Author Topic: Parents and anime  (Read 13288 times)

Offline Mr Silmero

• Catgirl
Parents and anime
« on: September 22, 2008, 07:25:19 pm »
I mentioned this in another topic but I will start the discussion here. Was it hard for your parents to accept anime or were they easier about it then most?

For me personally my parents did not mind what I watched but they never really liked it until they saw Princess Mononoke, after that they gained much more respect for anime and oddly enough Miyazaki's works are the only anime they really watch.

Offline Darknight2433

• Bunnygirl
Re: Parents and anime
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2008, 07:36:11 pm »
I can relate completely for my mom. Once she saw Spirited Away, she fell in love with Miyazaki's movies, but that's all she watches. My dad on the other hand likes dubbed anime like Zoids, One Piece, and many others. They accepted it pretty well, so I'm happy with that. <333

Offline Higuma

• Catgirl
    • My anime list
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2008, 07:42:31 pm »
I am a parent and I love anime so my kids have it pretty good.

Offline tofutakeout

• Bunnygirl
    • Deviantart
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2008, 07:44:11 pm »
mothers a little iffy about it even though two of her kids love it. I never try to explain anything to her now because when I do she starts to ignore me. My dad on the other hand, he's all for it. he loves to listen to me explain the characters story. he always wants to know what character I'm going to dress up as next. he thinks the convention is a wonderful thing for me(even when I get angry and frustrated about it >_<
da/tumblr
Pull the trigger, pull the trigger, pull the trigger. BOOM

Offline KinkyFriedChicken

• Bunnygirl
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2008, 07:44:41 pm »
My Mom Didnt Really Care But My Grandparents Are Like.....Old xD So They Didnt Like It :P
~Sakuracon 2016

Furiosa [Mad Max:Fury Road]
Fenris [Dragon Age 2]
Modern Day!Fenris [Dragon Age 2]

Offline megchan

• Sailor Scout
    • An LJ that DOESN'T have locked entries?!
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2008, 07:54:01 pm »
Pa loves anime.

Pa thinks everyone should watch Captain Harlock and Future Boy Conan.

Pa went to Baka Con '99 (a year before I started going).

Pa tells me when there are mega sales at RightStuf

I love Pa.
Anakin, you're breaking my heart if you don't come to "I'd Just as Soon Kiss a Wookiee: A Star Wars Panel" at Kumoricon!

Offline BlackjackGabbiani

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2008, 07:54:38 pm »
My parents are all right with it, but I think they'd be happier if I watched more "age-appropiate" stuff (given that my primary love is Pokémon).

And, as seems to be standard in this thread, they really liked Princess Mononoke.

Offline DancingTofu

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2008, 09:38:32 pm »
My dad's the one who got me and my sister into Anime; he got us Totoro (still have it on VHS at his house)  and taught us about Miyazaki when we were 5 and 6 ish.  Dad's loosely into it himself, but like me, he's more of a gamer.  My mom's pretty accepting but doesn't seem to be for or against it, and my grandparents are kind of clueless about it; all they really know about it is that my sister and I leave for 4 days two or three times a year and come back as zombies.
moderators gonna moderate </shrug>

Offline superjaz

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2008, 10:23:31 pm »
my mom was of the robo tech era, and thinks pokemon is cute, other then that shes not super into it but does laugh at some stuff, she sees it as any genra she might not be into like star wars

tho my aunt she still wants to know who anna-mae is
superjaz, that is jaz with one z count'um ONE z!
Proud mom of 2 awesome kids

Offline Griff_the_dragoon

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2008, 10:33:20 pm »
my parents hate it so much... i dont know why but they say if i dont put myself into a dark room and just watch anime they are ok with it???

China bound!!!

