Author Topic: Ask the Portland Otaku  (Read 49539 times)

TomtheFanboy

Ask the Portland Otaku
« on: May 05, 2004, 02:17:48 pm »
As Blackjack has made aparent in her thread there are people in Portland already. If you are from out of town and have questions about the city ask us!

I for one have been trying to help out in whatever way possible since I had no way of participating in the planning meetings in Eugene. So please, What do you guys wanna know?

I think that one of the most important bits of information for con-goers is that the Number 54 tri-Met bus goes right past the Marriott's Southwest corner. The 54 is the bus that snakes through the west hills to Beaverton where there are thre beacons of anime fandom. Animenia, an asian video store. Uwajimaya, an Asian grocery store with a bookstore and sushi restaurant inside. Finally there's my favorite, Noodle me, the best Ramen restaurant I've ever been to.

So try and find some time at the con to take the bus out there and enjoy the authentic cuisine and eye-popping variety these stores offer!

-Tom the Fanboy
Enthusiasm over Accuracy!

Offline zenix

• Chibi
Ask the Portland Otaku
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2004, 03:26:36 pm »
o yeah Uwajimaya rocks

pocky!

Offline Kei-Kei

• Chibi
Ask the Portland Otaku
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2004, 04:41:42 pm »
I live just outside Beaverton and (I hate to admit this) haven't been to Animenia. What kind of stuff do they have? Uwajimaya is heaven!!

[size=9]"I laughed, I cried, I died; inside."[/size]

Offline Stiffler

• Sailor Scout
    • http://24.20.135.157
Ask the Portland Otaku
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2004, 05:21:11 pm »
I was at the Japanese Gardens, Iwojimaya, and Todai today, it is the Perfect Portland escape to Japan

Offline alanna_liadon

• Cabbit
Ask the Portland Otaku
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2004, 09:01:35 pm »
"Just Be Toys" is also a fun otaku place - NW 5th Ave & Couch St, on several bus lines.  They have Pocky, Figurines, videos for rent and purchase (many straight from Japan), and also comic-book type stuff.  I think that's the closest Pocky location not including the dealer's room.  

Todai's has good food but it is a little expensive; depends how much you can get out of "all you can eat" - go hungry!
~ Alanna =^_^=

TomtheFanboy

Ask the Portland Otaku
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2004, 10:13:22 pm »
OK guys, we know and love these places but we should at least TRY and answer the one question posted so far.

Animenia has a ton of Japanese (I think they might have other languages but I couldn't tell you) movies on tape for rent. They have a small amount of anime to buy but it's mostly in Japanese. They have a nice sub/dub anime section that even has movies that aren't animated! They also have a hentai section that has almost as much animation as live action.... not that I'VE rented any....

Anyway, it's just a cool place to look at even if you're just coming for the convention. Honestly it's not that useful if you're just in town for the weekend but if you make the trip to Uwajimaya and Noodle me it's worth walking the two doors down to see what you're missing by not living here.

Offline Kei-Kei

• Chibi
Ask the Portland Otaku
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2004, 10:25:06 pm »
There's also a Sanrio store in Beaverton, at Cedar Hills Crossing. (Formerly Beaverton mall) They have a TOn of Hello Kitty and stuff and some anime. Wallscrolls, stationry and the occasional toy or figure. Some dvd's and music too. Mostly Yu-Gi-oh, Dragon Ball Z, some Rurouni Kenshin and Sailor Moon. They might have others. Haven't been by in a whwile.

Offline staze

• Founder
  • Catgirl
    • http://www.staze.org/
Ask the Portland Otaku
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2004, 10:47:43 pm »
lol, that store is owned by a friend of Druihd's and mine.  They will be at the convention in the dealer room, baring unforseen events.
-Staze
Founding Member, Altonimbus Entertainment
"You mean, you'll put down your rock and I'll put down my sword, and we'll try and kill each other like civilized people?"

Offline zenix

• Chibi
Ask the Portland Otaku
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2004, 02:27:19 am »
i live in aloha (right next to beaverton) and i havent ever been to Animenia anyone got an address?

protland closes at 9 cept if your over 21 :lol:

Offline Lysanna

• Cabbit
    • Crappy DeviantArt
Ask the Portland Otaku
« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2004, 03:53:59 am »
It's in the shopping center with Target, across the street from Fantasy Video, and down the street from Home Depot.

Damn that Target.

/worked there and got treated like crap
Can't stop the desu.

