Author Topic: rarnom's *official* salem area anime parties thread  (Read 13519 times)

Offline rarnom

• Chibi
rarnom's *official* salem area anime parties thread
« on: January 03, 2005, 06:57:39 pm »
Hi all.
From now on I will update this thread with info and viewing schedules for activites that I am putting on here in Salem either through my meetup group or in conjunction with the Etherguild LAN gaming club.

Upcoming events for January:

JAN 8th  2pm - Midnight

LANime party at Chemeketa Community College Building 34  

viewing schedule:

BERSERK eps 1-5

Live action HK film:  Running on Karma

and from my latest ADV ADVocates sampler dvd:
Wandaba Style
Princess Tutu
Cyberteam in Akihabara
Peacemaker
Petite Princess Yuice

and of course... Manga, GO, console gaming, and LAN gaming.

JAN 13th  7-9 pm

Salem Anime Meetup meeting  @ SIP  325 Court St NE (downtown salem)
We'll be meeting in the downstairs area.

We will be watching:

Neo-Tokyo (aka: Manie-Manie)

there will also be manga, Go ( I got a board for x-mas!!!) and of course everyone should try some bubble tea at SIP!

upcoming for the Feb LANime party:  all KOREAN anime/live action showcase!!

for more info or to sign up for my meetup group please visit:
http://anime.meetup.com/43
http://www.etherguild.org

take care everyone!!!
The trick is not minding.

Offline Irnogs

• Chibi
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2005, 11:24:50 am »
Haha Rarnom's official thread! How cool! lol Well, anyways... I hope to see lots of people at the party on Saturday! It should be lots of fun, and as always it's free and anyone's welcomed to come!!

See ya there Rarnom!!

Anonymous

cool news!!
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2005, 12:05:01 pm »
w00t

I just got the Salem Anime Meetup Group accepted into Funimation's 'Operation Anime'.  So we will get some titles to check out and preview as well as pretty substantial discounts (in the form of 40% off gift cards that can be used at the Funimation store) for club members, or anyone else who is there to fill out a review of the anime we watch!!

Offline rarnom

• Chibi
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2005, 12:12:13 pm »
that last post was me.  I didn't realize I wasn't logged in... :oops:

Offline Irnogs

• Chibi
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2005, 07:25:01 pm »
Hey, that sounds awesome! Oh, and I wanted to mention that I have a few complete series that I'd be willing to bring to future events if people wanted. I just threw a quick list together below. Keep in mind that I have more that aren't finished yet and I also have a ton of OVAs ...

Kenshin (ALL and ALL movies)
Kiddy Grade (ALL)
Witch Hunter Robin (ALL)
Someday's Dreamers (ALL)
Haibane Renmei (ALL)
Boogiepop Phantom (ALL)
Eva (ALL)
Handmaid Maid(ALL)
Saikano (ALL)
Rahxephon (ALL + MOVIE)

oh and I just bought GITS 2 last week

Offline rarnom

• Chibi
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2005, 03:32:44 pm »
WOW what an awesome party we had on Saturday!!

I am so lame though, I played like 10 minutes of DDR and the next day my back hurt so bad.. :oops:  :lol:

Anyway, if you haven't come down yet for a LANime party, you should try to make it to the February one.  (FEB 12th  2-midnight)

I will be featuring an ALL KOREAN showcase:

with:

WONDERFUL DAYS  (Korean Anime/CGI Film)

MUSA THE WARRIOR  
(2001, BIG budget Korean war epic set in 1375, awesome film)

I will also be bringing the latest ADV sampler and other stuff to show.  And like always there will be manga, GO, console gaming, LAN gaming.

Offline Irnogs

• Chibi
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2005, 09:06:34 pm »
What? You played DDR and I missed it? Aww... I want to take some pics next time! ;)

The party was awesome!! We had record attendance, and definitely the most computers I've ever seen there. We even blew a circuit! Thanks to Halo 2 and the extra projectors for that. ;) Having the manga table and DDR there was way cool too. I gotta talk Brad into playing it next time hehe. I hope everyone comes back for the next party! We should definitely have some Bawls next time (darn UPS!!), they already sent me the other prize pack! More T-Shirts W00T!

For those of you that still need convincing, be sure to check out the pics on the EtherGuild site.

Offline rarnom

• Chibi
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2005, 10:39:14 pm »
Quote from: "Irnogs"
What? You played DDR and I missed it? Aww... I want to take some pics next time! ;)

The party was awesome!! We had record attendance, and definitely the most computers I've ever seen there. We even blew a circuit! Thanks to Halo 2 and the extra projectors for that. ;) Having the manga table and DDR there was way cool too. I gotta talk Brad into playing it next time hehe. I hope everyone comes back for the next party! We should definitely have some Bawls next time (darn UPS!!), they already sent me the other prize pack! More T-Shirts W00T!

