Author Topic: Rock Band 2  (Read 12601 times)

Offline allstarsniper32

• Chibi
Rock Band 2
« on: September 19, 2008, 11:58:34 am »
I decided I should start a thread so we can all talk about how awesome Rock Band 2 is! I gotta say my favorite song on it is Chop Suey!! but it is definitely full of awesome songs, I don't own it yet but I got to borrow it for a night and played it for about 3 hours straight with my dad, complaining the whole time about not being able to play songs that he knows, I told him to shut up and hit the drums!

Offline laurifer

• Catgirl
Re: Rock Band 2
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2008, 12:12:58 pm »
The Offspring FTW! I LOVE singing that song hahaha

Sig by me~~~

Cosplay for '08:
Probably none D:

Offline grapesoda

• Oni
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2008, 01:05:25 pm »
I played it last week with some friends I met at kumoricon.  Wow, its fun!  I almost want to switch from guitar hero to rock band.

Offline laurifer

• Catgirl
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2008, 04:10:01 pm »
I played it last week with some friends I met at kumoricon.  Wow, its fun!  I almost want to switch from guitar hero to rock band.

Do it! It's not as boring when you rotate round-robin style (taking turns or rotation in and out with instruments):)

Sig by me~~~

Cosplay for '08:
Probably none D:

Offline DancingTofu

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2008, 08:49:23 pm »
Switching it up is way cooler with actual instruments.  Ever seen Neil Pert play the Bass?
moderators gonna moderate </shrug>

Offline laurifer

• Catgirl
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2008, 08:57:58 pm »
I'm sure that's more epic, but I'm just saying it's fun and fair for everyone who's playing

Sig by me~~~

Cosplay for '08:
Probably none D:

Offline DancingTofu

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2008, 10:23:20 pm »
Yeah.  Definitely.

I have a little grudge against Rock Band because there's no MIDI module, despite the fact that it would be UNBELIEVABLY EASY and make both drums and keys INFINITELY BETTER.

Offline allstarsniper32

• Chibi
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2008, 01:03:05 am »
if GH screws up bad with World Tour I'll switch to Rock Band permanently. I was playing through and I don't think there's a single song I don't like on the RB2 setlist but looking over the GH one makes me extremely disappointed. I just wish RB2 had a better character creation, oh well the gameplay and songs rock and when I was playing for 3 hours straight I just wanted to unlock the AC/DC song, I did and it made my right arm burn, felt good! I swear when I go to a con when the next GH is out and someone plays Beat It I'm going to be extremely tempted to break my guitar on their head!

Offline DancingTofu

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2008, 01:28:52 am »
Don't do that!  Use a 2x4 instead!  Those cost less. :P

Offline allstarsniper32

• Chibi
« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2008, 01:31:04 am »
True, but one of my guitars doesn't work anymore anywas so.... BEAT THIS!!!

Offline DancingTofu

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2008, 01:38:22 am »
Might be able to fix it for you.  What's broken on it?

Offline allstarsniper32

• Chibi
« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2008, 01:44:03 am »
The green button doesn't work. I checked the connector thingys and one of them doesn't "pop" up, it kinda gets stuck half way, I hear you can sauder(I don't know how to spell that) but I don't know how to and I don't want to mess it up beyond repair. might not break if I hit someone on the head with it  :P. I'd have no problem in letting you tinker with it but I don't live anywhere near Oregon so I'd have no way to get it to you. Now that I think about it the Orange button on my areosmith controller sometimes cuts out too, I have no idea why that one does that.

Offline grapesoda

• Oni
« Reply #12 on: September 20, 2008, 02:04:42 am »
I can solder it for you.  I've done it on multiple guitars.  If you're in the Vancouver area give me a PM.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2008, 02:05:36 am by grapesoda »

Offline allstarsniper32

• Chibi
« Reply #13 on: September 20, 2008, 02:08:24 am »
the closest I'm getting to Vancouver is when I move to Tacoma then I'm going to hopefully go to Mewcon, I think that's in Vancouver.

Offline KogaRyu

• Catgirl
« Reply #14 on: September 20, 2008, 03:40:11 am »
awwright my lil bro picked it up!!
Team Koga

Offline allstarsniper32

• Chibi
« Reply #15 on: September 20, 2008, 06:51:17 am »
Sweet! lucky you get to play it. It's fun as all hell! Since this is kinda late I forgot to say how sweet I also think The Offspring is! not either of my two favorite songs but I like most of their songs so it's still awesome to play! I'm digging all the metal they have in there and some Tenacious D is always a good thing!