• Bunnygirl
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2008, 02:07:31 pm »
my parents hate it so much... i dont know why but they say if i dont put myself into a dark room and just watch anime they are ok with it???
D: Wow I Do That Already And My Mom Just Turns On The Light And I Jump Up To The Computer And Say Noooooo! =o But Thats Just Me >w>

And And Of Topic But, Your Phone Number Code The 541 Is In My Area o.e Prinevilleness Ahhh D;
~Sakuracon 2016

Fenris [Dragon Age 2]

Offline Wuntvor

• Catgirl
    • http://wuntvor.home.comcast.net/anime_list.htm
« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2008, 03:14:32 pm »
D: Wow I Do That Already And My Mom Just Turns On The Light And I Jump Up To The Computer And Say Noooooo! =o But Thats Just Me >w>

And And Of Topic But, Your Phone Number Code The 541 Is In My Area o.e Prinevilleness Ahhh D;
Actually, most of Oregon is 541,  I think Portland is the only area to still be 503,  I don't know how much they paid to keep the original area code and make everyone else in Oregon change theirs.  ;D

My mom likes some of the anime I have.  She watched all of 'Agatha Christie`s Great Detectives Poirot and Marple'.  She also watched 'Witchblade', and 'Death Note'.  Moms (thinks about it) 64 now.  Yeah, 64.  I don't live with my parents, so not sure what other stuff she may be watching now.  Dad on the other hand.  I think he fell asleep through most of the Ghibli films I played over there.  I think he watched part of a 'Armitage' movie once.  Maybe 'Gunsmith Cats' as well.  Think I got him to watch 'Steamboy' as well.  My brother in law liked 'You're Under Arrest'  He is a cop though, so he may have a bit of bias.  Actually the one member of the family who really isn't in to anime is my youngest son.  He just graduated from High School and is starting college next week.  He was a major fan as a child, but thinks he has 'outgrown it' now.  I try tio get him to watch some of the more mature shows, but he really just isn't interested and goes into his room to play more 'Team Fortress' or some other free on-line rpg.
(\,@/)  Quote from -  Rock & Rule
(=','=)  Stretch: MOK! Don't let him get us!  He'll put a heck on me!
 //_\\   Dizzy:    Hexx, Stretch.  Hexx.
  d b    Stretch: Aw!  Two of them!  That's even worse!

Offline saya-chan14

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #12 on: September 23, 2008, 03:40:06 pm »
I made my mom stay up late with me to watch Trinity blood and she only saw 2 mins of it and she ask why there was so must blood and killing and then she left to go to sleep(it as the bloodiest Ep too) lol but I really want to show my mom and dad anime my dad loves the stuff he never watch it he just thinks its alsome. my mom and dad have seen Spirited Away but thats it and maby a little of the cartoon networ naruto but i want to show them the stuff i watch not the cartwon network stuff
Sakura 11 cosplays
CC
Yosuke
Libra

• Bunnygirl
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #13 on: September 23, 2008, 04:01:07 pm »

Actually, most of Oregon is 541,  I think Portland is the only area to still be 503,  I don't know how much they paid to keep the original area code and make everyone else in Oregon change theirs.  ;D

My mom likes some of the anime I have.  She watched all of 'Agatha Christie`s Great Detectives Poirot and Marple'.  She also watched 'Witchblade', and 'Death Note'.  Moms (thinks about it) 64 now.  Yeah, 64.  I don't live with my parents, so not sure what other stuff she may be watching now.  Dad on the other hand.  I think he fell asleep through most of the Ghibli films I played over there.  I think he watched part of a 'Armitage' movie once.  Maybe 'Gunsmith Cats' as well.  Think I got him to watch 'Steamboy' as well.  My brother in law liked 'You're Under Arrest'  He is a cop though, so he may have a bit of bias.  Actually the one member of the family who really isn't in to anime is my youngest son.  He just graduated from High School and is starting college next week.  He was a major fan as a child, but thinks he has 'outgrown it' now.  I try tio get him to watch some of the more mature shows, but he really just isn't interested and goes into his room to play more 'Team Fortress' or some other free on-line rpg.
Ohh I Didint Know That >.> Ive Only Been As Far As Bend Portland And Tilamok =o But It Turns Out He Or She Lives Close To Me Only A Few Miles Away In Taarrenbone Or Something Like That >w>

I Made My Mom Watch Death Note She Freak Out And Said Sammy Why Do You Watch This Stuff x-x And I Have The First Box Set Of Witchblade My Brother Absolutly Loved It. Only Cuz Well Duh Its A Big Boobed Lady X_X
~Sakuracon 2016

