Author Topic: If you controlled Toonami-  (Read 5390 times)

Offline Negima

• Bunnygirl
If you controlled Toonami-
« on: September 21, 2008, 04:29:29 pm »
So you don't have to read my little intro, I'll get to the point.

What if you were in control of a revived Toonami and could air anything you wanted to?  (Within reason)

Toonami has ended but it kinda destroyed itself when it started cutting a lot of shows we all enjoyed.  I was wondering, if Cartoon Network were to announce they were going to bring it back and they asked their viewers what they wanted to see, what would you suggest?
Same time slot, same amount of time, any series that isn't too mature, and dubbed (I don't think you can officially air a fansub)

By the way, I don't know how many people know this, but the last schedule of Toonami was Naruto (2 episodes), Ben 10 Alien Force, and Samurai Jack.

Personally I would keep Samurai Jack.  I was happy to see it brought back.
Last Exile
Tenchi Muyo (all of them, even if edited)
And I haven't seen all of it but maybe Haruhi.

So anyway, what would you suggest?

oslapedo

Re: If you controlled Toonami-
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2008, 04:52:42 pm »
Oh how I miss Toonami.

- Thundercats
- Sailor Moon
- DBZ
- Hamtaro
- Samurai Jack
- Code Lyoko
- Bobobo
- One Piece (Funi style!)
- Poke'mon

And of course we NEED MOAR TOM!!!

Offline Wuntvor

• Catgirl
    • http://wuntvor.home.comcast.net/anime_list.htm
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2008, 05:08:50 pm »
Gah,  So many shows I would want to watch.  I suppose I have to try and keep it geared for a younger audience.  Toonami was the milder time slot.  If you want a show that ran long and had that shounen feel to it, I would elect History`s Strongest Disciple Kenichi.  It has a sort of Yu Yu Hakisho meets Tenchi and Ranma feel to it.  Another possibility would be Bamboo Blade.   If you want a show very similar in feel to InuYasha I would go with Shonen Onmyouji.  It isn't as long as InuYasha, but definitely has the same feel to it.  Another that may be taken into consideration is The Story of Saiunkoku.  This one is shoujo, but still has some decent fight scenes, and a really well thought out story line.  Kind of like Fushigi Yuugi, or the 12 Kingdoms.  Along a similar vein is Utawarerumono.  This is a great series.  If you want more humor or slapstick I would go with Mahoraba: Heartful Days.  This is a show that will entertain you.  Of course there is the already mentioned The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya as well as the slapstick humor of the show that makes fun of it Lucky Star.  There is also Hayate no Gotoku! a show that I think every anime fan should see at least once.  I suppose that is a good start for the first year.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2008, 05:14:09 pm by Wuntvor »
(\,@/)  Quote from -  Rock & Rule
(=','=)  Stretch: MOK! Don't let him get us!  He'll put a heck on me!
 //_\\   Dizzy:    Hexx, Stretch.  Hexx.
  d b    Stretch: Aw!  Two of them!  That's even worse!

Offline tofutakeout

• Bunnygirl
    • Deviantart
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2008, 05:33:10 pm »
man....I wouldn't really know what show to air. any how really except the stuff they played lastly. my thing that I'd want different about toonami if they brought it back is to have the old tom with NO FACE(lol) and only him in a cool little techy room. wasn't their like a holographic chick at one point too? yeah bring her back also. she was cool.
da/tumblr
Pull the trigger, pull the trigger, pull the trigger. BOOM

Offline reppy

• Bunnygirl
    • http://www.animemsn.com
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2008, 06:15:59 pm »
You know what I'd love?  If every anime they showed was available in closed caption (but the CC would actually be the original Japanese subtitles).  Then, you could switch to SAP (secondary audio program) and listen to the Japanese audio!

I think this would increase viewership.  And usually the reason most programs get cancelled is lack of viewership.  Sad to admit, I used to stay away from Toonami because I don't like most dubs.  (Call me an elitist, but it's true.)

Clark Anime: http://clarkanime.com
Facebook: http://facebook.com/reppy
Kumoricon 2005-10 galleries: http://dunpeal.net/gallery

Offline Negima

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2008, 06:34:29 pm »
You know what I'd love?  If every anime they showed was available in closed caption (but the CC would actually be the original Japanese subtitles).  Then, you could switch to SAP (secondary audio program) and listen to the Japanese audio!

