Author Topic: Cosplay on MTV?  (Read 6881 times)

Offline nikkiolie

• It's over nine THOUSAND!!!!!
    • Facebook
Cosplay on MTV?
« on: September 14, 2008, 05:07:47 pm »
More and more people are getting into cosplay and I think this is a great way to advertise it....although in this show cosplay is the thing the girl is trying to change from....

Anyway Sayda posted this in myspace and i thought I shear it with everyone.

This is a show on MTV (one of my favorite) where people change who they are to something completely opposite (this case a cosplay to a beauty queen). Enjoy ^_^

http://mtv2.mtv.com/overdrive/?id=1592703&vid=265829

The other parts to the episode are right below the play button ^_^

Offline tofutakeout

• Bunnygirl
    • Deviantart
Re: Cosplay on MTV?
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2008, 05:37:10 pm »
ha ha sora got on tv. ^_^ This is really a cool idea. Cosplay is getting bigger but I think it's because more people get into anime. Showing more anime would be best. costumes might scare some people away. lol
da/tumblr
Pull the trigger, pull the trigger, pull the trigger. BOOM

Offline nikkiolie

• Facebook
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2008, 05:42:13 pm »
Well if the costume scare people away then they weren't cut out for anime XD (total joke).

I am on the last part of it....I can't see how this is a hard choice for the guy she wasn't to take...Adam is hot and very sweet ;D I would choose him.

*edit* MWAHAHAHAHHAHAHA >:D
« Last Edit: September 14, 2008, 05:42:52 pm by nikkiolie »

Offline tofutakeout

• Bunnygirl
    • Deviantart
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2008, 05:46:56 pm »
true true.  ;D man that was a pretty crazy episode. I'm glad they didn't call her and anime 'freak' instead of a fan. I'm okay with it but it's so judgmental. and hey having an obsession with a culture isn't a bad thing....I think. ha ha XD

I kind of want to be on made....just because.
da/tumblr

Offline nikkiolie

• Facebook
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2008, 05:50:08 pm »
wow.....its is so nice to know that we anime folk can have big dreams too *tear*

It was very good...I think one of my favorite episodes (and I have seen almost all of them)

Offline tofutakeout

• Bunnygirl
    • Deviantart
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2008, 06:23:12 pm »
I know, and that are different from the things we normally want. like the complete series of something. lol
da/tumblr

Offline nikkiolie

• Facebook
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2008, 06:32:51 pm »
.....a complete series of something isn't a big dream.....I want to be a on the US women's soccer team ;D

Can made do that for me?

Offline EveofAbyss

• Bunnygirl
    • Facebook
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2008, 06:40:09 pm »
Made won't do anything for you if you're not a trainwreck and rating-worthy, lol.

And I'm not dissing on a show you guys like, I'm dissing on the network.

Buy my book of poems!
Lord Otaku commands you!

Offline nikkiolie

• Facebook
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2008, 06:41:41 pm »
yeah i know....plus they want people that are changing completely.....I am already a decent soccer player so they would never take me v.v

Offline superjaz

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2008, 08:06:14 pm »
i have seen this before and seen it in differnt episodes, 1, where a nerdy guy wanted to be a rocker, he had on naruto wrist bands, and another i forget what she wanted but she had a tenchi wall scroll
superjaz, that is jaz with one z count'um ONE z!
Proud mom of 2 awesome kids

Offline nikkiolie

• Facebook
« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2008, 08:07:39 pm »
......well this girl is an actually cosplayer. It shows her in her costumes and she even wears them to her anime club....the other people just had anime stuff....

Offline makichan

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2008, 09:50:13 pm »
D'aaaaw those two guys are such gentlemen.
Aside from that, is it just me or did a lot of this seem really fake? I dunno. I hate reality tv. 9__9
"I like the way you fire that gun."
"Thanks. I like the way you take a bullet."

Offline ~boogiepop~

• Bunnygirl
    • Glorious Me
« Reply #12 on: September 15, 2008, 08:33:53 am »
I'm sorry if I'm an ass but...

did anyone else die laughing at that? That kids poem was horrible, I almost peed while watching that part.
WHY DO THE FORUMS SUCK SO BAD?

~2012 cosplay mofos~
Ramona Flowers- Scott Pilgrim, Miria Harvent- Baccano!, Filia- Skullgirls, Milk- Pop'n Music

Offline EveofAbyss

• Bunnygirl
    • Facebook
« Reply #13 on: September 15, 2008, 08:53:04 am »
This episode is a prime example of the problem I have with this show. A good portion of the people who go on there have perfectly normal interests and then go looking to change themselves to "fit the norm" and find friends instead of find people who accept them for who they are (and the interests they have a passion for). This girl in the episode, she wanted to be a beauty queen so that everyone would accept her, but isn't the point of being in an anime club to find people who share your common interest in anime?

