Author Topic: Asian disaster....talk about it here  (Read 4327 times)

Offline hikaru_maxwell

• Catgirl
Asian disaster....talk about it here
« on: December 28, 2004, 12:02:09 pm »
I need to talk about this...because I feel...so powerless.  I love asia...it's been the target of my attention for years....and now this happens...

I feel like I can't do anything but pray....urg...

The number of people who died is up to 59,000 now....*cries*

Asia Disaster Yields Its Dead, Toll at 59,000
Tue Dec 28, 2004 02:04 PM ET

By David Fox
GALLE, Sri Lanka (Reuters) - The sea and wreckage of coastal towns around the Indian Ocean yielded up tens of thousands of bodies on Tuesday, pushing the toll from Sunday's tsunami close to 60,000.

The apocalyptic destruction caused by the ocean surge dwarfed the efforts of governments and relief agencies as they recovered countless corpses while trying to treat survivors and take care of millions of homeless, increasingly threatened by disease amid the rotting corpses. Thousands more were injured.

The United Nations launched what it called an unprecedented relief effort to assist nations hit by a devastating tsunami triggered by a magnitude 9.0 undersea earthquake off the Indonesian island of Sumatra.

In a further threat to the region, disease could kill as many people as those killed by the wall of water, a top World Health Organization (WHO) official said.

While grieving families in wrecked coastal towns and resorts buried their loved ones, others, including many foreign tourists, looked for friends and relatives still missing.

"Why did you do this to us, God?" wailed an old woman in a devastated fishing village in southern India's Tamil Nadu state. "What did we do to upset you? This is worse than death."

In Thailand, where thousands of tourists were enjoying a Christmas break to escape the northern winter, many of the country's paradise resorts were turned into graveyards.

In a French-run hotel at Khao Lak on the Thai mainland north of the island of Phuket, up to half the 415 guests were believed killed. A reporter from France's Europe 1 radio said many bodies had been found in their rooms.

"The army is still bringing out bodies from the rooms, because most of the tourists and staff of the hotel who were there were trapped by the wave which completely swamped this hotel," reporter Anthony Dufour said.

"The enormity of the disaster is unbelievable," said Bekele Geleta, head of the International Federation of Red Cross and Red Crescent Societies (IFRC) in Southeast Asia.

In Sri Lanka, hundreds of people were killed when the wave crashed into a train, wrecking eight carriages and uprooting the track it was traveling on. The train was called "Sea Queen."

Of the overall death toll so far of 59,186, Indonesia has suffered the biggest number of victims, with its Health Ministry reporting 27,174 dead while Sri Lanka reported around 19,000.

India's toll of 11,500 included at least 7,000 on one archipelago, the Andamans and Nicobar. On one island, the surge of water killed two-thirds of the population.

Hundreds of others died in the Maldives, Myanmar and Malaysia. The arc of water struck as far as Somalia and Kenya. Fishing villages, ports and resorts were devastated, power and communications cut and homes destroyed. The United Nations said the cost of the damage will reach billions of dollars.

The tremor, the biggest in 40 years, tore a chasm in the sea bed which launched the tsunami, which appeared to be the deadliest in more than 200 years.

A tsunami at Krakatoa in 1883 killed 36,000 and one in the south China Sea in 1782 40,000, according to the National Geophysical Data Center in the United States.

TEARS FOR A MOTHER

In northern Indonesia's remote Aceh region, closest to the epicenter, bodies littered the streets. About 1,000 people lay on a sports field where they were killed when the three-story-high wall of water struck.

"My son is crying for his mother," said Bejkhajorn Saithong, 39, searching for his wife at a wrecked hotel on the beach. Body parts jutted from the wreckage.

"I think this is her," he said. "I recognize her hand, but I'm not sure."

At the Thai holiday resort of Phuket, foreign tourists pored over names on hospital lists and peered at 80 hospital photos of swollen, unidentified bodies.

"My father was not there," said German yacht skipper Jerzy Chojnowski, who was looking for his 83-year-old father, missing since the tsunami struck. "My father was not a good swimmer."

Many of the bodies were already decomposing in the heat, underlining the growing health risk.

Relief teams and rescuers flew into the region from around the globe to help in what the United Nations said will be the biggest and costliest relief effort in its history.

Gerhard Berz, a top risk researcher at Munich Re, the world's largest reinsurer, estimated the economic cost of the devastation at over $13 billion.

