be how it is...
« Last Edit: September 26, 2008, 11:33:18 am by Blue Leader »

This Year's Cosplay:
Jedi Knight, Heat Guy J(?)

Offline EveofAbyss

• Bunnygirl
    • Facebook
« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2008, 12:08:44 pm »
You have to think, why wouldn't Adult Swim favor their original programming over anime? Adult Swim started with their own shows (or at least cartoon network specific programs in the majority). Cartoon Planet, Brak Show, Sealab 2021, Home Movies, these are all shows that started with Adult Swim, anime was not even considered at the time of the launch as far as I can recall. So, I don't see how it doesn't make sense for AS to favor their original programming when that is how they started and have always been. Anime should be on the back burner in AS because, honestly, it's not a necessary element for the block of programming. I may be biased because I like most of the "idiotic" shows everyone here is bashing on, but oh well, I think AS has some good shows (granted not all of them are good, but there are some gems in my opinion). I would just fix the schedule repeating and replace some shows with others as I mentioned earlier, but I don't think anyone should be assuming AS should axe their own shows for anime, as if AS was ever a forerunner for playing anime.

Buy my book of poems!
Lord Otaku commands you!

Offline Wuntvor

• Catgirl
« Reply #12 on: September 26, 2008, 01:05:47 pm »
I actually didn't request axing them.  My suggestion was to move them to Friday night and let Saturday night be for anime.  Maybe another option would be to start an adult anime segment and leave adult swim for it's original program audience.  Seems like a good idea.  So if you ran CN and wanted an anime only segment geared for adults:

• What would you call it?
  • What evening would you air it?
  • How many hours would you have it for?

I personally Always liked AniMidnight as a name, but would settle for something else.  AniMayhem?  Has possibilities.
I would like it to remain on Saturday evening, but would settle for Friday night as well
I want as many hours as possible.  say 4 or 5.   ;D

Offline Wuntvor

• Catgirl
« Reply #13 on: November 17, 2008, 07:46:22 pm »
I noticed that last Saturday night --> Sunday mornings line-up looked very anime this time.  YES!!   I saw:
  • Naruto (OK, so this was still Toonami)
  • Bleach
  • Moribito
  • Code Geass S2
  • Shin Chan
  • FLCL
  • Death Note
  • GITS-SAC
  • Cowboy Bebop
  • Big-O
  • Inuyasha
All in one evening! Now that is an improvement!
I just wish I hadn't seen almost all of them already.  ;D
« Last Edit: November 18, 2008, 05:13:19 pm by Wuntvor »

oslapedo

« Reply #14 on: November 17, 2008, 07:53:04 pm »
BUT AT LEAST WE HAVE CODE GEASS AND MORIBITO AT A REASONABLE HOUR!

My joy is endless xD