Fenris [Dragon Age 2]

Offline Mr Silmero

• Catgirl
« Reply #14 on: September 23, 2008, 07:32:02 pm »
I live near Yamhill County and my area code is 503 (just for completeness sake on the topic)

Offline Wuntvor

• Catgirl
    • http://wuntvor.home.comcast.net/anime_list.htm
« Reply #15 on: September 23, 2008, 07:48:57 pm »
OK so it isn't just Portland.  To finish this Area Code discussion I have provided the following visual aide:

Now back to your regularly scheduled thread
(\,@/)  Quote from -  Rock & Rule
(=','=)  Stretch: MOK! Don't let him get us!  He'll put a heck on me!
 //_\\   Dizzy:    Hexx, Stretch.  Hexx.
  d b    Stretch: Aw!  Two of them!  That's even worse!

• Bunnygirl
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #16 on: September 23, 2008, 07:56:33 pm »
Ahh I See Now >.> I Didnt Know Any Of That Cuz Well I Just Moved Down Here A Year Ago From Portland x-x Ive ONLY Lived In Portland And Prineville And On Top Of That Im Not To Bright o.o
~Sakuracon 2016

Fenris [Dragon Age 2]

Offline xxxchihiroxxx

• Bunnygirl
    • My deviantart
« Reply #17 on: September 23, 2008, 08:21:54 pm »
my mom hates anime with a fiery burning pasion of doom not even riveld by satins. ._.

everytime I go to something anime related (take the picnic for isntace) she says "Your going to hang out with those freaky people again? be carful, they scare me, one of them is going to rape and kill you one day I just know it." and then when I cosplay she goes "Your goin to dress up?! as one of those freaky anime people?!" then goes crying into her room asking herself how she raised a freaky geeky girl as a child... Yeah my mom was a prep when she was young and doesnt understand that I take bein called prep an insult >.> she would absolutly LOVE if I started shoping at American Eagle, GAP, and all those places ;_; its seriosly annoying. she also thinks that the Japanese goverment suport it over seas cause after WW2 they said "We lost this war but we will control your children" or something like that, so she thinks its brainwashing me to join japan in the next war.... -.- she also attempts to throw away my cosplays, DVD's, books, and other swag....

yeah my mom scares me.
returning with a vengeance to K con~

• Bunnygirl
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #18 on: September 23, 2008, 08:46:30 pm »
my mom hates anime with a fiery burning pasion of doom not even riveld by satins. ._.

everytime I go to something anime related (take the picnic for isntace) she says "Your going to hang out with those freaky people again? be carful, they scare me, one of them is going to rape and kill you one day I just know it." and then when I cosplay she goes "Your goin to dress up?! as one of those freaky anime people?!" then goes crying into her room asking herself how she raised a freaky geeky girl as a child... Yeah my mom was a prep when she was young and doesnt understand that I take bein called prep an insult >.> she would absolutly LOVE if I started shoping at American Eagle, GAP, and all those places ;_; its seriosly annoying. she also thinks that the Japanese goverment suport it over seas cause after WW2 they said "We lost this war but we will control your children" or something like that, so she thinks its brainwashing me to join japan in the next war.... -.- she also attempts to throw away my cosplays, DVD's, books, and other swag....

yeah my mom scares me.

OMG Im so Sorry O_O' That Must Really Suck >.> That Is Why Most Children Cant Wait For That Move Out Day *w*
~Sakuracon 2016

Fenris [Dragon Age 2]

Offline xxxchihiroxxx

• Bunnygirl
    • My deviantart
« Reply #19 on: September 24, 2008, 07:40:59 am »
personaly I cant wait for college cause Ill actualy have a door with a doornob TT_TT and be able to actualy shut it, with privacy!