For those of you that still need convincing, be sure to check out the pics on the EtherGuild site.

I'll make sure and let you get some pics of my sweet DDR moves next time!   :wink:

also here is a direct link to the etherguild photo album:
http://www.etherguild.org/photos/photo-thumbnails.asp?albumid=5

what a great set of pictures!!

Offline Irnogs

• Chibi
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2005, 06:44:00 pm »
yep, gotta get my money's worth outta that new camera! I figure I only got about $900 worth to go now! LOL

Offline rarnom

• Chibi
Updated info on the February LANime party
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2005, 12:57:02 pm »
Hi everyone.  Here is the low-down on the next big party we are having here in Salem:

FEB LANime party

Feb 12th 2pm-midnight

We will have available for your entertainment:

HALO 2 (last time we had 8 man halo going... 8) )
DDR
Manga
GO
LAN gaming
Console gaming
nachos  :D

and I will be showing the latest ADV sampler as well as the KOREAN showcase featuring:

WONDERFUL DAYS
and
MUSA THE WARRIOR

I am also bringing pencils, colored pencils, paper, and artbooks for a manga/anime art contest.

I know that there will also be the usual SWEET prizes in the raffle, and I am hoping ADV sends me more goodies to raffle off at this event as well.
I am also going to get some POCKY to raffle off and give away as well...

So, come out, enjoy yourselves, please bring your friends, tell your friends.  It should be a GREAT time.

here are some pics of the last party in case you need more convincing:
http://anime.meetup.com/43/photos/?photoAlbumId=23087

Offline Irnogs

• Chibi
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2005, 06:48:28 pm »
oh... I still need to get you the pics from the last meeting! I'll try and email you those later tonight and/or post them on the site...

Oh, and we should also have more prizes for this next event! I got an email from hackerthreads.com that they are sending some T-Shirts, and it's possible that a few other companies will be sponsoring the next event(s) as well.

Offline rarnom

• Chibi
« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2005, 07:37:07 pm »
Quote from: "Irnogs"
Oh, and we should also have more prizes for this next event! I got an email from hackerthreads.com that they are sending some T-Shirts, and it's possible that a few other companies will be sponsoring the next event(s) as well.

SWEET!!

I am also going to have Becca knit some more playstation controller sweaters for fun  :P   (she has some cool camoflauge yarn)

Offline Irnogs

• Chibi
« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2005, 01:07:14 pm »
hehe, cool. If only I played my PS2...

Offline Bunny_Mae

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2005, 01:53:02 pm »
hey, I was wondering, do we have any sort of snack/potluck thing happening? I heard that last time someone brought nachos and stuff. So, would it be ok if I brought stuff to share next time? I mean like you could say it's an optional thing to bring snacks to share or something? Cause it lasts over four hours and that a lot of starving anime/lan fans.  :wink: But yeah, I was wondering if I could bring homeade cookies or brownies or something? If so, how many people are we looking at? 50? Or do you expect more? I can't bring enough for everyone to like stuff themselves, but maybe like two each or something? Maybe other people can bring other stuff to go with it? Or do you guys already have something for that sort of stuff???
Bunny
~I'm Addicted to Chocolate, I used to Snort Cocoa~

Offline rarnom

• Chibi
« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2005, 03:24:24 pm »
By all means, if you want to bring food for people that is an AWESOME idea!!!  :)  :)  :)

I welcome anyone who wants to help out with food stuff.  If anyone who is coming out wants to bring anything; chips, pop, whatever, and as much or as little as you feel like sharing, that would be a very cool and generous gesture.

In terms of how many people will be there, last time we had about 30 people and I am not sure how many people will be at this next one.  I have been making flyers and putting them up and handing them out all over town, so hopefully more people will show.  But, I would be pleasantly surprised if we had even close to 50 people there.  *crosses fingers*

I'd say just make enough as you feel comfortable with.  I am sure that any amount of homemade cookies will be a very welcome sight... :wink:

it is very nice of you to offer that!  :D

Offline Irnogs

• Chibi
« Reply #15 on: January 20, 2005, 10:10:34 pm »
Yeah, you are most welcomed to bring whatever you want! It was awesome that Ken brought nachos and stuff, I never really thought of that myself. I usually would just get a pizza or something, but hey a potluck just might work! I'll be sure to post something on the EtherGuild site about that and then if I know enough people are bringing food I can advertise that as well.