Offline sdwashu

• Cabbit
« Reply #16 on: September 23, 2008, 02:42:24 pm »
I've been playing Rock Band 2 excessively since it came out. The most important thing I think its done is fix latency calibration forever. The new guitars work amazingly well for setting your latency and my scores have improved immensely since I can actually hit with the music and not constantly futz with the latency being moody (or me whichever). The song list is great and at this point with almost 450 tracks available its really hard to think about GHWT. I mean GHWT def has some things going for it but my rock band investment is really pretty serious at this point so it would have to be one hell of a game to get me away.

Also the Ion drumset is AMAZING. If you are a serious drummer and can afford to purchase it... just do it, you'll be very happy you did. =D

Offline DancingTofu

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #17 on: September 23, 2008, 05:42:09 pm »
450 tracks?  That's pretty good DLC; they should really advertise things like that. :P  I always laugh when I hear "Over 40 tracks" and stuff like that, because that's a stupidly small songlist, considering that most Bemani games have over 80 on the homeversions and 200-600 on the arcade versions.

Offline allstarsniper32

• Chibi
« Reply #18 on: September 23, 2008, 07:11:54 pm »
They do kinda advertise it, It says someplace on the box and on the commercials about there being over 500 songs available by November I think.

I got to play RB 2 again today! Man I would so buy that drum set but I can't afford a $5 used game from Gamestop.

I posted sometime ago about not liking the GH:WT setlist but I listened to all the songs I didn't know what they were and I was impressed with how many of them I think I would like if I listened to them more. I guess I just gotta wait until I play them both.

I hope I can borrow RB2 tonight so I can play it some more.

Offline superjaz

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #19 on: September 23, 2008, 08:23:08 pm »
not yet out for our system but we will wait
superjaz, that is jaz with one z count'um ONE z!
Proud mom of 2 awesome kids

Offline allstarsniper32

• Chibi
« Reply #20 on: September 24, 2008, 02:05:25 am »
you don't need a keyboard to play techno, GH III proved you can use the guitar controller for synth parts.

I got to borrow RB 2 until Friday! I'm so going to play the **** out of it! I only have a few challenges left, hopefully I can get all the songs when that happens. ok sleep time for me.

Offline Bob

• Chibi
« Reply #21 on: September 24, 2008, 03:28:38 pm »
damn it. I'm saving up to buy a guitar for my girl, now its gonna take longer to get RB2. but once I do, see yall on XBLive!
If I had've known that people would call me my forum name at the con, I wouldn't of picked something so dumb.

Offline allstarsniper32

• Chibi
« Reply #22 on: September 24, 2008, 08:15:54 pm »
man, I hate paying for Live, wish I had a PS3.

Offline Bob

• Chibi
« Reply #23 on: September 24, 2008, 08:45:06 pm »
I'd say its pretty cheap. 20 for 3 months aint bad at all. or 50 for 13 months.
If I had've known that people would call me my forum name at the con, I wouldn't of picked something so dumb.

Offline allstarsniper32

• Chibi
« Reply #24 on: September 25, 2008, 11:45:16 am »
MIDI?

Yeah it's really not that expensive but when you see that PS3 and Wii are free, that makes it expensive because it "costs".

I've been playing this so much, I'm pretty sure I got all the hard songs, I don't know about the easy ones though. I finally get to play Panic Attack though (I think that's what it's called) the Dream Theater song. So many good songs but before I play that I have some things to do in Animal Crossing.

Offline TanisNikana

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #25 on: September 27, 2008, 10:08:27 pm »
I started in on Rock Band 2 tonight, and it was pretty cool, though a bit unforgiving.

Offline allstarsniper32

• Chibi
« Reply #26 on: September 28, 2008, 12:05:19 pm »
Yeah they've upped the difficulty quite a bit. but I don't mind that at all, the more challenge the better, especially since they have a bunch of songs that are actually fun on the bass.

Offline TomtheFanboy

• Bunnygirl
    • Twitter
    • Kumoricon Archives
« Reply #27 on: September 30, 2008, 09:26:49 am »
I heard AC/DC and I heard angels singing.

I have been wanting to play AC/DC since GH1.
Now the chance to sing it is even more exciting. Bummer it takes so long to unlock.

Wheres the base songlist (too lazy for google fu)?
Tom the Fanboy
Passion over Pedantry!
Pocky Club President 2005-2010

Offline Daxe

• Chibi
    • my myspace
« Reply #28 on: September 30, 2008, 03:45:35 pm »
Im so glad they added Journey!

Offline sdwashu

• Cabbit
« Reply #29 on: October 01, 2008, 04:39:54 pm »
Man I must be crazy because here I was disappointed with the difficulty of RB2. I was expecting Visions to kill me on Guitar but I was able to get through it with little effort, still haven't 5 starred it though. Most of the upper tier songs on guitar are kinda blah. Drums are still challenging but I guess that's because I'm still meh at drums. But overall I was disappointed, they seem to be releasing the really hard songs as DLC. At least they're releasing them somewhere.