• Bunnygirl
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #20 on: September 24, 2008, 02:14:26 pm »
In My Old House I Didnt Have Doors At All >w> Collage Is A Persons Get Away xD I Cant Wait For It Eather But Sometimes I Wish I Could Stay A Kid Forever But Not Have To Live With My Mom >.<
~Sakuracon 2016

Fenris [Dragon Age 2]

Offline Blue Leader

• Chibi
    • Blue Banshees Productions
« Reply #21 on: September 24, 2008, 05:58:39 pm »
My family is kind of border-line on it. I still live with my uncle, grandmother and mother... My grandmother thinks it's "cute", my uncle really doesn't really get it ('course he'd rather watch "M*A*S*H*" 24 hours a day), and actually my mother rather likes a few of them. In fact, she'll watch Adult Swim with me every weekend. She liked Full Metal Alchemist a lot, and now we both love Bleach as well as Moribito.
She's even thinking of doing a Bleach cosplay next year as Retsu Unohana, but she's a bit embarrassed about it because she thinks she's "too old" to cosplay. I told her it's all about fun not about age, but I guess I'll see what happens. :P
« Last Edit: September 24, 2008, 06:02:05 pm by Blue Leader »

This Year's Cosplay:
Jedi Knight, Heat Guy J(?)

Offline tofutakeout

• Bunnygirl
    • Deviantart
« Reply #22 on: September 24, 2008, 06:38:54 pm »
I shop at gap. but I'm not really a 'prep' though. I just like some of the clothes they have. lol
da/tumblr

Offline xxxchihiroxxx

• Bunnygirl
    • My deviantart
« Reply #23 on: September 24, 2008, 07:13:09 pm »
I shop at gap. but I'm not really a 'prep' though. I just like some of the clothes they have. lol

I was just naming a store x.x Gap is nice, good quality >.> but its not my style.

Offline tofutakeout

• Bunnygirl
    • Deviantart
« Reply #24 on: September 24, 2008, 07:16:22 pm »

I was just naming a store x.x Gap is nice, good quality >.> but its not my style.
I understand. XD they don't have the best of stuff but they have really nice smelling lotion and their a great place to get good coats and shirts. I actually like shopping thrift stores more. lol
da/tumblr

Offline makichan

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #25 on: September 24, 2008, 07:54:27 pm »
My mom is into the Miyazaki stuff too but the cosplaying aspect is just a waste of time for her. I try to relate it to all of the money people invest on their hobbies, but since it's not a mainstream thing, it's just weird. She also doesn't understand why I want to do intricate outfits or crossplay. My entire family thinks I'm strange for that, but oh well. I have fun, my friends have fun... who cares? I'll just consider the terms "geek" or "nerd" as a term of endearment xD
"I like the way you fire that gun."
"Thanks. I like the way you take a bullet."

Offline Alderfairy

• Cabbit
« Reply #26 on: September 27, 2008, 10:15:40 am »
The first anime I watched was Rurouni Kenshin on youtube, and my mom was okay with it.
This summer I started borrowing Miyazaki films from the library, and she really enjoyed those, because of the amazing attention to detail.  I think almost all parents like Miyazaki films though.
I also started borrowing Naruto box sets from the library for my brother and sister. (We don't have C.N.)
My mom  watches those with us, but she also asks a lot of questions. O.o ...Such as "What's he doing? Why is he doing that? What's going on now? o.o" lol.
Overall she doesn't seem to mind, and she thinks the Kumori-con is a great place for social interaction. Who knows...she might even go next year. *shrugs*

-(P.S. I was Sasori's fangirl on the 3rd day...my friend said a few people were talking about me here on the forums. Were they? o.o)
(P.P.S. Hi KinkyFriedChicken! It's Me!!!! O:)

• Bunnygirl
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #27 on: September 27, 2008, 01:10:01 pm »
The first anime I watched was Rurouni Kenshin on youtube, and my mom was okay with it.
This summer I started borrowing Miyazaki films from the library, and she really enjoyed those, because of the amazing attention to detail.  I think almost all parents like Miyazaki films though.
I also started borrowing Naruto box sets from the library for my brother and sister. (We don't have C.N.)
My mom  watches those with us, but she also asks a lot of questions. O.o ...Such as "What's he doing? Why is he doing that? What's going on now? o.o" lol.
Overall she doesn't seem to mind, and she thinks the Kumori-con is a great place for social interaction. Who knows...she might even go next year. *shrugs*

-(P.S. I was Sasori's fangirl on the 3rd day...my friend said a few people were talking about me here on the forums. Were they? o.o)
Remember I Forced You To Watch Inuyasha On My Birthday xD Alder You Can Call Me Sam >w> We Know Each Other In Real Life XD *glomps* I Miss My Fan Girl ;_;
~Sakuracon 2016

Fenris [Dragon Age 2]

Offline Alderfairy

• Cabbit
« Reply #28 on: September 27, 2008, 03:26:15 pm »

Remember I Forced You To Watch Inuyasha On My Birthday xD Alder You Can Call Me Sam >w> We Know Each Other In Real Life XD *glomps* I Miss My Fan Girl ;_;
I don't remember that. O: >.<
I was going to call you Sam.... but yeah. XD
I still have that t-shirt somewhere. XD

• Bunnygirl
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #29 on: September 27, 2008, 03:27:40 pm »

I Do Bwhahahaha >:D
>w>
Yey! I Will Attack My Fangirl *w* And And You Chould Join The Halloween Thingy :3
~Sakuracon 2016

Fenris [Dragon Age 2]

Offline Alderfairy

• Cabbit
« Reply #30 on: September 27, 2008, 05:03:26 pm »

>w>
Yey! I Will Attack My Fangirl *w* And And You Chould Join The Halloween Thingy :3
lol. Maybe I will, but isn't it in lake oswego? O:

• Bunnygirl
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #31 on: September 27, 2008, 05:04:55 pm »

>w>
Yah But Theres Like A Whole Group Of Pple Going So Im Sure It'll Be Fine =D
~Sakuracon 2016

Fenris [Dragon Age 2]

Offline Alderfairy

• Cabbit
« Reply #32 on: September 27, 2008, 05:07:19 pm »

>w>
Yay!!! Should I cosplay? Or just go as Alice/Dorothy?

• Bunnygirl
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #33 on: September 27, 2008, 05:08:01 pm »

>w>
IDK You Can Do Eather Its Halloween For Crists Sake XD
~Sakuracon 2016

Fenris [Dragon Age 2]

Offline Alderfairy

• Cabbit
« Reply #34 on: September 27, 2008, 05:09:21 pm »

>w>
IDK You Can Do Eather Its Halloween For Christs Sake XD

lol, true. XD

• Bunnygirl
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #35 on: September 27, 2008, 05:10:50 pm »

>w>

lol, true. XD
*dances Around Like The Chicken Nugget Thing Off A Vid From Youtube*
~Sakuracon 2016

Fenris [Dragon Age 2]

Offline Alderfairy

• Cabbit
« Reply #36 on: September 27, 2008, 05:11:52 pm »

>w>

lol, true. XD
*dances Around Like The Chicken Nugget Thing Off A Vid From Youtube*
O.o
I don't even WANT to know. ._.

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #37 on: September 27, 2008, 11:33:56 pm »
The mod in me is making faces at the quoting of multiple posts for one added line at the end.

Anyway, I wonder what the age ranges in this thread are marked against parental reactions.

Offline Alderfairy

• Cabbit
« Reply #38 on: September 28, 2008, 09:43:08 pm »
Sorry about that.
._.

Offline Kumi-chan

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #39 on: September 29, 2008, 12:50:04 am »

yeah my mom scares me.

Are you sure she just hasn't watched that one episode of South Park too many times? This sounds vaguely familiar.

My folks dislike it quite a bit, though I think they've given up on making me give up on it. Stick with a hobby ten+ years and you can make anyone understand that nagging's not going to make you lose interest.

Mom's staunchly against it because she thinks it's a waste of my time and money (true, but eh.) But she's never really been supportive of any of my hobbies that involved fantasy. Dad doesn't care as much. He's the one who introduced me to fantasy in the first place, so while he doesn't think I should be so fixated, and he thinks the number of posters on my wall is creepy--this is the pruned down version, where I just have the corner by my computer decorated, not the one where every wall in my apartment was covered--he'll occasionally watch a bit if I've got it on in the living room. He's horrible to watch movies with (in general, not just animated), because he likes to point out flaws of logic. No suspension of disbelief in that man at all. Or he's really dry. Or both.