And just to let everyone know. I am expecting more people to show up this time. I have been working a lot to promote the next few event, and while you can never be sure on these things I would rather be over prepared than have to turn people away. ;) I would say be ready for 50.

Maybe I will bring some homemade stuff as well. Hubert was even telling me he's never had my lasagna or enchiladas before.. jeez! I also have tons of cookie/cake mixes I've yet to use...

Offline rarnom

• Chibi
« Reply #16 on: January 20, 2005, 10:30:02 pm »
Man, this next party is going to ROCK!!

I already told you about the flyers I left at Borderlands and the comic book shops, I also gave Scarah a big stack of flyers that she said she was going to give to the lady at Suncoast.  Apparently they are going to have them in a little basket by the anime/manga section.  pretty nice.

Offline FilkAeris

• Chibi
« Reply #17 on: January 21, 2005, 02:59:36 am »
Would anyone be willing to give me a ride if I could find the time to go?  It sounds like a lot of fun!

KUMORICON 2014: BEST. CON. EVER! LET'S DO IT ALL AGAIN IN 2015!

Offline rarnom

• Chibi
« Reply #18 on: January 21, 2005, 08:47:02 am »
I can give you a ride if you want.  I usually get to the event about a half hour early (1:30) to set up.  If you would rather not get there so early I know some other girls in the club that I am sure would give you a ride.  I can pass along their email to you if you would like...

Offline Irnogs

• Chibi
« Reply #19 on: January 21, 2005, 11:02:14 pm »
I would offer a ride as well, but I have to be there at around noon to start setting up. >.< There's A LOT that I need to do to get these things going. ;) LANs unfortunately don't set themselves up... *sigh* (so, I need to set up the network and/or servers, set up the tables, verify the media orders, set up sponsor stuff, get the TVs and projectors hooked up, and that's all after making sure that security knows whats going on and making sure the rooms are unlocked, etc, etc...)

Course, if anyone ever wants to help with all of that, just let me know!
(Then again hopefully I won't be at the next event as there's a possibility that my bf may be taking me to Mazatlan *crosses fingers*)

Offline rarnom

• Chibi
FUN STUFF THIS WEEK!!!
« Reply #20 on: February 07, 2005, 12:20:28 pm »
Hey there Hi there Ho there.

We have fun stuff going on this week.  Should be a blast!

Thursday 2/10 @7pm we have our monthly meetup at SIP the bubble tea house in downtown Salem.  Manga, GO, pocky, and some new *ultra cool* club bookmarks!!

Saturday 2/12 2-midnight  the LANime party at Chemeketa.  I have already posted about this lots, but it will be a blast!  I will show the latest ADV sampler plus:  Wonderful Days, Musa the Warrior, and I am adding the movie GOD OF GAMBLERS to the list as well.  CLASSIC Chow Yuen Fat film.  

I hope to see many of you there.  As always, if you have any questions email or PM me.

Offline Irnogs

• Chibi
« Reply #21 on: February 13, 2005, 06:16:17 pm »
Oh man, that was so much fun! For those that don't know we had 62 people show up for the LAN last night! 62! The next one is going to be on Saturday, March 12th, so mark your calendars!!

Offline rarnom

• Chibi
« Reply #22 on: February 14, 2005, 10:20:02 am »
The party was indeed excellent.  The next one is going to be even better.  I just want to thank everyone who helped make it happen and I also want to give a big thanks to Bunny_Mae for making those AWESOME cookies.  Those got eaten up faster than anything!

you know what else is wild.  Look at these two pics:

This is from the JAN party:

Then we have the same view, but from the FEB party:

wow.

Offline Bunny_Mae

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #23 on: February 14, 2005, 05:21:45 pm »
Wow, lots more people! Your welcome for the cookies, I was very surprised they got eaten so quickly! And actually my little sister, (whom we call Spidar online), made the cookies, she was there but she's kina shy. And if anybody comes here and sees my post, I have pictures of my dolls up!! Heres the link:
http://photobucket.com/albums/v231/bunny_mae/

Bunny

Offline Irnogs

• Chibi
« Reply #24 on: February 15, 2005, 01:35:50 pm »
heh, pic #2 isn't working for me atm.. hrmm, but anyways I got to see it first hand, so I know.. ;) It's amazing that our attendance doubled like that. I'm hoping for even more next time, and with our organizing and such now we should be able to pull it off pretty easily. :)

Offline rarnom

• Chibi
NEW EVENT! Come play GO and read Manga with rarnom
« Reply #25 on: February 16, 2005, 09:55:56 pm »
Live in or nearby Salem?
Gonna be bored next Wednesday?  
Come play GO and read manga with rarnom and friends!!

here is the info:

What:
GO and manga with rarnom and friends.
We will have two GO boards and I'll be bringing the latest 3 Shonen Jumps.  
My friend Bill will also bring a sampling of manga from his HUGE collection.
We will also have drawing supplies for you artistic types out there.