Huzzah for the Peace sells album, Roadrunner pack, and the All That Remains 3 pack. =D

Offline melchizedek

• Bunnygirl
    • Don't play with fire
« Reply #30 on: October 04, 2008, 02:49:20 am »
I have to wait til november to get it :(
Yaoi crossplay... is actually Yuri.

Offline paprika

• Chibi
« Reply #31 on: October 10, 2008, 01:19:15 pm »
I played it at my friend's house last weekend for well over 10 hours. Not straight, though.
I loved it, there are a lot of good songs on it that I've found love for, or already loved.
Like One Way or Another by Blondie, or White Wedding by Billy Idol.

It, as well as a 360 are on the top of my list this year. My parents said "Maybe" so I'm hoping.
: ]

I've been having weird withdrawals. Aha.

TomtheFanboy: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_songs_in_Rock_Band_2
There you go~

Offline TomtheFanboy

• Bunnygirl
    • Twitter
    • Kumoricon Archives
« Reply #32 on: October 10, 2008, 01:48:57 pm »
TomtheFanboy: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_songs_in_Rock_Band_2
There you go~[/sup]

SANK YU!

*readreadread*

OMG! Where's Freezepop!?!?!?! ONOZ!!!
« Last Edit: October 10, 2008, 01:50:52 pm by TomtheFanboy »
Tom the Fanboy
Passion over Pedantry!

Offline allstarsniper32

• Chibi
« Reply #33 on: October 14, 2008, 05:51:36 pm »
Yeah I don't know why freezepop wasn't in the game, oh well it has so many good songs. I've finally played all the Impossible songs on guitar, it was fun!

Offline sdwashu

• Cabbit
« Reply #34 on: October 28, 2008, 11:46:56 am »
Yeah I don't know why freezepop wasn't in the game, oh well it has so many good songs. I've finally played all the Impossible songs on guitar, it was fun!

I believe I read an article that said they didn't actually get paid for the previous songs in GH/RB and that they wanted money this time around. I forgot to ask them when I talked to them at their show in PDX. But basically they opted out this time around. They did put a song in GHOT for the DS though and I believe they did get paid for that one. Hopefully we'll see more Freezepop content as DLC though. =D

Offline allstarsniper32

• Chibi
« Reply #35 on: October 29, 2008, 01:16:03 am »
I hate to say but there's no way Activision won't pay to have something that seems like it used to follow harmonix. I hate companies like Activision and EA but they put out so many games that I would like it's hard not to buy them. ahh I love Japanese based video companies!

Offline I Future Trunks I

• Cabbit
« Reply #36 on: October 29, 2008, 03:09:23 pm »
ITS THE EYE OF THE TIGER ITS THE THRILL OF THE FIGHT!!
W00t... i like dis game...
MY COSPLAYS FOR KCON '09!
 MAH COSPLAYS FOR KCON '09
Toshiro Hitsugaya FROM BLEACH
Teen Sora from KINGDOM HEARTS
Mirai no Trunks from Doragon Ball Zetto
AND..of course... Lan Hikari from Megaman NT warrior!

Offline allstarsniper32

• Chibi
« Reply #37 on: November 04, 2008, 11:50:58 am »
I hope people don't play that song all the time. I already don't like it all that much but hopefully it won't be played like sweet child O' mine was on GH2. now I can barely listen to it very much. but to each his own, as long as it's fun for you. I wanna see if someone at the con can play the drums on expert on Visions.

Offline I Future Trunks I

• Cabbit
« Reply #38 on: November 04, 2008, 11:53:52 am »
oh.. well I just did Vocals and Guitar on Expert on Master Exploder by Tenacious D... now you know i have no life...
MY COSPLAYS FOR KCON '09!
 MAH COSPLAYS FOR KCON '09
Toshiro Hitsugaya FROM BLEACH
Teen Sora from KINGDOM HEARTS
Mirai no Trunks from Doragon Ball Zetto
AND..of course... Lan Hikari from Megaman NT warrior!

Offline allstarsniper32

• Chibi
« Reply #39 on: November 04, 2008, 12:06:06 pm »
I'm not good at Master Exploder on expert guitar, I don't get the rhythm-y part down until half way through the song, then I remember that it's a short song and by then it's almost over. I haven't gotten to sing any songs on RB2 yet.

Offline TomtheFanboy

• Bunnygirl
    • Twitter
    • Kumoricon Archives
« Reply #40 on: November 04, 2008, 01:07:52 pm »
I got to play at Kumoricon Lite. PSU had it in their basement lounge. XD

It was a better game but the song list wasn't as satisfying. It felt like they were trying to be too "different" and avoid songs used elsewhere.