It just bugs me when people choose to trade in their passions for "normalcy".  ::)

Buy my book of poems!
Lord Otaku commands you!

Offline totemo_oishii

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #14 on: September 15, 2008, 09:50:48 am »
She seems fine to me. Both looks and personality wise.

Offline nikkiolie

• Facebook
« Reply #15 on: September 15, 2008, 10:14:31 am »
Yeah it doesn't seem right that people should change to fit in but also look at what she is gaining. She is gaining self confidence and poise. She is learning how to put on make up and how to talk to guys. I doubt she is going to give up cosplay but with all those new attributes she will be an amazing cosplayer. She wont be afraid to wear more daring costumes and she wont be afraid to talk to "normal" people when they ask her what is going on.

And I don't consider being a beauty queen normal....that is something A LOT of people can't do....now if she wanted to be prom queen ::)

Offline makichan

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #16 on: September 15, 2008, 07:26:55 pm »
Part of me is convinced that she was chosen for the crown simply for television ratings, but that's just me. Also, was that dress even one of the ones she tried on before? And I have an idea that her room is somewhat back to normal now xD
If I had to move everything out of my place that I liked I would still look at the room and go, "It's nice, but it's not me. Needs more anime."
Lol

Offline SpearXXI

• Sailor Scout
    • Myspace
« Reply #17 on: September 16, 2008, 01:48:36 am »
Yeah, the show is bunk, just like the movie What Happens in Vegas, but the idea of teaching people that anything is possible is good. Thanks for the link though!

Offline nikkiolie

• Facebook
« Reply #18 on: September 16, 2008, 10:03:48 am »
I watched it for entertainment....and the fact that someone who cosplays is on tv ^_^

Offline SpearXXI

• Sailor Scout
    • Myspace
« Reply #19 on: September 16, 2008, 02:49:28 pm »
I watched it for entertainment....and the fact that someone who cosplays is on tv ^_^

Indeed. I'm not judgmental at what people watch, I was just stating that the execution of the show is hollow. I watch a lot of silly things to because it is entertaining, and it is good more people will become aware of cosplay.  I still get blank stares, when I say the word cosplay, because it is not an everyday common word yet in my town. lol

Offline nikkiolie

• Facebook
« Reply #20 on: September 16, 2008, 05:55:58 pm »
hell its not a common work in my town either, I want it to be one day. Anime is now common. Everyone knows what that is...if only we can get cosplay to that stage

oslapedo

« Reply #21 on: September 16, 2008, 08:41:26 pm »
Made actually came to my school last year, and my friend ended up starring in it. She was our JClub president, and the episode was full of anime goodness (her room was covered with anime posters that they constantly panned into ;D). At the end of the episode she had a super awesome prom with a guy from California, and she invested in normal activites, but in real life she is the same anime loving girl she was before the Made crew came. We were filmed dancing together, but luckily I ruined the scene by mentioning how odd it felt to be filmed XD

You shouldn't store much faith in television, because what you see on screen can be dramatically different from what actually occurs in real life. Watching an episode of a show where your school is the location makes it hard for your belief to be suspended x3

Offline nikkiolie

• Facebook
« Reply #22 on: September 16, 2008, 08:43:33 pm »
>_> you should post the episode because I would love to see it ^_^

oslapedo

« Reply #23 on: September 16, 2008, 09:31:30 pm »

Offline nikkiolie

• Facebook
« Reply #24 on: September 16, 2008, 09:32:39 pm »
so watching it now ^_^

oslapedo

« Reply #25 on: September 16, 2008, 09:38:21 pm »
Oh gawsh X3

By the way... this: "No longer the shy, boy-fearing girl in cat ears, Diana has been MADE into a confident and flirtatious female. She proved once and for all that even anime lovers can get a dream date to prom."

makes me lawl when I read it. Us anime fans are capable of basic human mating rituals? NO WAI!!!

Offline nikkiolie

• Facebook
« Reply #26 on: September 16, 2008, 09:55:09 pm »
lol

Just wondering....are you somewhere in this episode at all? I know you talked about being filmed during the dance but are you anywhere else?