He did think Project A-ko was indecent because the girls were in bikinis. Or something. I remember not quite believing him because I'd never heard him comment on that kind of thing before. I don't think I'll be showing him Ranma 1/2 anytime soon. "You can see that young lady's nipples!" "Yeah, but she's not really a young lady." I don't think it would go over real well, especially if he figured out I cosplay the girl in question. (Not that version, but eh.)

My brother's cool. He's not into it, but we respect each other's interests. He liked Ghost in the Shell (original) and Ranma and Eyeshield 21, at least enough to watch them with me. Magic Knight Rayearth, not so much. The eyes freaked him out.
Rumiko Takahashi fangirl
Wig fanatic, props junkie, fabric snob, cosplay addict

Smile smile!

Offline laurifer

• Catgirl
« Reply #40 on: September 29, 2008, 12:42:05 pm »
My parents don't really mind, as long as I get my priorities straight (school over hobbies, blah blah blah). Then again, I am not really into it anymore so idk haha

Sig by me~~~

Cosplay for '08:
Probably none D:

Offline Namazzi

• Sailor Scout
    • My DeviantART
« Reply #41 on: September 29, 2008, 01:57:47 pm »
I'm basically the only one in my family who likes anime. Aside from my brother, though he isn't a huge fan. I think he likes trigun, but I'm really unsure of any others, if any.
My sister thinks it's incredibly childish and makes sure to let me know it at least once a week. xD .... If only she knew what my nephew watches during the day when I'm babysitting him!  ;D He really loves spirited away, at least!  He *will* be an anime fan. Bwahaha

My parents think it's odd. At least they did. I'm really unsure if they still do or not, but they have finally realized it's not just a 'phase' that I'm going to grow out of. They are at least tolerant of it now. (I'm sure they'll stay that way as long as they don't find out about my yaoi manga collection I have going LOL)
The past couple of weeks my mom has been coming in my room and asking questions about the anime I have on my walls and shelfs, so at least she's taking an interest now! Though I highly doubt I would ever get her to watch any. haha. I guess we'll take it one step at a time.  ;)

Offline mellonemrys

• Chibi
« Reply #42 on: September 29, 2008, 06:59:40 pm »
I'll admit my parents thought it might be a faze, but generally they're fine with it. My mom goes to Sci-fi cons, and does costuming (pirate and steampunk mainly). She really loves Cowboy Bebop, and I bought her SteamBoy for chirstmas last year...Spirited Away is definitely another of her favs. My dad really just doesn't understand Sci-fi/ Fantasy stuff...so mainly I talk to my mom about anime/manga stuff.

What really erks them is that I refuse to drop Kcon from my con schedule to go to Burning Man with them. XD
Kate Fletcher
Assistant Director of Relations 2013
relations@kumoricon.org

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #43 on: September 29, 2008, 09:22:26 pm »
He's horrible to watch movies with (in general, not just animated), because he likes to point out flaws of logic.

Well, I do that all the time and I *am* a fan, so...

Offline Kumi-chan

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #44 on: September 30, 2008, 11:16:26 am »
Oh, I do it to, it's just that he won't shut up about it when the rest of the family wants to just watch the darn thing.
Rumiko Takahashi fangirl

Smile smile!

Offline KogaRyu

• Catgirl
« Reply #45 on: September 30, 2008, 09:25:59 pm »
He's horrible to watch movies with (in general, not just animated), because he likes to point out flaws of logic. No suspension of disbelief in that man at all. Or he's really dry. Or both.

My parents didn't really care either way, my mom liked Sailor Moon and hamtaro. I think it mainly has to do with the theme songs cause she hates Shin Chan but luvs the ending song. other then that my little brother is the exact same way! Doesn't matter if its a game, movie or anime he just wont shut up! An if its anything military related its even worse!! One of the better conversations went something like this:

Im sitting down playing Resident Evil on the GameCube

Steve~ Omg is that a flamethrower!?
Me~  Yeah soo...
Steve~  But It was outlawed by the Geneva Convention after the Korean war!!
Me~ I dont think the umbrella corp really gives a crap.
Steve~ But its illegal! Why would scientists have one!
Me~ To burn stuff......
Steve~ Theyed be in sooo much trouble if the police or FTA ever raided the mansion
Me~ THEY Have basements and labs full of illegal Research and monsters!! If the place was raided having a flamethrower would be the least of their concerns!!
Steve~ But...but its ILLEGAL!! Why would they need one!!!
Me~  *Facepalm*
Team Koga