Where: BORDERLANDS in Downtown Salem (right next to the Movieland at Salem Center)

When: Wednesday Feb 23, 5-7 pm

for more info check here:
http://anime.meetup.com/43/events/4246338/

Also check the manga lists on the message board and either contact me or post and we can bring a title or two for you to read at the event.
the manga lists are here:
rarnom's manga list
Bill's manga list

take care everyone!

Offline Bunny_Mae

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #26 on: February 24, 2005, 08:18:17 am »
Hrrmm...It works for me, I dunno why it isn't working. How annoying.

I was thinking for the next con or one in the future maybe we should have a cosplay meeting? I mean like at the lanime, just tell people to show up in cosplay. Just an idea.
Also I keep running into people on campus and off that are into manga/anime (like when I spend hours at Borders reading mangas and there are peole doing the same thing!!) and I want to invite them to the meetings but i never remember dates and I have no clue what the campuses address is. Maybe I could get a handfull of bookmarks or something that has all the information of when, where, and what on thema nd i could keep them in my purse and hand them out to people I see. That way they dont have to write down what I said and if they lose it their fault instead of mine for not knowing what to tell them, or telling them the wrong information. ^_^
By the way, when is the next SIP meeting? The second thurseday? Too bad we couldn't of had the Lanime party the first weekend of march, then it wouldn't have been right before finals,  :?
Bunny

Offline Irnogs

• Chibi
« Reply #27 on: February 24, 2005, 10:13:11 am »
I think Rarnom could print more of those little flyers that has the clubs info and website stuff on it. You could certainly pass those out.

The reason we have the parties on the second Saturdays though is we wanted a consistent time to have them and the first Saturday just didn't work very well for January. Besides, sometimes you need to relax and frag a few people around finals. ;)

oh, btw... the pic works for me now, just didn't when I posted that for some reason...

Offline rarnom

• Chibi
« Reply #28 on: February 24, 2005, 10:36:02 am »
Quote from: "Bunny_Mae"
I was thinking for the next con or one in the future maybe we should have a cosplay meeting? I mean like at the lanime, just tell people to show up in cosplay. Just an idea.
Also I keep running into people on campus and off that are into manga/anime (like when I spend hours at Borders reading mangas and there are peole doing the same thing!!) and I want to invite them to the meetings but i never remember dates and I have no clue what the campuses address is. Maybe I could get a handfull of bookmarks or something that has all the information of when, where, and what on thema nd i could keep them in my purse and hand them out to people I see. That way they dont have to write down what I said and if they lose it their fault instead of mine for not knowing what to tell them, or telling them the wrong information. ^_^
By the way, when is the next SIP meeting? The second thurseday? Too bad we couldn't of had the Lanime party the first weekend of march, then it wouldn't have been right before finals,  :?
Bunny

The next SIP meeting is on March 10th.  The meetings are on the second Thursday of each month.  The LANime parties are on the second Saturday of each month.

I am ALL ABOUT doing some cosplay at the next LANime party.  I will for sure be dressed up and if others want to come in costume that would be very cool.

I will make sure and have lots of flyers to pass along to you that you can pass along to your friends as well at the meeting at SIP.  :D
The easiest thing is if we give people flyers and then they go sign up or at least visit the sites, then they can get info about the events, times, locations, etc...  So, yeah, I'll have more flyers ready to go.

Quote from: "irnogs"
oh, btw... the pic works for me now, just didn't when I posted that for some reason...

The pics weren't working before because I was trying to link directly to the meetup site, but it didn't like that so I reposted the pics in my photobucket and now everything is peachy.

Offline rarnom

• Chibi
March Salem club events!
« Reply #29 on: February 28, 2005, 01:08:45 pm »
Hi everyone!

Here is what is happening in Salem in MARCH!

March 10th
Bubble Tea and MANGA meetup at SIP in downtown Salem
Come for bubble tea, manga, GO, and more!
a nice chill hang out with other anime fans in Salem

March 12th
THE LANIME PARTY!!!
big party, big fun, too big for this page!
Please check my post in Gen discussion by clicking HERE to find out all the info on this HUGE HUGE and FREE event!

as always, email or PM me if you have questions or whatever.

and it is always great to have new people sign up at the club websites!
so click on these links and sign up!!

http://anime.meetup.com/43
http://www.etherguild.org/register.asp