Offline princessfrodo

• Catgirl
Ask the Portland Otaku
« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2004, 07:12:42 pm »
.......Todai......

There's a Todai!?  WOOT!!!!!

All you can eat Udon bar here I come! ^.^

I'm hitting the Todai in Redmond this weekend with friends..... I like udon too much. ^.^;
No, I'm not insane.  I'm just... happy.

Offline staze

• Founder
  • Catgirl
    • http://www.staze.org/
Ask the Portland Otaku
« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2004, 09:28:59 pm »
There is a Todai... and it's pretty close.. about 5 blocks.
-Staze
Founding Member, Altonimbus Entertainment
"You mean, you'll put down your rock and I'll put down my sword, and we'll try and kill each other like civilized people?"

Offline Kei-Kei

• Chibi
Ask the Portland Otaku
« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2004, 12:57:50 am »
Does Todai have a website.. possibly? Nevermind. I'll just go downtown and grab a menu. All of my group going except for one of us likes Sushi and the likes.

Offline princessfrodo

• Catgirl
Ask the Portland Otaku
« Reply #13 on: May 07, 2004, 06:20:08 am »
Todai doesn't really have a menu.  It's an all you can eat Japanese buffet resteraunt.  They have udon, cheesecake, tempura, yakisoba, all types of sushi (usually depends upon the season), and tons of other stuff I'm probably forgetting to mention, but it's really good.

Does the one in Portland have Ramune?

Offline Lysanna

• Cabbit
    • Crappy DeviantArt
Ask the Portland Otaku
« Reply #14 on: May 07, 2004, 09:06:31 am »
Yes, there is a website.

I forget what it is, but Google for it.  There is a semi-complete menu.  I go there when I need to make myself hungry.  ;~;
Can't stop the desu.

Offline EvilMonkey

• Founder
  • Catgirl
    • http://evilmonkeysean.livejournal.com
Ask the Portland Otaku
« Reply #15 on: May 07, 2004, 09:27:16 am »
I was just given a stack of Portland information, including a menu for Todai, it lists some of the entrees, sushi, desserts, etc.  I'll see what I can do about getting several of these things online so that people can start planning.
~Sean Larson~

Offline Stiffler

• Sailor Scout
Ask the Portland Otaku
« Reply #16 on: May 07, 2004, 03:02:44 pm »
Thats going to be quite difficult because Todai's menu stays the same for the most part but some things change every week

Offline EvilMonkey

• Founder
  • Catgirl
Ask the Portland Otaku
« Reply #17 on: May 08, 2004, 01:32:34 am »
Well, the menu I have for Todai's is a sampler in itself, there are no prices listed.  Plus, I'm working on a solution so that people may not need to travel as far for sushi, or even have to stick with the All-You-Can-Eat philosiphy.
~Sean Larson~

Offline TomtheFanboy

• Bunnygirl
    • Twitter
    • Kumoricon Archives
Ask the Portland Otaku
« Reply #18 on: May 12, 2004, 09:21:59 pm »
I hope the pile of pamphlets I sent with Pezcat will come in handy!

Recently I drove from the Marriott to Uwajimaya with my girlfriend and the trip takes less than an hour. In case the Uwajimaya directions aren't clear enough here's the basics.

Follow the street out front south to I5 south.
Take the Terwilliger exit and get onto Bertha Blvd.
Bertha gradually turns into Beaverton Hillsdale Highway and there you are!

If you miss the Terwilliger exit (easy since that's one of the most perilous parts of the freeway in Portland) you can always take 217 up from the other side but it's lengthier. If you were coming in from out of town that's the way I'd suggest.
Tom the Fanboy
Passion over Pedantry!
Pocky Club President 2005-2010

Offline PezCat

• Catgirl
Ask the Portland Otaku
« Reply #19 on: May 13, 2004, 02:13:17 pm »
I believe said pile of pamphlets may actually be what QEvil got... I dropped that stuff off at the last meeting...

PezCat
Sixty pounds lighter, just as awesome.
2K3-2K7: Various staff, primarily RPGs and Registration
2K12: God only knows...

=^..^=

Offline superjaz

• Bunnygirl
Ask the Portland Otaku
« Reply #20 on: May 14, 2004, 06:59:18 am »
its funny i live in portland and love anime but i haven't been to any of these places :cry:  i feel so deprived
superjaz, that is jaz with one z count'um ONE z!
Proud mom of 2 awesome kids

Offline comter

• Oni
    • http://www.comter.org
Ask the Portland Otaku
« Reply #21 on: May 14, 2004, 02:02:11 pm »
And for those looking for addresses...