More than 20 countries have pledged emergency aid worth more than $60 million. Several Asian nations have sent naval ships carrying supplies and doctors to devastated areas.

In Geneva, the WHO's Dr David Nabarro said it was vital to rush medicine and fresh water to the worst-hit countries to prevent further catastrophe.

"There is certainly a chance that we could have as many dying from communicable diseases as from the tsunami," Nabarro told a news conference.

There was a serious risk of an explosion of malaria and dengue fever, already endemic in southeast Asia, he said.

Around the ring of devastation, Sweden reported 1,500 citizens missing, the Czech Republic almost 400, Finland 200 and Italy and Germany 100.

Jan Egeland, head of the U.N. Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs, said:

"We cannot fathom the cost of these poor societies and the nameless fishermen and fishing villages ... that have just been wiped out. Hundreds of thousands of livelihoods have gone."

Around Sri Lanka's southern coasts about 1.5 million people -- or one in 12 of the population -- were homeless, many sheltering in Buddhist temples and schools.

In Aceh, Lieutenant-Colonel Budi Santoso said: "Many bodies are still lying on the streets. There just aren't enough body bags."

On the island of Chowra in the Andaman and Nicobar islands, rescuers found only 500 survivors from 1,500 residents. A hundred air force officers and their families vanished from one island base.

Authorities said at least 7,000 people were confirmed or presumed dead in the group of more than 550 islands.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

All rights reserved. Users may download and print extracts of content from this website for their own personal and non-commercial use only. Republication or redistribution of Reuters content, including by framing or similar means, is expressly prohibited without the prior written consent of Reuters. Reuters and the Reuters sphere logo are registered trademarks or trademarks of the Reuters group of companies around the world.
© Reuters 2004

~*~Member of Cannot Unsee~*~

Offline RemSaverem

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2004, 01:37:10 pm »
a couple girls i'm friends with are somewhere in java

prayers out to all concerned

i do not consider it overstatement that the word apocalyptic is used in this article

there undoubtedly will be more found dead

there undoubtedly will be more insane calamities and many will be caused by humans' deliberate reckelessness with the earth--most emphatically, the overconsumption of this nation, and the overpopulation in others

disease and famine resulting from these disasters will doubtless double or triple the death tolls

i'm despondent

thank you for posting this info max
Ellen. 2003: Fanfic panelist & contest judge.
2004: Beta Station Coord. 2005: Fan Creation Station Coord.;pre-event assistant to the con chair.2006: Fanfic Mgr/C.S. Coord.
2007, 8, 9, 10: Fan Creation Manager. 2011: Writing & Editing Coord (Publicity).

Offline sassy_lassy

• Chibi
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2004, 08:19:46 pm »
It's terrible...

The death toll is now at 63,000  and still counting.  And now the risk of people dying from diseases is increased because the hospital is overloaded.
Sweet Times

Offline sukotto

• Cabbit
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2004, 12:34:24 pm »
The Death Toll Is Now over 70,000 and there expecting over 100,000 and more will probaly die from diesease and contaimnated water.

Offline BigGuy

• Catgirl
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2004, 04:18:49 pm »
I read that several Marine ships were being deployed , seven that could make almost 100 thousand gallons of fresh water a day and one with 500 hospital beds. When the ships get there they should help out a lot. It's a terrible diaster, people are coming from all over to help. I ran out of things to say, hopefully it gets better more than worse.
And now I'm a catgirl?

The voice of the one I love
was all I could hear as I lay broken in the darkness
My own voice faltered
My wings no longer had the strength to fly
 -Lagoon Engine Einsatz-

Offline hikaru_maxwell

• Catgirl
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2004, 11:27:14 pm »
I'm worried more now than ever....the toll is nearing 126,000, there's still no contact from the Andaman Islands....they haven't gotten to all of the areas affected.....

this is very sad.....and I wish there was something more I could do....

~*~Member of Cannot Unsee~*~

Offline Aurora

• Chibi
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2005, 06:21:53 pm »
It's so sad, the number just keep on going up... :(

Offline RemSaverem

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2005, 01:09:30 pm »
my cousin was in thailand on the third floor of a resort the first floor of which was wiped out and then filled body bags may all those martyred rest in peace.
Ellen. 2003: Fanfic panelist & contest judge.
2004: Beta Station Coord. 2005: Fan Creation Station Coord.;pre-event assistant to the con chair.2006: Fanfic Mgr/C.S. Coord.
2007, 8, 9, 10: Fan Creation Manager. 2011: Writing & Editing Coord (Publicity).