Offline Kumi-chan

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #46 on: October 01, 2008, 01:25:35 am »
In the case of Dad, it's not that he doesn't understand why they would have flamethrowers, he just feels the need to point out that it's rather stupid that they use them when they have other means to destroy stuff that are less bombastic. Rule of Cool need not apply.
You know how in Austin Powers, Dr. Evil is talking about the slow, horrible, and easily escapeable way he's going to kill Austin, and Scott Evil says they should just shoot him in the head? My dad's Scott. It makes sense, but where's the charm?

I like smart films, but occasionally you just want to sit back and watch something where the only rule of logic is, "It works because it's more awesome this way!" Okay, so realistically a mech that size would collapse under its own weight, and there are forms that are more practical for battle than humanoid, and remind me again why it can only be piloted by angsty 15-year-olds? But the story's good, so just shut up and watch.
Rumiko Takahashi fangirl

Smile smile!

Offline AnimeMatrix

• Chibi
« Reply #47 on: October 01, 2008, 02:30:17 am »
My parents are pretty accepting of it. Though they don't watch it with me, I suppose since I volunteer for 2 conventions (Sakura Con and Kumori Con) they see it as a worthwhile use of my time. Consplay is also what got me into sewing, so they also see that as a worthwhile use of my time and the developement of a useful skill. Whenever I come back from a con, they do ask me questions and they're always really impressed at the amount of work that goes into the con and the number of people that attended (my sister too! who thinks anime is a waste of my time ^_^).

So I guess they don't mind that I watch anime and read manga... as long as it doesn't dominate my life.

Offline Seraph

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #48 on: October 01, 2008, 03:06:09 am »
@Koga
a quick reading over at wikipedia says that flamethrowers are quite legal.  some states may disallow them but there is no laws against them on the federal lvl in the US.  military just decided to stop using them to the fact they to tend to have bad PR and are less effective in today combat(due to short range).  There is still some non military uses for flamethrowers as well

well make him be quiet on the flamethrowers?
"Hm, the Moe is strong with this one..."
Kylite-"You and your TV Tropes!"<Refering to This Troper's ruined voc

Offline GenkiIchigo

• Chibi
    • Facebook
    • Genki's DevArt~
« Reply #49 on: October 01, 2008, 05:24:20 am »
When I first got into anime, I honestly don't remember what my mom's reaction was. Whatever it was she didn't try to stop me from watching it. My friend used to bring over bootlegged tapes of Ranma 1/2 and we'd sit there and watch them together in secret. We thought the nudity was too naughty to tell our parents about (c'mon, we were like...12). We got the tapes from one of our older friends who liked anime too. The way I tell it sounds like a drug deal or something.... >.<;;

I remember once my mom and my older sister were talking about my anime drawings though. I was probably 13 or 14 back then. I clearly remember one or both of them agreeing that it was just a phase (I think my older sister was more disapproving). After that I told my mom that my drawings weren't a phase, and that anime was going to be HUGE one day. Haha I was right on both counts. My mom still reminds me about that all the time. XD

I think over the years my mom has watched a couple of different movies with me, though I can't remember which ones for the life of me. I think if anything she's more accepting now than she was when I was younger. I don't think she could ever seriously get into it though.

Lol this post makes me sound old. >>;

Offline Seraph

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #50 on: October 01, 2008, 09:23:48 pm »
@GenkiIchigo
not odd, quite interesting actually
what does your sister think of it now curiously?
"Hm, the Moe is strong with this one..."
Kylite-"You and your TV Tropes!"<Refering to This Troper's ruined voc

Offline KogaRyu

• Catgirl
« Reply #51 on: October 02, 2008, 03:22:54 am »
@Koga
a quick reading over at wikipedia says that flamethrowers are quite legal.  some states may disallow them but there is no laws against them on the federal lvl in the US.  military just decided to stop using them to the fact they to tend to have bad PR and are less effective in today combat(due to short range).  There is still some non military uses for flamethrowers as well

well make him be quiet on the flamethrowers?