Todai
http://www.todai.com
340 SW Morrison St., #4305
Portland, OR 97204
Tel: (503) 294-0007
No prices are listed although there is a complete online menu (barring seasonal items).

Noodle Me
http://portland.diningguide.net/data/d100274.htm
10761 SW Beaverton-Hillsdale Hwy
Beaverton, OR 97005
Tel: 503-641-8054

Animenia
10773 SW Beaverton-Hillsdale Hwy,
Beaverton, OR 97005
Tel: 503-646-9298

Uwajimaya
http://www.uwajimaya.com
10500 SW Beaverton-Hillsdale Hwy
Beaverton, OR 97005
Tel: 503.643.4512

And in other news, Google is a good thing. ^_^
I'm actually fairly new to the Portland area and so I haven't been to any of these places yet..I think I'll make an afternoon of it today.

Trimet (http://www.trimet.org) can tell you what stop on 54 to get off at.

-the purring dork
:: The Tube is Civilization ::

Offline princessfrodo

• Catgirl
Ask the Portland Otaku
« Reply #22 on: May 14, 2004, 03:23:05 pm »
Noodle Me

Mmmmmmm..... udon. ^.^

Offline Stiffler

• Sailor Scout
Ask the Portland Otaku
« Reply #23 on: May 18, 2004, 10:14:39 pm »
Lunch at Todai around Noon before May 23rd meeting

Offline EvilMonkey

• Founder
  • Catgirl
Ask the Portland Otaku
« Reply #24 on: May 18, 2004, 11:29:33 pm »
thanks for spreading the word :)
~Sean Larson~

Offline princessfrodo

• Catgirl
Ask the Portland Otaku
« Reply #25 on: May 19, 2004, 07:56:57 am »
Mmmmmmm.... Udon..... ^.^

Offline TomtheFanboy

• Bunnygirl
    • Twitter
    • Kumoricon Archives
Ask the Portland Otaku
« Reply #26 on: May 19, 2004, 06:00:07 pm »
Sweet, I'll hafta make sure my RPG doesn't go to long Saturday night So I can be at Todai's!

I don't go downtown much so how much cash should I bring for Todai's? I know it's not as expensive as Bush Garden (heck, what is?) but how much should I need?  Also, what time would be good?

That is....  :cry:  unless you capital S staffers want to do a pre-meet to prep for us "others"?
Tom the Fanboy
Passion over Pedantry!

Offline Stiffler

• Sailor Scout
Ask the Portland Otaku
« Reply #27 on: May 19, 2004, 06:55:20 pm »
Last time I went to Todai it was 20$ a person...but that was dinner...Im not sure wether it's the same fee

Offline BlackjackGabbiani

• Bunnygirl
Ask the Portland Otaku
« Reply #28 on: May 19, 2004, 07:01:56 pm »
I think it's 14.95$ or something like that...

Offline EvilMonkey

• Founder
  • Catgirl
Ask the Portland Otaku
« Reply #29 on: May 19, 2004, 07:06:14 pm »
Yeah, I'm going to be trying to hit up Todai's around noon for sushi, all those that feel like invading, feel free to join in.
~Sean Larson~

Offline TomtheFanboy

• Bunnygirl
    • Twitter
    • Kumoricon Archives
Ask the Portland Otaku
« Reply #30 on: May 19, 2004, 08:19:27 pm »
Heh, cool.
I think I'll show up with a plan in case I can't find anything safe for me except dessert.
Hmmm..... you know I 've always meant to get my allergy checked again to see if there's something I can do.

Maybe this summer would be the time to do it.
How will I be able to pay for tests without dipping into my costume funds?!?
Hmmmm.....
Tom the Fanboy
Passion over Pedantry!

Offline DannyCat

• Cabbit
    • http://
Ask the Portland Otaku
« Reply #31 on: May 21, 2004, 07:43:06 am »
Couple decent conveyor-belt sushi places out in Beaverton, too. Marine Polis Sushiland(next to Beaverton Transit Center, and on that side of the road from Beaverton Town Center/Fred Meyer), and Star Sushi, up by Beaverton Mall(they were doing a lot of construction when last I saw it, so I'm not sure what it's across the street from, but it's over there).

Also, Sambi in Uwajimaya's fairly good. They used to have (and might still have) a really good value on a sushi lunch combo.