Anyone know if the companies have made artists/record companies sign non-competition contracts?

I am very interested in The Beatles game that has been greenlighted. That will take care of a lot of the Oldies fans out there. There is a serious lack of old fashioned rock n' roll (as in pre-classic rock), it's understandable when you look at the audience but I like oldies.

I guess I could always use the studio thing in GHWT...
Tom the Fanboy
Passion over Pedantry!

Offline allstarsniper32

• Chibi
« Reply #41 on: November 05, 2008, 12:24:54 am »
True but no vocals would make it kinda hard since most Beatles songs are magical because of their lyrics. This Beatles game you speak of, is it made by harmonix or neversoft? All I would want to do is sing or play drums on it anyways. Revolution better be on there or I might be mad lol.

Offline sdwashu

• Cabbit
« Reply #42 on: November 05, 2008, 02:23:21 pm »
When you played at kcon lite did they actually have DLC or was it just the disc content again? RB really isn't RB without a lot of the DLC they used that to fill in a lot of gaps. They do tend to use disc content for either *REALLY* popular stuff of introduction of different music.

Also unless you like MIDI versions of songs I'd avoid not wasting your time with recreating stuff in GHWT. The end results just aren't worth the effort needed.

Offline allstarsniper32

• Chibi
« Reply #43 on: November 05, 2008, 04:22:23 pm »
man if that's how songs sound when you make them then that sucks lol. I hate it when something is hyped up then doesn't deliver like advertised.

Offline DancingTofu

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #44 on: November 07, 2008, 09:40:31 pm »
Played this at Kumoricon Lite; the guitar controllers feel too small, too light, and too plastic, and the syncing seemed a little funky on some songs.  The drum controller still needs to have movable drums and a more realistic bass pedal before it's worth the money it costs, and the continued lack of judgment windows makes me unhappy.  Overall though, pretty fun.  Certainly better than DDR SuperNOVA2 and far better than DDR X.  If not for ITG2 and Pump: Pro, I'd probably quit playing dance games competitively and go ahead and master BeatMania IIDX or Guitar Hero.

Offline allstarsniper32

• Chibi
« Reply #45 on: November 08, 2008, 12:30:09 am »
You're talking about the new Guitar Hero right? I played it at Aki-con for like an hour. Sometimes the scroll thingy did seem a bit weird, the notes seemed like they didn't attach to the fret board thingy. I'll post more about this in the Guitar Hero post.

But back on topic, I won the Rock band tourny at Aki-con, the rules for this particular tourny was very...uh unique. So first of all, you could sign up as a band or individually, or in my case, both. That's the first unique part because normally for Rock Band you have people sign up as a band, with no singles. So this meant, Two bands, me in one, and and 3 singles, me also included. (oh, I asked if it was ok for someone to be in a band and to be by themselves and they said it was find and that's why I did that.) There was only 5 uh "groups" and they used the double elimination like in the GH3 tourny, only because of how few participated. oh another thing, if you were in a band each member had to be on the same difficulty and also whatever difficulty was picked by the song chooser, that's the difficulty the next person had to play on. They went by percentage, which actually worked out because it's kinda hard for a band on all expert to get and average percent as good as someone on expert bass. You could choose any instrument, you want to play this song on expert but you can only play the bass part, play it then the next person gets to play that song on expert with any instrument they want. I think that's basically it, it was very unique, to say the least, but surprisingly, it was a lot of fun.

Wow that's a lot of words I hope I explained it ok.

Offline DancingTofu

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #46 on: November 09, 2008, 11:49:39 pm »
Didn't make a lick of sense.  I'm talking about the RB2 controllers.  They're all total crap IM[NS]HO.

Offline allstarsniper32

• Chibi
« Reply #47 on: November 10, 2008, 05:43:34 pm »
Yeah I agree that the RB controllers suck, the RB2 one felt more "smooth" or somthin and the special guitar looked like it would be really nice. The nice set of drums was really awesome! metal bass pedal kicks ass and the drum pads feel great.

Offline DancingTofu

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #48 on: November 11, 2008, 01:31:44 am »
I haven't seen anything fancy and new yet, I just know that the set I used was cheap, light, and plastic.  If I wanted to play something that felt like a mandolin with pushbuttons, I'd buy Mandolin Hero.

Offline melchizedek

• Bunnygirl
    • Don't play with fire
« Reply #49 on: November 11, 2008, 06:18:14 pm »
I too had trouble warming up to the setlist at k-con lite but maybe I just need some time to mill over the songs
Yaoi crossplay... is actually Yuri.