Offline Syd-chan

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #27 on: September 16, 2008, 10:07:41 pm »
hell its not a common work in my town either, I want it to be one day. Anime is now common. Everyone knows what that is...if only we can get cosplay to that stage
>< In my town, people think anime is a kind of shoe. o.o I mean, is it? ...Cause I would buy it. ...If it was comfortable. But, my town only has a population of about...Oh, 400? Inside the city. Er. Town/Village

Offline nikkiolie

• Facebook
« Reply #28 on: September 16, 2008, 10:18:08 pm »
wow that's too bad

The one thing that annoys me about this show. Both of the episodes that are posted is that the person that is into anime is though of only having that one thing. So people see that girls that are into anime are very tomboyish and not that attractive and only talk about anime and what not.

I am really in to anime and manga and cosplaying is going to be a life long hobby of mine but I also find myself very attractive (others do too, its not just me ;D) and I love to do girly things. I like to dress up in dresses and put on make up and nice clothes. There are a lot of girls (even on this forum) that are like me. It just sucks that anime fan girls are portrayed that way =/

I want to see someone want to change to a cosplayer. That would be a GREAT episode.

Offline Mr Silmero

• Catgirl
« Reply #29 on: September 16, 2008, 10:25:25 pm »
>< In my town, people think anime is a kind of shoe. o.o I mean, is it? ...Cause I would buy it. ...If it was comfortable. But, my town only has a population of about...Oh, 400? Inside the city. Er. Town/Village

wow you actually beat my town....600 for me, and there were (graduated) two factions at my high school- either you liked anime or you only had a passing idea (DBZ) and hated it.

oslapedo

« Reply #30 on: September 17, 2008, 07:14:51 am »
I'm not in the episode, I made sure to sneak away from the cameraman whenever I saw her ;D

Offline Syd-chan

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #31 on: September 17, 2008, 07:26:21 am »
...XD

Offline makichan

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #32 on: September 17, 2008, 03:41:23 pm »
Oh gawsh X3

By the way... this: "No longer the shy, boy-fearing girl in cat ears, Diana has been MADE into a confident and flirtatious female. She proved once and for all that even anime lovers can get a dream date to prom."

makes me lawl when I read it. Us anime fans are capable of basic human mating rituals? NO WAI!!!
Definitely not. No way.
It just isn't possible.
Oh woe is meeeee. D:

Offline AnimeMatrix

• Chibi
« Reply #33 on: September 17, 2008, 04:33:48 pm »
Though I didn't watch the episode, I did watch a few clips. It seems kinda superficial to me and it perpatuates the myth that geeks n' freaks have no social skills. I'm not saying that what you watch is bad (heck- I watch "America's Next Top Model" as a guilty pleasure ^_^), but we nerds really do go out into the sunlight and talk to other human beings, though it's harder for some than others. I mean, if people really think about it, how is cosplay or the act of putting on a costume any different than the costumes we choose to wear in everyday life?

oslapedo

« Reply #34 on: September 17, 2008, 04:52:27 pm »
I agree, and I'd also like to say that what you see on screen isn't the 100% truth. In real life Diana wasn't nearly as anti-social as she was protrayed in her Made episode.

The crew were really nice though, and they even remade her bedroom so they're not THAT bad : D

Offline nikkiolie

• Facebook
« Reply #35 on: September 17, 2008, 04:58:07 pm »
thats cool. I know they will make people look the most extreme than they really are.

Offline MiriaRose

• Bunnygirl
    • The Kingdom of Heaven
« Reply #36 on: September 20, 2008, 06:00:12 pm »
Darnnit, Osla, you beat me to it. >.>

But, yeah, I'm shocked! Us anime lovers can get dates? We simply need to tell that to every fan, also the ones that have boyfriends/girlfriends and tell them of this revelation!  ;)

And Diana wasn't afraid of boys, she was afraid of getting rejected. xD Which most people are afraid of, mind you.

Silly MTV.
"Would you kindly. ."

oslapedo

« Reply #37 on: September 20, 2008, 06:05:12 pm »
Of course I beat you, you're never on :D

I like MTV for it's Beavis and Butthead, and Daria outwardly, but secretly I enjoy their shallow reality shows. I want to see a Made where someone turns into a nerd.

Offline MiriaRose

• Bunnygirl
    • The Kingdom of Heaven
« Reply #38 on: September 20, 2008, 06:08:33 pm »
I know, when I was watching Gokusen today I remembered that I should get on the forums. xD

Meh, Beavis and Butthead are soso-lala. I love the shallow reality shows, though. Exiled is hilarious.
"Would you kindly. ."