Offline zenix

• Chibi
Ask the Portland Otaku
« Reply #32 on: May 21, 2004, 08:56:09 am »
they dont call it beaverton mall anymore the call it ceder hills crossing (or something like that) i and everyone i know still calls it beaverton mall

Offline Kei-Kei

• Chibi
Ask the Portland Otaku
« Reply #33 on: May 21, 2004, 03:50:30 pm »
Yeah, Beaverton Mall has been renamed "Cedar Hills Crossing", and I warn you there is at the moment and I belive will be alot of construction around there come September. A huge theatre is supposed to be opening there this fall.

Offline TomtheFanboy

• Bunnygirl
    • Twitter
    • Kumoricon Archives
Ask the Portland Otaku
« Reply #34 on: May 22, 2004, 03:39:03 am »
Heh heh heh, I know a couple of businesses that were booted from the mall when that company came in. The "Crossings" are actually a national chain of malls known for their size.

One of the biggest I've been to was Great Lakes Crossing in Michigan. It's kind of creepy when you think about it, a chain of malls.

Anyway, That place across from Fred Meyer is always packed when I go by that way! I highly suggest anything that Uwajimaya has anything to do with! I love those guys!
Tom the Fanboy
Passion over Pedantry!

Offline Ryuichi

• Oni
Ask the Portland Otaku
« Reply #35 on: June 01, 2004, 06:41:36 pm »
Dude, Beaverton has a LOT of sushi places. Sushiland, Star Sushi, several I Love Sushis, et cetera, et cetera. Slightly off, but along the same lines-- anyone who likes Chinese restaurants, there are a crapload of really good ones here, too. (Mmm, Shangri-La *_*!!)
"Pika pika, Shuuichi. Pika pika todoku no da."
- Sakuma Ryuuichi; Gravitation ep13

Offline zenix

• Chibi
Ask the Portland Otaku
« Reply #36 on: June 01, 2004, 09:10:48 pm »
golden crown cost $$$$ but is well worth it

Offline TomtheFanboy

• Bunnygirl
    • Twitter
    • Kumoricon Archives
Ask the Portland Otaku
« Reply #37 on: June 02, 2004, 03:28:00 pm »
Quote from: "zenix"
golden crown cost $$$$ but is well worth it

Ah, so you get your 4 dollars worth eh?
 :lol:
Tom the Fanboy
Passion over Pedantry!

Offline Luana-neko

• Chibi
    • http://www.forefront-nw.com/Sanctuary
Ask the Portland Otaku
« Reply #38 on: June 10, 2004, 02:49:08 pm »
Speaking of good anime stores... There's also a good Things From Another World store that's just off of Canyon Rd. It's a bit hard to find if you don't know it's there. If you're at Ceadar Hills Crossing then take the main road by it south towards Beaverton Hillsdale Hwy, then turn right on Canyon. From there take the first right and it'll be on your right side.

We're getting a theater in Ceadar Hills Crossing? Cool! Westgate's just down the street, but it's really old...
Exodus: Faded Spirits
Assitant Director and Head Programmer

www.ronime.net

Do not anger the sleeping cat, for its claws are sharp and quick to slash! [img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v360/Luana-neko/Avatars/predatory.gif[/img:d8831

Offline Xella

• Cabbit
    • Twitter
    • Crazy Shirt Lady
Ask the Portland Otaku
« Reply #39 on: June 11, 2004, 08:49:17 pm »
Being as I'm coming in from out-of-town (and out-of-state), this should (hopefully) be helpful.  Yay~!

Does anyone know any sort of mode of transport from the airport (PDX/Portland International) to the hotel? Public transport, the hotel shuttle, etc. etc.) and when/if that runs on the Friday/Tuesday before/following the con? I don't know how far it is, and I really don't want to pay like... $75 in taxis to get there and back.  Because it's already going to cost $575+ in stuff I can pay for BEFORE con (plane, hotel, prereg, artist's alley) oO;;

(If it's of help, my plane's supposed to get in at 1:52 on the 3rd and I probably have to be back at the airport by 6:30 or 7:00 for an 8:20 flight back to San Jose on the 7th.  I know some things only run during rush hour or something, so...)