I think this would increase viewership.  And usually the reason most programs get cancelled is lack of viewership.  Sad to admit, I used to stay away from Toonami because I don't like most dubs.  (Call me an elitist, but it's true.)
Oh man, that would be BRILLIANT!  I don't mind subs or dubs in most cases but I agree with you.  Having that as an option would probably increase viewership by a lot.

I also agree with keeping the old Tom.  I didn't like the new one or his crew.
I'm trying to remember the hologram-girl's name who was with Tom in the early stages but I can't remember.  I wonder how much viewership would go up if they made the girl GLaDOS....
"Once the show is over, there will be cake."

Offline BlackjackGabbiani

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2008, 09:39:30 pm »
Most tv dubs *are* closed captioned. The problem is that most dub closed captioning (actually most closed captioning to begin with, but especially dubs for some reason) really really sucks, no matter how good the rest of the dub is.
...oddly enough, the company I've noticed that does the best with captioning their dubs is 4Kids, which is all kinds of strange. But it matches the dialogue, it spells names correctly (with how they're spoken), it notes when there's an off-screen noise the viewer needs to know about, and it's NOT SCROLLING which is incredibly hard to read. Most dub captions seem to read like live captions, which are messed up because they're done extremely quickly, even though there *should* be at least several weeks to work on them.

Worst captioning I've ever seen on a dub is on something where I love pretty much everything else about the dub, and that's on Digimon Frontier. When the ultimate warrior Susano'omon appears, they captioned his name as "Suicidalmon", leaving me with my mouth agape and ultimately to bust out laughing, which completely ruined the seriousness of the scene.

...anyway! If I ran Toonami I'd have advertised it rather than doing nothing to promote it and then whining when no one watched it, like CN did.

Offline superjaz

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2008, 10:15:55 pm »
sailor moon marathon all the way thru followed by tenchi all the way thru then yuyu ect
superjaz, that is jaz with one z count'um ONE z!
Proud mom of 2 awesome kids

Offline makichan

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2008, 12:09:27 am »
sailor moon marathon all the way thru followed by tenchi all the way thru then yuyu ect
YES, YES, YES. FULL OF WIN. O-O
"I like the way you fire that gun."
"Thanks. I like the way you take a bullet."

Offline EveofAbyss

• Bunnygirl
    • Facebook
« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2008, 12:32:04 am »
- Record of Lodoss War (gotta get the vintage in there!!)
- Claymore
- Aeon Flux
- Death Note
- Shin-Chan
- Azumanga Daioh

That covers 3 hours, which I think was about the right time expanse. It is a nice cross of old and newer, and I think it would be great exposure for new viewers.

Buy my book of poems!
Lord Otaku commands you!

Offline Wuntvor

• Catgirl
« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2008, 10:36:42 am »
- Claymore
- Aeon Flux
- Death Note
- Shin-Chan
- Azumanga Daioh

That covers 3 hours, which I think was about the right time expanse. It is a nice cross of old and newer, and I think it would be great exposure for new viewers.

Hey, EveofAbyss, remember this is Toonami NOT Adult Swim.  I think Azumanga Daioh will pass the censors.  RoLW may get by with a bit of hacking by the censors.  All of the others get delegated to Adult Swim status.  In fact Death Note and Shin-Chan already are.

Offline EveofAbyss

• Bunnygirl
    • Facebook
« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2008, 11:03:17 am »
Ah, okay. Wasn't aware there were standards I was supposed to follow. I read this:

What if you were in control of a revived Toonami and could air anything you wanted to?  (Within reason)

Didn't think I had to be uber-realistic since it isn't going to happen, lol. But whatever.

Buy my book of poems!
Lord Otaku commands you!

Offline Sayda

• Bunnygirl
    • Deviant Art.
« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2008, 01:18:57 pm »
I miss the old Toonami. ~ ~ In this order:
Cardcaptor Sakura.
Sailor Moon.
DBZ.
DBZ.
Outlaw Star.
Tenchi.
AX :
- Seras Victoria (Hellsing)
- Axel (Kingdom Hearts II)
- Debut Cosplay

Offline Wuntvor

• Catgirl
« Reply #13 on: September 22, 2008, 03:27:52 pm »
Ah, okay. Wasn't aware there were standards I was supposed to follow. I read this:

Didn't think I had to be uber-realistic since it isn't going to happen, lol. But whatever.

