Author Topic: stoopid half life2  (Read 6767 times)

Offline superjaz

• Bunnygirl
stoopid half life2
« on: January 03, 2005, 08:29:45 am »
wrarning if you buy half life 2 know what your doing,my younger brother bought half life 2 after x-mas and it crashed our computer, said it was compadible (LIERS) but it wasn't and now my older brother has to get some friends together who knows about computers and see if theres a way to save all the music and kumoricon (and family)pictures (plus 20 pgs of a book in'm writing and 2 short storys)  i not mad at bro tho it's not his fault (later learn theres a bunch of bugs in the game) wourst part was is that he didn't have enough for it on his own, i gave him  the 20 extra to buy cuz i knew he wanted it soo much
superjaz, that is jaz with one z count'um ONE z!
Proud mom of 2 awesome kids

Offline Ronime

• Chibi
    • http://www.ronime.net/
stoopid half life2
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2005, 10:23:03 am »
it isnt HL2 thts the problem. its a large program, and you shouldnt have any programs running with it unless you have pretty much the fastest comp possible... it really isnt the game's fault
beware the ronime XD

Whats the point in being the director if i cant be evil dictator every once in a while?

http://www.ronime.net

Offline Irnogs

• Chibi
stoopid half life2
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2005, 11:52:30 am »
Yeah, a whole bunch of us bought it the day it came out and haven't had any problems. Then again, every machine is different. I would never reccomend running a game w/the minimum requirements though, and also make sure you have the latest drivers installed on your computer as that can make a difference as well.

Offline superjaz

• Bunnygirl
stoopid half life2
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2005, 12:14:34 pm »
we had the requirements for it but somthing went wrong, we were able to take it back to the store for a refund (mom kept my part of $$ for the truble) but its really rare to get money back for an opend used game

Offline Dustin

• Catgirl
    • http://www.fanfiction.net/u/217341/
stoopid half life2
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2005, 06:08:40 pm »
LOL, I am laughing because you're blaming the game, when its most likely your brothers fault.

HL2 takes ALOT of resources on your PC to run. He probably had other things running while installing it, which WOULD cause it to crash the PC. :D

Its funny how people mess up, and then not admit it, and blame it on someone else, or in this case, something else. Blaming an inanimate object is just pure stupid, I think.

Offline superjaz

• Bunnygirl
stoopid half life2
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2005, 09:27:47 am »
i stand by my opinion
what i heard when we took the game back was that the company was in a rush to get the game out that a few prob were left in so okay i don't blame the inadamet object i blame the stupid company

Offline Irnogs

• Chibi
stoopid half life2
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2005, 11:21:06 am »
<--- 3rd year CS major by the way...

I stand by what I said as well. Minimum requirements are not enough. You would have to shut ALL of the programs in the background as Dustin said for the minimum requirements to be sufficient to even install it (often times problems occur when people forget to shut off AV programs and such during installs). Then any sort of driver issues would make even that insufficient. I would ALWAYS suggest at LEAST another 64megs of ram above the min requirements and always make sure you still have plenty of extra HDD space as well. Also make sure that you have the latest drivers for your video card and make sure you have your bios up to date (a good idea regardless of what you're running) these kinds of things can make a big difference and lots of people neglect to do it. I would also NOT reccomend this game if you're running integrated graphics.

I have seen plenty of people install this game w/o issue, including a friend of mine that has a crappy Compaq that was loaded w/viruses when he installed it (I only found out that he had them because MY AV program notified me of them since he was on the network he then installed AVG and found a few thousand viruses on his machine >.<) and he hasn't had any problems with the game.

I would suspect a problem with your computer before I would suspect a problem with the software for that game. For it to run into a fatal error like that something would've had to have gone terribly wrong. Those kinds of errors are always a priority to developers to fix.

Also, stores accepting returns on games isn't as uncommon as you think. My cousin used to do that all of the time w/PC and console games as any GOOD store will value you as a customer (that will hopefully return if pleased with your previous experiences) more than one measly sale.

What exactly are the specs for your machine anyways? I would be curious to see what you're running...

Anonymous

stoopid half life2
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2005, 02:19:00 pm »
i realy don't know i barely use it, i'll ask ,thinkin about what u said, it might of been somthing my older bro left on it, hes the type "oh i need to run some programs and stuff.." then pow it dosen't have sound and we can't get on the internet any more, (i shouldn't be suprised this is the same guy who "borwed" the money i saved to go see cowboy bebop the movie, and spent it on video poker, yes it was a while a go no i haven't forgot) i do know the computs a gate way and has windoes 2000 on it i think

Offline superjaz

• Bunnygirl
stoopid half life2
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2005, 02:23:29 pm »
that was me

Offline Irnogs

• Chibi
stoopid half life2
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2005, 07:43:54 pm »
Video poker? That sucks... I bet he's got a bunch of spyware on there too then. That would DEFINITELY cause a problem.