Offline zenix

• Chibi
Ask the Portland Otaku
« Reply #40 on: June 11, 2004, 09:03:50 pm »
there a max line running from the airport to a downtown im not sure if u will have to transfer to another max to get closer to the hotel

but they run quick about 10-15 mins its cheap to like 1.30 im not sure what the max stop by the hotel is but its about 5 blocks from it

Offline antibishie

• Sailor Scout
    • http://www.antibishie.com
Ask the Portland Otaku
« Reply #41 on: June 12, 2004, 03:46:10 am »
Quote from: "zenix"
there a max line running from the airport to a downtown im not sure if u will have to transfer to another max to get closer to the hotel
 but they run quick about 10-15 mins its cheap to like 1.30 im not sure what the max stop by the hotel is but its about 5 blocks from it

Actually, I you'll really need to buy one of the "All Zone" tickets to get all the way in from the airport.  Those are $1.60.  And you'd just ride the Red Line from the airport to downtown.  After that, though....

I do know that you could get off at Galleria/SW 10th stop, walk up the road a block and catch the Streetcar further downtown... the stop where the Streetcar turns around is only about 4 blocks away from the hotel.  It doesn't really look like there are any buses that go to that particular block; though I could be wrong, of course.

I'd suggest visiting TriMet's Website to work out most of the details for yourself.

Hmmm... perhaps I'll hop over to the hotel sometime and check out what bus comes closest to it.  I know what it's like to fly in to a convention and it's always helpful to know the best public transportation options....  *nod nod*
-----
Jeremy Forbes
"You have much YAOI-esque-ness here...!"
http://www.antibishie.com

Offline TomtheFanboy

• Bunnygirl
    • Twitter
    • Kumoricon Archives
Ask the Portland Otaku
« Reply #42 on: June 13, 2004, 11:21:18 am »
If you are willing to walk about 5 blocks from the MAX you can just get off at the Yamhill stop. Here's a downtown bus map, that I suggest everyone from out of town download, print out, and carry in their back pocket.

Yamhill is the last stop before the MAX follows the river towards the bridge. If you're coming from the airport the stop is the first one after the MAX turns AWAY from the river. It'll be clearly labelled. Unfotrunately the Portland Streetcar doesn't get you much closer since it loops aroun to be five blocks away from the OTHER side of the Marriott, that walk would be downhill though!

If you want to bus the rest of the way you want to go a couple more stops to the transit mall. The thing is there'll only be two routes going near the hotel, route 54 (to Uwajimaya!  :D ) and route 56 because the others are only rush hour buses for weekdays. These will take you to the corner of 2nd Avenue and Market Street. This is one diagonal block (two walking) from the hotel.

The bus routes do come right next to the hotel, but only on the way BACK into Portland. This means that when you come BACK from Uwajimaya you won't have to walk that far with your mountains of Pocky.

Hmmm... somebody should warn Uwajimaya that we're coming!
Tom the Fanboy
Passion over Pedantry!

Offline Luana-neko

• Chibi
    • http://www.forefront-nw.com/Sanctuary
Ask the Portland Otaku
« Reply #43 on: June 14, 2004, 08:26:37 am »
Hee hee, maybe if we had posters for the con we could ask the people at Uwajimaya to put them up? That way not only would they get warned, but it would also get publicity for the con. In return, maybe we could get some Uwajimaya flyers for the con to hand out?
Exodus: Faded Spirits
Assitant Director and Head Programmer

www.ronime.net

Do not anger the sleeping cat, for its claws are sharp and quick to slash! [img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v360/Luana-neko/Avatars/predatory.gif[/img:d8831

Offline zenix

• Chibi
Ask the Portland Otaku
« Reply #44 on: June 14, 2004, 09:36:44 am »
im guessing they alrdy know

Offline YariChuu

• Sailor Scout
Westgate
« Reply #45 on: July 07, 2004, 12:54:24 pm »
Quote from: "Luana-neko"

We're getting a theater in Ceadar Hills Crossing? Cool! Westgate's just down the street, but it's really old...

;_;  Nuuuuu! I like the Westgate! I had my first kiss there! ~.~;;;;; *sobble*
No No Four times no I'm not your daughter!

Offline TomtheFanboy

• Bunnygirl
    • Twitter
    • Kumoricon Archives
Ask the Portland Otaku
« Reply #46 on: July 08, 2004, 09:30:06 pm »
Quote from: "Luana-neko"
Hee hee, maybe if we had posters for the con we could ask the people at Uwajimaya to put them up? That way not only would they get warned, but it would also get publicity for the con. In return, maybe we could get some Uwajimaya flyers for the con to hand out?

I'm going to be dropping some of the color flyers off there and asking them to have some in Kinokuniya as well. If we could get them as a merchant or asponsor the con would be MADE.

I KNOW Kinokuniya does conventions, I was referred to their booth when shopping at the San Diego Comic-Con.
Tom the Fanboy
Passion over Pedantry!