OMG YESSS!!  i will be sure to put that in his know-it-all face!
Team Koga

Offline Oniyukai

• Cabbit
« Reply #52 on: October 02, 2008, 04:03:47 am »
My parents thought i was a genius(fooled them)... so after I started buying every Macross VHS anime I could afford at Fry's Electorincs... every christmas... I'd get a new anime under the tree... My dad took me to Ghost in the Shell when it was in theaters when I was 14 at cinema 21 because no kids under 17 were allowed without their parents. I think part of it...was being raised baptist...my parents didn't let me watch He-man(because of homosexual imagery or some nonsense the church made up)...so I could watch Gatchamon, Speed Racer and Robotech...I didn't realize how much anime I watched during my Fraudian latency period...best not to think about it. But I think I rubbed off more on my parents then the other way.

My dad wathes Afro Samurai.

Offline GenkiIchigo

• Chibi
    • Facebook
    • Genki's DevArt~
« Reply #53 on: October 02, 2008, 09:04:44 am »
@GenkiIchigo
not odd, quite interesting actually
what does your sister think of it now curiously?

My sister is still pretty indifferent to it I think, but her kids watch and play YuGiOh and Pokemon. I guess anime is pretty hard to avoid now though!

Offline valliegirl

• Catgirl
    • http://valliegirl.elite-otaku.net
« Reply #54 on: October 02, 2008, 12:23:17 pm »
I'm actually really lucky.  My Mom and Aunt are sci-fi fans and they took me to Star Trek conventions as a kid, so not only did I have great chances to be a part of a "fandom" atmosphere early, but I saw fanaticism as a normal thing and a way to bond growing up.  I also have a younger sister who is 15 years old, and inherited the "Geek Girl" gene as well.  My Mother took very well to Anime, and now watches quite a bit as well to keep up on what my sister and I are interested in.  She was really into Tenchi for awhile there.

My Father on the other hand is a mundane, and doesn't get us, but was always fine with letting us go off and do our own thing as long as he didn't have to be a part of it.
Take a chance 'cause you might grow
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
http://valliegirl.livejournal.com & http://www.myspace.com/valliegirl1013

Offline xkuroxhanax

• Chibi
    • LJ, gaiz.
« Reply #55 on: October 04, 2008, 08:55:15 pm »
My parents are actually pretty cool with it. not really interested themselves, but not hating on it or anything. actually, my dad loves going to cons, and after his first one, made me lend him my FMA manga to read. he liked it. xD
2009 Cons:
~Sakura-con 09
~Anime Evolution 09
~Kumoricon 09

Current cosplays:
~Axel (KH2)
~Kanda (DGM)

Offline kurakoneko

• Cabbit
« Reply #56 on: October 06, 2008, 10:50:14 pm »
My parents accept it mostly...except that sometimes they'll say it's for kids.They don't know much about it. :-X

Offline allstarsniper32

• Chibi
« Reply #57 on: October 09, 2008, 07:34:23 pm »
hmm I was in middle school when I started watching anime, my parents didn't know most of anything I did though so they only know now because I go to conventions.

Offline tofutakeout

• Bunnygirl
    • Deviantart
« Reply #58 on: October 09, 2008, 07:48:40 pm »
man every time I think of parents and anime or when I'm watching a show with the girls that change into a super cute alter ego(tokyo mew mew, sailor moon, princess tutu, etc) I think of 'why don't they just attack her while she's transforming?' from an otaku survival guide. it's such a true statement too, I've thought of it several times before.

so I had the fma movie since I never got to finish and I asked my mother if I could watch it since I was at her house. first she said sure. then she asked me if it was that weird stuff I liked which after hearing me respond yes she said no. then she said to watch it when everyone went to sleep(which wouldn't have been until very late and I didn't want to stay up that long to watch a movie). then she said that I just shouldn't watch it all while I was over there since murrey(her boyfriend) would comment it, insult it, wouldn't shut up about it, or would just be THERE while I'm watching it. man its nice to only have to go there every other weekend.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2008, 07:48:59 pm by tofutakeout »
da/tumblr