I guess I thought that was what the (Within reason) meant.  Of course Negi might have just meant Hentai.  What about it Sensei?  Do you mean shows of a PG-13 nature?  Or, anything we want to see, except maybe Hentai?

Maybe we should start an 'If you controlled Adult Swim' thread.  I know I would definitely toss out most of what they are playing now, as well as question the necessity of repeating the shows.  If I could have more shows I would be happier than having the same show air twice.  I would also agree to 'Claymore' as part of that lineup.  Maybe 'Fate/Stay Night' as well.

Offline tofutakeout

• Bunnygirl
    • Deviantart
« Reply #14 on: September 22, 2008, 04:33:18 pm »
- Claymore
- Aeon Flux
- Death Note
- Shin-Chan
- Azumanga Daioh

hey record of loddoss war is a good idea. it's a bit violent but I think it could make the grade. no cussing ,sexual themes or anything. well any that I can see. :3
da/tumblr
Pull the trigger, pull the trigger, pull the trigger. BOOM

Offline Wuntvor

• Catgirl
« Reply #15 on: September 22, 2008, 05:00:02 pm »
I would try to show a lot of new stuff that would really grab the public's interest. My first set of series would be these (and in this order):

Hidamari Sketch
Rozen Maiden
Dennou Coil
Noein
Darker Than Black
Gankutsuou

Everyone that I've talked to has really enjoyed these series. If anyone of you haven't seen "Gankutsuou" I would really recommend that you watched it (The Sub'd version is better, but the Dub'd is ok...)

Had to quote this to find out how to code the URL like that.  I knew it could be done, just had forgotten how.  I will probablly go back to some of my old posts now and change them.  ;D

Yeah, Hidamari Sketch is definitely something I would have liked to have seen put on Toonami.  It is kind of like Azumanga Daioh the College years.  A similar show to it is Minami-ke.  Both shows are great slice of a school girls life, type of shows.  I never could get into "Gankutsuou".  I only watched one episode, but it just wasn't my thing.  "Darker than Black" I think I watched three episodes of that one.  I may try continuing it at some point.  I was sort of freaked out by the events, in the last episode of it, I watched.  Rozen Maiden is pretty good, although not on my favorites list.  I have all of Dennou Coil in HQ sub form.  I haven't had time to finish watching it.  I think I am at around episode 6 or 7, anyway a different style of anime, with a unique plot idea.  I like what I have watched so far.  I have not seen Noein, so I can't comment on it.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2008, 05:02:28 pm by Wuntvor »

Offline samalam

• Cabbit
« Reply #16 on: September 22, 2008, 07:03:44 pm »
bring back sailormoon!
tom needs no face
less naruto! or better yet every filler episode should have a cnn line going across the bottom aplogizing for wasting are time then a sad face :<
hana-yori-dango/ its just awsome
Rurouni Kenshin
bring back yu yu hakusho/ were finger guns began!
tsubasa/ because xxxHOLiC would make the children brain exsplode
and megas xlr I miss that show!
also gintama would be be pretty cool but parents would flip out

now we need a adult swim forem I'd tear them a new one  ;)

kumoricon-09
marshmello fuu~

Offline Negima

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #17 on: September 22, 2008, 11:04:29 pm »

I guess I thought that was what the (Within reason) meant.  Of course Negi might have just meant Hentai.  What about it Sensei?  Do you mean shows of a PG-13 nature?  Or, anything we want to see, except maybe Hentai?
Yeah, mostly a "No Hentai" thing but also nothing that had too much blood and guts spewing everywhere.  Nothing like "School girls and Exploding tentacle monsters 2."

Offline reppy

• Bunnygirl
    • http://www.animemsn.com
« Reply #18 on: September 23, 2008, 07:16:58 am »

Yeah, mostly a "No Hentai" thing but also nothing that had too much blood and guts spewing everywhere.  Nothing like "School girls and Exploding tentacle monsters 2."

It just wasn't as good as the original...  :( ;)
« Last Edit: September 23, 2008, 07:19:15 am by reppy »

Clark Anime: http://clarkanime.com
Facebook: http://facebook.com/reppy
Kumoricon 2005-10 galleries: http://dunpeal.net/gallery

Offline Wuntvor

• Catgirl
« Reply #19 on: September 23, 2008, 02:05:07 pm »
It just wasn't as good as the original...  :( ;)

ROTFL.  Ow, ow, my sides hurt.