Offline Dustin

• Catgirl
stoopid half life2
« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2005, 09:28:47 pm »
Based off of what has been said, I am willing to bet its the computer itself.

HL2 had nothing to do with it.

Offline zenix

• Chibi
stoopid half life2
« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2005, 01:34:32 am »
will it load into windows?

when was the last time anyone has ran antispyware/virus software on it?

are you on cable or dsl without a firewall or router?

Offline superjaz

• Bunnygirl
stoopid half life2
« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2005, 08:39:44 am »
no dsl, the game info said it would run with windows, funny thing is after i last posted i went to my jpn 102 class and i heard a guy talking about how half life 2 crashed his friends computer and he told me that there was a few that were faulty that got mixed, it was the cd, there was nothing that could of stoped it i just glad non of you all got the duds, anywho my older bro and some comput friends are going to try to fix it  try to look at bright side of things (like two weeks ago when i slamed the car door onto my head (not on purpase) it hurt but it was just soooo funny) and now we have xp

Offline Irnogs

• Chibi
stoopid half life2
« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2005, 01:45:22 pm »
I don't know about that. A "bad CD" is pretty unlikely. I admit that we all used Steam to get the game, but still... I've fixed so many computers that were messed up from spyware they crashed WITHOUT trying to install a huge resource intensive game. It would always be a good idea to check for spyware and viruses from time to time. I run AVG free edition, and then periodically run Adaware and Spybot (I use both since I've had each find things the other has missed, and they're both free). Even though I am the type of user that could probably tell you every proccess that's running in the background on my machine (and frequently checks task manager to make sure that's ALL that's running), even I have gotten an occasional malicious program. All it takes is visiting one site...

Offline Dustin

• Catgirl
stoopid half life2
« Reply #14 on: January 05, 2005, 09:39:02 pm »
Quote from: "Irnogs"
I don't know about that. A "bad CD" is pretty unlikely. I admit that we all used Steam to get the game, but still... I've fixed so many computers that were messed up from spyware they crashed WITHOUT trying to install a huge resource intensive game. It would always be a good idea to check for spyware and viruses from time to time. I run AVG free edition, and then periodically run Adaware and Spybot (I use both since I've had each find things the other has missed, and they're both free). Even though I am the type of user that could probably tell you every proccess that's running in the background on my machine (and frequently checks task manager to make sure that's ALL that's running), even I have gotten an occasional malicious program. All it takes is visiting one site...

Yeah, Spybot is a great program. Another good program is WinPatrol (I call it WatchDog, cuz the icon it uses is a little dog). WinPatrol will moniter your connection and let you know when things start running without you commanding them to, and it'll let you know when websites try to install spyware without you knowing, aswell as changing your settings such as your homepage. A good program for anyone to snag.

Still, it seems Irnogs and I are the only ones that realize that the whole "Bad CD" thing isn't the problem.

If it was a bad CD, you wouldn't even have been able to run the installer.

I'd be willing to bet money on that you had either a crap load of spyware hogging your resources, or he installed the game with other programs running, causing the install to mess up.

Anonymous

stoopid half life2
« Reply #15 on: January 06, 2005, 08:04:09 am »
heres where i forgot to note that i know very little termolagy when it come to computers (does it show?) so what i type and what i mean probly not same thing, we got the coputer runing with windows xp installed lost all the files we had but my little brother found a cd pics from the first kumori it was labled karls comics for some reson

Offline Ronime

• Chibi
stoopid half life2
« Reply #16 on: January 06, 2005, 02:14:30 pm »
that sounds more like a virus
beware the ronime XD

Whats the point in being the director if i cant be evil dictator every once in a while?

Offline Irnogs

• Chibi
stoopid half life2
« Reply #17 on: January 07, 2005, 03:58:40 pm »
Of course the difference between spyware and viruses is minimal, unless you want to get technical as they more closely imitate trojans which technically aren't viruses because they lack self replicating features, but I won't get into all of that now... ;)

Offline Ronime

• Chibi
stoopid half life2
« Reply #18 on: January 08, 2005, 12:16:15 pm »
lol, i meant more towards the fine name changing... oh, and speaking of virus's... watch out for the new year virus... always one every year
beware the ronime XD

Offline zenix

• Chibi
stoopid half life2
« Reply #19 on: January 13, 2005, 03:08:28 pm »
giant antispyware i have had it pick up stuff spybot and adware missed
or the microsoft beta one which is just giant with a microsoft logo

please please run antispyware/antivirus before u try to blame a cd