Author Topic: KumoriCon 2003 Doubletree no more  (Read 4729 times)

Offline Radien

• Bunnygirl
KumoriCon 2003 Doubletree no more
« on: January 04, 2005, 04:54:14 pm »
Remember the old Doubletree Inn, where we had KumoriCon 2003?

Well, actually, it might've been bought out by another hotel franchise by the time we were there; I forget. But at any rate, it was known as the Doubletree Inn for a very long time.

Anyway, it's gone now. Completely gone, down to the foundations. The area it occupied is now a Best Buy and a huge parking lot. It has not opened yet, but it looks like it will soon, as all the exterior construction is done.

Am I unhappy about this? Well... a little. It will be nice having a Best Buy, since I've heard they're a very good electronics chain, and it will give us a place to go besides Circuit City.

However, the Doubletree was used for plenty of other big functions before Kumori Con came around, and I've been to them on several occasions: a large-scale SCA masquerade, a Rotary father-son dinner, and last but not least, my high school senior prom. I enjoyed all of them thoroughly.

So I guess it's a little bit sad, but for years the hotel has had trouble getting business in the way hotels usually do: overnight stays. Springfield isn't exactly a tourist destination, and the Doubletree is too well hidden from the view of I-5. And besides, after Kumori Con's first year, the Springfield Doubletree ceased to be a venue option for our snowballing attendance.

Oh well... I guess we'll always have the memories, eh?
A member of Eugene Cosplayers. Come hang out with us.

Kumori Con 2010 Cosplays:

Link (The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess)
Apollo Justice

Offline the_wind_the_sea

• Catgirl
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2005, 05:57:22 pm »
I liked that hotel... I have Kumori-Con 2003 in that hotel... It's where I was chased by a Chi... It was good times. If I ever go to Springfeild again, it's gonna be weird not seeing it... *sighs*  :cry: I don't have many memories from that hotel, but I will always have Kumori-Con 2003!!

Sixteen Year Kumoricon Veteran
Kumoricon'19 Plans-
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Offline Ronime

• Chibi
    • http://www.ronime.net/
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2005, 09:43:42 pm »
yea, i go by it all the time, sad that its gone, my first con too...
beware the ronime XD

Whats the point in being the director if i cant be evil dictator every once in a while?

http://www.ronime.net

Offline rosaryblue

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2005, 03:32:39 am »
Year one.  Just the trip alone is memorable.  Seattle to Eugene with half an hour of sleep, four hour travel time with breaks included.  Arrived at around eleven of that Saturday morning.  Decided on no sleep as I registered.  

Small and intimate is how I remembered Kumori Con 2003.  Just the right size venue for the amount of people who attended.

Offline superjaz

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2005, 08:42:06 am »
:( thats sad i was glomped for the first time in that hotel (by a baku)  :(
superjaz, that is jaz with one z count'um ONE z!
Proud mom of 2 awesome kids

Offline Lizzie

• Sailor Scout
    • http://lizzario.deviantart.com
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2005, 07:23:03 am »
I liked the new one much better. Although cozy and quaint as the old one was, it had a funny smell to it...

Anonymous

« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2005, 08:01:54 am »
new one as in where this years kumoriconb was heald? yeah it was super nice all con should have elevaders great way to meet new friends

Offline Radien

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2005, 10:16:44 pm »
Rosary Blue:

You did that whole drive in the morning?... You're insane! ;) Even on my first trip to Seattle, we went a day early; couldn't stand the idea of getting up at 3am just to make it there in time to get our registration. (even if we had, we still would've been late; we discovered it's usually more than a 5 hour drive, especially if you hit Portland at rush hour)

Lizzie:

Aha... ^^ Yeah, I guess you're right; it was a pretty old hotel, after all. As hotels go, that is. The breezy hallways in extremely rainy Oregon fall weather might also have had something to do with it.

By the way, just so I know, are you Bakazoku Lizzie? I don't remember whether you were/she was at Kumori Con 2003.

Apollo Justice

Offline rosaryblue

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2005, 12:11:17 pm »
Yup, a four hour drive on half an hour of sleep.  I was okay on the first two hours but was crashing, from sleep not the car, on the second half.  I guess insanity, driving instinct, and dedication pushed me forward.  Now, I can't wait for Kumori Con 2005!

Offline Lizzie

• Sailor Scout
    • http://lizzario.deviantart.com
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2005, 11:00:00 pm »
Quote from: "Radien"
Rosary Blue:

You did that whole drive in the morning?... You're insane! ;) Even on my first trip to Seattle, we went a day early; couldn't stand the idea of getting up at 3am just to make it there in time to get our registration. (even if we had, we still would've been late; we discovered it's usually more than a 5 hour drive, especially if you hit Portland at rush hour)

Lizzie:

Aha... ^^ Yeah, I guess you're right; it was a pretty old hotel, after all. As hotels go, that is. The breezy hallways in extremely rainy Oregon fall weather might also have had something to do with it.

By the way, just so I know, are you Bakazoku Lizzie? I don't remember whether you were/she was at Kumori Con 2003.

Yes, I am BakaZoku Lizzie. ^_^ I was at KumoriCon 2003...you might not have remembered me because I had very long, brown hair and now it's blonde.

Offline Radien

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2005, 03:30:56 am »
Quote from: "Lizzie"
Yes, I am BakaZoku Lizzie. ^_^ I was at KumoriCon 2003...you might not have remembered me because I had very long, brown hair and now it's blonde.

Aw, c'mon now, Lizzie... I've been learning to recognize familiar faces in costume since Sakura Con 2000, and we've both been going to cons since then!  The reason I didn't remember whether you were there was actually because I didn't get much time to socialize and greet people that year, and also because I saw your same BakaZoku skit a second time at Sakura Con 2004. (it all starts to blur together after awhile...)

Anyway, hi again! I hope our Kumori Con 2005 venue is an improvement. I'm not sure if I'll be able to afford to go to Sakura Con this spring as well, though, which will be a first since I started going. :? Good luck holding down the fort in Seattle, regardless. ;)

RosaryBlue:

That's da'spirit... hope to see you there this fall. ^_^ Kumori Con is still affordable, and I have plenty of time to prepare, so I won't be missing it either.

Apollo Justice

Offline rosaryblue

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2005, 04:14:26 am »
I know I should be 'slowing' down in my 'old age' but last I checked, nope, still full speed ahead. x)

I've seen the sight of Kumori Con 2005 and I like it!  Next to a mall which means, a better food fare selection.  Subway's, anyone?  :wink: